Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sundin a Canuck?

Do you think the Canucks should trade for Sundin

• Total voters

the-impersonator

Sep 14, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Funny, Wolfgang (posts in the bundesliga thread) and I were talking at a local coffee shop and he had an idea that I was going to post up here, but thought I would take abuse for it...

He thinks this trade would make sense and would be doable/service both teams needs...John ferguson Jr's status probably would hold this up, and well, I guess hypotheticals are fun, it's really pissing into the wind until something happens.

To Toronto:
Corey Schneider (services T.O's future goalie needs as farm depth and future competition for Justin pogge)
Luc Bourdon (Leafs will need serviceable defensemen once they figure out how to get out from underneath those stupid contract JFJ handed out) (His potential as a Canuck doesn't concern me as Edler's emergence has left me thinking that a Bourdon emergence would be icing on the cake, meaning if the window is here and now the Nucks should make him trade bait)
A first rounder
& Matt Cooke (Has a cap hit of 1.525 and is a UFA at end of year, is a Toronto suburb native, TO has until July 1 to resign before he is a UFA)

for Mats Sundin. (who is a UFA at end of year)

thinking being that Canucks need to make the run now, and have a good shot at Resigning Sundin as Morrison & Naslund will have to take salary cuts to stay.

Naslund at 6 mil and Mo at 3.2 equals 9.2mill. Linden retires and opens up .950 putting the pool of money at somewhere around 10.

Sundin 2 years at 5 mil per
Naslund 2 years at 2.5 per
Morrison 2 Years at 2. per

Now you look at the line up and depth

Sedin Sedin Pyatt
Naslund Sundin Raymond?
Burrows Kesler Isbister
Linden Morrison Beech?
extras: Cowna, Ritchie, Brown, Jaffray, Rypien (Farm hands in rotation)

Ohlund Bieksa
Salo Mitchell
Edler Krajicek
Miller, Weaver, McIver
Goals
Luongo, Sanford.

Money is a wash...

Cooke has got to go for the money he is making...and frees up enough to get Sundin even now with Mo's money banked as he is on the IR.

The only kicker that I think would totally isolate the Canucks up with Detroit for Western Conference domination would be signing Forsberg...

He may or may not come, but how attractive is the team to forsberg!? with Nazzy, Sundin, the Sedins and the deepest Defense and the best goalie in the league combined with a hostile home crowd the Canucks would be a force for sure....

Keep in mind that the Maple laughs are not going to give Sundin up for nothing, the Canucks have prospects that are deemed by most fans in the know as surplus to requirements...I say overpay if you have to...the time is now and next year...Lu only has 2 years left on his contract, we need to give him a reason to re sign as well as a shot at a cup or two in his remaining 2 and 1/3 years left on his deal.

thoughts?

There is no way Brad Invisabister is going to be on the third line. As for Sundin, if you can lock him up for another 2 years, I'd do it. We don't need rentals. The only prospects I'd give up are Schneider and or Bourdon and some picks, a roster player as well. You can't give them Edler or Ryamond. Those guys will be studs in the league for years to come. Better option may be to sign Forsberg since it all costs you is some money. Bottom line, is there will never be a greater chance in our lifetime to win a cup because we have Luongo. If we don't show committment to winning a cup you can forget about him extending his contract.

Kevin Hector

Apr 9, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't believe Loungo would go any where else if the Canucks don't win a cup in the next two seasons. He said he wanted to come to Vancouver and play in Canada. if he signed else where it might be Ottawa. but I don't think he'll leave IMO. what about Hossa. I hear the Canucks are interested in him.

the-impersonator

Sep 14, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't believe Loungo would go any where else if the Canucks don't win a cup in the next two seasons. He said he wanted to come to Vancouver and play in Canada. if he signed else where it might be Ottawa. but I don't think he'll leave IMO. what about Hossa. I hear the Canucks are interested in him.

Problem with Hossa is that he is an un-restricted free agent next year, so like Sundin, you have to have some sort of Guarantee you could lock him up to a multi-year deal as soon as he got traded here. The fact that guys like Healty, Iginla, and others who were to be free-agents this year have already signed make him Hossa big name out there. And if the trend continues he could fetch 7-8 million a season on the open market. To be honest I would rather stray away from European players (no offense to anyone) and try and get some more north american grit. Forsberg is a different story.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Problem with Hossa is that he is an un-restricted free agent next year, so like Sundin, you have to have some sort of Guarantee you could lock him up to a multi-year deal as soon as he got traded here. The fact that guys like Healty, Iginla, and others who were to be free-agents this year have already signed make him Hossa big name out there. And if the trend continues he could fetch 7-8 million a season on the open market. To be honest I would rather stray away from European players (no offense to anyone) and try and get some more north american grit. Forsberg is a different story.

He has 6 more points then Naslund and makes the same money how is that helping the Canucks?

If there not going to make a big trade...keep everyone till season end....get rid of morrison and naslund.....free up 10 million and go after two 5 mil players

Bifficus

Jul 24, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
That is the exact logic that gets the leafs in trouble every year. Fixing problems by hoping, waiting and then throw money at someone who had a one decent year (see Blake) Canucks should try and do something, whether that is dealing for Sundin, I don't think it will happen until the Leafs can figure out who is managing them. By the way the Flyers will be in the playoffs before the Leafs will.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
That is the exact logic that gets the leafs in trouble every year. Fixing problems by hoping, waiting and then throw money at someone who had a one decent year (see Blake) Canucks should try and do something, whether that is dealing for Sundin, I don't think it will happen until the Leafs can figure out who is managing them. By the way the Flyers will be in the playoffs before the Leafs will.

Thats were your wrong they both won't be in the playoffs.....:rolleyes:

Bifficus

Jul 24, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Didn't say they would be in this year, just said they would be in before that other team. Can't wait to not watch the leafs on HNIC:wa::wa::wa:

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Funny thing is there only 5 points out of a spot

Seen that movie! Might as well be 100 points out as the 5 points only give the fans some hope...which they shouldn't have. Odds are that even if they go on a run, one of the teams below the line will as well - in addition to a couple of the teams that currently live above the line. It is SO hard to make up that ground. We see it every year in the Western Conference.

Kevin Hector

Apr 9, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
You cheer for Derby County so you know all about suck

Well if you want to go down that road, since the Leafs last won anything 1967. Derby have two league titles. My favourite Hockey teams are Vancouver and Pittsburgh. Mario Lemiuex is my all time favourite Hockey player and I've always loved the Caunucks even when they sucked in the 80's Tony Tanti was my hero when I was five. plus I loved Tiger Williams as a little guy because. I think it had something to do with his name "Tiger".

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well my favorite player is Mat Sundin ever since I was a wee lad growing up in Southern Ontario playing pond hockey I dreamt that one day I would play in the NHL...there was only 2 problems I wasn't 6' and I can't stop worth a lick on Ice.:rolleyes:

During draft day in 1990 when Mats was drafted ahead of me 1st overall by the Quebec Nordiques I vowed that I would look up to him and want to reflect my skills around this superstar. Next to a Canada, Sweden is the next hockey superstar nation...so I traveled over seas in hopes to follow my dream of playing hockey one day on a line with Mats Sundin unforuantley I was left off the 2005-2006 Olympic team which I trained so hard to be on.:rolleyes:

Mat "Captain Clutch" Sundin should be a superstar on any in the Nhl

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Most of us do a better Bob Cole impersonation than Bob Cole does when we're asleep.

:rolleyes:

Laffs still suck and always will until ownership changes.

Trece

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0