Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[VMSL Masters 2007/08] September/October Results & Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Heard tonight that we open the season vs Sapperton @ Sapperton Park on the Sunday - good test to start the season as I think Sapperton may be one of the teams to beat this year.

Who does everyone else play?

Also heard that there are a few games scheduled in Vancouver right of the bat and the league execs were asking teams to try and find fields on their own in other areas to get the games in... we're all screwed if the strike keeps going on and we have the same weather patterns as last year!

Cheers,

~Regs.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: [VMSL Masters 2007/08] September Results & Banter

(August 30): I haven't heard of or seen any schedule yet.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin

Last night was player registration night and the execs were telling team reps who they were playing first game as they registered.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

That explains it as we are registering tonight.

Very advanced communication method, I must say.

I actually prefer clairvoyancy myself.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Clairvoyancy might actually have worked better. Woe betide those who forgot their paper clips tonight...:rolleyes:

Wazzi had his cranky pants on tonight, and from what I could see, it was mostly self-inflicted. If we have 9 directors for this league, where were the other 8 to help out with the most labour and time-intensive process of the whole year? The one-man-show wore a bit thin with those in the lineup, and I won't be surprised to see some first game defaults from those who just got fed up with waiting and left.

Latest word was that the schedule was supposed to be posted this weekend.

Trece

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Woe betide those who forgot their paper clips tonight...:rolleyes:

He has always complained about staples on forms. It makes me wonder if he has stock in a paper clip company as he always puts things about not using staples in his notices and the like. The lineup last night was pretty standard for the opening registrations. The last day of transfers in january is worse as they actualyl make all the cards you need before going on to the next person.

cerebral smallsy

Oct 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

opending day schedule:

West Van FC
Cliff Ave. United "A"
Ambleside Turf
Fri/ 8.00pm

PCOV "A"
Cracovia FC
Bby. Lake West # 2
Fri/ 8.00pm

Sapperton Rovers
Surrey United
Sapperton Park
Sun/ 10.00am

Westside FC "A"
Wickham FC
Quilchena Park
Sun/ 10.00am

Vancouver Firefighters
Coq. Metro-Ford Wolves
S. Memorial NW
Sun/ 10.00am

Columbus FC
ICSF Inter
Riverway # 4
Sun/ 10.00am

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

The WV/Cliff game is actually Friday eve at 730 on Ambleside turf.

Scottyshell

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

It'll have to be played at their park as South Memorial looks like a cow pasture....maybe a first cancelled game?? Don't know what Vancouver teams are going to do...can't be strike breakers and cut the grass...posts aren't up at most parks either....going to be a fun season!

Cheers!

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Scotty:

No posts up, but I know that the hayfield at China Creek was freshly cut yesterday. I'm taking that as a reasonably good sign that they might actually start working on stuff to get it ready...:rolleyes:

We're scheduled at Adanac against Fletch and the Stains.

Trece

cerebral smallsy

Oct 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

South Memorial NW is actually playable and there was a game of some sort being played on it last night (posts are up). NE field is a pasture. We grazed...err...trained on it last night (neighboring baseball pitch is reasonably playable for anyont interested in a game of california kickball).

westside vs. wickham appears to be have been bouncing between our home park...Quilchena, and their park...Confed turf. looks as though Quilchena is now the call. same "playable" condition as noted above i think. westside with an injection of "youth" this year to bolster the over 40 crew.

FRANCIS

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Heard a rumor that some actual Firefighters on the Firemen team may not play on Vancouver fields. Apparently, they belong to the same union as the city workers (maybe someone can confirm this). They feel that they would be crossing some sort of picket line. Will they not have driven on public roads and walked down public sidewalks to get there? What if city hall catches on fire...let it burn, now that would be funny.

If this is the case, hopefull they let everyone know their intentions as it would save alot of hassle. What does the league do if they refuse to field a team? Forfeit?

Wondering if any of the open players feel this way (assuming there are actually any Firefighters on the open team anymore)?

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Skinner and Kirincic told me if a kitten was in distress up in a tree on Clinton was the only way they'd go onto the pitch.

Niall said it had to be at least two kittens.

FRANCIS

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

I was talking to another guy who belongs to a union and he said this may only happen if the field or facility was being picketed....this seems to make more sense......kinda.

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

Who the f would picket a field. Are there union heavies watching the slides right now, telling the kids to F off. Some folk take things a tad to seriously in this province.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Who would go and cut a field when there are workers off the job on strike.

Thats what they are upset about, not kids going on the field to play, but poeple out there doing the city workies jobs.

It is serious when the city wants to contract your job out, that is the big issue right now.

hos

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Who would go and cut a field when there are workers off the job on strike.

Someone who wants their kids to play soccer and not go trekking through a jungle with machetes. Not everyone in this world is a hard core union guy nor is everyone a hard core ant-union guy. I saw an aquitance of mine cutting an unnamed field in Vancouver who is a muni worker in Richmond. He lives in Vancouver and wants his nephews to be able to play soccer and not have to wait for the city and its workers to both pull their heads out of their asses and have a little compromise and get something done. What is wrong in that?

Noone contracted out to do this work. These are people volunteering their own time to make sure they get to enjoy their kids, or their own for matter , joy when they play a little game with their friends. It's not like the city is giving these people an hourly wage to cut it for god's sake.

If the union pickets the fields i think they will have completely lost any sympathy they have with the general public and they should be wary of the position that could put them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0