Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2017 BC Mens Provincial A Cup - Draw, Predictions, Results & Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Grove Strong welcome to the boards.

Just a couple of quick notes: the "farmers" thing is a sort of an inside joke that goes back to what you might describe as an exuberant TTP member with a reputation for bold, mostly baseless, claims that had a tendency to really stir the pot. Some circumstances have led to him being rather invisible lately, but if you flip back to some of the boards from early in the year you should have no trouble identifying him... I don't think anyone is actually trying to take shots at farmers, or at least I'm not anyway.

As for Inter, I don't think anyone is trying to defend their actions. Certainly nobody is trying to suggest Milad is going to win any sportsmanship awards any time soon. It's absolutely how Inter play, whether it's a conscious "tactic" or just a culture that has bred itself based on some of the players they've brought on or a bit of both, I don't know. Again if you look back through the boards from this season you'll find a discussion about how the other Milad deliberately kicked a ball at a spectator in the dying stages of a loss to Westside. It's what makes it easy to paint them as a villain. All I know is put in a tackle like that against Inter and that'll kick off a brawl 100 out of 100 times...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ummm...I think the farmers thing goes way back further than said member. Way back. When even the FVSL guys are referring to Langley, Aldy, Abbotsford, and Chilliwack as farmers, the term is a lot more "inbred" (pun intended) than you think.

When I first started playing in men's at 18 or so, there is no way you could have told me I'd ever play for Langley. Price of real estate, and changing circumstances led to that. I have to say, as a result, playing for Langley was the most enjoyable time I've ever had, and probably formed my best relationships in the game there, too.

Every year it seems we get a little closer and closer to a balancing of the scales, but until that happens, the VMSL remains king of the jungle. Personally, I think at least an evening of quality is inevitable sooner than later. A full shift in Power? No, at least a generation away. The quality of the cradle to grave club offerings is just so good out here, great facilities, and oh yes, affordable real estate. It's nice having a home pitch down the road the quality that we have, and keeping travel reasonable. That being said, I'm quite sure Regs could pull up posts from 15 years ago when I said the same thing, and a then famous member offered something to the extend of "When Pigs Fly".

Was hoping to post a flying pig on Monday morning. That post will have to wait.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Aldergrove is already training to get themselves ready for next years run.

View attachment 19136

A couple of new players or maybe it's their girlfriends, hard to tell.
How about that schnitzel restaurant on 272 St and Fraser Hwy? Dude eats there sometimes. He likes the way he looks when he says 'schnitzel". His jawline protrudes and cheekbones rise giving him a more seemingly masculine look. I think he even has a selfie video of him ordering one. Post it Dude.

I go out of my to Hit up Tomo to this day but Haven't tried @Dude 's Schnitzel place yet (That doesnt sound good).

I dont think it was around when I lived on 272nd 10 or so years back.

When I lived their (Aldergrove) the first year was great. Then as Time went on I noticed a pattern and was being completely ignored by friends and family.

Aldergrove was like the middle child no one paid much attention to.

Langley was like the big Brother everyone thought was so fcuking cool.

Abbotsford was like the spoiled little sister that seemed to get all the attention. I packed up my shite and moved on.

All me and the Grove Strong have left is Tomo Sushi

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Pretty sure @HighLife is just trying to get around SoccerCoach's "ignored list"... LOL

Kid was put on a pedestal absolutely. Like I said before, boring doesn't sell newspapers, compelling storylines with heroes and villains do.

Inter as the Evil Empire against the FVSL shining hope is a better storyline than "eclectic collection of star individual players on loosely Italian affiliated Vancouver club play random nobodies from the Valley with some surprisingly good players..." Add some characters, add some colour, add a hook. Get the people talking, get the buzz growing. Interest. That's how I think we build this game. There were some great players in that final, the people deserve to know who they are, not to just turn up at the park and leave saying hey that number 15 for the white team was really good wonder who he is...

Hey, I really liked this post.

When I was listening to the starting 11 introductions, the Inter list was definitely impressive, some quality vets there that have been doing it a while, not to mention- in terms of their attacking quality- both Milans. It was a Who's Who of strong, well known players.

The Aldy chatter has been all about one player (two, if you count Brett), but from the matches I made out to watch, I was impressed with several of these unknown players, and yes, they do deserve a bit of press love.

Unfortunately, I can't even go into the FVSL site and pull up a squad list to actually write their names. Won't get into the frustrations I've had in trying to actually learn a bit more about these guys- or any from the league- but it makes it tough when the league doesn't seem to help itself in promoting these guys.

No Mills, I'm not talking strictly about TTP, I'm talking about all forms of media, including your own site. You are basically invisible out there, and people want to know more. The league has done a very, very good job on the administrative side of things, but a lot of those nice things are going unnoticed / unrecognized outside the inner circles. Again, the league has done an excellent job on the admin side, credit where due.

So, at risk of sounding amateurish, here were my thoughts, I hope maybe @Grove Strong or @OldMilwaukeeFC can fill in some blanks:

-Brett Weins, Striker: as a target man in a one striker formation, a very good piece to have. Big, strong, can hold up well, is an aerial threat, and surprisingly light feet for a big man. The goal he scored vs. Westside was as pretty as Milan's 2-0 goal vs. Aldy on the weekend. His energy is what makes him so hard to play against, and even vs. Inters strong back 4 he was able to get himself a couple of great opportunities, unfortunately just didn't hit the net.

-Steve Gaffney, CB: my take-away on Steve is that he's positional strong, and a simple, good all-round CB that does a great job organizing the back line. Nothing spectacular, but very tidy, and poised. Every successful squad needs a CB with these qualities.

-Nuno Jesus, Keeper: too bad he got knocked out of the match Sunday, but I've been told by many he was the best keeper in the FVSL this year. You even saw a bit of what makes him so good on Inters first goal, he made a reaction save on the first shot that simply showed his pure skill, and that he never gives up on a ball. I've been told a couple of stories on his background, something about being a Portuguese immigrant, working here as a baker, and some sort of high pedigree upbringing as a footballer there. In the other two Cup run matches, you could definitely see his quality.

-Ko? Mysterious Japanese left wing / striker. As legend goes, apparently someone on the squad found him juggling in the yard at school. Grade 12 exchange student, and excellent footballer. Vs. Bays scored a cracker of a left footer from the edge of the 18, vs. Westside showed some nice moves inside the box, very tricky and slippery, and scored the 2-1 goal in the 80th or so minute. Was a huge sub coming on in the 2nd half. Was noticeable in the final, I felt bringing him on, Aldy was able to generate a bit more, and he and Hildy have a nice bit of chemistry working together.

Others, names I don't know....

-Aldy right back, short kid with great pace.
-Other Aldy CB, seems to play in front of Gaffney as a link to MF. Active in linking into the attack, always tracking back in time, excellent fitness and timing.
-Would be nice to know who these guys are.

Even on the FVSL All-Star team, only 4 players selected from Aldy, including Keeper Nuno (though, pretty spread-out selection across the whole league, nice to see).

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I go out of my to Hit up Tomo to this day but Haven't tried @Dude 's Schnitzel place yet (That doesnt sound good).

I dont think it was around when I lived on 272nd 10 or so years back.

When I lived their (Aldergrove) the first year was great. Then as Time went on I noticed a pattern and was being completely ignored by friends and family.

Aldergrove was like the middle child no one paid much attention to.

Langley was like the big Brother everyone thought was so fcuking cool.

Abbotsford was like the spoiled little sister that seemed to get all the attention. I packed up my shite and moved on.

All me and the Grove Strong have left is Tomo Sushi

Gotta try the Schnitzel spot. It really is very good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0