Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier [VMSL Premier] Predictions, Results & Banter 2016/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Stop traffic- it's what you've all been waiting for: Completely Baseless Predictions for the Premier season.

A reminder to those unfamiliar with my column I am pulling these completely out of my ass...

1) West Van

Defeat again and again and again and again at the hands of last years Champions Coquitlam; surely there is motivation to exceed last season's finish. The former Trollers have a long established pedigree and are always there or there abouts at the end of the season. Their U21 team departed for the FVSL Premier devision last season, but have now been recalled. One assumes this is to inject new youth and exuberance into the side. While the kids didn't exactly light the world on fire across the river it would be rational to assume that only the top players will be introduced into the main side. This, I figure, has allowed for some turnover and trimming of the deadwood along with an injection of youth and some competition for roster spots. I say this, combined with a desire to assert themselves as top dogs once more, gets the North Shore lads back to the top of the pile.

2) Pegasus
Being defending Provincial Champions should have ensured that the squad only strengthened over the summer. Peg are traditionally slow starters and a trip to Nationals on the other side of the country isn't going to help that. That being said it would be foolish to think a late season charge won't have them in the title conversation down the stretch. The Surrey lads have always been top calibre and quiet rumblings of them following their municipal cousins to the FVSL were quickly quelled when Peg won the Provincial Title. The best competition remains in the VMSL (at least for now) and the best team in the Province wants to play in, arguably, the best league in the Province.

3) Coquitlam Metro Ford
The League and Cup double likely only somewhat helps cover the wound left when they lost the Provincial final. One or two exits over the summer will not have hindered the Tri Cities boys much and they should be in the title race right to the bitter end. When it comes down to it though, as much as they are no doubt keen to defend their trophies, it's a case of been there done that. Peg proved last year, it doesn't matter where you finish in the table, you only have to win the one game that really counts. I figure the one overarching focus for Metro Ford will be winning the Provincial Cup; anything else is gravy.

4) Rovers Tigers Utd.
The departure of Surrey Utd. has left a vacancy in the traditional Top 4 and while there will be no shortage of candidates to fill it, I'm going to take a flyer on Tigers. Whispers of the cheque book flowing a la the CCBRTU days looks to have helped with recruitment. The roster has star power and while of course there will be no confirmation of money changing hands, look for the rumours to persist (maybe it's just something about the name "Tigers"?). This method has been successful, but as discussed many times, it has yet to lead a team to the top. The usual life cycle is very, very close, followed by a steady decline and then, ultimately, implosion (see: CCBRTU, Ayjal, etc.). We are at the start of this process so I am banking on success, and a decent amount of it, coupled with maybe a few lop sided drubbings of weaker teams in the division.

5) Club Inter

Arguably the VMSL's most unpredicatable team. They get relegated 4 seasons ago, bounce back, look destined for relegation, then miraculously shoot up the table. The next season they are Provincial Finalists, then last year they need a playoff to get in only to lose in the first round. Classic Jekyll and Hyde. Which Inter team will we see this season? No idea, doubt they even know. Rumours of a few players moving on to other opportunities in life, but the "Italians" seem to have a decent in at UBC and come November will no doubt get their usual injection of top quality ball players.

6) Croatia

Every year you think Sulentic and Co. are finally going to implode and every year they just seem to end up mid-table and in the Provincials. That's veteran experience, no doubt combined with smart injections of youth. The cracks did seem to appear at times last season in the form of a pair of lop sided loses as well as a shock exit to Div 1 Bingers Army in the opening round of the Imperial Cup. Despite this I expect they will have found a way to wallpaper over there weaknesses for the upcoming season. Nothing flashy, just consistency.

7) North Delta
Surrey Utd. will look to bounce back after a tough Provincial campaign that saw them trounced out at the... Oh right... All joking aside, despite failing to claim promotion in the traditional fashion and then (bizarrely) almost creating a scenario where they might not have gone up, these guys can play. They are young and only two seasons removed from being Provincial Semi-Finalists. They came to the VMSL to test themselves against the best, so as to prepare for a run at the Provincial title and that is still their ultimate goal. Regardless of how they got here, they're here and look for them to take another step forward.

8) Langley Pacific
Can't help but feel like Langley came out on the wrong end of this whole Pacific/Langley/Hurricanes/Tigers switchero. Certainly still some Premier quality out in the Valley, but they weren't exactly lighting the world on fire last season before all these changes. A late season surge was reportedly down to mostly their star players, the majority of whom are rumored to be on the Hurricanes/Tigers side of this merger. Now there's every chance I look back on this prediction and wonder just exaclty wtf was I thinking? However, as of right now, I'm not convinced.

9) Estrella de Chile
It could only be described as a disastrous campaign last season for the then Provincial Champions. While there was some clamoring about just exactly how they became Champions prior to last year, the fact is they were and the season that followed was no where near championship form. Rumours that a large U21 injection will be relied upon to right the ship going forward. It's a classic baptism by fire approach and we'll soon find out if these kids (if that is in fact the case) will sink or swim. The Chileans will no doubt still contain some star power, but nevertheless I see a relegation battle on the horizon.

