Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Whitecaps vs Montreal - Nutrilite Semifinal

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dunfields goal, while well taken, was simply horrific defending from a set piece, he could have taken a touch with his left foot, done a step over or two and then hit it in.

The first half was terrible stuff by both teams, Gerba did a good job dropping in behind Rochat and Boxall but the final ball was never very good for the Limpact... Again the Caps insisted in the first half to play hump and hope...

I still think they should have had Moloud playing CB with Boxall and have Rochat next to Terry D in MF...

Until Chiumiento (as the Captain says) loses some weight or gets a bit taller he won't be able to play over here full 90 minute games, he is just too light duty...

This game has just shown me more and more that Teitur tactics will only allow us to do OK against poor sides and probably not get wins against beatable teams that are of quality.

Last night was the perfect opportunity to play with one pure striker (Hassli?) with Chiumiento in a supporting forward role with Dunfield and any combination of Koffie, khalfan, Harmse, Rochat, or Akloul pairing him deep in CMF.

JAGS

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Either Pink Kit is not very slimming, or Ali Gerba has not pushed away from too many Montreal Poutine Buffet Tables. He is a big man, but heading towards soon to be calling for the ball like this dude ........ "Hey Hey Hey, it's Ali Gerba".

Attachments

• Gerba.jpg
    Gerba.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 61

reedie

Sep 20, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Last night's game reminded me of the old CSL days. The crowd was sparse, the kit was hideous and, above all, the soccer was shocking. The only thing missing was Vic Rauter and Graham Legget. Those two beauties and the GM legend himself, Alan Ferris.

The MLS games have generally looked more professional and higher standard (maybe it's the settings) but when you match up an expansion team with an NASL team in front of family and friends, it is not easy on the eyes. It could not have been much better in Edmonton...in fact, it was probably worse.

Also not a very good idea to transition from a Barcelona/Real Madrid game to a Nutrilite fixture on the same day.

between the pipes

Aug 18, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Last night's game reminded me of the old CSL days. The crowd was sparse, the kit was hideous and, above all, the soccer was shocking. The only thing missing was Vic Rauter and Graham Legget. Those two beauties and the GM legend himself, Alan Ferris.

The MLS games have generally looked more professional and higher standard (maybe it's the settings) but when you match up an expansion team with an NASL team in front of family and friends, it is not easy on the eyes. It could not have been much better in Edmonton...in fact, it was probably worse.

Also not a very good idea to transition from a Barcelona/Real Madrid game to a Nutrilite fixture on the same day.

Reedie I think you were mistaken, those were not empty blue seats at the Match. They were Caps fans supporting the Caps by wearing the away kit!!! I kept waiting for Nash to give the Shout to the "Super Sub Dooouuugggg Muirheeeeaaaddd!!!!" Man I really miss the good old days!!

Sep 29, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money

Indeed. I made the opposite mistake of watching the Caps game and then El Clasico on PVR. I'm not sure but I think it might be a different sport.

Anyway, last night was pretty painful to watch but good to get the result and (assuming nothing shocking on Wednesday) set up a home and away with TFC. Salinas was a bright spot. Looked deadly for the short time he was out there and pace doesn't seem to be a problem coming back from his injury.

I'm still a big Chiumiento fan but he has lost a step since dominating in his first couple of appearances and maybe a new position behind the front man is the answer. Plus, if you are playing wide as part of a 4-4-2, it helps if you actualy stay wide. Can't count how many times in the last two games Leathers or the centre mids have been looking to play the ball to his feet on the touch line and he's floating inside where the striker or attacking midfielder would be.

We are struggling in the centre but having Koffie back will be a huge boost. I seem to be in the minority that thinks Dunfield is playing ok. He may not be flashy but after watching the two games without him, the distribution from our centre-mids is exponentially better when he's in there. I like the concept of Rochat in there, at least until Koffie is back and Thorrington healthy, etc. but I believe we had a brief experiment with that earlier in the year and he was less than stellar. Once (if) they get healthy, I think the long-term solution needs to be Rochat at left back and Wagner anywhere but on the pitch.

