Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2010 World Junior Championships

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Groupings:
Group A
CAN - Canada
LAT - Latvia
SVK - Slovakia
SUI - Switzerland
USA - United States

Group B
AUT - Austria
CZE - Czech Republic
FIN - Finland
RUS - Russia
SWE - Sweden

Here 's a couple videos to get you in the mood for this afternoon.

Go Canada Go!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
And the best of all :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well, that's a usual start for Canada

16-0 routing of Latvians.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Close game at the World Championships. 16-0 Win for Canada A win like that shows no class or sportsmanship when we are supposed to be the ambassadors of hockey. And how does that kind of win promote our sport. It shows that we are a Big fish in the very small pond called hockey. Instead of world championships they should change the name to Universe Championships. Cause no one plays hockey there either.
I am a former Jr BCJHL hockey player. I love the game. But there is a reason the world Jr hockey championships are held in Canada almost every year. No one else cares.
We are the worlds best for sure. But out of how many (really) countries that play hockey.
Yes there is now hockey in 100plus countries (IIHF)...with one or 2 arenas.
The way we act towards and hype hockey is sort of embarrassing.
Like a Premier team playing a div 3 team here in soccer, running up the score and then bragging about it with all the TV and hoopla that goes with it.
I say shame on us.
*Not only was the game not televised in Latvia..Most didnt care ,or even better,most dont have a TV. Let alone can afford skates and equipment to play. Or afford to maintain a rink.
* I dont really know.
What I do know because I was involved..Many of the teams comeing from Eastern Europe arrive with nothing. We pay the plane tix and hotels,ground transpertation,food and give every player all thier equipment includeing thier uniforms.
So we can humiliate them and knock the shite out of them to maintain we are the best at something.
I wish the CSA was as passionate about soccer as the CHA is about hockey.
Its a huge money grab for the CHL and the IIHF.
Hence way more world hockey championships in Canada than anywhere else.

Plain and Tall

Feb 2, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Goal Differential is the second tie-breaker, with Head-to-Head result being the obvious first.

In a tournament where there is such a difference between the good teams and the bad teams it is necessary to ensure you play the weakest team in the knockout stages. Sure, 16-0 is a bit extreme, but if it results in Canada playing say the Czech Republic over Russia, or Sweden in the first round. I'll take it.

It is harsh, but as long as the rules are this way, teams are going to use it to their advantage.

Edit: Simple Solution maybe? Just limit the max GD each game at say 6. This would allow teams to not pursue the need to score more...

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
A huge money grab yes, but it is also a big thing for these small countries players. The thing about Canada is no matter who is playing there will be a packed house, Lativa vs Belarus or whatever is the 9th place game, will be infront of 10,000 people instead of 12 people like in other countries. Most other countries, really only have fans for the home teams games and the rest have a few thousand. Most of these kids will never get to play in an atmosphere like that ever again, it is a once in a life time experience.
I do agree that Canadian fans going nuts for the 11-0 goal ans so on, is way over the top. However I think you are only seeing the negative side when really Canada puts on a amazing event, second to none and all these small countries love it. Latvia will keep battling and hopefully find a win against another lesser hockey nation, and they will have a stadium full of Canadian fans cheering them on.
Soccer is mickey mouse in this country and will be for a long time. In my opinion the diving in soccer really throws Canadian fans off, we are a nation full of "good Canadian kids" as Don cherry likes to say. Every non soccer guy I talk to says the diving ruins it for them because it seems like cheating is accepted. I tend to agree as when I watch with non soccer people it is quite embarrasing.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Like a Premier team playing a div 3 team here in soccer, running up the score and then bragging about it with all the TV and hoopla that goes with it.

Or even a Masters team playing a Masters team, witout the TV and hoopla. :)

Seriously, these teams don't get hammered in every game. The weaker teams get to play against other weaker teams and i imagine these games are more fun for them than the 1 or 2 drubbings they get in their pool.

And i'f we're paying for them to come play, really it's just a vacation then no?

