Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

With a heavy heart...

Status
Not open for further replies.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It is with the heaviest of hearts I start this thread and I apologize to those of you finding out this way…

Kevin Hearne tragically died last night in a traffic accident. My sincerest and deepest heart-felt sympathies go out to his family as well as his Sapperton Rovers and Penticton Pinnacles team mates and friends. There is literally no end to the kind things I would like say about my experiences with Kevin, but I will mention that he was probably the fiercest competitor on the park I’ve ever encountered and probably the most gentile, polite, kind and sincerest man off it. Rest in peace Kevin, I will miss you.

Dave Hleucka

Kevin Hearne was a native of Salmo, BC. He started his post-secondary playing career at Selkirk College in Castelgar before moving on to the University of British Columbia, where he was recognized as a two-time Canada West First Team All-star, a two-time Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) All-Canadian, Canada West Player of the Year, CIS Player of the Year and CIS National Championship Game MVP. Kevin led the Thunderbirds to the 1993 National Championship.

Following his graduation from UBC, Kevin continued to enjoy a very successful playing career in the Vancouver Metro League Premier Division before moving to Penticton where he is currently the player/coach of the Penticton Pinnacles of the PCSL and the Technical Director for the South Okanagan Youth Soccer Association in addition to his employment as a teacher in School District 67. His rare combination of great technical skill, competitive nature, and soft-spoken manner make him an inspirational coach and person.

Attachments

• womenssoccer_hearne.jpg
    womenssoccer_hearne.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 639
  • indexphoto.jpg
    indexphoto.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 709
  • 2005-07-24-OPEN-Carib3-0Scotland012.jpg
    2005-07-24-OPEN-Carib3-0Scotland012.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 663

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Brutal.

It's always a shocker when these things happen, never sure what the appropriate thing to say at these times.

Criminal was one of a kind. Hard as nails on the pitch, a pussycat off.

Our heartfelt condelenses to Poppy, the kids and the rest of the Hearne family.

The Regniers.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Unbelievable...............:mad:

You could not have found a more honest individual on and off the field. I'm in complete shock right now and can only pass my sincerest condolensces to the Hearne family. It will be a difficult road ahead but remember you'll never walk alone.

Stephen Burns

J_B

Jul 22, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I had the pleasure of speaking with Kevin over the last few years and would like to reiterate that Kevin was by far a gentle giant for soccer. A hard gritty player on the pitch and a true gentleman off.

I would like to express my condolences to his family, friends and soccer communities which Kevin touched.

You will be missed, but not forgotten.

John Blair

Ralph Wiggum

Jun 10, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
wow - can't explain how shocked I am at this, have so many great memories of the season at UBC with him, condolences to his family...

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I didn't know Kevin Hearne, but heard plenty of great things about him, as a player, coach and person. Similar to Domenic Mobilio, from all accounts Kevin appeared to be a person who had so much good to bring to our soccer community. And tragically like Dom, yet another bright light taken from us all too soon.

From the Tri-Cities Xtreme, I pass on our deepest condolences to the Hearne family and his friends, as well as to Kevin's extended family with the Penticton Pinnacles and SOYSA.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sad news logging on here on an otherwise quiet Sunday night...

I have had the pleasure of being on the same pitch as Kevin Hearne into at least double digit encounters.
Always in opposition and must say, yes, one of the toughest players I've ever played against.
Rock solid so he was but also an incredibly gifted player.

My condolences to his family and to all of those close to him.

Rest in peace Kevin.

Fraser Ross

MeatBag

May 27, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have had the honour to have worked with Kev with the SOYSA tech commitee the last 3 years and endorsed his application as Head Coach.
I have played with and against him, as well (enjoyed the former much more than the latter for sure.)
I have coached his kids at his request (a bigger honour)
I have had countless pints and gotten in more shyte as a result .
He was a great guy and has left a great hole in our soccer community.
To Poppy and the kids, I am truly sorry.
To the Sapperton lads hang in guys.....Kev would expect nothing less.
To SOYSA and the Pinnacles....as we discussed many times that the game is about what you leave behind and he inspired so many kids to play this game.
When I think of the face of Canadian Soccer I will always think of Kevin.

Larry Morgan aka "MeatBag"

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Terrible news, as it is always when we lose one of our own.

I didn't know Kevin as well, but had the pleasure of playing w/ him in a summer tourney out at UBC, about 1996. As has been said, dominant on the field, the nicest guy off.

Sincerest condolences to friends and family. Classy write-up, KNVB.