As noted, that Impact kit is an abomination.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
that pink kit is for the NCC only, IIRC.

Dunfield imho, has been prone to too many turnovers, if you go back and watch the game(why would you ever do that!!?!) You'd prolly count in the neighborhood of 7-8 passes directly to pink tops, and perhaps only 2-3 of his passes actually made it through to Camilo or Hassli in the final third including the one to the Impact player on a breakaway-Should never have been called offside!!!. perhaps the "heavy pitch" as Martin Nash called it, had lots to do with the quality of the passes made on the ground last night... perhaps not.

Sep 29, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dunfield imho, has been prone to too many turnovers, if you go back and watch the game(why would you ever do that!!?!) You'd prolly count in the neighborhood of 7-8 passes directly to pink tops, and perhaps only 2-3 of his passes actually made it through to Camilo or Hassli in the final third including the one to the Impact player on a breakaway-Should never have been called offside!!!. perhaps the "heavy pitch" as Martin Nash called it, had lots to do with the quality of the passes made on the ground last night... perhaps not.

You're spot on there. I guess I'm just haunted by visions of games where he wasn't there and I can't remember our centre-mids touching the ball more than 4 or 5 times. Partly a product of the back-line humping it over them but their various replacements also don't show for the ball as well as Dunfiled or Koffie. They also seem to enjoy the 'miracle' long-ball over three people's heads that runs straight to the opposing keeper. At least Terry seems to look for short balls to feet and build up through the mid, etc. As Nasher would say (about 100 times), he does "ever so well" in that department.

Agree the execution could use some work though :rolleyes:

reedie

Sep 20, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Russell Teibert was the Caps best player last night. He's got a great left peg and knows when/how to cross the ball. He is an up and coming player for Canada and it will be very interesting to see how we manage to ruin him.

Someone else mentioned this earlier and I totally agree....we need to try a different formation because it is getting very stagnat and predictable out there. As the Montreal coach said, "Teitar is never going to surprise me tactically." I think the 4-3-1-2 was the shout by someone else and again I agree. Play Hassli up top with Salgado (we need to see what this kid can do) and play Chiumiento in behind them in a free role. He can drift wherever he wants and get the ball a lot more in those dangerous areas...it's also in the middle of the park where he wants to be. Play 3 sturdy midfielders in behind Chiumeinto, one which COULD potentially be Dunfield in some capacity but definitely another that needs to be our next designated player, a beast in the middle of the park to run the entire show for this team. Get DeMerit fit and healthy and play him with Rochet in the middle of the back, a world class ball winner combined with a smooth "sweeper". Then play Teibert as an attacking left back and find another full back not named Leathers, Knight, and especially Wagner. Fcuk me Paul Dailly could still do a better job than any of these guys.

Perhaps the most shocking thing out of all of this is that people, including me, seem to be interested in following this team. At least for now. There were 2 NHL game 7's on last night and for some reason I watched the entire Whitecaps game. Maybe because I placed a wager on it but still...

My 2 cents

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
agreed, but you're unlikely to see a real attacking/flair/possession style set up (formation wise) in MLS, the game is almost too rugged for the officials to properly protect the players and the teams have not the depth because of the salary cap to be able to play these sorts of formations...

ideally if everyone was fit and the depth was there they'd go:
-------------Hassli------------Camilo/Salgado-------------
-------------------Chiumiento----------------------------
----Koffie/Thorrington---Dunfield----Morfaw/Khalfan--------
Teibert--------Rochat-----------Demerit---------Salinas

The problem then becomes depth... There is nobody on the bench behind any of these guys that can step in without considerable drop off...except for this new Peter Vagenas guy that the Caps signed, who I haven't seen play, but is supposedly and experienced MLS Central Midfielder... perhaps he is the help for Koffie/Dunfield?