We travelled to Hawaii for basketball and got hammered by some US teams each year, but there were some games we were in it, but really it was just a holiday with games on the side.

Teams wouldn't come if they didn't want to participate.

Kinda like Canada and the World Cup. We'll never make it but we'll keep trying to qualify. :)

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ya I was trying to get my dad into watching jumior hockey and after today I think my chances are slim to none. Blowout!

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Still...we are the inter galactic universal world champions of a sport that hardly any one plays....BIG FRICKIN DEAL ! is all Im saying.
No 3rd world country plays and Im not sure how many 2nd world countries play.(the only 2nd world countries that use to be apart of the USSR i might add).
Its a rich mans sport and not a big deal to be champions of.
About as important as being the POLO world champions.

I just hate all the hype about how great we are at something that has very little competition and means so little to anyone outside our bubble.
Ya its a trip of a lifetime to those involved and all that blah blah blah...
I just hate how we get so worked up over it like its the WWF or something.
Ya there are a few (6) countries that can play, But dont forget ...we pounded a top 10 team...A top 10 team 16-0...Winning the Championship 5 times in a row is the only thing that is acceptable to us...
Its just no big deal anymore and to jump up and down infront of the world says alot about us....
We are excited to be the champions of something not really anyone else cares about.
Hell drive 30 minutes south from my house and ask anyone on the street (Blain) and they will all say...World hooky Championships????? Whats that?

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Still...we are the inter galactic universal world champions of a sport that hardly any one plays....BIG FRICKIN DEAL ! is all Im saying.
No 3rd world country plays and Im not sure how many 2nd world countries play.(the only 2nd world countries that use to be apart of the USSR i might add).
Its a rich mans sport and not a big deal to be champions of.
About as important as being the POLO world champions.

I just hate all the hype about how great we are at something that has very little competition and means so little to anyone outside our bubble.
Ya its a trip of a lifetime to those involved and all that blah blah blah...
I just hate how we get so worked up over it like its the WWF or something.
Ya there are a few (6) countries that can play, But dont forget ...we pounded a top 10 team...A top 10 team 16-0...Winning the Championship 5 times in a row is the only thing that is acceptable to us...
Its just no big deal anymore and to jump up and down infront of the world says alot about us....
We are excited to be the champions of something not really anyone else cares about.
Hell drive 30 minutes south from my house and ask anyone on the street (Blain) and they will all say...World hooky Championships????? Whats that?

Honestly, are you telling me the Brazillians don't act this way when they win something they're expected to? The Americans when they win the basketball like they're expected to? You're wrong.....though a lot of countries may not play it to the level we do, a lot of people do follow it. Six in a row in anything is good........

Go Canada.

It does say a lot about most Canadians. They are proud to be Canadian and proud that Canada is the best in the world at something.......

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree with Shammy,
Every country excels at some sport............usually, and whether the rest of the world is good at it or not, they are damn excited when they win that title.

If Canada won a spot in the World Cup, would you watch every single game? I bet you would.
Do you think they'd be competitive in all of those games? Not likely, but you still watch them get blown away by the likes of Brazil.
Do you think they'd have a chance at winning it? Hell no.
Same goes for these so called "non-hockey" countries.

3.7million people watched the final game last year, pretty sure they weren't all canadian viewers.

On that note ghouse, scroll down to Latvia on this list and see what they consider thier national Winter Sport. :)

National sport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
CS ,Give me a break.... I played hockey and love it...I watch it and go to the games. I follow the Giants more than the Canucks. Ive even gone to support the new Abbotsford Heat. I made that respone because no matter what I say, Everyone here is a Canadian and Is happy we are good at something.And I will lose this piss take no matter what because of that. It has nothing to do with the BCPL.
The BCPL I might add IS wanted by more than not and IS going to happen.:)

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Only 2-0 after the first.....Swiss goalie is on fire, Canada should have had at least 5....

Fastest period of hockey I have ever seen

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0