Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

VMSL Masters 2005/06 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCK

May 2, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Trece Verde: Yeah, it was bloody cold training nite on Thursday. Maybe we won't be playing on Sunday...

Sir M: The Big "M" never changes. I can recall last year, I believe, I received only two yellows all year. Both from him. One was complaining about a tackle where I have the cleat mark remains and the other was being pulled down on a breakaway against Sapp...no call. All I did was look at him and out of nowhere a yellow. He has no control over the play and he continues to give unwarranted cards. He wants respect from players yet he doesn't give any to them. Figure that one out!

SCK

May 2, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Inter/F.F. Postponed

Not a surprise there. With the field frozen what do you expect?
Did the other game(Columbus/Sapp) go ahead? Hopefully the cup games went ahead so we can play next weekend against the winners.

SCK

colemanj

Oct 5, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
no such luck with us, Wickham/PAOK Cup game cancelled this morning due frozen field -- you probably have another week on the sidelines.

JAGS

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hear the VMSL Select team beat Scotland in the Finals. Not bad after a full shift at Cowboys. I am sure Sir M will have a few stories.

JAGS

SCP

Aug 22, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Final in Calgary

VMSL 7 Scotland 1 Tournament MVP Rob Zambrano
the boys did a outstanding job and it was a pleasure managing this team...tsn turning point was the team bonding at cowboys the night before the games...stay tune for Sir M's commentary...

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
It started yesterday at the press conference when Gerry Dobson called Sir M up to the podium to say a few words, but in his absence SCP had to go up and explain that the Vancouver coach could not be there because he was at the liquor store. Then a big card game that Danny made a large donation to, which degenerated into a "well, then he asked me how do you like that Bobby...so I dropped him" storytelling session with Tony Fonseca slapping his thigh and crying with laughter. Dinner then pints with the English and Scottish guys (Calgary were snuggled up in bed by now after watching 8 hrs of tapes and doing pilates) at the Irish pub, and then off to Cowboys where Bro and General Mgr SCP did some speaker dancing (Bro fell off), and home after a romantic meal by the fire in the lobby by oh, about 0330-0400. The Scottish guys thoughtfully had us given 0530 wakeup calls. Our 1st game today we were down 2-0 after about 5 minutes, but began to find our stride and ended up losing I think it was 4-2 to Scotland. Vancouverthen defeated England 3-1 in the second game and had to defeat Calgary to go to the final against Scotland who were already through after beating both Canadian sides. We came back from 2-0 at the half and after Bro did his ankle (bad), we were down to 9 with Tony F scoring with a left footed thunderbolt with 25 seconds left, to go through. We were on fire in the final, (Rob Z was on fire in all games) despite only being allowed to use 9 players, with Sal, Sarge (2 each) Danny, Frank C and Ryan scoring. A deserved win for the selects, not good for WVPeg as they will be without Clark and Ryan for some time now...at least we have Besty...NOT!

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well done guys! Sounds like a wild road trip. Any talk of repeat show next year (read: was it profitable/worthwhile)?

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Peter my guess is the promoter lost money, and I do not think the pros from overseas could have been too happy about getting beaten like that. Having said that, the promoter was already talking about next year after the Sunday games, but may change the eligibility etc...(see my post in the special events thread)...he seems pretty keen on this, and is probably looking long term success I would imagine. They just need to start promoting it a lot earlier, with better dates...for example they came up with the two kids get in free idea two days before the Vancouver date. It is quite exciting to watch though.

Of course, I think Dr. Phil is pretty exciting to watch too, so take my opinion for what it is worth. ( I also think Stevie Nicks is hot by the way)...:wa:

(PS moment of the weekend was when JC and Bobby Roselund got assigned seats next to each other on the plane to Calgary)...

Cheers.

colemanj

Oct 5, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I feel for the overseas Masters, who wants to play for fun against 31 year-olds -- that's just work. Sounds like the olde English players needed a little more time on the ball - and, as a fan, I sure would have been disappointed if one of my heros had come to town and been marked out of the game by a 31 year old.

