Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canucks 2015/16 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A bit of an unorthodox move by the 'Nucks to send him home and essentially advertise they are shopping him, but I do think that was done out of respect, to try and drum up interest, any interest, for him, and get him to a team that has a need for someone like him. Unfortunately, the injuries seem to have caught up to him. He can't seem to stay healthy for long enough to find his game legs anymore. The old speed is fleeting. Without his speed, Higgins is not worth keeping in the line-up vs. someone like Virtanen, who needs the minutes, and exposure to NHL opposition.

He was a good depth player for the 'Nucks when they needed him most...but, yeah...that time has passed.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would love Emerson to score two tonight including OT win as we need it. One win in ten OT games tell you that the team is close. I think coach is making a mistake with three v three. We lack speed and many times get out of place on D. Edler forgets do stay back, in my opinion we lost four points due to that.
Best of luck to Higgins and his wife and child. I am sure Higgs will still score few goals in NHL.
Utica could have used him for seven eight games. They dropped their last four games Higgs needs playing time to get his speed back. If team makes play-off's guy like him is needed.
Fine to see Virtenen play, points are what we need. Coach needs to stay with NHL moves forget junior in and out.
Hard to watch yet one thinks it will get better. One of the small D has to go or we will not make the play-off's.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Base, I think that's the point of the matter...the team is not "better" w/ Higgins in the line-up, meanwhile, he's taking playing time from a guy like Virtanen, who may help you in some areas (forecheck, hitting, energy, good hands for possibly creative play) and hurt you in others (defensive awareness, untimely penalties). I think they see the actual "on-ice" overall production as a wash, but tipping the scale is Virtanen's upside. He needs to play, and not at Junior.

It really is a shame that NHL teams can't send players under 20 to the farm (I think it's 20, I don't know the rule exactly). There really is a need and benefit to getting a player like Virtanen to Utica.

Anyone see the game last night? Good result, and must have been an emotional one for a lot of those guys. Nice little brooooo-haha at the end. What happened there?

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The addition of Etem spelled the end of Higgins. Great team guy but father time has caught up w him. Canucks got out in front of the trade stuff to save Higgins from having to answer questions when all of a sudden he wasn't at the rink any more.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyone see the game last night?
Watched the first half of the game. Despite the record and the chances of making the show this year being slim to none, I'm really starting to enjoy the way this team is starting to shape up.

The young guys seem to be coming into their own and I thought Etem was noticeable in his first game in a Nucks jersey.

Sadly our Achilles heel is going to be on the backend - we need to find a stud #1 somewhere or else we will be headed down the same road as the Oilers of the last decade.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
No we will never be as bad as Edmonton and their managers. Canucks have twice as many scouts than players. Team has to go forward, it is on the right path.
Edler with addition of Shinkaruk could bring number one D plus a prospect St Luie has a guy or two. Hami will get us nothing like Higgens due to their cap hit. I hope some one gives Higgens a chance he still can play in this league for two three years easy. He lost his game shape due to his broken footand just did not get a playing chance to get back in to shape youngsters are pushing for spots. Club needs to sell more shirts, just the way it goes.
Emerson is a fast player, he will fit in. might sell the most shirts. As much as I hate to see Higgens hurt with his family we just as much like youth movement. If I was Higgens I would go to Europe and play six more years, Swiss league is good Craford is there. No better place to ski and live a life. Higgs has all the money he needs to live. He is a proud person he needed better from Linden and Benning. Burrows needs to set it straight or he will be in the same place in a year.
Grenier and Gaunce will be here in a near future.
See Edmonton needs a guy like Higgens and Hammi or they will sit on the bottom for years to come. I just can not understand their GM. Kids and more kids will not cut it. We need Higgens to speak and clear his name sad to see how it went.

Last edited:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I totally agree on the Euro shout.

Looks like Higgens is going to waivers, hopefully picked up.

At the end of the day, I have a hard time feeling sorry for NHL players and their families. Higgens is pocketing a good chunk of change to play a game. We should all be so lucky.

I also don't feel sorry for the wives, they knew exactly what they were getting into, and at the end of the day, really, is life that tough? The wives are not exactly hard pressed. As you said, he has a second lease on life as a hockey player in Europe if he so chooses. He could easily stretch his career in a very cool city and get himself and his family a very unique experience for the next 3-5 years. You said it yourself, Base. He has not been hard-done by, I'm sure he'd be the first to say that. They tried shopping him, they tried advertising him so that he may be traded to a team of his choice. No bites, now it's waivers. I don't see how he was mistreated at all. Father time stops for nobody, unless your last name is Sedin.

I guess I'd burn my own money to have the problems Higgens is having, is all I'm trying to say.