I'd truly prefer to see them play at home and against "weak" opponents on the road with a 4-3-1-2, but with wingers instead of three in the central midfield, and away in a 4-1-4-1

Masry

Dec 15, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Out of curiosity, did anyone see that the Impact's coach was wearing a full suit looking professional while Teitur was wearing a pinnie?

reedie

Sep 20, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
agreed, but you're unlikely to see a real attacking/flair/possession style set up (formation wise) in MLS, the game is almost too rugged for the officials to properly protect the players and the teams have not the depth because of the salary cap to be able to play these sorts of formations...

ideally if everyone was fit and the depth was there they'd go:
-------------Hassli------------Camilo/Salgado-------------
-------------------Chiumiento----------------------------
----Koffie/Thorrington---Dunfield----Morfaw/Khalfan--------
Teibert--------Rochat-----------Demerit---------Salinas

The problem then becomes depth... There is nobody on the bench behind any of these guys that can step in without considerable drop off...except for this new Peter Vagenas guy that the Caps signed, who I haven't seen play, but is supposedly and experienced MLS Central Midfielder... perhaps he is the help for Koffie/Dunfield?

I'd truly prefer to see them play at home and against "weak" opponents on the road with a 4-3-1-2, but with wingers instead of three in the central midfield, and away in a 4-1-4-1

I'm not asking for flair. I would just like to see players in roles where they are most comfortable and making the most out of our roster of talent. The formation can be anything on the chalkboard but tell the team Chiumeinto has a free role in behind 2 high and central strikers, Hassli and Salgado. Tell the team these 3 players are not going to do a lot of defending. Tell the team the other 7 players will have to do a lot of defending. They are professionals and can sort out the marking very easily by communicating with each other and moving their legs. Then when we win the ball back, get it up to Hassli and Salgado asap. They will get it to Chiumiento and we're off to the races. In reality, I'm asking for more route 1.

It's a simple game ;)

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Listening to the post-game show afterwards on the way home and was thinking WTF? Did I miss something? They were going off about what drama and how well the Caps played... ask Ballbaby, I was not happy with the way that game was played.

At least Knight didn't see the pitch. That's a positive.

R-Tee

Mar 16, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ok, we won, awesome but are you ****ing serious? Last second of the game unmarked gerba on a fast break: Montreal should have won. I'll take it but wow, bush man!

Sep 29, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ok, we won, awesome but are you ****ing serious? Last second of the game unmarked gerba on a fast break: Montreal should have won. I'll take it but wow, bush man!

No doubt. Not sure if it's on TT or the players (probably both) but how we don't have 10 guys behind the ball, let alone their most dangerous player wide f**king open in the box is beyond me. Would have been lame to go out on yet another blown call on the peno but we were lucky considering we did not play well and they hit the post twice in ET.

Few bright spots though. I thought Khoffie and Dunfield both had great games in the middle. Camillo was just what the doctor ordered, running at their big centre backs (not feeling the Hassli / Salgado partnership at all). Salinas was stellar again and, if healthy, should ensure we don't see another Knight performance like last weekend. Tiebert looked good as well, although probably not as stellar as last week.

Just a couple of vents:

Chuimiento had a better game tonight and ran hard but why does he absolutely refuse to get wide and check-back so he can get the ball to his feet from the backs? So fundamental when playing wide in a 4-4-2. Salinas and Tiebert do it constantly and always look dangerous as a result. If Chiumiento's not there, Leathers humps it and we lose the ball. Totally agree with the repeated calls for TT to play him in the hole behind the stiker(s) and I think they tried that briefly before Khalfan came on.

And this is a more obscure one but how the hell does the tall bald left back not get sent off for a second yellow after chopping down Camillo from behind when he's cutting across the top of the box, ready to shoot? So strange how a ref can make a gutsy (although wrong) game changing call at one end and chicken out on a stone cold booking like that.

All-in-all, more stressful than it should have been but got the match-up with TFC. Should be a blast!

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0