Promotion really has to be grassroots on an event like this, nobody is going to knock down the doors to see Masters play. At the World Masters there was some great soccer (especially by the Vancouver/Victoria contingent), but really no spectators other than players and family. Clubs and sponsors have to have time to generate a bit of interest, and the organizers have to have time to target the right media players. It is great to have an ad in the local papers, but really, if they have more than a column devoted to a Champion's league update we are lucky -- nobody goes there for soccer information anymore. (Remember when they used to run the local Premier League venues/times - those were the days.)

On a more important note, the loss of Brolly will sure start to hurt in a week or two, but did you lose Ryan to a server at Cowboys, or was he a soccer injury too?

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think there were definitely some guys there who came out to see the imports. I was sitting right beside a bunch of chanters/hecklers (one Macelvenie, there's only one Macelvenie <sp?>) and Frankie responded with some antics...but I would have to agree with you Coleman regarding the youngsters out there for Calgary. The rules should be that you had to have been taught to play a 2:3:5 formation to be eligible.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The rules should be that you had to have been taught to play a 2:3:5 formation to be eligible.

Right, that's it then. I've got a whole load of true Masters who would be eligible on that basis. Colemanj is just one of them; we still play that way every Saturday...:D

Don't know if I really needed to have the frightening image of Bro and SCP speaker dancing going on in my head - that's one you should REALLY have left on the road, Mike.:eek: :p

More cup games next week...

Trece

SCP

Aug 22, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Master's A Cup Game
PCOV 8 Cracovia 1

Fonseca started the goal scoring by undressing two defenders which they are still looking for their shorts at the park...cold evening but once we nodded the 2nd goal they simply gave up after that...

Fonseca 1
Martins 2
Meca 3
Lapa 2

we now wait for the winner of Columbus/Lusitanos.....

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
SCP said:
Master's A Cup Game
PCOV 8 Cracovia 1

Fonseca started the goal scoring by undressing two defenders which they are still looking for their shorts at the park...cold evening but once we nodded the 2nd goal they simply gave up after that...

Fonseca 1
Martins 2
Meca 3
Lapa 2

we now wait for the winner of Columbus/Lusitanos.....

Too bad Columbus will beat up on Lusitanos, the all Portugese matchup would have been a fun one.

All Tony needed was some proper coaching. ;) Good to see you back at home a couple hours earlier than last weekend SCP,,,:)

SCK

May 2, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Inter 1 Firemen 0

Tough game played at Hastings Bowl this morning. Full credit to them for hanging in there after they went down to ten men after Fiddler told the ref where to go. A little harsh I would say but it could have gone either way. We scored on a set piece after a flagrant foul. One of many on the day. However, you couldn't tell they were one man down since they took much of play to try and equallize. We could have put things away in the second but... On to league cup play next week against Richmond.

SCK

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Alemania 4 Spurs 0 on the shite pit up in the top corner at Adanac...

Same doofus of a ref as last weekend - he's really getting to like us (both teams) as he handed out at least 6 yellows (and no reds).:rolleyes:

Play of the game was by the dog who trotted out just before the 2nd half kickoff and took a dump on the field in front of their net....:rolleyes: Same story for our sad lot - chances, but no finish, and just not enough bodies. I'm not sure how many games we've had to start this year with 9 or 10 players from a roster of 20.:mad:

Finished our game and both teams settled with (carbonated hop-based beverages) in on the hill to watch an embarrassing mess between 22nd Ave and Shaheen. It took 13 rounds:eek: of penalties to decide this one, and Shaheen came out on top. No Tee in sight....We just about wore out our vocal chords razzing the shooters with so many of them.

In any case, it gave us enough time to stockpile a righteous quantity of smokies on the BBQ which were then devoured with gusto, along with more (carbonated hop-based beverages).

geegered,

Trece

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0