Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sundin a Canuck?

Do you think the Canucks should trade for Sundin

• Total voters

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canucks had 2 scouts at the last Toronto Maple Leafs game and word out of TO is that the Canucks are very interested in trading for Sundin. TO is simply looking for draft picks and a young player. Nonis is only wanting to trade if Sundin is willing to extend a contract past this year as he doesn't want a rent a player for a playoff run.

I think this deal is great for the Canucks as they need to make a run this year. There isn't any big names left on the free agent market this coming summer and lets face it Loungo isn't going to get better. This deal would no doubt give the Canucks two great lines!

The Swedish Connection line would be nice

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't know if anything will spark Naslund, but even without him in the equation, Sundin is a proven playoff performer, and the missing link for us (big, strong center). He would certainly add to the leadership department, and take a load off Willie Mitchell and Trevor Linden.

I hope they go for it.

More, I hope Naslund wakes the hell up.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Funny, Wolfgang (posts in the bundesliga thread) and I were talking at a local coffee shop and he had an idea that I was going to post up here, but thought I would take abuse for it...

He thinks this trade would make sense and would be doable/service both teams needs...John ferguson Jr's status probably would hold this up, and well, I guess hypotheticals are fun, it's really pissing into the wind until something happens.

To Toronto:
Corey Schneider (services T.O's future goalie needs as farm depth and future competition for Justin pogge)
Luc Bourdon (Leafs will need serviceable defensemen once they figure out how to get out from underneath those stupid contract JFJ handed out) (His potential as a Canuck doesn't concern me as Edler's emergence has left me thinking that a Bourdon emergence would be icing on the cake, meaning if the window is here and now the Nucks should make him trade bait)
A first rounder
& Matt Cooke (Has a cap hit of 1.525 and is a UFA at end of year, is a Toronto suburb native, TO has until July 1 to resign before he is a UFA)

for Mats Sundin. (who is a UFA at end of year)

thinking being that Canucks need to make the run now, and have a good shot at Resigning Sundin as Morrison & Naslund will have to take salary cuts to stay.

Naslund at 6 mil and Mo at 3.2 equals 9.2mill. Linden retires and opens up .950 putting the pool of money at somewhere around 10.

Sundin 2 years at 5 mil per
Naslund 2 years at 2.5 per
Morrison 2 Years at 2. per

Now you look at the line up and depth

Sedin Sedin Pyatt
Naslund Sundin Raymond?
Burrows Kesler Isbister
Linden Morrison Beech?
extras: Cowna, Ritchie, Brown, Jaffray, Rypien (Farm hands in rotation)

Ohlund Bieksa
Salo Mitchell
Edler Krajicek
Miller, Weaver, McIver
Goals
Luongo, Sanford.

Money is a wash...

Cooke has got to go for the money he is making...and frees up enough to get Sundin even now with Mo's money banked as he is on the IR.

The only kicker that I think would totally isolate the Canucks up with Detroit for Western Conference domination would be signing Forsberg...

He may or may not come, but how attractive is the team to forsberg!? with Nazzy, Sundin, the Sedins and the deepest Defense and the best goalie in the league combined with a hostile home crowd the Canucks would be a force for sure....

Keep in mind that the Maple laughs are not going to give Sundin up for nothing, the Canucks have prospects that are deemed by most fans in the know as surplus to requirements...I say overpay if you have to...the time is now and next year...Lu only has 2 years left on his contract, we need to give him a reason to re sign as well as a shot at a cup or two in his remaining 2 and 1/3 years left on his deal.

thoughts?

Kevin Hector

Apr 9, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think there is more of a chance of Forsberg joining the Canucks. They do have to move Cooke. he's useless. also I think Isbister done, he's this seasons Mark Choiunard. I don't think the Nuck's would have to give up Schnieder but maybe Bourdon some picks maybe Hansen or Gabour from the moose.

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I say do it. Morrison and Bieska are on longterm IR and I believe they dont count towards the cap.

Do you think the Leafs need Schneider as they have Justin Pogge in the system?

The Canucks time is now!

But if they can get Sundin, Im all for it. Imagine the nightmare for Shorty and Tommy if he would be on the ice with the twins? HAHA Sundin, to Sedin over to Sedin!

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree 100% with JBN, as much as I hate the Leaf's I would definitely take Sundin off there hands, even if the cost was as much as 2 prospects, a pick and a player, hell I'd throw in Isbister as well, even he could crack the Leafs line-up. Sundin would automatically elevate us to the top 3 status in the Western Conference. I would also like us to take a look at Marion Hossa in Atlanta, he was dropped to the second line when Recchi was picked up, though he's an UFA at the end of the season I believe.

