Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Free Agent Frenzy!

suburbanator

Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just read on Sportsnet that Sundin won't be deciding this week (or possibly later) on his future, if he'll even play again. What does that do for us as the players left are being scooped up as we speak.

It leaves you screwed like Kevin Lowe was last season, he banked on landing two specific people and when those deals went south he missed out completely.

The canucks will goto backup plan B2, which is Demitra and a couple more No-names.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just read on Sportsnet that Sundin won't be deciding this week (or possibly later) on his future, if he'll even play again. What does that do for us as the players left are being scooped up as we speak.
Great...Just what Vancouver needs... an overpaid old guy with his heart not in it. If he wanted to be here, especially for $10million he would have fallen over himself saying yes.

I can't wait to cheer for the Oilers this year.

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
west coast express reunited? kinda

naslund demitra bertuzii? it is what it is

sedin sedin jagr?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Man, I hope the 'Nucks have something going on behind the scenes. This Sundin e-mail sounded a whole lot like Forsberg's before he went and signed w/ Colorado last year.

Looking pretty bleak when you're talking about bringing Bert back. Maybe at $1m. Maybe. And that's because I'm desperate.

suburbanator

Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Looking pretty bleak when you're talking about bringing Bert back. Maybe at $1m. Maybe. And that's because I'm desperate.

Sadly because of his contract buy-out, he gets paid $4MILL without even lacing up. Anything paid to him on top of that is just gravy for the uninspired prick. (used to be one of my favorite players..... but he went soft, meek and weak).

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
When i see what other clubs are adding.It looks like Gillis is spinnig the wheels.Johnson at thirty two and most points of eighteen.Lets face it backward move.Darcy Horduchuk a forward move and if he did get Nolen that also a fraction forward.We need two younger guy plus a Huselius and we will do fine.Sandin is a good player but lets face it is is an old dog.And god help ten milion dolars.
Only with speed and size and youth that we will get better.Pitsburg has two young guys that would fit the club.Pens need D help.Bieksa would love to play in US.Burt is still better than many.We should take care of our own.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
18 points is backwards, but 1 point is forward.

Excellent observation.

What are your thoughts on Global Warming, i.e., globil wormig?

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
That is Ok Colubus wants Nasland and Morison.We can trade for him.Let them have Johnston also and get a youg guy.Only way forward is getting youg players.Canuck tried that root befor with Mes and it went down hill.Would you play if you were twins if a guy came and got ten millin dollars and you get five and have maybe more points.Mr Gillis is got bit of water in his ears he needs to shake it a bit.After all Mason and twins are as good as any line.It is our second line that can not do it.Welwood has the hands and speed we just need Burt back and a young guy with size on that line.Pyatt should do it but some one must have bulls to get him going.Fourth line is starting ok with Horduchuck
and two young guys from the farm club.Our buiggest problem is,we do not have skilled D that would jump up in to play and get back when needed.Thats the guy that should get five six million and than look out.Bomister is the guy that we need or a guy like him.Broure is onother one.Lets see what he does.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
OK, everyone else has beat around the bush i'll lay it out.

Missedher Bass, eether stopp drinkig b4r u poast, oar yuse yor spel czek. Puleeeze!

Superstriker

Aug 16, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
OK, everyone else has beat around the bush i'll lay it out.

Missedher Bass, eether stopp drinkig b4r u poast, oar yuse yor spel czek. Puleeeze!

I got a facking headache just TRYING to read that crap... I guess the jokes on me for even trying.. Man where's the ejumacasion these daze

suburbanator

Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I got a facking headache just TRYING to read that crap... I guess the jokes on me for even trying.. Man where's the ejumacasion these daze

I think its intentional, I have read 5 of his posts in the last few days and they are all guesswork when it comes to the spelling. Nobody is that challenged, right? IT reminds me of when you use one of those online language converters to convert a sentence to english and half the words get an ass-facking.

fack.

On topic, what does it say about the Canucks 6 free agents, that NONE of them have been signed during this frenzy of signings? ROFL...

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think its intentional, I have read 5 of his posts in the last few days and they are all guesswork when it comes to the spelling. Nobody is that challenged, right? IT reminds me of when you use one of those online language converters to convert a sentence to english and half the words get an ass-facking.

fack.

On topic, what does it say about the Canucks 6 free agents, that NONE of them have been signed during this frenzy of signings? ROFL...

