Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vancouver Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I beg to differ

Mackers,

The Caps can't beat Hershey. They shut down the outside threat from Sulentic and Kindel (the guy who marked Kindel out of the game scored their third goal on a brilliant run) all night long and outnumbered the Caps all over the field through superior speed and smarts; Vancouver never quite figured out that (if he's fast and determined, like Hershey were) the first guy you beat is going to get goalside on you again if you try to take on the next two who are waiting.

Their two center backs were tough and fast and dominant in the air. Tilley was the only guy winning the odd head ball, but his flick-ons were run down by (usually) at least two other defenders or the keeper.

The biggest gaffe of the night was going to three in the back and putting Nico Berg in the middle. He was two steps slower than Hershey's slowest guy and even when he did get to the ball he lacked the confidence to distribute effectively. He got stuffed for a breakaway on one occasion that drained what little confidence Didar had right out of him.

I read in the Province about the little guy who set up the third goal and bagged the fourth on a breakaway from his side of center. I guess Mitchell thought his stats were a blip in the league this year. Vancouver's answer: move the only guy who could keep up (Franks) to a more attacking position and leave the middle of your defense exposed.

No, I don't think they are going to beat Hershey with their current squad and, although I've heard that they all got on the plane this morning (minus Skinner who is injured) the brass had to have had at least a passing thought of forfeiting the game, paying the league fine and saving the 25K or so it's going to cost them to get to Pennsylvania and back.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
ouch

Talk about taking the piss...

Noon hour news showed a post-game interview with Kevin Holness with the caption along the lines of all the cliches known to man as he rattled off about 12 of them in a row :D

~TB.

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
the final

Regs,

What do you think about how the league decides who will host the final? How and why wouldn't the host have more than a week to promote hosting such an event? I realize that the league is trying to give it to a city that is playing late into the year but this seems like a marketing nightmare!

John

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Actually I wouldn't think it would be much of a problem. It's not like they would be trying to fill a stadium the size of BC Place :D

That being said, it is rather a bizarre way to have a final.

~TB.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well, the 'Caps won 1-0. Not enough to advance, but at least they closed the year on a win -- if you can call that a plus.

On the bright side, Westside'll have the use of Ollie sooner than originally hoped.

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good news for the Whitecaps!

JJ couldn't make the cut in the MLS and will be rejoining the team. Now if Johnny Sulentic returns from his trial with the Croatian Champions, the Whitecaps will be all right...

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
According to the Team 1040, Johnny S. was listed as AWOL from training today and may not be welcomed back to the team should he fail his try-out.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
CDK, indulge us...

Why would Johnny S. take-off for a try out without telling the team he is currently signed for? Is he that confident?

Didn't he go over for a try-out a couple of years ago too? He didn't say much in the press, except for, "It didn't work out, and I'm dissapointed with how it went". Or something to that nature.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Whitecaps spokesman Colin Metcalfe said it was a "huge honour" for the Whitecaps to have their anthem re-recorded by the Proclaimers.

Isn't this the guy that was fighting for beach volleyball courts in some busses in Vancouver a couple of months ago?

Furthermore, has the immortal Alan Douglas been let go from the Caps? I thought he was their mouthpiece for these kinds of things?

~TB.

Gaffa

Jul 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yep thats him I think...

He's the fella behind the Vancouver Field Sports Coalition thingy. He's worked on and off with the 'Caps for a while I think...nice fella. Very motivated to get in the face of the Parks board and get more field turf pitches in Vancouver as well better grass surfaces. I've often wondered why he isn't a regular on here as its right up his alley from the 'political point of view. I suspect that as a representative of the Caps he's a little weary. He could probably drum up quite a bit of support for his/our cause. One thing I will say for him is that he has got of his arse and tried to do some good for field sports in our lovely town. He plays in the West Coast over 30's league for Eastside Bulldogs, or at least he did last season...I think they are in the lowest division in that league. Rumour has it that he actually got Bob L to do a couple of training sessions for 'em this year...I suspect they're in the same division for next year;)

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks Gaffa.

I remember him now... he was once running for vancouver council a few years ago I think and wanted to post a bunch of things on a site that is now dead and should stay that way :rolleyes:

I remember that he was informed that said site was not a political platform but would be happy to post what he would like to say as long as his oppenent running posted a rebuttal of sorts as well.

He didn't like that too much as I recall and was never to be heard from since.

Maybe that's why he doesn't post here? :rolleyes:

~TBrunningforheadpositioninthegestapo.

the insider

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Colin also ran for a seat (as NPA) on the Vancouver Parks Board in the last municipal election. He ran exclusively on a getting better playing fields. He only missed getting on by a few votes. If I recall he came 9th and the top eight vote getters were elected.

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ahem

That's the Westside Bulldogs as of last year...they gained promotion from the 3rd to 2nd division in the WCOTL. Colin's a great guy who has a PR firm the WhiteCaps use.

Gaffa

Jul 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I wasn't far off then...

Pete,

Thanks for putting me straight. As I said, he's a nice fella.

For a Leeds fan.;)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I used to play with the Bulldogs in the summers, with a bunch of guys from Romania. I still keep in touch w/ him from time to time. He still runs the Bulldogs- originally named after the since closed downtown pub. The owner of that place- Ray- was a fcuking loser!

I’m surprised he hasn’t surfaced here. He’s a political hound!

He was the director of media relations for the Lions / 86ers for a year, then I think pissed off Greg Mohns, and was canned. He would be very good to the soccer community if he were to get elected to the Parks board. I remember his loss was fairly narrow...a Green party member got the last seat if I recall correctly.

Funny story: we’re playing in the Burnaby tourney (Men’s B), and Colin asks my wife to hold his cell while we play. At half, both teams go to the bleachers, which are located right next to each other. My wife calls out to him and says, “Colin- Bob Lenarduzzi called, and said he couldn’t make it later today, but Carl Valentine would be coming in his place.” All of the guys from this Maple Ridge team we were playing look at him like “Who the fcuk are you?” (I guess they had some sort of promo event for that day).

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bulldog...

I finally agree with something Dudeshitehandle says. Today is a red letter day. That Ray fella came out and trained with the 'lomas during my brief tenure at the famous old club and, nevermind the fact he was mince, he was, I seem to remember, wearing pink football socks.

Of course the 'lomas management were very keen to sign him that day, shrewd observers of the beautiful game that they were at that time.

Where do such people come from?

Quality piece of pedantry from el Gaffa....
I suspect that as a representative of the Caps he's a little weary.
I'm sure you meant 'leery' but I prefer this Fraudian slip. You're probably bang on on both counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0