Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Nationals SU Men & Ladies @ 2012 Nationals

BC Teams @ Nationals

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can't remember if a thread has been started yet or not but this is super late!

I believe the men are playing right now vs the hosts, Manitoba... Ladies play later this afternoon/early evening.

Go SU Go!!!

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
The U14 girls team (Coastal) won its first match today vs PEI 10-0. The U14 boys (Surrey United) play tomorrow vs NFLD. They have a tough match on FridaYy vs Quebec.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Clarke just tweeted, knvb retweeted, now I'm following @jclarkey2

Men won 3-1, day off tomorrow.

Women up next, vs Manitoba

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks, Lumpy. I've never played in a National Championship game. Now, go have a doughnut and sniff some gasoline. A perfect way for Lumpy Larsson to spend a Thursday night. God bless and good luck with that.

knaacks

Oct 7, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Games went indoors today and same for friday,only friday games will be full 90mins, ladies win a close one 1-0 over Alberta tonight. We havve to do a quick turnaround as we kickoff at 8.00 on friday morn.northwest territories then almost 2 days before Saskatchewan on Sunday. Weekend games should be back outside by then. Ii

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Didn't this happen in Sask or something a few years back with games moving indoors? It boggles the mind. Either do the tourney earlier or do it where you can play the games the way they were intended to play: Outdoors, on grass and have turf backup if needed due to rain closures... If that means only Southern Ontario and BC taking turns to keep it moving east/west, so be it.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It was West Van (men) and SU (women) that went through the indoor fiasco in Sask. a couple of years ago.

The reality is that it rarely happens... if anything, playing in shittier weather should be an advantage to BC teams since everyone else plays in the summer.

:)

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just saw a tweet from Nick Perugini from Surrey United :

This Championship continues to blow my mind;ridding in the same bus as the opponents #MuckDeathStares

WTF ??!!

reedie

Sep 20, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
The structure of these national competitions have always been comical. Not to mention the NATIONAL SENIOR FINALS were played at 8:30am and 10:30am local time last year after an afternoon semi-final game the previous day. I see that is the plan again this year. These teams work all season long just to qualify for their provincial tournament. Then they play one game per week vs very tough competition just to win their respective provincial cups. Many teams and players have never even got this far. Then the BC teams must fundraise thousands of dollars and spend their own money just to land at nationals, where they are now faced with playing 5 games in 6 days and, if they're "lucky", a national final at 8am (after a 5am wakeup call) so they can get everything completed in time, put a pretty bow on it, and shuttle all the teams off to the airport, while the CSA brass expense one final cocktail and steak sandwich.

The end result is a national title that is more a battle of attrition and survival, which of course is still an amazing accomplishment in its own right, but is that what this game is supposed to be about...ice baths, bananas and powerade become more important than the actual quality of the team? It is certainly very hard to win and I am not taking anything away from the teams that have done it, especially Pegasus FC in 2004, but do they play the Champions League quarters, semis and final over a long weekend? Ok Champions League this is not but you get the gist of it. Naturally, it seemingly all comes down to money but here is a thought for a new nationals competitions structure that would allow for the games to be played in normal and reaonable sequence and for the budget to be cut:

The national titles can be determined over a 2 week (3 weekend) period in a single game elimination format (8 team bracket) with less total costs, as I see it. After the provincial champions have been determined, divide the teams into regions: east and west. You may require 1-2 play-in games but it is feasible to have the east and west regional semi finals on one week, followed by east and west regional finals the next week, and then a large "national final day" on the last weekend, including all national final games from all male and female youth, senior and masters. The "finals weekend" could be hosted by a suitable province with suitable climate each year (i.e. BC). Imagine 15 or so national finals being played at one soccer complex by teams that are well rested and playing to the best of their ability...it would be a cracking atmosphere. Also imagine the support the home teams would have for their regional semis and final games, especially with at least a week to hype up the big games.

How is this less expensive? Take the mens senior division for example. Currently the CSA must pay for return flights for all 12 teams to get to their national competition and back. That's return flights for a total of 11 teams if you take away the hosts. Under this new proposal, you would have 4 total return flights required for the teams in the regional semi finals (4 teams host a home game), 2 total return flights required for teams in the regional finals (2 teams host a home game), and 2 total return flights required for the teams in the national final, unless one happens to be from the host province. Clearly that's less total return flights required for teams from the CSA (11 vs 8).

As for hotel and meal costs, under the current system ALL teams are faced with staying at a hotel for up to 7 nights and paying for their meals no matter how well they perform and/or if they advance. Under this new proposal, a team that makes the national finals weekend AND happens to have to travel for ALL 3 of their games (this is worse case scenario for travel) would still have to spend only 3-4 nights total in a hotel. In addition, if you get knocked out there are no more costs to incur. There could also be a rule in place that the home teams have to share the hotel costs with the visiting team in the regional semis and finals and I would certainly look for grants or funding from the local organizations or leagues for more suppport. Not to mention a sponsorship package being shopped around to different hotel chains to eliminate this cost altogether. The CSA could also offset some of the costs for hotels with the money they are saving on having fewer flights, or they could up the total amount of team members covered on the flights to 25, so all players and staff are taken care of.

There are many more advantages to this new structure that I do not have time to list right now...I'm sure there are also some cons...but the reality of the situation is that these games that are supposed to be of a high magnitude have always been slightly compromised by unreasonable scheduling and occasional weather snafus. I understand this is only amateur soccer but I don't think it has to be that way.

Having said all that, best of luck to SUFF, SU and all other BC teams in bringing home the gold!

:cool:

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just heard that SU men lost 2-1 to Alberta but are in the 1/4's tomorrow against either Ontario or Quebec.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts