Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Imperial Cup Imperial Cup 2009

two-nine

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
couldn't agree with you more about Rene in the middle. Very strong game. As for the pk's WAB, being in the pipes does not scare me. Stepping up as the 11th man to take a pk, with all the pressure and all the fans. The feeling was unreal. I have never once taken a pk and all i was thinking about was not shanking it over the bar. Put my head down and hit it. When i stepped up for that pk, i guarantee that there was people who thought for sure it was over. The highest number i heard from someone was that he gave me 50-50. Most were probably at around 20-80. When that ball hit the net, i knew that we were going to win. oh and WAB, Jinky played an amazing game as he always does but MOTM was Trevor Short by far.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
29, I agree. Shorty (and also Jinky, who was hurt) was the best I have seen him in a while. I also thought Nico did a great job when Doddy had to come off. But Shorty's commitment and effectiveness at some 37 years of age against players 15 years younger than him was remarkable. I thought lawlow and the rest of the backline for WV were extremely solid. If the young guys take a lesson from the old guys (including yourself) in this game, they will be difficult to beat as the Provincials unwind.

Here is 29's Peno, same spot, (except #7 in this one isn't wearing a ball cap):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA2HXs3r1oQ&feature=related]YouTube - Beckham Penalty 2002 World Cup[/ame]

Sir M.

professor

Jul 22, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guys,

Good game all around. Five questions though that I have:

1. Why was there 5 minutes of extra time being played when no injuries occured in the second half?

2. Why was the referee treating players during the OT session? When has that been a job of the referee?

3. How many subs did West Van make? I counted 6 for sure

4. Why is everyone blowing smoke up Rene's butt. His performance was impartial to a fault because it stopped him from making obvious decisions on the field. When players jersery are grabbed and torn at (by Trevor Short in particular) how are calls not being made. THIS IS THE PROBLEM WITH THE LEAGUE AND UNTIL OFFICAITING WANTS TO BE ADDRESSED IT DENIES THE LEAGUE FROM TAKING ANY POSITIVE STEPS FORWARD. Most of the referees just do not want to get involved and don't want to make any tough decisions. It is a lack of respect to the players and a sign of insecurity in their abilities.

5. Why was Rene before the match hanging out with the West Van Masters and in previous weeks sitting on the West Van bench. This shows a complete conflict of interest and as a result impartiality is thrown out the window. At least be a bit less obvious.

two-nine

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
professor, watch an EPL game or a Serie A game or a Budesliga game or any other game for that matter and you tell me if there isn't shirt pulling or grabbing or anything like that. I think you need your eyes opened on how soccer is played. You sound like a bitter Columbus fan. Take your lumps and move on. If you think for a second that we won that game because of Rene then you need to give your head a shake. We won that game because of heart and passion and pride and not because of the ref or shirt pulling or bad calls. Maybe we won that game because after Columbus scored they thought the game was over and tried to stall until the end. Let me tell you something, this team does not give up and we fight and we battle and we claw with our fingernails until the end. Bottom line. 29

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Less diving and writhing on the ground means less time added, and several balls got booted into the creek. The other concerns seem to be rather ungracious sour grapes it sounds like to me. I am sure Columbus must be gutted as to the result, and I do not blame them. But do not blame the ref, he just did not buy into all of the diving and screaming any time anyone in white came near the blue team. On the run of play, WV deserved it IMO, it was not the referree's fault. Sorry. But people cannot (you and I are both examples I suppose) be completetly objective as to these types of things.

WAB, you were an impartial spectator, what are your thoughts as to Rene's objectivity and professionialism. I think that is what is being called out here.

PS, The sub total argument is baseless. Check the rules.

Sir M.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Watching from the sidelines and not giving a shite of who wins or loses, you could see both teams mixing it up, and I thought Rene was letting both teams play a spirited match. Professor, obviously you see things through the eyes of Columbus. The argument can be said:

1. Why wasn't Kindel tossed in the 1st half, or the OT, for all the tough-guy crap he pulls?

He should have, but Rene knew it was a hotly contested battle and no one got tossed. I don't know about the extra time played. There was one injury - he was down a couple of minutes - and a ton of subs in the 2nd half.

Look, my opinion is coming from a guy who has had a lot of run-ins with Rene in the past. But I can objectively look at it and say I think Rene has developed the ability to feel the pulse of a game.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
"watch an EPL game or a Serie A game or a Budesliga game or any other game for that matter and you tell me if there isn't shirt pulling or grabbing or anything like that."

Exactly, I thought that game had EPL passion because players who busted their asses got rewarded.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
29, I agree. Shorty (and also Jinky, who was hurt) was the best I have seen him in a while. I also thought Nico did a great job when Doddy had to come off.
Sir M.

Watching and having interest in the older guys, I was impressed with Shorty and Nico, both looked strong. Daly didn't really stand out, but did his job. But I'm sorry to say it because the guy has had a great soccer career, but sometimes players stick around a tad too long, and Doddy was a step behind all day.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Less diving and writhing on the ground means less time added,.... But do not blame the ref, he just did not buy into all of the diving and screaming any time anyone in white came near the blue team.

Sir M.

