Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 1 [VMSL DIV 1] Predictions, Results and Banter 2015/2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
That player should be banned from playing VMSL

I would imagine depending on the report it will be a lengthy suspension. I don't necessarlily feel a life-time banning is in order depending on past history. In the heat of things people make decisions that may be out of character. As Ricky G said this isn't a case of boys will be boys and we do have to be accountable for our actions. So I don't really know what punishment fits as I've never witnessed a incident like this.

I dont know if guys just weren't aware of the damage or what but for me as much as the incident was awful people's view of it after bothered me just as much. I'd hope after reflection everyone involved would act differently as I imagine they probably would. Just kind of ruined what was an important very competitive game. Time to move forward as we have an even bigger game this weekend.

Blue and White Army

Dec 5, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
We had a game several years ago where a steroid monkey, who was already tossed from the game and on the sidelines, ran 100 yards onto the field when a skirmish broke out, and drove his head into our players temple knocking him out and sending him to hospital. I called the cops and followed the player off the park as he tried to flee. Cops came, took statements etc. Our player tried to press charges and the details are escaping me but it was almost impossible to get a charge to stick. He dropped it. It was a bunch of Alemania guys.

There's aggro in the Masters O-40 lower division? Or were they in the open divisions back then?

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
The soccer god has predicted - Westside and Columbus 1/2, and North Delta / Guilford tie tie or win lose, lose win

Actually if your 2nd scenario of Guildford/ND splitting the games happens, & Guildford also beat Romania they will be promoted. It will put them on 48 pts and the possible outcomes for Westside & Columbus are:

CLB - 50 / WS - 46
CLB - 48 / WS - 47
CLB - 47 / WS - 46

In all 3 scenarios Guildford Finish at worst in 2nd place.

I think the favourites for promotion are Columbus (just need a tie vs Westside) and Guildford (Should win vs Romania & then need to win 1 of 2 vs ND)

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
The permutaions are all over the board. The one intruiging thing is that of course everyone is assuming Guilford will pick up the 3 pts vs. Romania, as they likely should, ESPECIALLY given that Romania are no longer in a fight for their lives. Consider however, I believe they are only playing 45 mins and the score is 0-0?? PLUS rosters must remain intact from when the game was originally played in January, yes??

Of course even with these factors Guilford is likely to find a goal. Romania, though, only need to hold on for 45 mins to really fcuk Guilford over. How motivated they will be on a weeknight with nothing but spoilers to play remains to be seen. Still, a potential twist in the tale.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
4 games $40 not enough for a punch

I suppose we do have to qualify it as an "alleged" punch. Even though the jury of public opinion has weighed in and certainly the evidence seems damning given the ND players tooth damage and the eye witness accounts reported here, I guess it really all comes down to the officials and their report of the incident to the league.

Stringer

Nov 18, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I suppose we do have to qualify it as an "alleged" punch. Even though the jury of public opinion has weighed in and certainly the evidence seems damning given the ND players tooth damage and the eye witness accounts reported here, I guess it really all comes down to the officials and their report of the incident to the league.

The official that reffed that game said it was "absolutely disgusting" and he should be banned for a long time to what Poli did. Im sure his report reflected that as well.

I think its down to the league going light on a well known player with connections to the Whitecaps

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
The official that reffed that game said it was "absolutely disgusting" and he should be banned for a long time to what Poli did. Im sure his report reflected that as well.

I think its down to the league going light on a well known player with connections to the Whitecaps

I think if you look at the league's (and even the province's) suspension history you will see that violent conduct towards another player rarely receives more than 5 games. It's only when a player attacks a referee physically or even verbally that the large suspensions seem to get levied.

lego3

Oct 20, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
This stupid ginger fcuk should be banned from BC soccer and fired from whitecaps. If you ask me that was an assault and he committed a crime, whats the difference between a sucker punch on the field or a sucker punch at the bar?? No difference if you ask me. A punch is a punch and he should be charged with an assault. Guys like that ruin the fun atmosphere, I get that it is competitive soccer but there is no reason for anyone to put someone in the hospital. Its not the first time that this ginger fcuk has sucker punched someone in the face.

I hope the guy recovers quick and I wish you all the best for promotion hunt.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
I fully agree with you. There is a difference between playing hard and assaulting an individual. I literally have seen almost every second week some sort of assault on the field (i.e. many times watching other teams play). It has to stop, and it will only stop until we put pressure on the league and the authorities to do something. For me the major dissapoitment was when we brought the to the attention the assault that Milad Rahamatti did on our players. I brought the issue to the VMSL with evidence and they simply washed it away. Thus, it is really up to us to make people aware and BC soccer and the authorities of what is going on. Out of curiosity what is the name of the player who hit the guy? what is the connection to the whitecaps? do you know guys that it is not up to the person that was assaulted to press charges? anyone can go to the police and report to the events. that issue that it is to the person to press charges is only on the movies. I am at the point of making an initiative where the league takes this assaults seriously. otherwise, i myself will go and report them until they stop. it was really not fun to see my player punched in the face and the league not doing anything. this is not right and it is not good for the league or the game.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Okey. Thanks. I do not think that the media, the whitecaps, and the public are going to be happy when they become aware that they are paying someone that engages in this types of behaviour. they have a duty to the public to hold high standards of behaviour and can not get away with this.

Stringer

Nov 18, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
That suspension is an absolute disgrace and a slap in the face to the kid who got sucker punched.

I've seen players banned for a full year for playing illegally under another name but something that actually causes harm to another human being intentionally only gets 4 games?!?! What a joke

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
I thought that this day would never come, but I do fully agree with you Stringer.... I do fully agree... and the worst is that he is getting it way with it because he works for the Whitecaps.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
OK before I get into this I want to state unequivocally that I am 100% against sports being a blank cheque for assault.

In the same breath I am worried we are on a slippery slope here. We live in a very litigious society (maybe not as extensively as our neighbours to the south but still) and we are quick to suggest that these incidents should be escalated to a court of law. My question is: to what end? What are you hoping to achieve with these actions?

Sure we want to keep our sport safe and fun and inclusive, but are lawsuits that take years and thousands of dollars to resolve really the best way to do that?

Can you blame the police and the crown for not taking interest in these incidents? @Soccer Coach provided us the definition of assault in another thread here and @dezza was quick to point out, and rightly so, that the definition of assault is different when you voluntarily enter into an environment such as sports. There is a certain amount of inherent risk assumed by each individual who plays. Remember now that the burden of proof required for a criminal conviction is "beyond a reasonable doubt.". So do we really believe we can prove to a court of law and a jury of 12 that these incidents occur with intent and malice " beyond a reasonable doubt?"

Take the Poli incident. As far as I know there is no video evidence of the "assault.". So it all comes down to eye witness accounts. It seems unlikely that the crown would see a realistic opportunity to achieve a conviction with only this evidence that can easily be refuted or dismissed as unreliable or biased.

Thus that leaves us with civil suits. So are we going to go around suing each other every time someone puts in a bad tackle? Or emotions run high and there's a physical confrontation? Bearing in mind that the burden of proof is still that these incidents occurred with intent and malice on "the balance of probability" and caused damages to the victim of a monetary nature.

Sorry for the rant but I just see this sort of rhetoric spiralling out of control. Nobody wants to see people hurt needlessly playing the game we love for fun on a Sunday afternoon, but honestly are the courts the best way to ensure this? Personally I do not believe so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0