Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

With a heavy heart...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Still stunned......everyone spoke of Kevin with the utmost respect. I consider myself lucky to have called him a teammate. Deepest condolences to the Hearne family and the Sapperton Rovers.

Sandman

SCP

Aug 22, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
a class act on and off the field...my condolences to his wife and family...

grosso family

Chad

Jul 12, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kevin Hearne... Lots to be said about him, Fiercest and most Competitive player on the field, and the Nicest guy you could meet off the field, I had the privalege to be coached by Kevin this year and on a few occasions play with him, no one could ever fill the "cleats" as well as he did. He is gone but not forgotten. My deepest condolences go out to his Family and Sapperton teammates.

R.I.P Kevin Hearne - You will be missed, but Never Forgotten.

-Chad Armstrong

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
By Eric J. Welsh
News Sports Editor
Jul 12 2006

Kevin Hearne, the head coach of the Tim Hortons Pinnacles soccer club, was killed in a single-vehicle car accident Saturday night. Hearne was a passenger in a 2000 Pontiac that veered off Highway 1 300 metres east of the Peardonville overpass in Abbotsford.

Fraser Valley Traffic and the Coroner’s Service are continuing their investigation but Steve Hiscoe of Chilliwack RCMP has confirmed that Hearne was not wearing a seat-belt and was thrown from the car.

The news of Hearne’s passing has hit many in Penticton hard. The 36-year-old was well known in the soccer community. Aside from his work with the Pinnacles he was also heavily involved with the South Okanagan Youth Soccer Association coaching several levels from mini-soccer up to district.

“I got to know Kevin really well over the last couple of years,” said SOYSA’s Ray Hintz, who spent countless hours on soccer pitches coaching with Hearne. “He was a quiet guy. He came across as shy but once you got to know him he really opened up. He cared about his kids a lot. They were his whole life.”

Hearne, who would have turned 37 on Sunday, left behind wife Poppy and children Jalen (5), Shayla (9) and Brayden (12).

“He was great with kids. When he coached mini-soccer he was like a little kid. Those little children really respected him because he was so patient and so good-natured with them," said Hintz.

He would play games with them and tease them and they’d tease him. They just adored him and their parents certainly respected him.”

Hearne moved to Penticton three years ago, taking a job in late 2003 as a teacher with School District 67. He worked in the Aboriginal Educational Program, spending time at Skaha Lake middle school and Princess Margaret secondary school.

“He was instrumental in helping aboriginal students reach their potential,” said School District 67 director of instruction Garth Schafer. “We were certainly shocked to hear the news. Kevin was a fine person and a fine teacher and he is certainly going to be missed.”

Hintz said Hearne always tried to lead by setting positive examples, whether he was in the classroom or on the soccer pitch. He always had time to talk to people and listen to their problems. He cared about what he did and he wanted to earn the respect of the people in Penticton.

“He was a very competitive guy,” said Hintz. “When things weren’t going well for the Pinnacles this year he’d sit around for a long time after the games talking about changes that he needed to make. But whenever he got out there he kept things positive. He worked extremely hard to make sure his teams stayed upbeat. He was just a complete professional.”

A memorial service for Hearne will be held at 11 a.m. Friday morning in his hometown of Salmo, which is located just south of Nelson.

Events will be held in Hearne’s honour at Sunday’s Penticton Pinnacles home game against the Okanagan Challenge. The game starts at 2 p.m.

Hintz said that will begin the healing process for those who knew and cared about Hearne.

“It’s going to take some time,” he said. “Yesterday was very emotional and today is emotional and the memorial service will be emotional. In Kevin’s mind he would want us to go forward and we have to go forward. It’s a sad day for Penticton but we’ll put his ideals into action and carry on with all the good things he did.”

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jul 12 2006

The Pacific Coast Soccer League Tim Hortons Pinnacles are trying to get past the shock of what happened Saturday night.

Head coach Kevin Hearne was killed in a single car accident in Abbotsford while on his way home from a tournament in the Lower Mainland. He was the passenger. The driver of the car escaped serious harm.

For many of the local soccer players Hearne was a mentor. For many of them he was also a friend.

Pinnacles manager Manuel Borba was woken up in the wee hours of Sunday morning by friend in Vancouver who gave him the bad news.

“Kevin was down at the coast all last week coaching at a camp,” said Borba. “He was helping out at a tournament in Langley on Saturday and then he was going to drive back to Penticton for our game Sunday. On the way his car went off the road and rolled over and he got ejected.”

