Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BCTF Strike 2012

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bananaman,

Hopefully my last post on this, because I actually have WORK to do here, but:

We work hard to support your kids

Bullshit. You're all but stated you work for the dollar, and that is your primary concern. Obviously, since you are now counting in volunteer hours. You should actually be ashamed of yourself for that, because that is what it is. You have stated you'll pull your volunteer services, essentially using kids as pawns, due to the dispute you have at the workplace with your employer.

You have also stated you will not provide feedback to parents during this strike. How about this, do your effing job, provide feedback to parents, and hey, maybe have a goddamn spine and follow through with your volunteer commitments.

Supporting my kids? Seriously, if I were independently wealthy, my kids would not be in the public school system as it is today, especially not w/ support like the type you profess to give. Have the teachers as a whole lost my respect? Absolutely. An unfair broad brush stroke, but there you go.

bananaman

Sep 6, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
You still don't get it...you don't work that much. Even with the little bit extra coaching, and taking kids for ski days, blah, blah, blah, you don't work that much.

Honestly, if I had my way, damn right..I'm evaluating my staff on the overall positive impact they have at my school for the VERY GOOD compensation package they receive. If you are a very good teacher and can't volunteer much, I am probably OK w/ that. If you are a so-so teacher, but a great coach / volunteer and motivator, maybe I can be OK w/ that, too. If you are a shitty teacher who volunteers all the time, sorry, I'll ax you. Tell me this...what ability does an administer have in firing you right now? What exactly would have to happen for you to be fired?

And, hell YES I want the power to be able to fire your ass if you are not good for the school. First and foremost, I want good teachers. Teachers that will teach, and have a positive impact on a kid's life. If you can do that, you win in my books. If you vounteer your time outside of regular hours, and you are again having a positive impact, great...added job security for you.

What is so tough about that? I don't understand? It's not like you work a lot now, anyhow...so stop your moaning, and stop trying to convince me that you are overtaxed in your job, because you aren't.

You just backed up what I previously said. If a teacher is not voluteering and is a shitty teacher then yes they should be fired or at least moved somewhere else with the expectation that they improve. I am not sure what you think I am saying? You seem only to focus on the amount of hours a teacher works and because we don't work enough according to you we need to shut up and quit bitching. But maybe you should go step into a classroom for a day in a few classrooms and see how "under-taxed" teachers really are. You forget we are there for the best interests of YOUR kids and we want to provide the best possible education and experience we can for our students.

bananaman

Sep 6, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bananaman,

Hopefully my last post on this, because I actually have WORK to do here, but:

Bullshit. You're all but stated you work for the dollar, and that is your primary concern. Obviously, since you are now counting in volunteer hours. You should actually be ashamed of yourself for that, because that is what it is. You have stated you'll pull your volunteer services, essentially using kids as pawns, due to the dispute you have at the workplace with your employer.

You have also stated you will not provide feedback to parents during this strike. How about this, do your effing job, provide feedback to parents, and hey, maybe have a goddamn spine and follow through with your volunteer commitments.

Supporting my kids? Seriously, if I were independently wealthy, my kids would not be in the public school system as it is today, especially not w/ support like the type you profess to give. Have the teachers as a whole lost my respect? Absolutely. An unfair broad brush stroke, but there you go.

WOW. As for your comments about things we "don't do" and painting us all with the same brush.. that's the problem with people like you. I give my time every week to my students in sports (basketball/volleyball coaching, before/after school clubs, homework clubs and most definitely in providing feedback with parents on a constant basis. I have provided progress reports every term, email/phone calls on a daily basis so my students/parents are not out of the loop. We, as teachers, have not given out official report card but I have kept in contact with parents every step of the way. By saying all teachers are the same and all teachers are terrible, money grabbers, there'ss no surprise to your comments. I give everything I have for my students and to be told by you that teachers (all of us) don't do enough and don't work hard shows your ignorance!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You just backed up what I previously said. If a teacher is not voluteering and is a shitty teacher then yes they should be fired or at least moved somewhere else with the expectation that they improve. I am not sure what you think I am saying? You seem only to focus on the amount of hours a teacher works and because we don't work enough according to you we need to shut up and quit bitching. But maybe you should go step into a classroom for a day in a few classrooms and see how "under-taxed" teachers really are. You forget we are there for the best interests of YOUR kids and we want to provide the best possible education and experience we can for our students.

If you were there for their best interest, you'd send home a hand weritten report card this year, and you wouldn't have pulled your volunteer services. You wouldn't have supported your union on these disgusting union tactics.

Sorry, I call complete bullshit on you, I think you are just in in for the job perks and maybe because you actually like it. But stop effing lying to me and telling me you are in it for the best interest of my kids, because it is a bold face lie.

bananaman

Sep 6, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
If you were there for their best interest, you'd send home a hand weritten report card this year, and you wouldn't have pulled your volunteer services. You wouldn't have supported your union on these disgusting union tactics.