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
WOW, Im shocked. On behalf of Columbus Clan our deepst condolences to his family and Sapperton Rovers.

RIP

Luca Dalla Pace

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
on behalf of dave corr!

this is one of the saddest days in my life to lose one of my best friends ,kev...was all what a coach always wanted,on or off the pitch,we had agreat frendship & was looking forward to seeing him & poppy at my sons wedding in august..,

to poppy,braiden,jaden & shaila.............god bless & keep the faith

Dave Corr

R.I.P

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kevin died in a single MVA on his way to Penticton from Fort Langley on Sat night at 9:00PM. He was the passenger in the car that went off Hwy 1 just West of the Mt Lehman exit. The driver survived. He was one day away from celebrating his 37th B-Day.

We were up in Penticton Sat. night waiting for him to get home to celebrate...what else can I say.

Today, coming back from Penticton, Kent Waechter and I started his impromptu shrine at the site of the accident; just East of the Fraser Hwy entrance to Hwy 1 and West of Mt. Lehman Exit. A road runs parallel to Hwy 1, and it is a safe place to stop off the Hwy.

Add your wishes if you would like.

Bryan Wevers

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow, an unbelievable talent and from all I've heard, a great guy. My most heartfelt condolences to all his family and friends.

Peter Stannard

Skip

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
So sad, and shocked to hear this news tonight. He was definitely one of a kind. A warrior on the field, and a gentle soul off.

My deepest sympathies to Poppy, and the rest of Kevin's family.

Mark Orso

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What a complete shock to come on here to read comments on the World Cup and read this shocking news.

Kevin Hearne through Joe McIntyre was instrumental in getting our then homeless team to join Sapperton as their CAT team a few years back. After we met with Kevin alone he spoke on our behalf to Bryan Wevers to make the arrangements.

I recall that much of the rationale for moving revolved around the character and quality of Kevin Hearne. Only Lester Pun who had been an accidental victim of a Kevin Hearne challenge for a ball the year we beat out Sapperton for promotion to Premier questioned the move. Lester asked if he had not been able to walk again would we still have gone to Sapperton.

To us and to me, Kevin Hearne was a giant of a man whose tenacity and intensity on the playing field was exceeded only by the quality of his character and integrity off the field.

My heart goes out to Poppy and their family and to all those close to Kevin as I know how much he was admired and respected by all who had the opportunity to know him.

larsson

Aug 12, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
to the hearne family,

Kevin was a inspiration and a great friend. No matter what the situation ,Kevin was always smiling. The one thing that always comes to mind is him playing hurt whether it was a huge cut on his head all bandaged up or a rutured hamstring the "criminal" would still go out and play his heart out. My condolences to Poppy and the kids. Hearne Dog R.I.P

Sincerely,

Iain Sneddon

Sliver

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is very sad news.

I had the opportunity to play both with and against Kevin, and I must say it sure was nice when Kevin was on your team.

My deepest sympathies and condolences go out to his family.

Lloyd Silva

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Heard this tragic news yesterday afternoon out in Richmond at the 7 a side. Kevin was a very fierce competitor, and I had the pleasure of playing against him on numerous occasions in the VMSL. He was always a handful to deal with. I'd like to pass along my sincerest condolences to his family and to all of the Sapperton and Penticton boys who knew him much better.

Dario Kuna

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have never had the opportunity to meet or play against Kevin Hearne, but from what I have heard, and judging by the posts in this thread, he was a remarkable and inspirational person. I would like to offer my condolences to his family, friends and others connected to him in the soccer and teaching communities.

RIP

reedie

Sep 20, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
If ever there was a man you would think could survive a car accident of any magnitude, it would be Kevin Hearne. He’d be the guy carrying 2 or 3 other injured people away from the scene. Sadly, this wasn’t the case.

I had the pleasure of meeting Kevin and witnessing his arrival on the local soccer scene back in the early 1990’s at UBC where he landed his unique nickname. He very quickly established himself as simply the toughest player in BC. He could also score goals and was the kind of leader most teams could only dream to have on their side. He was by no means dirty, but you would cringe seeing him go into a 50/50 ball because you knew even a brick wall would come up on the short end of that encounter. As Sneds points out, some of the best memories on the pitch include Kevin playing through injuries that would have put others out for weeks or months…Kevin was the poster boy for strength and inspiration.

I didn’t get to know him too well away from the game but hearing that he had a wife and children literally breaks your heart. I cannot imagine how difficult this time must be. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and to those that knew him best, including the Sapperton and Penticton soccer clubs.

With Sincere Condolences,
Rob Reed and family

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0