Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2017 BC Mens Provincial A Cup - Draw, Predictions, Results & Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Or flight change to land at YXX instead of YVR

Nothing from my ASS on this one.

It would appear Aldy has pulled out all the stops to have Mini Utah playing this weekend...and why not? They are in tough, no matter what, but happy to see it has worked out.

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
My ASS reported a fairly even 1st half, then Inter started to show their experience- and perhaps Pomo showing their youth- in the 2nd as Inter bossed their way to the 1-0 win. Apparently well earned, reports my ASS, but my ASS also feels good about the Pomo youngins going forward. My ASS has a good feel for these things.
Inter has a couple big physical strikers who used their size and strength to advantage. A different ref might have red carded Inter's #13 for consistent fouls. Inter's left back (Donald) hit the cross bar with a rocket shot and Milad hit a goal post.
The game was energetic but Inter's players, both on and off the field, whined at the ref too much. They need to learn to be more classy.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I also heard there was plenty of moaning on the ear bleeding scale. Also heard Pomo had an off match, but as you suggested, bullied. Experience and physical play will more times than not win over youth. When you add a skill factor to win a game for you, well...

blade

Sep 16, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Inter has a couple big physical strikers who used their size and strength to advantage. A different ref might have red carded Inter's #13 for consistent fouls. Inter's left back (Donald) hit the cross bar with a rocket shot and Milad hit a goal post.
The game was energetic but Inter's players, both on and off the field, whined at the ref too much. They need to learn to be more classy.

Who was the ref?

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Completely Baseless Predictions
Men’s “A” Provincial Cup
Quarter-Finals: 2/4
Overall: 7/12

Semi-Finals:

Aldergove (FVSL) v Westside (VMSL)
This is the Match of the Round and possibly one of the biggest, if not the biggest, match in the FVSL’s history. Fraser Valley Champions Aldergrove have a chance to progress to the Provincial Cup final, which is a big deal given that the last time the league was this close North Delta lost on penalties to Inter and then bolted for the VMSL themselves. However, this season, this Semi Final carries more weight because a win qualifies the team for Nationals, a tournament that the FVSL is hosting in October. BC is getting two births, so a finals appearance would be enough to make Algergrove the FVSL’s first ever entrant at a National Championship. Standing in their way is not VMSL Champions and Provincial favourites Coquitlam Metro Ford, but rather recently promoted Westside FC who finished seventh in the VMSL and had to win a playoff just to get into the competition. It seemed everything had to go the Vancouver boys’ way to get past Coquitlam last round, but Aldergrove won’t be bothered one bit by the Westsiders good fortune. They will be no doubt confident of their ability to knock off these mid-table Cinderellas especially as it seems that they have reached an agreement to keep talisman Connor Hildebrandt in town and away from PDL duties this weekend. These two teams play completely different styles and Westside will hope that their controlled build up will net them results against Aldergrove’s direct play. Maybe the pressure gets to the FVSL boys, it’s surely all on them. They just simply cannot lose as a Champion to a team from the middle of the table of a league that has, for so long, had its foot on the neck of the FVSL. This is what they have been building to and they cannot let the significance of the occasion get to them. This is the changing of the guard, the passing of the torch, this the FVSL’s time. Aldergrove cannot bottle it, can they?

Langley Utd. (FVSL) v Inter (VMSL)
Lost in all of the Aldergrove hype has been a helluva performance in the tournament by Langley Utd. It’s Langley who are hosting the Nationals for the FVSL in the Fall and damned if the hometown team isn’t a win away from being in the competition. These guys have ground out a pair of tough 1-0 wins away on the Island against the VISL Champions and against a heavily favoured VMSL juggernaut in Rovers Tigers last week. Perhaps it has been the unflashy nature of these victories that have kept Langley out of the spot light, but there is no hiding now. Inter too have been less than spectacular in their own pair of 1-0 victories. They saw off the defending Provincial Champions, Pegasus, and then just slipped past another FVSL team in Port Moody in a match that had to be rearranged due to lighting issues. Port Moody felt like it was a chance wasted as Inter were perhaps at less than their best, possibly taking the Tri Cities boys lightly. Inter live for big games though and they are now one win away from a chance at redemption after losing the Provincial Final two seasons ago. The Italians always seem to do just enough, so don’t bet against yet another 1-0 score line. Langley will be boisterous and expect a charged up atmosphere at Willoughby, surely, but Inter is famous for this and I’ll take their pedigree to see them into the final.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
"This is what they have been building to and they cannot let the significance of the occasion get to them. This is the changing of the guard, the passing of the torch, this the FVSL’s time. Aldergrove cannot bottle it, can they?" Answer: absolutely. With @utah coaching, the chances of him bottling it are sky high.

Smilie emoji.

You are right, the pressure here IS all on Aldy. It's a big moment, and yes, nerves can play a part in this. They are a relatively young team, but have some key vets in key positions, as well as on the bench. The wonderkid has ice water running through his veins and seems to get up for big moments. But...the curse...the dragon...whatever you want to call it (big Giant VMSL w/ the foot on the throat of the FVSL)....that is significant. I am trying to get out of a dinner to come watch.

Langley vs. Inter...I will be on hand to watch this one, hoping to bump into more Alum along the fence-line. I actually rate Langley with as equal, if not a better chance of pulling out the W. As veteran as Inter is, Langley also has some guys that have been doing it for a long time, in a winning environment. In this case, the pressure is all on Inter.

Looking forward to a great couple of matches, and @Canucks4Ever, another great write-up!

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bit dramatic innit?

Both Aldergrove and Langley don't feel the metaphoric pressure of a league on their shoulders and it has no bearing on the game. They will likely feel the nerves, but its because its the provincial cup semi finals, not because no one representing the league they play in has won a Provincial cup before. To think otherwise is silly.

SoccerStud

Feb 28, 2017
Tokens
Dirty Money
My predictions for the weekend.

Aldergove (FVSL) v Westside (VMSL)

Langley Utd. (FVSL) v Inter (VMSL) - upset of the round

Good luck to all teams!!

blade

Sep 16, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Inter 2 Langley 1 final

Langley scored a beauty later in the second half with a beautiful cross off the left side just before the ball crossed the goal line , finished with a very nice header to make things interesting.

Unfortunately, the 1-0 goal for Inter with seconds remaining in the first half really hurt Langley heading into the second.

Inter seemed a bit more dangerous going at goal throughout the night imho .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0