10) Westside
Div 1 Champions following a 10-0 finish to their season the Vancouver lads will look to stay in the division this season and avoid yo-yoing the way they did after their last Premier foray. Have they learned from their last experience? The roster has almost entirely turned over. Are these players capable of handling a level up and a different style of play than they experienced last season? Going from a promotion fight to a relegation fight does have some similarities in that you take it one game at a time, but how will the team's psyche reacting to the losses adding up. I'll say they proved last year down the stretch that they have the mental fortitude needed to compete and stay in Premier this season, no doubt a grind to the bitter end though.

11) Columbus
Another year older with an inconsistent roster. Has their promotion allowed them to tempt anyone back into the fold? I suppose we shall soon find out. The core that wasn't good enough two seasons ago in Premier was relied upon to get them back up. Now they are two years older and it's expected to go differently? I'm not saying they don't have some quality players but unless they have done some heavy recruiting I don't see how they stay in the league. BTW is Poli still suspended for punching that kid??

12) Richmond
Well someone has to be last and I'm going to say its Hibs. Rumours of high profile exits and an aging core, combined with an uncertain goalkeeping situation are not the challenges you want to be facing heading into a top flight campaign. They had a good promotion season after they bounced back up two years ago, but last season was an unremarkable step backwards (one of only two teams to drop points to Rinos, lost to Columbus Div 1 in the cup) and based on everything I've heard there's no reason to think that the cavalry will be arriving any time soon. Obviously it has absolutely no bearing on the Winter season, but their Summer League campaign appears to have been something of a tire fire as well. Add it all up and I'll say they are propping up the table come March.

Well should be a fun year, look forward to someone explaining to me why I don't have a clue. Remember, just like Chris Kamara "I have no idea what's happening" ;)

Sep 29, 2013
Tokens
Dirty Money
It seems the in thing to do........West Van did it - now others are doing it - 2 chances to win more trophies for the trophy case...2 chances are better than 1 .
Tomorow we will see who ended up where and what team they are with........this should be interesting....----saa yall tomorow yall.........where is mr.base- ajmo na kafu kolega...

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Results:

Peg 3-2 Chile
Roving Tigers United 4-0 Inter
Metro Ford 3-1 Columbus
Pacific United LFC 2-1 Croatia
North Delta 2-1 Westside
Richmond 2-2 Trollups

Anyone go to the matches yesterday? Where did certain players land? Any standout performances?

Cheers,

Regs.

club_i_champ

Dec 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Watched the 1st half of Peg - Chile, Lenksy buried one early, but then Peg fell asleep and gave up two quick ones.

Nice opening weekend win for new boys ND and @LION. We were happy with the point after going down to 10 men with 30 to go. Before you ask, no, it wasn't me who got sent off!

Were Inter really that bad, or was Soolsma just that clinical?

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Inter was not bad. They are a great team and were a threat all game. Soolsma is a game changer and in my opinion the top player in the league he can score from a free kick 30 yards out or a breakaway beating 4 defense men if need be. The difference with this years team is we are only missing Ryan Dhillon till University season is over so with cam hundal and nick soolsma up front all season it will be tough for any defense to control them.

Were Inter really that bad, or was Soolsma just that clinical?

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ahh the thread nobody posts in, so I'm free to slog people with impunity ;)

This Week:

West Van v Westside
Westside lost a battle of promoted teams to start the season. Sure West Van sputtered in their open, but I say this one is comfortable.

Chile v Inter
By all accounts Chile impressed before finally losing to Peg while Inter was getting shellacked 4-0. I'm tempted to go with Chile here but I can't think Inter is really this poor. Let's say draw.

Rovers United v Metro Ford
Well hello MOTW. A true test for Soolsma and co. against the reigning champions. I don't think Rovers will keep a clean sheet so can Soolsma score enough to win them the game? I vote no this week.

Pacific v North Delta
North Delta beat promotion cousins in week one and I've said before I don't fancy Pacifc, irrespective of their win over Croatia. Maybe I'll have to change my tune on Pacific relatively quickly, but that will depend on if they can't prove me wrong two weeks running.

Richmond v Peg
So Richmond surprised me Week 1 by holding West Van, I doubt they'll surprise Peg though.

Columbus v Croatia
Columbus we easily swept away by Coquitlam and I see Croatia bouncing back.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

lego3

Oct 20, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
My predictions for this weekend:

West Van
v Westside

Chile v Inter

Rovers United v Metro Ford

Pacific v North Delta

Richmond v Peg

Columbus v Croatia

wednesday

Jun 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
RMD PEG 1-1 Richmond were the better team in the first half. Peg grew stronger throughout the second. Bogus second yellow shown to C-Mac for (I believe) not retreating 10 yds on a free kick. You might have forgiven the Ref had the ball been stationary when it was kicked...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0