Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2016 BC Mens Provincial A Cup - Draw, Predictions, Results & Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Are we not a recreational league???
Are you all facking serious???
Give your collective heads a shake.....

This was my point. These cups/leagues have nothing to do with our progress as a footballing nation unless they become Tier 3 semi-pro in a nationwide league along the lines of USL Pro.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't believe a nation wide league with money behind it will happen. We have what we have and need to make it work or make the best of it.
The money involved and travel is to vast for nation wide teir3.
Country needs to start having a heart beat for the sport and starts locally, at grass roots, fixing the local issues and mind frames.

It will maybe be an east coast and westcoast league that meet up for the finals once a year. Top players move to Vancouver and play semi pro soccer in a year round able environment.

These cups and leagues are the best we have. The best. The best players that actually stuck with soccer are on these teams, after they hit the dead end after uni soccer or lower divisions in Europe.

So why not make it the best possible?
Put it on a pedestal? Cause it's all we really got. Take it serious maybe? Have the rules mirror the game we want it to be?
(In saying that I'm not thinking the subs at provincial level is killing much)

We can keep saying we need this and that but we know it's not coming unless some big Corp money sees some value in it and funds it all. Is that happening? Will guys get paid decent money in Teir 3?
I don't see it happening anytime soon. Not out here.

So until then we have what we have. Nothing wrong with wanting to push for better. I believe "these cups/leagues" do have a hand in our footballing nation. Where does all these local kids play and start out? Who are they looking up to locally?

I know for me, I had an older cousin (family friend but easier to say cousin, you know how it is) that I would go watch games when I was a kid. Dad and I would watch some of his local games. I looked up to him. I thought he was a pretty cool guy. He played 86'ers and came out to a few of our youth sessions.
That made a difference I think in my life. Had a local guy I looked up to. Just one local 86er team did so much for our soccer culture and community. Everyone knew somebody on that team growing up.

Why not hold our best 5-10 teams on high regard. And have a goal for our local kids. Rather then a dead end.
Until the 2-3 pro teams come locally. Why not do our best with what we have? I know I want my sons having a goal of sorts. Having a connection, being part of a culture.

So if him looking up to the first team and wanting to be there pushes him in any sort of way at all, Keeps him off the street the odd Saturday night when he watches the local derby then go to a field party, (my times)
Then why not? Your telling me that doesn't effect our national team interest?
Maybe my kid sticks in soccer and pushes another kid for a spot, and that other kid makes the u21 national team.
It's all connected.
I know this is crazy talk for some. But we all want the best for the game and we have what we have. Let's make the best of it until the millions come in to make this league that actually sustains itself.

The 10 best clubs should have first teams after u18 and have an HPL style season. So these club kids graduating have a home and high end to play in. I would watch our best play each other on a Saturday in the greater Vancouver area. Paid or not. It's our best.
That HpL kid might not be an academic. He doesn't get the NCAA scholarship snd just wants to get his ticket and play locally.

Players push players. We already lose so many to hockey etc. So keeping one kid in could mean that much more competition etc. All connected.

You're right though, right now, the way it is, is this is "amateur/rec" soccer. Cause we treat it like that. No money in it.
We keep treating it like it until the money comes, nothing ever will change.

(Not that I think my team/club is pro, or what have you, or try to run it all pro. But I do want my kid to look up to the first team guys when he grows up and have a goal. Something. Paid or not. If he chooses soccer ;)

Utah, I feel yah. It's rec. but I guess it will always be rec if we look and treat it as rec/amateur.

We put the rules, expectations, guidelines to mirror a more serious game as Tremy tried to explain, then weather guys are getting paid or not, it's our best face forward as a community or geographical area. Paid or not, it will be our best playing. OUR being key.

We keep calling it amateur, having unlimited subs, playing mid winter in freezing temps not inline with the rest of the country, etc etc,
It's not showing a serious side or want as a community. It is amateur, you're right. But still our best. I'm almost losing myself here.

In conclusion, it will take all the leaders, coaches, club execs to push for better and put soccer on a pedestal locally. Not keep waving the "rec" flag but saying this is our best players from this area, come watch. And changing the mind set of the people who love the sport.

Money isn't coming guys. Nobody is getting paid anytime soon. We have no pathway for the guys. The clubs and top teams need to make the pathway. Yah it sucks, but it's what we have.

So much wrong with the local system and mindset for soccer in the country. From BC soccer down.

Imagine if clubs got a small fee for producing top talent. Something.. A share of the future money like it is elsewhere in the world. That alone would help tons.

