Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BCTF Strike 2012

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
I personally coach 2 school teams, intra-murals, Math Club, school tech team, Terry Fox Run Committee, School Run Committee (we do a 5km annual mini-marathon raising $ for Children's hospital), Science Fair committee, go to camp (2 nights/3 days), and I have a Walk to School Club where we meet every Fri morning and walk to school from a certain meeting point, and I was in the midst of setting up a cricket and ultimate team.
Regarding not doing any extra curricular anymore, this is the 1st time that I am in favor of not doing anything extra anymore. I love the stuff that I do and love sports in general, but I believe the reason why a lot of teachers are pulling out is because what we feel is the lack of respect shown from the govt.
This is a complex issue with obviously 2 sides to the story. But for me personally, this is the 1st time that I have got involved because in my view the govt is trying to destroy public education and the overall teaching profession.

Wow - that is a lot on top of teaching. I don't have kids, but this volume of extra work really begs for leadership within the student group and parents. These kind of organizational skills will take them far in life. And, if they flop, a learning is in that too.

Fair enough, coaching is coaching. But all that other stuff, I would provide some high level guidance and let the kids develop some skills.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I call Bollocks.

Why do you volunteer all this extra stuff? You do it (likely) because of some or all of the following reasons:
1) You love the activites you assist/lead
2) You like the kids and enjoy giving your time and leadership to them
3) It makes you feel good and you get other rewards other than money for this work
4) you might meet a good looking single mom.

Just because you are arguing and playing chicken with the govt, or at least your union is (and vice versa) and are fighting over how/what/why/when you are being compensated for what you're PAID TO DO doesn't mean you should pull out of what you're not GETTING PAID TO DO.

All you're doing is hurting kids/parents. The gov't doesn't give a flying fcuk about the BCHS Volleyball/Soccer/Basketball/Golf champion of BCHSS. That's why it's called extra-curriculur activities.

although taking this stuff away could potentially hurt BC kids looking to go south on scholarship at NCAA univerisites, it could hurt the resume for kids applying for clubs and other programs where Chess Club or Nature Club or Polticis Club could look good on an association application or scholarship form.

It's Bullying. If you feel like you're being bullied by the gov't why should you bully the kids to get back at the govt? Don't they teach you in Kindergarten that "2 wrongs don't make 1 right" ????

FFS. :mad:

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I personally coach 2 school teams, intra-murals, Math Club, school tech team, Terry Fox Run Committee, School Run Committee (we do a 5km annual mini-marathon raising $ for Children's hospital), Science Fair committee, go to camp (2 nights/3 days), and I have a Walk to School Club where we meet every Fri morning and walk to school from a certain meeting point, and I was in the midst of setting up a cricket and ultimate team.
Regarding not doing any extra curricular anymore, this is the 1st time that I am in favor of not doing anything extra anymore. I love the stuff that I do and love sports in general, but I believe the reason why a lot of teachers are pulling out is because what we feel is the lack of respect shown from the govt.
This is a complex issue with obviously 2 sides to the story. But for me personally, this is the 1st time that I have got involved because in my view the govt is trying to destroy public education and the overall teaching profession.

I bet there is a kid straight out of PDP that's willing to do this, and more.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
GREAT STUFF!
Rodney Dangerfield act a tough sell for teachers

Here's the meat of it for those of you too lazy (sid) or busy (dude) to click and read the whole thing.
How does teaching compare to other jobs in B.C.?
Teachers' salaries vary slightly around the province. The average starting salary for a teacher is $48,410, and the average maximum is $76,585, according to the B.C. Public School Employers' Association.
The latest 12-month average for all workers in B.C. is the equivalent of about $43,600. But that's for a 52-week year.
Teachers earn their pay over a 189-day school year. Add the nine statutory holidays that we all get, and that becomes a 40-week year. Most workers also get holidays, however. The legal minimum is the equivalent of two weeks. Teachers get 12.
Teachers also get a respectable benefits package that includes health and welfare benefits and a pension plan that allows them to retire, on average, at age 58 with an average pension payout of about $28,500 a year. In 2010 that was, on average, 50-per-cent more than any other group of public sector workers in B.C. achieved, not counting elected MLAs.
Teachers also volunteer their own time. Some put in hundreds of hours with sports teams, bands, choral groups and other enriching activities.
Even so, it's fair to say that teachers earn more than the average British Columbia worker and work a shorter year.

Read more: Rodney Dangerfield act a tough sell for teachers

bananaman

Sep 6, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
I bet there is a kid straight out of PDP that's willing to do this, and more.

That's not the point! I came out of pdp two years ago and I coach two teams a year plus set up my own clubs throughout. I never close my door at break and lunch, essentially forfeiting my time to help kids, run clubs, coach etc! The point being made is that this is not a requirement and we don't get paid for it. If we don't do it we shouldn't be punished by having a new teacher take our job. I will always coach etc because I love it but as stated above teachers devotes hours and hours of their personal time and are not paid or respected for it. Sure there are teachers who do nothing extra but they are the minority of the minority at my school. If your boss told you you don't have to volunteer your time outside of the hours you are paid which you won't get paid for (usually 5-10 hrs a week at least during sports seasons) BUT if you don't they will probably find someone else and you will get fired or replaced. That's fair? There are expectations that we do more than our job description states but add to that we have lesson prep/design, marking, etc. You are not going to persuade many teachers that we don't work hard enough and should feel guilty for wanting a little recognition for our extra efforts! Anyway, we are on spring break now so time to get paid to lay on my couch - see you in two weeks!

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's not the point! I came out of pdp two years ago and I coach two teams a year plus set up my own clubs throughout. I never close my door at break and lunch, essentially forfeiting my time to help kids, run clubs, coach etc! The point being made is that this is not a requirement and we don't get paid for it. If we don't do it we shouldn't be punished by having a new teacher take our job. I will always coach etc because I love it but as stated above teachers devotes hours and hours of their personal time and are not paid or respected for it. Sure there are teachers who do nothing extra but they are the minority of the minority at my school. If your boss told you you don't have to volunteer your time outside of the hours you are paid which you won't get paid for (usually 5-10 hrs a week at least during sports seasons) BUT if you don't they will probably find someone else and you will get fired or replaced. That's fair? There are expectations that we do more than our job description states but add to that we have lesson prep/design, marking, etc. You are not going to persuade many teachers that we don't work hard enough and should feel guilty for wanting a little recognition for our extra efforts! Anyway, we are on spring break now so time to get paid to lay on my couch - see you in two weeks!

Honestly, I don't even know where to begin. Actually I do, but it will probably fall on deaf ears again. Even with your countless hours upon hours of "volunteer" work, you still come in WAY under the average amount of time spent at the workplace for the amount of money you get paid. That is irrefutable.

Why don't you all just come out and admit you are looking for that magical "job security" that people in the real world (private sector) laugh at you for. "I don't care if I'm old and overpaid and can be replaced by a younger, faster, cheaper, BETTER version of me. I am OWED this job"

bananaman

Sep 6, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
For the amount of time we put in a week (45-55) starting teachers (like me) make approx $20-25/hr. That's such a great rate of pay for university graduates working in an "essential" service! if our job is so easy and we get fantastic pay for doing nothing then sign yourself up for the easy life of a teacher and show us how to do it properly! I know how much I work and how many hours I put in outside the paid, scheduled classroom hours. But remember, next time you ask for support to do your job properly and a pay raise to stay consistent with inflation... you don't deserve either!

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
if our job is so easy and we get fantastic pay for doing nothing then sign yourself up for the easy life of a teacher and show us how to do it properly!

If your job is so arduous and unfulfilling, quit. I know I would. Luckily, I have been able to forge a nice business for myself while remaining profitable. I do this by adapting to circumstances around me. If you don't understand what that means, (and I'm going out on a limb and saying you don't) it means that I stay competitive and profitable, or I don't eat. Simple. When you stop sounding like characters out of Oliver Twist, perhaps I'll take you more seriously. Again, deaf ears.

:bronco:

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
bananaman, you work a 40 week year, the rest of us work a 50 week year. 45-55 hours is 112% to 137% compared to 40 hours a day. 40 weeks to 50 weeks is 80%.

you're obviously not a math teacher.

further to that: How Many teachers ACTUALLY put in the *extra* hours...not many, in fact I'd go so far as so say that the 80/20 rules probably would be generous here.

Nobody is complaining about the teachers wages or classroom conditions demands as much as people are sick and fcuking tired of the sense of entitlement that seems to have inflicted teachers, or more accurately: Their Union.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
For the amount of time we put in a week (45-55) starting teachers (like me) make approx $20-25/hr. That's such a great rate of pay for university graduates working in an "essential" service! if our job is so easy and we get fantastic pay for doing nothing then sign yourself up for the easy life of a teacher and show us how to do it properly! I know how much I work and how many hours I put in outside the paid, scheduled classroom hours. But remember, next time you ask for support to do your job properly and a pay raise to stay consistent with inflation... you don't deserve either!

So, you're now suggesting all the hours us everyday folks put into coaching sports, participating in charities, managing teams, dance fundraisers, etc., is stuff we should be paid for too?

Wow...I have been missing out. I forgot that I need to add on my 10-20 hours a week of volunteer time into my "work hours" calculation. Makes between 70-80 now. You're right, your gig does look pretty tempting. It would be a big break in my actual schedule. And a lot less risk. And a massive pension. I feel like an idiot now.

:rolleyes:

Show me where cost of living has had a net increase of 15% since your last contract.

