Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Books

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I see where you are going here

behind (meaning place your palm towards the ground and touch on top) -Yikes REgsi, I have to go check myself, I just got excited by that last statement!:eek: :rolleyes: :D ;)

+SCdoesnotgetexcitedTHATeasily:p

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tiner,

That is one book that I will read. I always find books about the 'Troubles' interesting because they are often very pro-British. Anyway, another book that deals with the 'Troubles' from both sides is called "God and the Gun". It looks a lot at how involved the church is on both sides of the problem. I would give this a 9/10 too, only because some parts angered me tremendously. :)

Captain

tiner

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
thanx

good one captain. that is one of the main reasons this book is good. taylor's writing is balanced and it looks at the obvious bias in the way the english dealt with the ira but failed to deal with the loyalists derailing the peace process time and time again through murder.

am aiming to live in northern ireland in 2004 so am trying to have a lot more knowledge b4 i go. will check out your read as well.

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Into Thin Air

I got this one for Christmas: a 1996 Everest disaster. I've since finished a rebuttal book (The Climb) from a guide on the mountain at the time that was somewhat slagged (the guide, in Into Thin Air) and also viewed an IMAX DVD that has a ton of information (they were on the mountain filming at the time it all went down).

It actually got me out of a non-reading period I was going through.

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Another thing...

I can't get the image of these guys left to die at 28,000 feet (a la Jack Nicholson at the end of The Shining) out of my mind.

tiner

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
thinkin' time books

all are recommended to read 'ishmael' , 'my ishmael' and 'the story of B' by daniel quinn.

also 'sophie's world' by jostein garner. this one in particular may hurt your brain a little but is worth it.

i love this thread!!!!

deb

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
i agree

I would like to second the recommendation to read the Daniel Quinn books. They are very interesting in that you can either read them as simply a well - written or story or they are the kind of books that have the power to change your way of thinking forever.

tiner

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
aussie hero/icon

enjoying a book by peter carey at the moment on the history of the kelly gang.
for those who dont know ned kelly was great aussie bushranger who created a big metal suit went out in a blaze of glory(sorry couldnt help it....) in a big shoot out with cops then was hung. bit of a robin hood style dude.

the book is written as though he is telling the story so it takes a while to get into but is really interesting read.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
reputation hari kari....

I don't know why I'm doing this but..... Having sat on the Tube for months looking down my nose at guys my age (47) on their way to work in The City of London reading Harry Potter books (albeit leather-bound Harry Potter books with gold-leaf trim and pages bound in rare crocodile skin) it pains me no end to say that I am currently reading the second book in the series, 'Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets.' Despite the fact that it's full of wizards, goblins, witches, and words like Hufflepuff and Slytherin that make keeper giggle while he reads under his duvet every night so as not to upset his Mum by being up after 9:30, it's a fcuking top read. I still can't bring myself to read it on The Tube, however. Of the three things I swore I would never succumb to over here only two are left; I will never wear cufflinks nor will I ever wear a pink or purple shirt to work. I'm adamant about them two.

Harry Potter wouldn't be caught dead in a pink shirt.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I could have sworn you nicked one of Bethel's red-silk shirts and yellow ties last summer.

I bet Andy never read Harry Potter.
-Sensei.

tiner

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
just a question

anybody read "The Illuminatus trilogy" by robert shea and robert anton wilson ?????
very interesting........especially for those who like a good conspiracy theory when it comes their way.

the new movie "about a boy" starring hugh grant is based on the novel by nick hornby (same title) well worth the read before going to put up with dear hugh.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Very British humour........

Anyone who has ever read the Viz comic will enjoy this site: http://www.framleyexaminer.com/

Anyone who hasn't read the Viz comic should know that the website is a very British piss-take. Like, it's not real. And shite. If you struggle with very dry humour and find Roseanne and Friends amusing don't bother this might be a wee bit 'intellectual' for you........

They've also got a new book out which is sheer brilliance and one day might be winnable in an upcoming TTP competition. Details to follow..........

The advert from the publisher (the language used and wordplay is fcuking cracking.......most won't get it)....... insert massively over-used 'ironic' smiley-face here if you like, I can't be arsed with them anymore.

AN INTRODUCTION

By The Editors

LOCAL NEWSPAPERS have long been society's thermometer. Unlike real thermometers, though, you can stick them anywhere and get an instant result.