But BC soccer controls it all, whitecaps literally have 100% power in BC. If your kids good, only way he is getting anywhere is through their system 99% of the time.

Why not some power to the clubs? And kids come through the ranks and go in to the clubs first team at 17 and whitecaps come calling then? And then caps have to buy that player?
Now caps have 10-20 clubs in the province trying to produce players for them and not just their own u13 teams and up that they are working with.

Just talking tons and this last bit hasn't been thought through. But seems like even if we wanted to make changes, the bigger picture with BC soccer not caring after youth, and caps controlling anything "serious", it's like what's the point in trying or caring.

Agh.
Glad I joined a hockey team this spring. :)

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
You know what IS good for soccer in our country? Discussions and forums to voice your opinion like this. There is a growing appetite for change for soccer in this country, for improvement. We all want better even if we disagree on how exactly it looks (or how many subs it has...).

The point is sure, most of what we ramble on about in here is hot air and idealistic dreams, but the fact is we are all part of a community striving to make this game and our experience and involvement in it at EVERY level better. Whether it's as a player, coach, spectator, administrator, mentor, etc., we want to see meaningful improvement in the game we love.

Dialogues like these are part of a community that is slowly bubbling to the surface and is starting to be heard saying "we know our system and our program can be better and we demand that it DOES be better!"

Like I said, we won't always agree on exactly how that looks, but at least there's more and more of us pulling in the same direction, because no one is going to get us where we want to go on their own. Like a trickle of small rocks that preceed an avalanche, hopefully this discussion, and others like it taking place elsewhere, can one day be seen as having played a small part in our future success.

tremy-1

Sep 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
What you say is true, what is needed is that dialogues like this reach the ears of the CBSA and CSA.
All we talk or try to improve will not get anywhere if the two institutions mentioned above do nothing about it.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Shouldn't the first step be that the leadership in the three men's leagues get together to at least establish commonalities?

-pointingouttheobvious.

tremy-1

Sep 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
The first step you suggest has been happening for more than 10 years, at least with the participation of adult leagues.
The problem I see is the lack of communication that exists between youth and adult associations.
To pressure BCSA to work on proposals made by its members, the union between youth and adult clubs and/or teams is indispensable.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Devil's advocate: let's say it has, then obviously not a lot has been accomplished, otherwise you'd at least have a consistent sub rule at the Premier level.

But hey, maybe the dialogue has been occurring, but "on the street" (us players), we obviously don't see evidence of this.

I'd beg to differ and say you at least need the adult league aligning first, then work top down.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Devil's advocate: let's say it has, then obviously not a lot has been accomplished, otherwise you'd at least have a consistent sub rule at the Premier level.

But hey, maybe the dialogue has been occurring, but "on the street" (us players), we obviously don't see evidence of this.

I'd beg to differ and say you at least need the adult league aligning first, then work top down.
Never going to happen as long a BC soccer continues to sanction adult leagues that directly compete against each other for players, teams and attention. If I were Trump, I would build a wall... and shave my head.

Top down indeed.

the sub rule is consistent at the Premier level. it mirrors the provincial cup competition rules.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Too good.

I guess you are talking about enforced geographical boundaries for clubs & teams then, Davey?

I have to admit that hasn't crossed my mind in ages, even since one red club made the move West. Know anything about that one?

:D

But, you are correct, it certainly doesn't make for a very cohesive situation when one league is poaching another, and vise versa.

Langley in the VMSL is as ridiculous as West Van in the FVSL.

But I digress...

I see a pig, but no wings.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Too good.

I guess you are talking about enforced geographical boundaries for clubs & teams then, Davey?

I have to admit that hasn't crossed my mind in ages, even since one red club made the move West. Know anything about that one?

:D

But, you are correct, it certainly doesn't make for a very cohesive situation when one league is poaching another, and vise versa.

Langley in the VMSL is as ridiculous as West Van in the FVSL.

But I digress...

I see a pig, but no wings.
there is that too, Mikey... there was also another attempt to join in by a group that shall not be named that got a full sanctioning 2 some years ago... where the hell did they think the teams and players would come from? they still don't have a pot to piss in, but yes still an active adult member... why are we starting new competing adult league? A question that wont get an answer if asked.

You wonder why everyone holds onto their toys so tightly and no one will play nice in the Sand box, it's is only so big. You have to do and offer things no one else is willing to to get the teams now...

But I digress...

speaking of pigs anyone see HoS?

Attachments

• HOS.jpg
    HOS.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens