Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Top TTP Stock Portfolio

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I wonder if anyone had a good day today?

I'd say whoever was buying when everyone was selling a few days ago had a very good day! My guess is more volatility next week though, when they start their profit taking.

I missed out on some great buying opportunites earlier this week. :(

Everything looked green today. Yoda...enjoy your headstart...while it lasts!

Yoda +2.59%
Dial -4.54%
Dial #2 -7.11%
JBN -7.5%
Stallion -20.31%

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From my broker just minutes ago:

What a tiring weak…Smile…DR

-Toronto stocks surge on financial rescue plans

Friday, September 19, 2008 2:37:36 PM (GMT-07:00)
Provided by: Reuters News

* TSX benchmark index surges more than 7 pct higher
* Financials climb on news of U.S. rescue plans
* Energy issues rise as oil rebounds above $100 a barrel

(Adds details, background)
By Cameron French
TORONTO, Sept 19 (Reuters) - The Toronto Stock Exchange's main index soared to its biggest percentage gain since 1987 on Friday, as a series of U.S.-led moves to shore up the global financial system sparked a resource-led rally across all sectors.

The second-straight day of strong gains for the index came as global markets rallied on the U.S. plan to take over hundreds of billions of dollars worth of toxic mortgage debt, and slap a temporary ban on short-selling.
The energy and materials sectors led the way with gains of 8.9 percent and 9.6 percent, as oil charged above $100, while extra liquidity in the markets helped mining stocks rebound from their sharp declines of the past week.
"You only get days like this once in a blue moon," said Paul Hand, managing director at RBC Capital Markets.

"It's so sweeping, not just the market action, but the unprecedented number of initiatives with respect to market activity. It's unbelievable."

The S&P/TSX composite index <.GSPTSE> rose 848.42 points, or 7.03 percent, to finish at its session-high of 12,912.99, marking its largest one-day percentage gain since the aftermath of the October 1987 stock market crash. It was the market's biggest one-day points gain.

Among energy stocks, Suncor Energy <SU.TO> rose 14.3 percent to C$52.00, while Canadian Natural Resources <CNQ.TO> gained 11.9 percent to C$87.3.

Leading the way among mining issues was Lundin Mining <LUN.TO>, which rose 16.4 percent to C$3.90, and Barrick Gold <ABX.TO>, which charged ahead 12.3 percent to C$36.50 as gold prices rose above $870 an ounce.
The U.S. moves, which followed a co-ordinated efforts by central banks on Thursday to inject billions into the financial system, sent the previously underperforming financials sector up 5.7 percent to its highest level in three months.

Toronto-Dominion Bank <TD.TO> leapt 9.6 percent to C$64.94, while insurer Great-West Lifeco climbed 10.2 percent to C$35.29.
"It would certainly seem as though the events of the last two weeks have marked a watershed in terms of the willingness of the authorities to step in and prevent systemic risk to the system," said Gavin Graham, chief investment officer at Guardian Group of Funds.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper said the Canadian government was not considering a bailout plan for the country's banks, which are in good shape despite the financial crisis in the United States.

Nor was there an announcement by Canadian regulators to curb short-selling, the practice of borrowing a stock on a bet that its price will fall.

Analysts said that while the one-day rally may have gone too far, they said the market has likely hit bottom.

"I think there are a few hiccups here to come, so we're probably a little ahead of it today, but they have probably put a floor under it for several months," said Hand.

The TSX's strong proportion of resource stocks allowed it to outpace U.S. markets.

The Dow Jones industrial average <.DJI> jumped 368.75 points, or 3.35 percent, to 11,388.44, while the tech-heavy Nasdaq composite index <.IXIC> rose 74.80 points, or 3.4 percent, to 2,273,90.

In Toronto, the blue-chip S&P/TSX 60 index <.TSE60> closed 54.44 points higher, or 7.5 percent, at 776.87.

Market volume was a heavy 831 million shares worth C$17.9 billion. Advancing issues outpaced decliners 1,214 to 409.
($1=$1.04 Canadian)

Daniel Robinson, BA Econ., CIM, Options Licensed
Investment Advisor / Ass't Branch Manager
Wolverton Securities Ltd.,
17th Floor - 777 Dunsmuir St.,
Vancouver, BC V7Y 1J5.
604-662-5276 Direct
604-662-5205 Fax
daniel@wolverton.ca

For sure many in the game locally had a great day today.

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I LOVE the move to prohibit short selling. If you do not like a stock, do not buy it, but do not cause downward pressure on it by shorting it.

Many investors who do not have time to keep an eye on all their stocks, have, as Reccos noted a while back, their "stop losses" triggered when their stock drops a certain percent.

If you have guys shorting the crap out of a stock thus gobbling up all the lower bids, "stop losses" are triggered creating a snowball effect. A stock could drop 10-15% in a day for no valid reason.

If Exchanges want to lose a lot of their volatility and protect the share price of their member companies that trade on them, banning shorting would be a great start.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
:(

Everything looked green today. Yoda...enjoy your headstart...while it lasts!

