Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Best Ever Canadian Soccer Player

Who's the best Canadian soccer player ever?

• Bob Lenarduzzi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brian Budd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dale Mitchell

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Paul Peschisolido

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Branko Segota

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Owen Hargreaves

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Craig Forrest

Votes: 24 52.2%
  • Kara Lang

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Christine Sinclair

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Easy choice for me.

Name: Branko Segota

Postiton: Srtiker

Born: 06/08/1961 - Rijeka, Croatia

Hometown: Toronto

Clubs: Baltimore Spirit (NPSL), St. Louis Storm, San Diego Sockers, Mew York Arrows (MISL), Toronto Blizzard (CSL), Golden Bay Earthquakes, Fort Lauderdale Strikers, Rochester Lancers (NASL)

Capped: u20, u23, B, A.

Notes:

represented Canada at the 1979 World Youth Championnat in Japan and at the 1986 World Cup
has a prolific indoor career as well - 2nd in all-time MISL goals/points, and 3rd in all-time assists

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
He's English, he thinks.

I can't believe people are voting for Hargreaves. Remember he's the kid who dissowned his country to go play for the his dad's birth nation. This is the same country that coached him from a kid to be the player he is now. Gratitude.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fcuk me. He played for Golden Bay? Can I change my vote?

You had me at Srtiker.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can't believe people are voting for Hargreaves. Remember he's the kid who dissowned his country to go play for the his dad's birth nation. This is the same country that coached him from a kid to be the player he is now. Gratitude.
And that's exactly why Branko won't be named Croatia's best, either. :rolleyes:

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Forrest and Hargreaves

I think Craig Forrest achieved the most in his now done playing career but I wouldn't crap on Hargreaves for his decision to pursue his career and national play elsewhere.

Let's face it. There have been many top athletes who immigrated to Canada and who chose to take out Canadian citizenship and perform in Canadian colours internationally. To criticize someone trying to do it the other way is unfair.

I thought Randy Ragan might have deserved a place in the poll, but then again I may be biased. He doesn't match Forrest or Hargreaves when you come down to it, but he did perform well for Canada, much like Dale Mitchell who is another outstanding local guy.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Out of all those players listed, how many actually played in a World Cup? 2?

I refuse to put Lennard at the top thus Mitchell it is :D

Cheers,

~Regs.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hmmm...I could have sworn that was Hargreaves playing at the World Cup last year. Segota played in '86 as per CDK's post. Is that the two you're referring, uh, to?

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I actually agree with Reccos

I must agree with this statement...
Let's face it. There have been many top athletes who immigrated to Canada and who chose to take out Canadian citizenship and perform in Canadian colours internationally. To criticize someone trying to do it the other way is unfair.
Take tennis players Mary Pierce and Greg Rusedski... They are still Canadians to me... Case in point... I still cheer for them as a sentimental favourite becasue of the "Canadian Connection", besides Mary has a great arse!!! What about Gold medal winning Olympians Lennox Lewis, Owen Nolan and Daniel Agalia (sp) (who were not even born here)!!! Don't we cheer them on???

Lets face it, we live in a multicultural society and our bloodlines are all over the shop... Love them or hate them, Canadians born here or not, chose to represent us or not are all still CANADIAN!!!

It always takes a typical ignorant cnut like Steve1234 to be negative... Not that being a Celtic supporter has anything to do with it...:rolleyes:

One patriot Guinness...

My vote goes to Craig Forrest, but Hargrieves may surpase him by the time his career is out??? I was thinking Tomas Ruzinski should be in this pole after his career ends as well, but than I remembered he wasn't even born in Canada!!!:rolleyes: ;)

Ps. Interesting to see 50% of Hargreaves votes have came from keepers...:eek:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Have to say Hargreaves...don't know if any of those other players would have cracked England's starting 11. Possibly Forest, thus, close second.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What about Gold medal winning Olympians Lennox Lewis, Owen Nolan and Daniel Agalia (sp) (who were not even born here)!!! Don't we cheer them on???

Lets face it, we live in a multicultural society and our bloodlines are all over the shop... Love them or hate them, Canadians born here or not, chose to represent us or not are all still CANADIAN!!!
To kill Guinness' point. Two words for you... Brett Hull. Another two...fcuking cnut.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Did Hargreaves actually play? I thought he was injured?

I didn't realise Branco played in '86... the 'too' I was thinking of were Lennard & Mitchell

~Regs.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I thought he got a start in the first match...can't recall, and can't be bothered to look it up. I may have it confused w/ a warm up match.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
My two bits

Depends on how you define "best".

Talent?
I'm surprised Radzinski (sp?) didn't make the list.
Segota for sure was fcuking awesome.

My definition of best would be a combination of what the player accomplished away from the national stage along with what his/her committment was to the National team and what accolades they helped the country achieve.

For example, Kenny Dalglish for Scotland.
Represented his country well whilst playing for Liverpool and racking up silverware there while still being committed to the National Program.

In that, Forrest it is in a landslide.
Segota and Lenny Bobbaduzzi in a tie at a distant second.

The girls are too young yet to judge.

RF

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I had the opportunity to run into Radzinsky down in the Dominican Republic and we spoke about why he didnt play matches for the National Team, apparently they told him that they would play more games in Europe, and club vs country thing came up.

He is a very nice guy hopefully the next manager of Canada will include him in the squad they needhim if they have any hope to get to Germany.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Name: Branko Segota

Postiton: Srtiker

Born: 06/08/1961 - Rijeka, Croatia

Hometown: Toronto

Bribes Taken: One

Segota had a lot of skill but was probably the laziest cnut to ever put on a Canadian jersey. Chris Cheuden had more skill than any of those guys but unfortunately for him, he made a lot of bad decisions of the field.

I would have to go with Craig Forrest who single handedly won the Gold Cup for Canada in 2000(was that the year?).

I can't believe someone on TTP would even put Lenarduzzi as a distant second. He was fcuking AWFUL and I'm not saying that because of our history. We would TTP out of him in practice because he was so bad. Rub-bish.

Captain

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0