The Framley Examiner is one such thermometer. Launched in March, 1978, it has since been measuring the temperature of local news, sport, opinion, entertainments, businesses and pleasures. The paper's patient is the healthy town of Framley, and the surrounding peripheral environs.

Framley is much like any other town in Britain. Indeed, travel writer Quentin Hammer recently described it as much "like any other town in Britain." And, much like any other town in Britain, there are always stories of incandescent importance and feelgood fundraising fighting for space on its pages.

Because whether it's a fireman stuck up a tree being rescued by a cat, or the local W.I. burying themselves in a time capsule, or just someone selling their second-hand child's Paul Simon costume, you'll find them all in The Framley Thermometer!

After 23 faithful years serving its readers, The Framley Examiner took a giant lip into the future in 2001, when it set up its first website. We only have one scanner in the office, and Pete is the only one who knows how to use it, and he only works Thursdays and Fridays, so the site is regularly updated with a careful selection of pages from the thermometer.

Since passing this technological millstone, people from all over the world and further have been able to log up and read all the news from Framley, Whoft, St Eyot's, Wripple, Molford, Chutney, Sockford and (since we realised we'd forgotten somewhere and started including it) even Effing Sodbury.

Now The Framley Examiner is being made into a book, fittingly called The Framley Examiner. Penguin, a publishing company from down London way, have decided that this thermometer is worth preserving on paper for future generations of readers and nurses.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Huh. Wonder if it's anything like The Onion which has been around for quite a while now. Be warned though it contains sarcastic humour which is actually funny and which British people might, therefore, not quite understand.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
tired........

It probably is a little like The Onion apart from the fact local newspapers like The Framley Examiner actually do exist.

You're right on every other level, however. The British aren't known for their sense of humour and the septics never ever nick any of their ideas from this island.............

I don't understand the rest of your post.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You two may not have invented sarcasm but you sure as hell are refining it. Perhaps you could create a TTP endowment of sorts. The Bachelor of Sarcasm. People could earn their B.Sa. here on TTP and then go forth in the world and take the piss out of everyone everywhere everytime. I only see one problem with the constant use of such caustic wit. What happens when you're not being sarcastic? It could turn out to be 'The boy who cried wolf' situation. No one will ever know when you're not taking the piss. For example, you might say to your honey one day: "Honey, I really think I've had enough of you. I think we should part ways" And of course she would say:"Oh honey, stop taking the piss" which would lead you to say "Uh, well, I'm actually not taking the piss this time, baby" which leads to the reply "Oh, you're such a joker, baby kitten" followed by "Listen, I'm being serious here, I think maybe we should take an extended break and by that I mean the rest of our lives you freak" inevitably countered with "You're so funny my little bunny-pooh, let's go to sleep now and we can get up early and watch Oprah all day!". So you see it is a dangerous path you walk, boys. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nobody would ever call Jinky "my little bunny-pooh".

No, seriously, I mean it this time.

~DrPhil.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
nothing whatsoever about books......

Dapotayto,

You raise some interesting points. None of which, apart from a very tenuous connection with your Peter and the Wolf idea, have the slightest thing to do with books.

When I'm not being sarcastic I spend my time at www.nottakingthepiss.com. Or on the toilet. Or both.

Either that or I swing by the studio flat Keeper shares with One Dart to hone the stand-up act we're working on.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
After a year being on a waiting list at the library, I finally bit the bullet and picked up The da Vinci Code at Costco.

I finished it in a heart beat.

I won't bother explaining the plot (you can read it on the official website for yourselft), but I will tell you that you will not be able to put it down once you start. If you enjoy mysteries, you'll be riveted, as virtually every chapter ends with some sort of minor cliffhanger.

Awesome novel.

N.B. Quite sometime ago, someone posted a link to the online webquest based on the book's premise. I never completed it, but I might give it another try now. This is it: http://www.randomhouse.com/doubleday/davinci/index-ctc.html

Likewise, there is another puzzle on Dan Brown's (the author) website: http://www.randomhouse.com/doubleday/davinci/ (I assume it's a different puzzle)

Sliver

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I read The da Vinci Code after doing the webquest a year ago or so. It was a great read like you said.
Pick up "Angles and Demons" also by Dan Brown. It has the same main character as in the DaVinci Code and takes place before The Davinci code.

It's about the Vatican and The Illuminati. Also a very good read.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0