Yoda +2.59%
Dial -4.54%
Dial #2 -7.11%
JBN -7.5%
Stallion -20.31%

I will. I was being very conservative with my picks and stayed away from the ones that had really huge drops. The guilt got to me i guess.

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dial 911

Shorting is an intrical part of a free market enterprise system. It is what makes a "market".

Today's market activity was not a true reflection of market values, rather they are inflated due to the short squeeze.

Dont get me wrong - i love today's price action but its not a true and real market when the "other side of the trade" is not on a level playing field.

Sandman

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dial 911

Shorting is an intrical part of a free market enterprise system. It is what makes a "market".

Today's market activity was not a true reflection of market values, rather they are inflated due to the short squeeze.

Dont get me wrong - i love today's price action but its not a true and real market when the "other side of the trade" is not on a level playing field.

Sandman

Intrical part of the free market enterprise system? Sandman, you are starting to sound like Dude!:D

I agree with the theory of shorting--you are speculating that a stock's price will drop. My concern, is that shorting and especially naked shorting has become more manipulation than speculation. Companies' market worth are sometimes decimated for no other reason than (naked) shorting.

I agree that today's action is inflated and what will inevitably happen when the shorting "ban" is lifted, is that stocks will likely be seen as overpriced causing the shorters to "speculate" that the prices will drop. We'll be right back where we started.

Then again, if the shorters now find themselves in an environment where prices have suddenly risen 5-15% and need to cover their shorts...it could increase prices even more, short term.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Naked shorting is illegal but catching these guys is always a challenge.

I have reported trading on the TSX Venture to Market Regulation Services a few times now, but nothing ever happens even in one case one insider sold into every great news release just to liquidate his position of some 10 million shares which was 10% of the float. He drove down the share price of his other company that held shares in this company as he timed his sales to hit in every good news release thus killing the rise each times. He was a disgruntled former chairman who got even but hurt the little guy. I just complained on principle.

The hedge fund ban in the US and UK on shorting financial stocks right now is likely to screw some of the big boys they are trying to save like Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs. They make a lot of money on shorting. The retail sector is likely to be the hedge fund short victims during this ban.

I have no problem with shorting but naked shorting has been screwing retail investors for some years now and these guys have been getting away with a lot of money off the small guy.

kjohnsob

Aug 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Both Shorting and Naked Shorting, have only just become a faut pas. I suspect that in the aftermath of this Naked will remain illegal, but shorting provided you own the stock will continue to be allowed.

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
After today's bloodbath:

Yoda -7.15%
Dial -16%
JBN -21%
Dial #2 -27.5%
Stallion -37.3%

Luckily this is just play money.

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Down 47.1%, dear god! :eek:

We've got different figures (maybe due to currency?) but...any way you look at it, it is ugly!

Yoda -20.39%
Dial - 32.9%
JBN -34.3%
Stallion -44.5%
Dial #2 -51.32%

In truth, I think this is an amazing buying opportunity. Within each day, stocks have been varying 10-20%, and when the market is down 400 points in the day, I am buying $10,000 worth of something and hope to be out by the end of the day when the rally starts. Long term I think they will be winners as well, but I don't like having to buy with an 82 cent dollar.

Take a look at Cemex today. It traded between $4.50 and $8. It has a P/E of under 3.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You know, I was actually thinking the same thing. I have our employee bonuses due in December, and was considering making a portion of it a "gift" (we can give up to $1,000 / year as a gift under fed tax laws, I think). Thinking we'll buy each guy a $1,000.00 money market RRSP or RESP for their kids at these low prices, something they can put away somewhere for a number of years that will surely see huge appreciation.

I was my stockbroker's least favorite person last week when I phoned him to convert everything to cash. I mean, I'd lost 10% to that point, and it was enough. Our portfolios today would have been down another 25% or so had we not converted.

Next move is we're actually creating a self directed mortgage RRSP; we'll be mortgaging a large personal line of credit we took out to expand our business. Part of the stipulations is that we need to pay fair interest rate. So, over the next few years, we'll be paying ourselves back principal plus interest.

Not sexy coffee table conversation, but this will help us pay down our debt faster, and come out of it w/ a nice, predictable nest egg.

Rodzilla

Sep 22, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
36.18 shares (rimm) (55.28$)
93.02 microsoft (21.50$)
408.99 GM (4.89$)
881.05 etrade(etfc) (2.27$)
542.00 ivanhoe mines(IVN) (3.69$)

gas prices are shrinking, GM is coming back (except for maybe the credit crunch for buying auto's) ah well play $

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
36.18 shares (rimm) (55.28$)
93.02 microsoft (21.50$)
408.99 GM (4.89$)
881.05 etrade(etfc) (2.27$)
542.00 ivanhoe mines(IVN) (3.69$)

gas prices are shrinking, GM is coming back (except for maybe the credit crunch for buying auto's) ah well play $

When you win this competition, there will be a big fat * next to your name.

Rodzilla

Sep 22, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
buy low sell high, isn't that how she goes.....

and * is well deserved, in defense, i just saw this thread this morning:wa:

Attachments

• 5_5_1[1].gif
    5_5_1[1].gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 86

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0