Sorry, I call complete bullshit on you, I think you are just in in for the job perks and maybe because you actually like it. But stop effing lying to me and telling me you are in it for the best interest of my kids, because it is a bold face lie.

Thanks for letting me know my reasons for teaching. You're right... money, money, money! If you only know how well your kids are doing in school because you read a piece of paper 3 times a year. WOW!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks for letting me know my reasons for teaching. You're right... money, money, money! If you only know how well your kids are doing in school because you read a piece of paper 3 times a year. WOW!

Well...yes; your union has made it abundantly clear that is your modus operandi. You forget, you don't speak for yourself, you let your union do that for you. It is what happens when you chose to be another sheep in the flock.

You think I actually need a teacher to know how my kids are doing? Your value isn't that high, so you can stop patting yourself on the back. We know exactly where they are struggling, and where they are excelling. Why? Because I'm a better parent than you are a teacher, and that applies to any one of my kids teachers, no matter how good that teacher is. Don’t start thinking your shite doesn’t stink, it really does. What we don't have is teacher feedback. Do we need it? Not really. Do I want it? Damn right, because you know, I think I should expect them to DO THEIR EFFING JOB.

Don't think you are that big a deal in our society. You aren't. You are replaceable.

Do your job.

bananaman

Sep 6, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well...yes; your union has made it abundantly clear that is your modus operandi. You forget, you don't speak for yourself, you let your union do that for you. It is what happens when you chose to be another sheep in the flock.

You think I actually need a teacher to know how my kids are doing? Your value isn't that high, so you can stop patting yourself on the back. We know exactly where they are struggling, and where they are excelling. Why? Because I'm a better parent than you are a teacher, and that applies to any one of my kids teachers, no matter how good that teacher is. Don’t start thinking your shite doesn’t stink, it really does. What we don't have is teacher feedback. Do we need it? Not really. Do I want it? Damn right, because you know, I think I should expect them to DO THEIR EFFING JOB.

Don't think you are that big a deal in our society. You aren't. You are replaceable.

Do your job.

Thanks for the support oh mighty one! I am doing my job perfectly well (parent comminucation included) and I don't need a ramped up know it all on TTP telling me any different. If you don't need report cards then why do we do them? They take a lot of time and if you already know how well your kid is doing then you have no problems in not getting that little piece of paper that means nothing to you. If that's the be all and end all of what a teacher does then no, you don't have a clue!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks for the support oh mighty one! I am doing my job perfectly well (parent comminucation included) and I don't need a ramped up know it all on TTP telling me any different. If you don't need report cards then why do we do them? They take a lot of time and if you already know how well your kid is doing then you have no problems in not getting that little piece of paper that means nothing to you. If that's the be all and end all of what a teacher does then no, you don't have a clue!

I know you do more. I'm not naive. There is dodgeball, too.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I enjoy my job. I figured one year with work(teaching grade 7)....marking/planning/coaching/organizing field trips, I was making about $10 per hour. This is no exaggeration by the way. HOWEVER, when I went into teaching I KNEW I wasn't going to get rich and have always been satisfied with what I have been paid. If I feel burnt out or need to change my priorites(I coached basketball for 7 years in between coaching the senior boys and girls soccer) for my daughters for example.....I will. I haven't coached basketball the last 3 years and have 'just' coached the soccer programs. I love it and today was our first exhibition game of the year. I LOVE coaching our senior girls team. These kids love playing for their school. Where am I going with this? I didn't get into teaching to get rich......or for the summer holidays.......or for the benefits. I got into teaching because I knew I wanted to be a teacher and give back what the great teachers I had over the years did for me. :thumbup:

Hail Hail

tsedds

Nov 2, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey Captain... haven't been following the HS game since I moved onto NSGSC... how have you been doing the last few years? I know the Handsworth senior girls team was stacked a couple years ago but I thought you were one of the top squads as well???

BTW, shame to see some teams are probably going to fold across the province due to teacher action - is it going to spread to lower mainland as well?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
bananaman you are well and truly out of your depth. I know dude is wound up and is spouting fury, but he's also ON the windup making you look more and more foolish, entitled, and spoiled than you even know.

he's making a point (I think)... You teachers (on an individual basis) all make salient points and seem to have the best interests of kids at heart when spoken to on a one on one basis...but as the old adage goes "A person is smart, People are stupid"... the union does your dirty work for you. You sane people generally all get whipped up into a froth, get lobbied for political eletioneering and voting, etc etc etc. They either represent you or they don't, it's either one or the other. No Half-Pregnancies here. You're either with or against your union and how they are representing you the dues paying member (which you have no choice over if you want to teach in public schools) and how they're representing you and your image to the joe-sixpack public.

You can't say out of one side of your mouth that "it's all about the kids" then strike on the only 3 days you're legally allowed to, on short notice and essentially only punish the kids and parents as the govt was pretty much expecting it, now removing extra curricular stuff, again hammering kids (Could you imagine being a coach/teacher or player on some of those Basketball teams going to Provincials at the Langley Events Centre!!??) and then turn around out of the other side of your mouth and say that you work long hard hours, you're not paid enough blah blah blah- You know your last whack of posts were all defensive in nature and you were defending how "much you work" for how little compensation/respect. Where do "the kids" figure in on that?