Borba didn’t want to believe it at first, and it took several hours to get past the first wave of shock. By 9 a.m. Sunday morning Borba was busy fielding dozens of phone calls from friends and acquaintances of Hearne’s.

“It’s just terrible,” he said. “He was full of life. He was full of energy. He was hard working and he loved the game of soccer. Off the pitch he was a quiet man. You often hear people say the nicest people in hockey are the tough guys. Kevin was one of the most feared players on a soccer pitch because he would do anything to win. Off the field he was so gentle and quiet.”

News of the tragedy hit an Internet forum at early Sunday morning and was met with sad words from many well-wishers.

“Kevin was an inspiration and a great friend,” wrote one poster, Iain Sneddon. “No matter what the situation Kevin was always smiling. The one thing that always comes to mind is him playing hurt. Whether it was a huge cut on his head all bandaged up or ruptured hamstring, the Criminal (Hearne’s nickname) would still go and play his heart out.”

SOYSA treasurer Derrick Webb worked closely with Hearne on a number of soccer projects.

“It was devastating to hear,” he said. “Kevin was one of those guys you always thought would be indestructible because of the way he played. You never expect this to happen to someone like him. He was committed to the game of soccer and the kids here in this town. He spent hours with them.”

The Pinnacles’ scheduled Sunday home game versus the Khalsa Sporting Club was cancelled after the team heard the bad news and the Pinnacles held a meeting to talk things over.Manager Borba said many of the players were hit hard by his death and there will be much discussion as the team decides how to move forward without its coach.

“We have a very young team,” said Borba. “We have two games left and I’m leaving it up to them to decide what they want to do. If they didn’t want to play anymore than that’s fine. We’d let the league know. But to a man they said they want to keep going and play on for Kevin. It’s hard on a lot of people who knew him.”

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Burnaby, BC - The Sapperton Rovers celebrated their biggest triumph with their first Provincial Cup championship earlier this year. Last Saturday, they suffered their biggest loss.

Kevin Hearne helped found the club in 1994 and commuted to Rovers games on weekends. He’d been in Langley for a tournament and was headed back to Penticton where Rovers head coach Bryan Wevers and some teammates were waiting to celebrate his 37th birthday Sunday.
“We’d just talked to him and he said, ‘I’ll be home soon,’” said Wevers.

The team never worried too much about Hearne’s safety on the highway since he was used to treacherous driving conditions coming from the Kootenay community of Salmo with its mountainous terrain.
“When it was an hour before the game and we knew he’d made it, it lifted our spirits because you’d wonder whether he’d be held up on the Coquihalla Highway or something,” said Wevers. “It showed his dedication and how much he had wanted [success for the Rovers] as well. It’s heartbreaking.”

Hearne and Wevers played together at the University of British Columbia in the early ’90s. Hearne won numerous all-star honours, led the Thunderbirds to a national championship in 1992 and was named Canada’s best university player in 1993.
“Part of it was you felt Kevin was always so invincible,” said Wevers.
“He sustained injuries before but was so tough he’d play through it and I’m not talking about slight injuries. He broke his nose three or four times and kept playing.”

One time, said Wevers, Hearne not only broke his nose in a collision with a goalkeeper but split his head open as well.
“He went over to the sidelines and told the guys there to tape it up and then he went out and scored the winning goal in overtime on a header no less,” said Wevers. “That basically made a legend out of him. Most players they break a nose and they’re out of the game, but not Kevin.
“He was a complete gentleman. He played hard. That’s why it’s hard to comprehend that Kevin couldn’t survive it and someone else did. It just goes to show how fragile we all are.”

Wevers recalled how happy Hearne was to win the Rovers’ first Provincial Cup in April, especially all the hard work that went into it during the past 12 years.
“This was to be a summer of celebration,” said Wevers.

The club was to begin preparations not only for next season but as provincial champions they will play in the national championships in Surrey this fall. Wevers said they will dedicate their efforts at that tournament to Hearne. His No. 13 jersey will never be worn again by a Rover. One of his uniforms, said Wevers, will be buried with Hearne.
“We always thought it was unlucky 13 for his opponents,” said Wevers.

Wevers will be coaching the Pinnacles this afternoon when they take on the Okanagan Challenge at King’s Park in a game that starts at 2 p.m.