I think it says like the papers are saying they are mulling their options. TV says the Wild are interested in these two and the Province says that Morrison is interested in a winner if he has to move.

Sundin will simply use the Canuck offer to do better in the east IF he decides to play at all. I can't see him playing in the West at this stage of his career.
Unlike Messier he comes with a family and his home is closer to the east than Vancouver is.

One fan on radio yesterday specualted that the Aquilinis might actually want to reduce payroll but made this offer knowing that Sundin won't take it just to make their Gillis pick look like he is trying. Remember most owners of these teams have other profitable businesses so the sports team is not having to actually make them serious money but can be used for tax losses. I am not sure but I suspect these Canuck owners might want to make money from this team.

If you can't compete and beat Detroit then maybe go cheap and try and get a decent mix of players who are hungry and playing well to get better contracts over high paid guys where the dollars aren't reasonable and they are no longer motivated to earn better contracts. Just a thought.

If the Canadian dollars ever drops below .90 again and gets back to the 70s then the NHL will be in a mess. Not suggesting that it will get below .90 but it is going down in the next twelve months to maybe .93.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I haven't a clue as to the credibility of this site but check this Detroit fan's stats comparing Detroit and Vancouver on their drafting records.

KuklasKorner : Canucks and Beyond : Canucks News Today

Canucks and Beyond

Next entry: Unexpected Hockey Fans

Previous entry: A New Set of Twins & The Surrey Sizzle
Canucks News Today
by Alanah on 06/23/08 at 12:41 PM
Comments (3)

* Ed Willes at the Province points out why Mike Gillis is having trouble fitting into the Old Boys Club of the NHL.
* Despite the problems Willes points out above, Tony Gallagher at the Province remains unfazed, and is still the acting PR voice for Gillis in the Vancouver press.
* Sportsnet television is broadcasting their much-hyped Trevor Linden feature tonight. Air time is 9pm PT.
* Ron Delorme, part of the Canucks organization for some 26 years, has tattoos of all the Canucks logos on his butt. (Seriously.) Anyway, Iain MacIntyre at the Vancouver Sun talks with the Canucks scouting director of the last nine years. All indications are that he’s on his way out.

Update 10:40am PT: Given the Delorme story, below is a bit of support for his drafting record, and from an unlikely source: a Detroit Red Wings fan.

About a week ago, shep commented on this post, pointin to some stats that don’t get as much attention as the duds in Vancouver’s recent history.

So I’ve reprinted his calculations here. (And thanks again, Shep!)

Far be it from me to suggest that the Canucks are better at anything than the Wings, but… Using the data at hockeydb.com, I totaled up a few NHL stats for skaters drafted over the ten years from ‘96 to ‘05. The results may surprise you.

First number is for Detroit, the second for Vancouver:

Players
25 - 28

Games Played
2442 - 4195

Goals
457 - 577

Assists
740 - 1057

Obviously there are many factors that are not reflected here (number of low first round picks, mix of forwards/defense, ability to “season” players in the minors, what the prospects are like right now, etc), but taken at face value, I don’t think you can simply say that Detroit rules and Vancouver drools.

The time span I used was for players drafted those years. I didn’t bother with ‘06 and ‘07 because those prospects haven’t played much yet (the lone exception is Matthias--you can add another player, 4GP, 2G, 0A, 2PTS to the Wings’ ledger if you want).

The stats I used are NHL career totals (not just with DET/VAN), and appear to be current thru the 07-08 season. I say “appear” because I did not confirm all fifty-plus players. I spot checked the stats for Hank, Pavel, and the Sedins, and those are all up to date.

jungleboy

Jun 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
IOne fan on radio yesterday specualted that the Aquilinis might actually want to reduce payroll but made this offer knowing that Sundin won't take it just to make their Gillis pick look like he is trying. Remember most owners of these teams have other profitable businesses so the sports team is not having to actually make them serious money but can be used for tax losses. I am not sure but I suspect these Canuck owners might want to make money from this team. .

totally false. Tax losses can only be used against income from similar businesses. Aquilini can't simply shift the losses from the Canucks and move them to the real estate or investment division.

If you want to make the franchise more valuable, only true method to increase the value is to build a winner. Even increasing seating capacity won't do it. It's the intangible or goodwill from the sale of a sports franchise will the owners really make more money.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0