Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The World Scene

brum

Oct 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Figo #1

well lads and laddets Luis Figo named Fifa 's World Player of the year.brilliant decision by fifa:D :D :p :p now lets see if he can keep it up for the world cup:confused: :confused:

oh ya Mia Hamm named Female world player

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
CDK Knows How to Pick them!!!!

About a month back, in CDK's post of the final top 50 he called Figo to win. Great call!!! You may not a gay bar from a Milk Bar but you did make the right call.

CDK wrote: He is truly deserving of this award for he is the best player in the world right now.

:) ;) :)

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
BTW

correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the world player of the year voted by international managers??? sorry if I'm wrong Beater;)

brum

Oct 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
guinness

sorry lad your wrong heres the article for you to enjoy:

(posted Dec. 17, 12:12PM EST)
ZURICH -- Real Madrid's Luis Figo was named FIFA World Player of the Year on Monday, becoming the first Portuguese player to receive the award. U.S. star Mia Hamm won the inaugural women's award.

Fan Forums: Was Figo due?

Figo edged England captain David Beckham, who plays for Manchester United. Figo's Real Madrid teammate Raul Gonzalez, of Spain, was third.

“This is a highly prestigious award,” Figo said. “It was an honour to be nominated along with two great players like David Beckham and Raul.”

The award, based on the votes of 130 national team coaches, was presented to Figo at a glittering ceremony in Zurich, the city where FIFA is based.

Figo, 29, was the runner-up for last year's award.

Compared to last year's poll, the contest was much tighter. The Portuguese midfielder won with 250 points, just 12 ahead of Beckham, though the Englishman was the top choice of more coaches than Figo.

A total of 72 coaches named both Figo and Beckham in their top three players of the year. Beckham received top billing from 30 coaches, while 27 saw Figo as the outstanding player of the last 12 months.

The coaches were not allowed to vote for their own players.

Canadian coach Holger Osieck made Beckham his No. 1 pick, followed by Liverpool's England striker Michael Owen (who finished eighth overall) and Manchester United's Argentine midfielder Juan Sebastian Veron (who placed sixth).

Figo edged Beckham for the crown on the strength of 35 second-place votes, as opposed to Beckham's 23. Each top rank is worth five points in the overall voting, a second place is worth three.

Beckham was also second in 1999, behind winner Rivaldo.

“Obviously this is a very tough award to win and an important one,” said Beckham, whose wife Victoria was in the audience watching intently. “To be up here with these two players is a great honour.”

Raul trailed with 96, slipping ahead of last year's winner, Zinedine Zidane of France, who had 94 points. Brazilian star Rivaldo, the 1999 winner, was fifth with 92 points.

Figo began his career with Sporting Lisbon before moving to Barcelona in 1995. He made his national debut at the age of 19 but only came to international prominence when he was 27 for his outstanding performance during the Euro 2000 tournament, where he was considered by many to be the best player.

After the tournament Figo made a controversial transfer from Barcelona to rival Real Madrid for the then record sum of $87.5 million Cdn. That record has since been broken when Real paid $101.5 million Cdn for Zidane, twice winner of the FIFA World Player award.

Since the award was introduced in 1991, it has been won four times by Brazilians -- Ronaldo twice, Rivaldo and Romario -- and twice by Zidane.

Other winners were Marco van Basten of the Netherlands, Lothar Matthaus of Germany, Italy's Roberto Baggio and George Weah of Liberia.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Beater, WTF???

Did you read my post???
The award, based on the votes of 130 national team coaches, was presented to Figo at a glittering ceremony in Zurich, the city where FIFA is based.
again, didn't you say Brilliant decision by FIFA and I corrected you by pointing out it was up to other International managers???
No offence but what are you getting at???

gomesy_jr

Aug 14, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What?

What the hell was Holger Osieck on when he picked his top 3 players in the world? Don't get me wrong, Owen and Veron are great players too, but I don't see how they could be put ahead of Figo, Zidane, Raul, or Rivaldo.