T-Idiot

Sep 30, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Deepest condolences to his family and friends
from Rob Townsend and family and I know from the lads @ RUFC
I personally didn't know him but have played againest him in the past
Solid , Imposing but not cheap and a great player to boot .. somebody you wished to have on your team
to his teammates .. you were licky

highlander

Jul 22, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was at the funeral in Salmo ,the community showed there support and respect for Kevin.
It will take a while for me personally having lived with Kevin and Poppy before Brayden was born.
Althought it was a short time Kevin was always the first person to help out in any situation.
This was brought up so many times at the funeral.
The honour guard was something i will always remember, as we all past and present players from sapperton stood in rows as Kevin was taken to his final resting place.
Thanks Brian W
Kevin Hearne you will be greatly missed !!
Bill Muirhead

besty

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't know what to say, I have been reading all the posts since the tragedy and it is obvious Kevin touched many peoples lives, myself included.

My heart goes out to all his family.

He will not be forgotten.

Besty

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
just like billy ,I will miss my pal reall badly,It wasnt long ago when my son Kallum was born,that kev gave my some reall good advice(enjoy every moment of your boy & your wife to be & be a good Dad............)thanks for all the exciting times on & off the pitch,fishing in the Kootneys,road trips,been a follower & looking up to you,there is only one kevin hearne.........one kevin hearne.....
To poppy,brayden,shayla & Jaylen...sorry for the loss of one BRILLIANT person....your DAD

R.I.P hearne doggy

GARY,LESLEY & KALLUM CORR

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fitting tribute
By David Crompton
Monday, July 17, 2006, 12:01 AM

http://www.pentictonherald.ca/article_1595.php

Email this article
Send a Letter to the Editor about this Story
Printer friendly page

It was an emotional and heartwarming farewell tribute to Kevin Hearne, and the Penticton Tim Hortons Pinnacles put the icing on the cake by beating their arch-rivals for the second day in a row.

The Pinnacles defeated the Okanagan Challenge 5-1 in the Pacific Coast Soccer League finale in front of a sun-drenched gathering of around 1,000 people, many who came to honour and say goodbye to Hearne ñ the second-year player-coach who had quickly become the lifeblood of the Pinnacles.
Hearne lost his life in a car accident on July 8, one day before he was to turn 37.

"We all knew this was a game Kevin dearly wanted to win," said Hearneís close friend and Pinnacles interim coach Bryan Wevers, doing his best to choke back the tears.

"There was so much emotion here today and so much pressure to win this game for Kevin. The guys really made a statement with their heart, determination and perseverance and from a personal standpoint, Iím just so relieved and so ecstatic we could do this for the great people at the Penticton Soccer Club and all the people in Penticton Kevin has touched in his three years here."

The Pinnacles lineup was loaded with players from the Sapperton Rovers team from the Vancouver Metro Soccer League that Hearne had played and coached with since 1996. Sapperton players accounted for all five of the goals, with Emilio Bollieri scoring twice and Paul Favaro, Colin Phillips and Mike Favaro adding singles.

Marty Johnson scored early in the second half for the Challenge, who trailed 2-0 at the break.

Pinnacles manager Manuel Borba noted there were 23 players who wanted to be in the lineup, but league rules stipulate only 17 can. "There were more Sapperton guys than Pinnacles Ö itís a nice problem to have with everyone wanting to play," said Borba. "Some of our local guys graciously bowed out to let the Sapperton guys play."

Numerous other Sapperton officials were on hand, as were Hearneís parents and brother from Salmo, B.C. Also honoured at the game were Hearneís wife, Poppy, and their three children, Brayden, Shayla and Jaylen. "It was just fantastic to have his parents and brother here as well," said Borba.
"They were quite overwhelmed by the heartfelt emotion ... they didn't realize the impact Kevin has had in such a short time here in Penticton. Kevin was always very humble, he never told them about all the things he was involved with."

The Pinnacles, the Penticton Soccer Club, the South Okanagan Youth Soccer Association and Sapperton presented Poppy and the three children with a trip to Disneyland.
"The family, I think especially the kids, really needed this," said Wevers.

"They have suffered an absolutely devastating blow, but they have to get some normalcy back in their lives and hopefully this is something that helps. It was just the icing on the cake to be able to do this for the family."

Wevers credited the soccer club officials, notably Borba, Ray Hintz, Alex Ferreira and president Dale Anderson, for doing such a superb job of arranging the tribute to Hearne.
"There was a lot of grieving after what happened, and there still is, but those guys managed to stay focused and put together a wonderful send-off for Kevin," said Wevers, who is player-coach at Sapperton.

