Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Nationals SU Men & Ladies @ 2012 Nationals

BC Teams @ Nationals

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Let me guess, 1130 PM, indoors where the whistle is blown when the ball hits the roof...and then semis the next morning at 1030...weather permitting?

two-nine

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tough luck to the guys. Quebec must be pretty good beating Su 4-0. I wasn't expecting that. Now they have to win twice to get 5th

Good luck to the girls. Another solid tourney so far with 0 goals against. Go get the gold.

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
The structure of these national competitions have always been comical. Not to mention the NATIONAL SENIOR FINALS were played at 8:30am and 10:30am local time last year after an afternoon semi-final game the previous day. I see that is the plan again this year. These teams work all season long just to qualify for their provincial tournament. Then they play one game per week vs very tough competition just to win their respective provincial cups. Many teams and players have never even got this far. Then the BC teams must fundraise thousands of dollars and spend their own money just to land at nationals, where they are now faced with playing 5 games in 6 days and, if they're "lucky", a national final at 8am (after a 5am wakeup call) so they can get everything completed in time, put a pretty bow on it, and shuttle all the teams off to the airport, while the CSA brass expense one final cocktail and steak sandwich.

The end result is a national title that is more a battle of attrition and survival, which of course is still an amazing accomplishment in its own right, but is that what this game is supposed to be about...ice baths, bananas and powerade become more important than the actual quality of the team? It is certainly very hard to win and I am not taking anything away from the teams that have done it, especially Pegasus FC in 2004, but do they play the Champions League quarters, semis and final over a long weekend? Ok Champions League this is not but you get the gist of it. Naturally, it seemingly all comes down to money but here is a thought for a new nationals competitions structure that would allow for the games to be played in normal and reaonable sequence and for the budget to be cut:

The national titles can be determined over a 2 week (3 weekend) period in a single game elimination format (8 team bracket) with less total costs, as I see it. After the provincial champions have been determined, divide the teams into regions: east and west. You may require 1-2 play-in games but it is feasible to have the east and west regional semi finals on one week, followed by east and west regional finals the next week, and then a large "national final day" on the last weekend, including all national final games from all male and female youth, senior and masters. The "finals weekend" could be hosted by a suitable province with suitable climate each year (i.e. BC). Imagine 15 or so national finals being played at one soccer complex by teams that are well rested and playing to the best of their ability...it would be a cracking atmosphere. Also imagine the support the home teams would have for their regional semis and final games, especially with at least a week to hype up the big games.

How is this less expensive? Take the mens senior division for example. Currently the CSA must pay for return flights for all 12 teams to get to their national competition and back. That's return flights for a total of 11 teams if you take away the hosts. Under this new proposal, you would have 4 total return flights required for the teams in the regional semi finals (4 teams host a home game), 2 total return flights required for teams in the regional finals (2 teams host a home game), and 2 total return flights required for the teams in the national final, unless one happens to be from the host province. Clearly that's less total return flights required for teams from the CSA (11 vs 8).

As for hotel and meal costs, under the current system ALL teams are faced with staying at a hotel for up to 7 nights and paying for their meals no matter how well they perform and/or if they advance. Under this new proposal, a team that makes the national finals weekend AND happens to have to travel for ALL 3 of their games (this is worse case scenario for travel) would still have to spend only 3-4 nights total in a hotel. In addition, if you get knocked out there are no more costs to incur. There could also be a rule in place that the home teams have to share the hotel costs with the visiting team in the regional semis and finals and I would certainly look for grants or funding from the local organizations or leagues for more suppport. Not to mention a sponsorship package being shopped around to different hotel chains to eliminate this cost altogether. The CSA could also offset some of the costs for hotels with the money they are saving on having fewer flights, or they could up the total amount of team members covered on the flights to 25, so all players and staff are taken care of.

There are many more advantages to this new structure that I do not have time to list right now...I'm sure there are also some cons...but the reality of the situation is that these games that are supposed to be of a high magnitude have always been slightly compromised by unreasonable scheduling and occasional weather snafus. I understand this is only amateur soccer but I don't think it has to be that way.

Having said all that, best of luck to SUFF, SU and all other BC teams in bringing home the gold!

:cool:

Please tell us that you aspire to become a decision maker within the CSA because this stuff is brilliant.

larsson

Aug 12, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Please tell us that you aspire to become a decision maker within the CSA because this stuff is brilliant.

Too funny but I guess typical of BC once you lose you start pointing fingers hahah muppets! At the end of the day everyone is dealt the same cards no one has the advantage .i agree The CSA is not the greatest but they do try to make the competition fair and by that they try to give each province a chance to host this great event. Maybe you guys should win it and then talk instead making excuses how bad the tournament is cause you lost. Hahaha come on Scottish win it again for the province of Alberta the powerhouse of Canadian soccer provinces

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
I did win it, back in '91 with Norvan. That's when we decided to win it again in '92. We've been pointing fingers ever since!

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
SU Ladies in Gold Medal game LIVE right now:

Soccer

Surrey United looks like they have nothing left in their legs. Ontario seems to have a little more jump. Obviously been a long weekend and a ton of soccer. The ladies are going to have dig deep in this second half and find a way to find some legs if they want the gold. A final just shouldn't look like two exhausted teams trying to find a way to summon the energy to make a forward run.

reedie

Sep 20, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Too funny but I guess typical of BC once you lose you start pointing fingers hahah muppets! At the end of the day everyone is dealt the same cards no one has the advantage .i agree The CSA is not the greatest but they do try to make the competition fair and by that they try to give each province a chance to host this great event. Maybe you guys should win it and then talk instead making excuses how bad the tournament is cause you lost. Hahaha come on Scottish win it again for the province of Alberta the powerhouse of Canadian soccer provinces

Larsson, I posted my opinion on the nationals before SUFF even played their quarterfinal game, so I was not looking to point fingers at all. Also, my idea would allow more provinces to get involved by hosting national games each year in the regional playoffs. But you're correct in saying every team gets dealt the same cards, which means they are all competing within a format that is no different than the Fijian tournaments you once played in. Of course the one difference would be the food costs incurred by your Fijian team. Everyone remembers the great lamb shortage in BC in 1996.

:cool:

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0