Cheers, Gomes

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
ball of confusion.....

How can David Beckham be the second best player in the world but only the fourth best in Europe?

gomesy_jr, Osieck was probably on CTV Sportsnet. He probably hadn't heard of Veron until this season. Plus, he's the manager of the Canadian national side. That needn't suggest he knows anything about football.

Just a guess, Fastshow.

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guys the Great Garret Kusch and Mark Watson have retired from international duty. What will we do without them we can count out the 2006 WC aswell.

A moment of online silence please!!!

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A major piss take.....

PSV Eindhoven 8 - 0 FC Groningen

Andre Ooijer (17)
Wilfred Bouma (20)
Dennis Rommedahl (29)
Adil Ramzi (31)
Adil Ramzi (45)
Jan Vennegoor of Heselink (62)
Jan Vennegoor of Heselink (83)
Jan Vennegoor of Heselink (88)

I guess there are Point Grey Rangers type of scores in every league. :)

Never mind that, how the hell do they fit Vennegoor of Heselink on to the back of his jersey. A commentator's nightmare, one would guess.

Captain

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
More bad news for Holland...

Dutch 'set to unveil Advocaat as boss'
By Fraser Mackie

The Dutch Football Association expect to unveil Dick Advocaat as their national coach this week after Rangers' director of football has completed showdown talks with chairman David Murray. click for more

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hot off the Press!!!

Just got of worldsoccernews.com and it said that Inter is interested in Beckham and will offer Ronaldo as an exchange.

That would be a bone head move in my opinion. Any comments.

CDK Advocaat is the new Dutch coach!!!!

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sounds like Man U are trying to become a completely 'foreign' team. I never rated Beckham the way most Brits rate him... He is an excellent spot kick taker and and great crosser of the ball but, he needs his teamates to open him up into to space and if he is marked by a good defender or just has his right peg marked, he is marked out of the game.

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Having said that, Beckham will be peaking as a soccer player within the next three or four years. Barring injury, we may see the best of Beckham yet to come.

With Ronaldo proving to be a crock, Inter may get themselves a great deal.

I don't see Man U going for that deal. It will cost Inter a lot of $$$$$$$$$$.

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ronaldo

Ok hes had his share of injuries but when healty he very dangerous, and with him and Vieri Inter has to have the most dangerous partnership in the world. BTW we will see this weekend because Ronaldo is playing.

I dont see Beckham will be as good in Italia as he is in England!!

BullyB

Jan 7, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Don't be so thick!

You have yet to see the Best of Beckham. Just watch him float into the centre and follow his distribution, it ranges from short to long.......usually Owens foot. :p
Bollocks to the group of death, I say if you're going to win it all you might as well beat the best first.

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey

I never said he was a bad player but the EPL and the Serie A is totally different soccer, there smany players that went from the Serie A and been stars and many who have been flops and visa versa.

I agree with you on the group of death thing eventually to win the World Cup you must play the best teams so why noy get it out of the way. It makes those teams be there best through out the tourney.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Zenga/CDK

Just an observation, but how many English wanks were all over Beckham and hated his guts post 98'??? :rolleyes:
That whole country (plus its supporters now living in BC) blasted Becks for his retaliation on Simone'... claiming he was the sole reason England's other players missed PK's!!! Myself, I have said all along that he has a talent that knowone else in the world has, however that does not make him the best player in the world... he is rounding into a complete player, but after such critism and even death threats to his family he is now the English King??? funny how things work out... I guess if Shearer never retired from the Nat team Becks would still be the lad that cost them the 98' WC... everyone's a homer, but how can so many hate you one day and love you the next???

Guinnessjustthrowingaboneoutthere:confused:

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Soccer Spice

If contract talks stall with Becks and or he is not dealt before the World Cup he could finish out his contract and be a free transfer after that season. It would be pretty obvious to say that if they can't sign him they won't let him walk away for nothing.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0