Wevers also expressed gratitude to the Challenge organization for its cooperation and support.
"They let us do what we had to do to honour Kevin," stressed Wevers. "For them to also wear the black armbands, thatís unheard of, so Iíd like to thank them for everything they did over these two games." Borba added the Challenge showed tremendous sportsmanship in allowing the Pinnacles to field two completely different lineups with so many Sapperton players going in and out over the two games.
"They realized it was a tribute to someone who meant a lot to so many people, and that those Sapperton players out there had a huge emotional attachment to Kevin. (Manager) Eric Tasker and (captain) Morgan Marrs and their players showed a tremendous amount of class and sportsmanship."

The Pinnacles, who won 4-3 in Kelowna on Saturday, finished the season with a 4-7-3 record for 15 points. Penticton lost just one of its last seven games.

© Monday, July 17, 2006Copyright PentictonHerald.ca

jambo

Jul 17, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I had the privilege of playing with Kevin at Sapperton Rovers. That was the first time I met 'criminal'. He was biggest friendliest giant there and I knew he was the man to get into a tackle with. Lucky for me I went right through him, but sadly I will never know if he let me do it. Probably :) That was my favourite memory of Kevin
He was a man I looked up to and admired for his inspiration, leadership and dedication to his teammates.

Kevin, may you rest in peace good man.

My heart goes out to his family

Scott Sneddon

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
knvb said:
Burnaby, BC - The Sapperton Rovers celebrated.....

Hearne and Wevers played together at the University of British Columbia in the early ’90s.

I don't know where they got that, but I won't say anything. We met, not played together, at UBC.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Penticton Pinnacles 5 - Okanagan Challenge 1

It was an awesome day. The crowd was electric and the guys fed off it and the situation surrounding it.
We came out a bit flat but scored 2 late in the half. After Kelowna got 1 back early in the 2nd, Penticton dominated the rest of the game creating numerous chances, great play, and fantastic goals. It was an unbelievable performance on and off the pitch.

Before the game, all the teams that Kev coached in some way or another were lead onto the field.
At half time, many people spoke about Kevin, and his family was given a trip to Disneyland. This was something the family was planning to do this fall before the accident. It was a great moment.
Late in the 2nd half there was a loud standing ovation for Kevin-even players on the pitch, while the game was still in progress, started applauding.
After the game, Kev's kids were hoisted onto Pinnacle player shoulders and paraded in front of the bleachers. The radiant smiles on their faces were much needed for them.

I couldn't think of a more perfect way, perfect day to celebrate Kev's life.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
whataboutbob said:
Penticton Pinnacles 5 - Okanagan Challenge 1

It was an awesome day. The crowd was electric and the guys fed off it and the situation surrounding it.
We came out a bit flat but scored 2 late in the half. After Kelowna got 1 back early in the 2nd, Penticton dominated the rest of the game creating numerous chances, great play, and fantastic goals. It was an unbelievable performance on and off the pitch.

Before the game, all the teams that Kev coached in some way or another were lead onto the field.
At half time, many people spoke about Kevin, and his family was given a trip to Disneyland. This was something the family was planning to do this fall before the accident. It was a great moment.
Late in the 2nd half there was a loud standing ovation for Kevin-even players on the pitch, while the game was still in progress, started applauding.
After the game, Kev's kids were hoisted onto Pinnacle player shoulders and paraded in front of the bleachers. The radiant smiles on their faces were much needed for them.

I couldn't think of a more perfect way, perfect day to celebrate Kev's life.

You Sapperton Rovers/Penticton Pinnacles are an amazing bunch of guys. I cannot think of handling such a tragic situation better than the way you have all handled it.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ballbaby said:
You Sapperton Rovers/Penticton Pinnacles are an amazing bunch of guys. I cannot think of handling such a tragic situation better than the way you have all handled it.

Totally agree, Ballbaby. Both organizations have been top notch in trying to help the family. Well done to WhataboutBob and everyone involved.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Talked with Brian Donald last night and yes, he just kept chatting about what a great weekend it was.

Woody mentioned the same on Monday night.

Wel done to the Sapperton Rovers and Penticton Pinnacles on your fitting tribute.

All class is right.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If Sapperton is not team of the year for both soccer and BC sport, there is something definitely wrong.

This latest gesture by the organization really shouldn't be surprising considering all the past stuff they have done in their community.

Extremely well done guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0