Give. Me. A. Break.

bananaman

Sep 6, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hours of work differ for everyone. this isn't teachers work little and everyone else works more! Regardless of hours, pay, good, bad... if your boss said to you that you had to volunteer time and not get paid you will be fired - that's bullshit whatever job you are in. This isn't just for teachers but everyone. Some teachers don't, most do. We get no thanks for it as it is expected- without pay. If you are a terrible teacher and don't volunteer then maybe you should move on. This isn't about simply keeping our job because we deserve it. What happens to the teachers that just had a kid and don't have time to volunteer and want to spend time with their family? They should be let go for a younger, single teacher who has more free time? I am a new teacher who spends as much of my time going above and beyond expectations because I want a full time, continuing contract but when I want to have a family and cannot volunteer as much of my time, I shouldn't be penalized for that!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You've truly lost the plot.

Understand this...even with your "volunteer" hours, YOU DON'T WORK THAT MUCH! I understand it is difficult for you to understand what happens outside of your Utopia, but please try and GET IT.

bananaman

Sep 6, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
So, you're now suggesting all the hours us everyday folks put into coaching sports, participating in charities, managing teams, dance fundraisers, etc., is stuff we should be paid for too?

Wow...I have been missing out. I forgot that I need to add on my 10-20 hours a week of volunteer time into my "work hours" calculation. Makes between 70-80 now. You're right, your gig does look pretty tempting. It would be a big break in my actual schedule. And a lot less risk. And a massive pension. I feel like an idiot now.

:rolleyes:

Show me where cost of living has had a net increase of 15% since your last contract.

Give. Me. A. Break.

What you on your own time outside of your job has no relevance to this. You won't get fired from your job if you don't go coach kids soccer on the weekend or help out with charitable causes. The new bill says that we can be fired if we don't volulnteer our time and someone else is willing to. Maybe you should go grab your pitch-fork and go teacher hunting while we are all being lazy on our two week holiday.

I love my job and I don't complain about the hours/pay. I am happy with both. If we don't get a raise but get the extra support we need to improve the learning environment for your kids, I would imagine most teachers will be happy! What I do complain about is when people say we don't work hard, we don't deserve support to help us do our job better, and the government is using "unconstitutional" ways to hinder the progress of our education system. Which after all, is what teachers are fighting for. We work hard to support your kids and we don't want to turn into the American "No child left behind" program which will ruin education from top to bottom.

bananaman

Sep 6, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
You've truly lost the plot.

Understand this...even with your "volunteer" hours, YOU DON'T WORK THAT MUCH! I understand it is difficult for you to understand what happens outside of your Utopia, but please try and GET IT.

Teachers - 50 hrs/week = 2000 hours per year in a 40 week school year
Everyone else - 40hrs/week = 2000 hours per year in a 50 week work year

YEAH I GET IT - Big difference there isn't there?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What you on your own time outside of your job has no relevance to this. You won't get fired from your job if you don't go coach kids soccer on the weekend or help out with charitable causes. The new bill says that we can be fired if we don't volulnteer our time and someone else is willing to. Maybe you should go grab your pitch-fork and go teacher hunting while we are all being lazy on our two week holiday.

I love my job and I don't complain about the hours/pay. I am happy with both. If we don't get a raise but get the extra support we need to improve the learning environment for your kids, I would imagine most teachers will be happy! What I do complain about is when people say we don't work hard, we don't deserve support to help us do our job better, and the government is using "unconstitutional" ways to hinder the progress of our education system. Which after all, is what teachers are fighting for. We work hard to support your kids and we don't want to turn into the American "No child left behind" program which will ruin education from top to bottom.

You still don't get it...you don't work that much. Even with the little bit extra coaching, and taking kids for ski days, blah, blah, blah, you don't work that much.

Honestly, if I had my way, damn right..I'm evaluating my staff on the overall positive impact they have at my school for the VERY GOOD compensation package they receive. If you are a very good teacher and can't volunteer much, I am probably OK w/ that. If you are a so-so teacher, but a great coach / volunteer and motivator, maybe I can be OK w/ that, too. If you are a shitty teacher who volunteers all the time, sorry, I'll ax you. Tell me this...what ability does an administer have in firing you right now? What exactly would have to happen for you to be fired?

And, hell YES I want the power to be able to fire your ass if you are not good for the school. First and foremost, I want good teachers. Teachers that will teach, and have a positive impact on a kid's life. If you can do that, you win in my books. If you vounteer your time outside of regular hours, and you are again having a positive impact, great...added job security for you.

What is so tough about that? I don't understand? It's not like you work a lot now, anyhow...so stop your moaning, and stop trying to convince me that you are overtaxed in your job, because you aren't.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Teachers - 50 hrs/week = 2000 hours per year in a 40 week school year
Everyone else - 40hrs/week = 2000 hours per year in a 50 week work year

YEAH I GET IT - Big difference there isn't there?

So funny...how exactly do you figure that? Today I was in at 6:30, and I'll leave here at 5:30. Average day. Not counting my volunteer hours. In what world do you actually think most everyone else works only 40 hours a week? Are you that out of touch w/ reality?

Again, the sense of entitlement is VERY strong in this thread.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0