Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Top TTP Stock Portfolio

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I did a Ctrl + Prnt Scrn and pasted it in Paint.net

You too can make a pretty picture by "printing your screen".

Hold Ctrl and then press the Prnt Scrn button and then open paint.net ms.paint or photoshop and "Paste into new image" or in paint simply click paste.

you will then get an image that looks like the screen when you "prnt scrn" which you can crop and edit.

There is your crappy graphic tutorial for the day

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I did a Ctrl + Prnt Scrn and pasted it in Paint.net

You too can make a pretty picture by "printing your screen".

Hold Ctrl and then press the Prnt Scrn button and then open paint.net ms.paint or photoshop and "Paste into new image" or in paint simply click paste.

you will then get an image that looks like the screen when you "prnt scrn" which you can crop and edit.

There is your crappy graphic tutorial for the day

Here's my tutorial. You don't have to hit Ctrl. Well, at least I don't. And my stocks aren't looking good again, well as a whole, come on big turnaround :)

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's still early in the race, but Nvidia had a very nice day for me.

Dial: + $180
Bluenose: -$106
Stallion -$113

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Another nice day thanks to Nvidia. I thought KJ and Dude were getting in.

Dial: +$375
Stallion + $148
Bluenose -$42

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah...love to, when I have time. Too fcking busy selling real stuff.

Hopefully Sunday evening I can get in on this. It's been an experiment I've been meaning to do for a long time, anyhow, given my unhappiness w/ my current portfolio performance.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah...love to, when I have time. Too fcking busy selling real stuff.

Hopefully Sunday evening I can get in on this. It's been an experiment I've been meaning to do for a long time, anyhow, given my unhappiness w/ my current portfolio performance.

You and everyone else. I haven't had one client happy since the sub-prime crisis happened. Weird.

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not losing, I'm just too flat.

The best lessons I've learned are

1) stay away from VSE ( TSE venture) stocks unless you are directly related an insider.

2) stay away from VSE (TSE venture) stocks unless you are directly related an insider.

Failing to follow lessons #1 and #2 above, along with the tech bubble burst of 2000 has definitely left ugly scar marks on my portfolio.

Something interesting...

Here is the historic chart of Microsoft

MSFT: Summary for MICROSOFT CP - Yahoo! Finance

Correct me if my math is wrong, but if you invested $1000 in 1985, that would have bought you 10,000 shares.

After the numerous splits, your 10,000 shares would total 2.88 million shares today.

Multiply this by $28 (current trading price) and that would equal $80.64 million dollars.

Not a bad return on your $1000 investment!

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money

1) stay away from VSE ( TSE venture) stocks unless you are directly related an insider.

2) stay away from VSE (TSE venture) stocks unless you are directly related an insider.

Failing to follow lessons #1 and #2 above, along with the tech bubble burst of 2000 has definitely left ugly scar marks on my portfolio.

Something interesting...

Correct me if my math is wrong, but if you invested $1000 in 1985, that would have bought you 10,000 shares.

After the numerous splits, your 10,000 shares would total 2.88 million shares today.

Multiply this by $28 (current trading price) and that would equal $80.64 million dollars.

Stupid market. Good thing I'm invested for the long run :D

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Something interesting...

There is just one thing right and that is 1 share of Microsoft today would be equal to 288 shares but the outstanding share total is what 10 billion??

I knew the math was wrong as I owned MSFT in 2003 around a split as the damn thing never moved and despite being safe it was not going up so I sold.

You leave out the part that after the first split 2 for 1 that the close the next day was down over 10% which for many value investors who were sitting at work triggers their stop losses set about 10% or 9% to be the first out and avoid the rush.

I did some digging and this guy de-bugs the internet myth that Microsoft was ever a $1 US stock. It IPO'ed at $28 US.

Even the big funds buy and sell outside their core positions or they won't be making anything but paper returns and that doesn't go down well when some investors want cash.

It is kind of like the idea if you invested $1 at x% and left it in the bank for X years.... etc. it'd be worth.............

===============

When was Microsoft stock a penny stock? Mmmm. Never!
Q: Did Microsoft (MSFT) ever trade on another exchange or market before its initial public offering in 1986? Did the shares ever trade for less than $1 a share?

A: Proponents of penny stocks often try to convince investors to take a chance by spreading false success stories. One of the most popular has to do with Microsoft starting as a penny stock. It's not true, but I'll show you how the fraudsters try to trick you.

Here's the truth: Microsoft's stock debuted on the Nasdaq market on March 13, 1986. Its price at the end of that first day was $28. Microsoft's stock price, as quoted in newspapers and now the Internet, has never fallen below $1 a share. In fact, the stock's lowest quoted price in its history was $21.51 on June 13, 2006. You can see for yourself using this stock price spreadsheet from Microsoft, available here:

Check out the second column, called "Pre-Split Closing Stock Price." This number shows you the stock's price, as quoted by a broker or in the newspaper.

But, wait a second! What about the first column, called "Post-Split Closing Stock Price?" It shows Microsoft having a stock price of just under 10 cents a share on March 13, 1986. Does that mean the penny stock hucksters are right?

Not at all. That first column tells you what the stock price would have been in 1986 if you had considered the effect of all the company's later stock splits.

At no point did Microsoft's stock actually trade for 10 cents a share. It debuted at $28 a share. The 10-cent price is merely a reflection of the company's nine stock splits, which mathematically affects past stock prices in relation to current stock prices.

Don't be fooled.

Matt Krantz is a financial markets reporter at USA TODAY. He answers a different reader question every weekday in his Ask Matt column at money.usatoday.com. To submit a question, e-mail Matt at mkrantz@usatoday.com.

Find this article at:
When was Microsoft stock a penny stock? Mmmm. Never! - USATODAY.com

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've had MSFT in my portfolio for well over 15 years now. Untouched. It has done well for me over the stretch. As of now, it will stay there until the day the USD is strong vs. the CDN $ again.

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
At no point did Microsoft's stock actually trade for 10 cents a share. It debuted at $28 a share. The 10-cent price is merely a reflection of the company's nine stock splits, which mathematically affects past stock prices in relation to current stock prices.

Thanks for this Reccos. I figured something along those lines might be the case since I remember the last split being at about $46? dollars but the chart shows the price being about $23 at that thime. I was not sure how they factored all the previous splits and thought it would all be relative. I guess it is as long as you do not also factor in the splits and "double dip" ($28 approximate current price divided by 10 cents equals 28)

I guess that means that a $1000 investment in MSFT in 1986 would equal $288,000 today (in the scenario that someone had the patience/balls to never sell)? Nothing to sneeze at, but definitely not as exciting as my bad chart analysis numbers. Thanks for the clarification.

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
If anyone else who wants to join in, let me know your 5 stocks.

NVidia up 28% the past two weeks leads the way again to day.

Dial +$588
Bluenose -$178
Stallion -$952

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0