I can tell your a relatively young guy, your immaturity and sense of entitlement is showing unlike Captain Shamrock. It's simply a generational thing. I have never seen so many out of their depth and out of touch entitled, left wing, group thinkers than in my own generation and younger, the generation of offspring from the last round of baby boomers. They want endless student loans free everything for everyone with their hipster jeans and iphones too, but "fcuk the man," taxes and the "1%" They'll occupy whatever and scream and kick and shout and "They're not going to take it anymore!"

Yes you went to University, Yes you are educated. Yes you work in a monopolistic closed shop union environment. You know what? You want better working conditions? You want no drooling invalids or hyper-hypos in your classes? you want to make good cash? You were only a few years short at Uni of getting your Phd and applying to teach at "A Place of Higher Learning"

Have you any sense of what it's truly like to work in the public sector? pay a mortgage and feed 3 mouths off of 1 salary? I don't know if you do- But I can say your union, and specifically yours, rhetoric stinks to this guy who does support a fam of 4 on a single income in the competitive and dog eat dog private sector where i can be fired for things less than student-rape/abuse, unlike teachers.

studsup

Sep 14, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You can't say out of one side of your mouth that "it's all about the kids" then strike on the only 3 days you're legally allowed to, on short notice and essentially only punish the kids and parents as the govt was pretty much expecting it, now removing extra curricular stuff, again hammering kids.

Once again another ignorant member of the public. Please inform and educate yourself on the issue. We lost three days wages to fight for your kids to have better learning conditions. It's not just about a payhike, but one would be fair as previous generations of teachers gave up raises in lieu of smaller class sizes which were then stripped by the liberal gov't. Elementary and secondary educations are the foundation for the future doctors/dentists and other highly skilled, trained professionals. Everyone loves to make a whipping boy out of teachers but nobody says shite about firefighers getting raises. If your jealous about the jobs perks, go back to school and step in to the trenches. You'll see how much of a gravy job it is.....

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
If the teachers in this province are as out of touch with reality as the majority of those posting on this board are, then our province can't fire the whole lot of these self-entitled fcuk's fast enough... Comparing a 50 hour week teaching to a 40 hour week in the private sector... 40 hours... ask me the last time I wasnt on call... the answer is never, and the same goes for doctors, and many other professions as well, I'm betting...

Enjoy your two week break from your arduous job... here's hoping the government has some snazzy back to work legislation ready to kick you in the balls when you return...

SofaKingGood

Sep 9, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I never went into this profession to be rich, I knew if I finished my career as a teacher that I would be middle-class forever with a 30 year mortgage. I am comfortable with that. I love teaching and coaching, plain and simple. For a passionate teacher, which most are, there is a rush that you get when you teach a kid something new- it's a priceless moment to see.
This Bill 22, is unconstitutional plain and simple. The Supreme Court of Canada ruled in the teachers favor a few months back that the crap that the govt pulled in 2002 was unconstitutional. Bill 22 is no different and is parallel to 2002- it does not guarantee class sizes and composition or job security (touchy subject).
It took us 10-11 years to win in Supreme Court, which was a waste of union dues for teachers and taxpayers money all because the govt (Christy Clark) had a bone to pick. Her excuse in 2005 was to "take a break from politics to spend time with her family." I wonder what her excuse in may 2013 will be?
Anyways, and this is just a comment towards people sitting on the fence or who are anti-teachers: why are you not concerned about Bill 22 and the negative effects it will have on our overall system? Not to mention more taxpayer money spent on court costs as the same things they are putting in this bill were ruled to be unconstitutional.
Lastly, I only want the best of the best in all professions. But, I don't want to see a newer and younger teacher replace a more experienced one because the newer one does more coaching or is liked more. Thats what the Bill is open to. That is what we mean by job security- its not our God given right to have this job forever, but there is a fair process to be terminated.

bananaman

Sep 6, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
If the teachers in this province are as out of touch with reality as the majority of those posting on this board are, then our province can't fire the whole lot of these self-entitled fcuk's fast enough... Comparing a 50 hour week teaching to a 40 hour week in the private sector... 40 hours... ask me the last time I wasnt on call... the answer is never, and the same goes for doctors, and many other professions as well, I'm betting...Enjoy your two week break from your arduous job... here's hoping the government has some snazzy back to work legislation ready to kick you in the balls when you return...
I know you haven't been in the classroom since grade 6 but don't hate on teachers. Obviously they choose when the government tells them to have their breaks! Much love to all the supporters of teachers on ttp

bananaman

Sep 6, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
I know you do more. I'm not naive. There is dodgeball, too.
Dodgeball is usually only a short unit. We should do more dodgeball. If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball! Pity the tech ed department are tight with the wrench supply!

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0