As for Regs: 100% yes, we do need a stud defenseman. Even a few near studs will be fine. We were quite spoiled for a number of years, with a very deep crop of good, serviceable defensemen. This may indeed be where Benning will have to show his skills in scouting / finding diamonds in the rough.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
At the end of the day, I have a hard time feeling sorry for NHL players and their families. Higgens is pocketing a good chunk of change to play a game. We should all be so lucky.

I also don't feel sorry for the wives, they knew exactly what they were getting into, and at the end of the day, really, is life that tough? The wives are not exactly hard pressed.

Totally agree Dude, but its not just the wives, its the kids too.

As much as its Christmas day every day playing in the Big Leagues, it can be a toll on you and your family to be uprooted and moved all the time.
You think your missus would be cool with it if you moved 3 times in 4 years say?
Seriously, think about it?
You might say differently if you looked in the mirror.
And yes, I know you look in the mirror every day at your coif but its an analogy I'm talking here. :D
Look at Luongo - His missus just decided to stay in Florida and not even move here.
You think he or she liked that?
I know that money talks but you'd be surprised about that even outside of any professional sport.

I have a friend who works for a major Canadian company who has been geographically moved around to move up the ladder and now when he gets the promotion of a lifetime, she doesn't want to leave the city they're in now that the kids are in school.
Marriage and career are on the rocks as a result.
There is a human factor here and indeed money does not always buy happiness.

Loved the donnybrook at the end last night by the way.
Love it that Daniel told the Panthers bench to go fcuk themselves and Garrett saying 'old time hockey out there'.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nope. Sorry. If we were talking CFL or MLS guys then yes, fair point indeed. We aren't. We are talking about a well paid NHLer on a guaranteed contract.

Yes, honey, money talks, call the fcuking moving company and fire the nanny.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude you make me laugh. Some kids have hell of a life to make it to NHL. Just look at Burrows where he came from. There is a guy on Alaska Aces just like Burrows. Guy by the name Collin Valcourt just needs a dam chance. And also Kyle Jean Idaho Steelheads.
Sometimes guys over look what it took to get to NHL. For most four practices plus a game for 15 years parent always hope. Higgens was a solid two way player here, my oh my how people change when your service is no longer needed.
Two good scouts and good old Canuck could rock every team coming our way. Mls that is an American League maybe five Canadians will get a job, a pure joke. NHL is all over the world open to all.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey, I don't dispute it's hard, it's because it is hard that they are rewarded. But let's get real, these guys are not hard done by. Higgens has earned millions and millions playing a game, and his wife and kids have benefited. They are not charity cases, not even close, so spare me.

Poor NHLers getting traded. They have to fly first class to their next city, did you know that?

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Self high fives due what's that all about. Canucks keep on bringing guys from Utica yet the guys don't get to play when they get here. One good thing is a NHL pay rest of it looks silly. Why bring a guy is you don't trust his play? Fedun is a good passing D but hates rough going in the corners. It's getting closer to trade dead line maybe one of the smaller guys will go.
Teangs are heating up in Canucks group points are a must, playing Washington you need rough and tough line to stop Ovi and his line WD hopes for good things not ging to be easy from tonight on.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rumor some one from Huricanes is on the way here, some one will be on the way to North Carolina. Not sure who they talk about.bit of radio talk in Cain town.
I just can not see it both teams need better D. Isles or Detroit maybe, Detroit loves Shinkaruk. I hope Linden does not get rid of that guy. Future Datskuk in that lad.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Franchise future looks good with Dorsett on line number one,WD must be tiny shall soccer player. Down three to one, one head to kick the crap of that guy sticking his stick in Burrows face. I do not see the reason paying Prust and Dorsett. Good fight two or three will bring every one together for next game. Them refs like Washington stars bit much, In good old days guys would have taken care of business. Pedan should have been in the line up.
Franchise bigo bago boom. Two way street some times we coach frucks up. It's all about pay back.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Franchise future looks good with Dorsett on line number one,WD must be tiny shall soccer player. Down three to one, one head to kick the crap of that guy sticking his stick in Burrows face. I do not see the reason paying Prust and Dorsett. Good fight two or three will bring every one together for next game. Them refs like Washington stars bit much, In good old days guys would have taken care of business. Pedan should have been in the line up.
Franchise bigo bago boom. Two way street some times we coach frucks up. It's all about pay back.

This is a classic Base post. No idea where to go with this.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Boys did you see that Murkstrum today, hell he looks better each game. I am not sure who will play against the Rangers WD will he make mistake again and put in Miller. Youth is bigging to step up and play well. Etem sure has speed, he will be a good fit. Even Vey looks like he is starting to figure it out in NHL.
Fedun played OK he even got a point. Slavic jets are starting to fire up with BO'S play good to see.
Team needs a guy that will step up and do bit more bingo bango boom to bring fun in to watching the games. John Scoot went to Montreal today along with Bartley. One could see two six foot eight inch go at in in Boston or Montreal. If you think we are in tough to make the play-offs what about Montreal group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0