Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vancouver Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
not only that but...

I think I read somewhere that there are no portable biffy's in the beer gardens as well. Why is this a problem? Because apparently there is a ridiculously low amount of people allowed into the gardens and once you leave them, you can't get back in.

From what I gather, this is a Burnaby Parks Board decision, not the Caps. Come to think of it, I bet Cocco had something to do with it. Or TR.

~TB.

the insider

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
biffys

There were no Johnny's in the south end zone for the first few games but there are two there now. Still isn't enough because the line up takes forever. Two weeks ago I saw a guy piss in a cup while in line because he couldn't hold it any longer.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Two weeks ago I saw a guy piss in a cup while in line because he couldn't hold it any longer.

Now thats just wrong. Seeing as how I sit so high up in the grand scheme of things here at the City of Burnaby. I will get you guys more Jiffy Johns at Swanguard.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Running Out of Numbers

I know this subject was talked about before with the retirment of Domo's #10 jersey, but now they are retiring Stevie Mac's #5 jersey on Friday Night.
Does this mean that no other player in a 86er/Whitecap jersey can have one of these numbers on the back?
Or is this just a tribute to these faded stars?

What about retiring Dolon's #1, or even better Doddy's or Jenky's #'s, they are good local boys?

I can see it now, The Retirment of Ivor Evens #, but he snaps during the ceremony kicks the corner flag then chases Bobby around Swangard, I would pay to see that.

Mrs. Flying HOS

the insider

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Running out of numbers

Didn't they retire a number (?) for Carl Valentine? And what about Dale Mitchell?

All those numbers must only apply to the 86ers jerseys.

You could probably nominate several more that at least deserve consideration.

A full list of everyone who ever played for the Whitecaps is available here:

http://home.att.net/~nasl/rosters/whitecaps.htm

There is also a list for the Vancouver Royal Canadians (1967-68)

http://home.att.net/~nasl/rosters/royals.htm

The most interesting player in my mind is Scottish International Jim Baxter, who played here in 1967 with Sunderland (when they represented the Vancouver Royal Canadians in one of the forerunner leagues to the NASL, the United Soccer Association.)
He died earlier this year. He is best known for megging several England players during Scotland's famous 3-2 victory over the reigning World Cup winners the very same year he came to Vancouver.

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think Jimmy Baxter is more famous/infamous for having played pissed most of the time, as well as, having two liver transplants. Ah, the good auld days.;)

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain

What about Captain Shamrock? Did they ever retire his number with the 86ers?

I don't get this retiring numbers stuff. Why do they do it so soon? Correct me if I'm wrong but why would the Vancouver Whitecaps be retiring Smack's number since he never wore a Whitecaps jersey? For that matter, I don't think Dom ever did either, not that they are not deserving of some sort of tribute...

Too many of these retired numbers will make less of the honour one would think.

~TB.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
away from the homosexuality....

Do you not think that retiring a footballer's number, particularly a footballer who played in his 'heyday' for a 'pro' team in Vancouver, is all a bit, well, gay? What other country in the world does such a thing? One. And they're fcuking yanks anyway so they don't count in footballing terms do they? What next? National anthems before every bloody league fixture and cheerleaders of questionable pedigree prancing about with their not unsubstantial bellies hanging out all over the shop? Oh. Right. They do that too.

I'll get my coat.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sexual Preference

What does someone's sexual orientation have to do with the retiring of jersey numbers?

The people that are running the "pro" soccer team in this city are uneducated and ignorant in the way they do run the team, but to say they do things in a happy or gay way is not correct.

If sexuality is in question, then we should find out how many gay football clubs there are here compared to Britian.
I don't think any of the players that have had their numbers retired fancy other guys (I have seen Domo and Mac at the Roxy with the Ladies).

Next week the Whitrecaps could mabey retire Justin Fashinos(sp.) number however. He has played against Vancouver before and this would get the gay community involved with the caps.

Tighter shorts to be given out for that game.

MAJOR;)

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The people that are running the "pro" soccer team in this city are uneducated and ignorant in the way they do run the team

How could you say that when the team's attendence is way up, and they are making money for the first time in years?:confused:

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What Attendance

Yippee, TR

So they are getting an attendance of 6 grand or so a game.
There are almost 2 million people living in and around the Vancouver area. With 10's of thousands of these peoples children playing soccer locally. There are also all the senior soccer players that are in the lower mainland.

But the Caps managment can only 6 grand at games because they do things like not having porta-poties in the Beer Garden, or paying local kids next to nothing to play, so that the caliber of the soccer is not much better than what you can see locally on weekends.

Maybe the pro-wave system will do well enough to increase attendance, at the same time screwing all the local youth clubs when the best players leave.

MAJOR:mad:

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Then I Must Be "Gay"

So sorry, I allways take things so literally.

fastSHOW your point is well taken, but how often does someone get to talk about Justin Fashino.

MAJOR:eek:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No more Fash bashing

Hands of Stone,

Justin Fashanu is brown bread now and I am sure he doesn't appreciate you mocking at this stage of his 'life'........We'll discuss this on Sunday, maybe Saturday....

Regs,

Lenarduzzi told me that my jersey would be retired one day. However, it looks like this has turned out to be one more of his blatant lies. Bastage. The yellow and blue number 2 jersey, that resembles most Sunday morning Surrey League jerseys, hangs in the rafters back and Father and Mother Shamrock. As far as I am concerned it has been retired.

Domo and Smack were very loyal for a lot of years and deserve something, but I don't think a jersey retirement is the answer. Perhaps a reunion with all the birds they pulled during their days with the 86ers. That would be fun for them, I am sure.

Captain

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
liberal at heart...

HOS, Please don't think for a minute think I've got anything against gays becuase I knew one once and he seemed a decent enough fella who ran a very successful daycare, if memory serves. Being a bit of a footballing traditionalist I just think retiring jerseys in football is a naff idea and far too Americanised to be of any great use. What does a kid playing in a North Delta house league have to aspire to if he can't one day dream of making the prestigious Whitecap's number 10 jersey his own if it's been retired? If they start that bollocks the only squad numbers left will be the ones I'm used to wearing on the bench. And in terms of PR, that's a bit of an own goal.

As Regs pointed out, the guys in question didn't even play for the Whitecaps so it's all a waste of time.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Last game

Is anyone watching tonite's game on the net?

http://www.seattlesounders.tv

Surprisingly the image quality is pretty good and other than having to listen to the yank announcers, the audio is spot on.

Even more surprising is seeing Steve London between the pipes.

~TB.

mackers

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hershey 4 - 0 Caps

For once the beer in the 'Gardens was better than the game on the pitch.

The Caps looked absolutely fcuking brutal last night. Dale was quoted as saying that Hershey was the best team he has seen this year, but they did not look that great. It was the Caps that blew the game yesterday. They couldn't keep posession if their lives depended on it and every time our defenders got the ball they just wellied it up the park, especially Franksy.

Hershey's goalie was decent, making one good stop and a couple good plays but other than that he didn't have much to do.

If they play like they can I know they could beat that team but 5 goals??? I don't know
:confused:

Cheers, Mackers.

PS. The beer was better than the game but it's still shite :mad:

the insider

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
...and what a difference two extra johns make for the beer garden line-ups!!! How many games did it take for them to finally do it right?!?!

What a crap effort by the players though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0