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
sundin is a joke... skeletor can stay in T-dot with his buddy Jack from the shining.

Attachments

• skeletor.jpg
    skeletor.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 73
  • sundin.jpg
    sundin.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 76
  • jack.jpg
    jack.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 74
  • tucker.jpg
    tucker.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 82

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Even I, the biggest Leaf hater, can appreciate how good Sundin actually is. Look at what he's doing with them know, imagine how good he'd be with someone to play with.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The canucks can not apply for salary relief until their spending is near the cap threshold. until the apply for relief the salaries are still on the book.

Anyway, all for the deal if they canmake i happen but they neeed to resign sundin to make i worht it. I have heard the hossa and sundin deals are the same in who they are giving up. I think sundin would be willing to sign an extension here as it is a) in Canada b) a different conference from the Laffs and c) we have abit of a swedish thing going on here.

Forsberg is the big question mark in all this. If he is healthy, it appears vancouver is one of the frontrunner fo his services. You could possibly make the sundin and or hossa deals, and sign forsberg for a stretch run as he costs us nothing in terms of players and picks. That would but the "nucks into the top 2 or 3 pickd for the cup as long as luongo doens;t get hurt.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
as luongo doens;t get hurt.

Why would you even say something like that?

Forseberg would look great in a Nuck's jersey, cheap too as it is less than half a season so even if he is hurt he can still put up a point a game. He'd look good on a line with Nazzy and Sundin/Hossa

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
You can't even compare Sundin to Forsberg.....one plays all season and the other fills up the IR sheet.

getting forsberg would be the dumbest move the canucks can make

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why would that be?

He will be cheap in terms of money, doesn't cost a thing to get. He is not MVP Forsberg but he can easily be a good secondline player on a team that is full of third liners. With Naslund and or Raymond, Morrison etc it would be a decent second line. Morrison could join the checking line as he can be good defensively if he wants .

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Forsberg doesn't have diminished skills, just diminished body.

Sundin is a gem. Plays with plonkers like steen and ponikarovski and still is like 5th in league scoring...magic.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not so sure of that...He has a foot problem. he has been pretty good in his last few seasons (Hands, Vision, even speed and power) except he seems to get hurt quickly because of this foot ankle issue that the docs have not been able to remedy. He doesn't have Linden Syndrome (Still has legs, no hands or finish save shootouts) or Naslund syndrome (shot and speed diminished)

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why would that be?

He will be cheap in terms of money, doesn't cost a thing to get. He is not MVP Forsberg but he can easily be a good secondline player on a team that is full of third liners. With Naslund and or Raymond, Morrison etc it would be a decent second line. Morrison could join the checking line as he can be good defensively if he wants .

Thats why your not a gm, you would sign a injury prone player who hasn't played in one year to a couple mill contract who will bolt after the season is done....smart move:rolleyes:

I would take the safe bet and go after easy sure thing in one of the top 10 players in the league. Sundin can do it all, he is tough, can score and can pass the puck like no other! It may be surprising but he actually stands in front of the net!!!!

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Forsberg for part of a year would be awesome. if he gets hurt it costs you a bit of money but nothing on next years cap and no tradeable assets. I doubt he signs anywhere for more than a million and a half, that's chump change if he is able to play in the playoffs . Sundin would be great but the question is how much is he going to cost and would he be willing to re-sign here. i would not make a sundin tarde unless he re-signed otherwise don't waste assets on a rental.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Forsberg for part of a year would be awesome. if he gets hurt it costs you a bit of money but nothing on next years cap and no tradeable assets. I doubt he signs anywhere for more than a million and a half, that's chump change if he is able to play in the playoffs . Sundin would be great but the question is how much is he going to cost and would he be willing to re-sign here. i would not make a sundin tarde unless he re-signed otherwise don't waste assets on a rental.

Your wasting the same amount as you would on Forsberg....why can't you see that?

Canucks don't pay his full salary for the year.

Is Forsberg not a rental?

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Forsberg is a rental that costs nothing but a little cash.

Sundin costs draft picks, prospects, players or a combo.

Whixh one is cheaper in costs to acquire.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Forsberg is a rental that costs nothing but a little cash.

Sundin costs draft picks, prospects, players or a combo.

Which one is cheaper in costs to acquire.

Sundin...they are giving up things they don't need....goalie and defencemen who cleary isn't nhl good and draft pick that the Canucks would fukc up anyway...pretty cheap if you ask me. They have Loungo and the Sedin Sisters....they need a guy who is physical, can score and doesn't get hurt...Forsberg give you one of the those things (can you guess which one)

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0