Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 1 [VMSL DIV 1] Predictions, Results and Banter 2015/2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stringer

Nov 18, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Was Guilford even in contention? They definitely didn't look desperate. ND played a good game and had some quality chances, just couldn't finish. The linesman certainly didn't help with his horrible offside calls. At least 2-3 times Delta woulda had breakaways but were called back for phantom offsides.

And oh yeah, that Guildford coach who is suspended might be one of the most annoying in the league, definite sore loser

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
This season has had some of the best quality of football from very good teams in Div 1 the level has improved
Good luck to the teams going up to prem

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was at Empire as well on Saturday and it was wonderful to see such a great atmosphere for an amateur soccer match. I would estimate there was close to 100 people there (I did a rough scan and tallied around eighty part way through the first half and the crowd seemed to swell before the end).

@Dancin Bear summed things up fairly well. The Columbus goal to open things was certainly a strange one. It began with 3 or 4 muffed clearances from Westside then a mishit cross that squibbed directly to a wide open Columbus lad 10 yards out. Had to like the Westside response though, they probably had the better of it for the opening 20 prior to the goal and the heads didn't go down when they conceded. Columbus got their tales up after they scored and looked like getting a second for 10 minutes or so and that likely would have salted it away. Westside though wrestled control back and, as mentioned, scored a well worked and well deserved equilizer about 5 minutes ahead of the half.

To be honest, scoring first may have been detrimental to Columbus psycologically. They knew a draw guaranteed promotion and with Westside needing a pair of goals to spoil their party it may have been tempting to just sit in and wait for openings as the game became inevitably stretched. Westside, for their part, came with one mindset: win the game, and it showed in their approach. When the winner came from the corner it seemed justified, a draw felt like it would have been harsh. Columbus had some chances once they pushed the panic button down 2-1, but the Westside keeper was inspired when called upon. The referee kept things interesting with a string of Columbus FKs and 7 mins of added time. This was mostly due to an unfortunate injury to the Columbus CB to what appeared to be a knee/ankle. The defender jumped unmarked to try and cut out a through ball and was instantly in serious discomfort, hope he makes a full recovery.

The Italians were pretty dejected following the match, assuming they had no chance at promotion. I would have been inclined to agree with them. Definitly would not have predicted a 0-0 at Delsom, maybe a scoring draw but 0-0 caught me by surprise.

Overall an etertaining end to what was a remarkable Div 1 season. Can only hope this sets the standard for Div 1 going forwards (or are we just calling it Div Rinos??;))

Stringer

Nov 18, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can't believe in a game that means everything for both teams didn't produce one goal. I hope both teams were atleast playing rush goalie all second half.

Guildford seemed content with a tie. There was no heart or desire. ND definitely tried throwing everything at net though, looked like a team desperate to win, had a couple glorious chances they should've capitalised on

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Speaking of Guildford, I see they agreed to a 0-0 instead of playing their last match with Romania (or had it imposed on them by the league given it no longer has any bearing on the league table).

I assume this still counts as the 5th game of their "yellin" coach's suspension and that he will be eligible to return next season? I suppose the question is will they be able to keep their group together for another serious promotion push a la Ayjal Tigers? Or will they go the way of AC Campobasso, Shaheen etc. who all came up with a scortching Div 2 pedigree, but never truly threatened promotion again after their initial season in the league, ultimately returning to Div 2.

Once more Div 1 has proved impossible to simply springboard through and attain back to back promotion. Perhaps Campo will prove it can be done next season...and cue @Soccer Coach and a true underdog story ;)

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
If my memory serves, AC/NVFC/FC Campobasso never even came close to the top half of the Div 1 table. They barely survived year 1, and then were relegated in year 2.

Shaheen however were definitely contenders when they had the full Iran Nations Cup team.

Prior to them, the last team I can recall rolling through Div 2 and then having immediate success in Div 1 was Punjab Hurricanes.

Daft_Hunka

Dec 17, 2014
Tokens
Dirty Money
NK Hrvat was a decent side about 5-6 seasons ago...and the obvious one from that era that comes to mind is Chile, which has now become an established premier side.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
NK Hrvat was a decent side about 5-6 seasons ago...and the obvious one from that era that comes to mind is Chile, which has now become an established premier side.

Chile never won Div2. They bought their Div1 spot from AFC Leopards.

NK Hrvat hung around for a few years in Div1, but I don't recall them ever finishing above midtable.

big gk

Oct 28, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Div 1 is deadly competitive since the merger to only 1 group. It has very good parity and their is no free points. Div 2 might still have a few easy games. But I think the vmsl has done good on what they have created with the div 1 structure. QUOTE="dezza, post: 396861, member: 2624"]Chile never won Div2. They bought their Div1 spot from AFC Leopards.

NK Hrvat hung around for a few years in Div1, but I don't recall them ever finishing above midtable.[/QUOTE]
Chile never won Div2. They bought their Div1 spot from AFC Leopards.

NK Hrvat hung around for a few years in Div1, but I don't recall them ever finishing above midtable.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm reaching way back into the old memory banks but I think Pacific 96's(Clan Alumni) did in the mid 2000's to go from Div2 to Prem. And then relegated to Div1 the following year only to merge with AC Milan to form Columbus. I'm getting old. hahahaha

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm reaching way back into the old memory banks but I think Pacific 96's(Clan Alumni) did in the mid 2000's to go from Div2 to Prem. And then relegated to Div1 the following year only to merge with AC Milan to form Columbus. I'm getting old. hahahaha
I remember playing against them in Div 1 but didn't think they had come up from Div 2. Ivor, Mori brothers, Merkl in net I think. And what's his donkey who is now in Calgary...Sneddon! They were an extremely stoned team.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't think there was a connection between that crew and Clan Alumni though... I do remember the 'merger' between Clan and Columbus...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0