This is another reason why I was impressed with Rene. Rarely at our level do referees actually see if the defender gets the ball 1st on a tackle. All they see a slide tackle and they call it a foul because it was a strong challenge.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I thought that Dailly was very strong WAB. He did score the tying goal winner with a very torn up hamstring. Why are we talking only about the old guys though?

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I thought that Dailly was very strong WAB. He did score the tying goal winner with a very torn up hamstring. Why are we talking only about the old guys though?

Because the old guys I can relate to. Don't get me wrong, he had a good game. I guess I'm just used to Dailly standing out, but West Van has a lot of younger guys who do that now. The young guys remind me of the early 90's Club I team that won 2 Imperial Cups in a row; tough, fast, full of energy and tenacity, and never out of any game.

I was impressed with both teams. It was a great game to watch. It had a very EPL style to it.

SirM, but can you imagine if the Master final was after the Open? None of the old guys would be around drinking on the sidelines. Sapp and WV did bring a lot of extra spirit to the game.
BTW, double up the dogs next year and put the concession stand at the back of the goal. (10% consulting fee)

VMSL take note - build on this.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Noted. We can do this again next year easily, and can make improvements. But it has been a while since we had this type of atmosphere at a game, and it is doable to do this again in future. 600 people out was just like back in the 90s, and if the league partners, it can be done again, no problem.

Two bucks is too cheap for sausages though.

Sir M.

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
WOW, all this credit to WV players, and not one mention of Columbus keeper Thomas Lindley stopping three penos.Ok 29 you stopped your penos, but as a keeper have some class and credit your counter part!

Also Rene did a so so job, warning a Columbus player for a shirt pull and nothing for a WV player for a studs up tackle.

Maybe Im a bitter Columbus fan, but IMO on the run of play Columbus should have won the game.

None the less congrats WV, just count your subs next time it may come back to haunt you.

PS: WAB heaven forbid Sap gets out of the dressing room for a team thats getting ready to play!

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guys,

Good game all around. Five questions though that I have:

1. Why was there 5 minutes of extra time being played when no injuries occured in the second half?

2. Why was the referee treating players during the OT session? When has that been a job of the referee?

3. How many subs did West Van make? I counted 6 for sure

4. Why is everyone blowing smoke up Rene's butt. His performance was impartial to a fault because it stopped him from making obvious decisions on the field. When players jersery are grabbed and torn at (by Trevor Short in particular) how are calls not being made. THIS IS THE PROBLEM WITH THE LEAGUE AND UNTIL OFFICAITING WANTS TO BE ADDRESSED IT DENIES THE LEAGUE FROM TAKING ANY POSITIVE STEPS FORWARD. Most of the referees just do not want to get involved and don't want to make any tough decisions. It is a lack of respect to the players and a sign of insecurity in their abilities.

5. Why was Rene before the match hanging out with the West Van Masters and in previous weeks sitting on the West Van bench. This shows a complete conflict of interest and as a result impartiality is thrown out the window. At least be a bit less obvious.

Complete and utter bollocks......and sour bollocks at that. Rene is one of the better refs around. He doesn't care if he is reffing Columbus/Sapperton/RCIU. He never sticks around after and has a beer with any of the teams because he doesn't think that is the right thing to do. You should have been glad you had him as a ref. I can think of MANY more refs who would/could not do the job Rene does. At least the game wasn't abandoned.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
WOW, all this credit to WV players, and not one mention of Columbus keeper Thomas Lindley stopping three penos.Ok 29 you stopped your penos, but as a keeper have some class and credit your counter part!

Also Rene did a so so job, warning a Columbus player for a shirt pull and nothing for a WV player for a studs up tackle.

Maybe Im a bitter Columbus fan, but IMO on the run of play Columbus should have won the game. :D

None the less congrats WV, just count your subs next time it may come back to haunt you.

PS: WAB heaven forbid Sap gets out of the dressing room for a team thats getting ready to play!

It's all your fault, WAB, and Rene's fault that Columbus lost. :mad: Nothing to do with a better team beating them. Nothing.

DCR20

Sep 11, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
A highly entertaining, well officiated game. Some outstanding performances on both sides. Both keepers were magic on the day. And only 5 subs, as per League Rules were used. I am certain that a Clan coach or manager would have brought this to the ref`s attention if infact 6 or more subs were played. But all the same, thanks for the advise Zenga.

Masry

Dec 15, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Zenga,

I would have to agree with you on the mention to Thomas Lindley. Easily had to be the MOTM. Saved 3 pks in a row that could have won WV the game earlier. Easily one person who needs a lot more credit than given.

thedrake

Mar 30, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great atmosphere at Kinsman. This league should find a way to get this sort of atmosphere on a regular basis, i.e. double headers, side by side games etc. Thought neither team was great on the day, although if forced to choose a better side, I'd go with Clan. First half was a mess from both sides, but as the game settled in the 2nd half it looked as though Clan had more of the ball/chances, WV looked tired and old; ultimately lucky to tie. Both keepers are to be commended for their efforts, although someone needs to find WV's keeper a muzzle.
side-note - asked lino how much injury he had.. he said no more than 3... I clocked 4:45 from the ref.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0