Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Scottish Premier League News 2003/04

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Vigilance

Keep the faith Hoopmen... You've got soo much dosh in the bank it's only a matter of time until you crack it wide open with some blockbuster signings...
It's all about Vigilance!!!:rolleyes:

Parkputz, look at Jinky's avatar... That crest and CR Smith as a sponsor would = same kit as 1988... Case closed...

GuinnessthiksParkheadisdrunkagain???:D

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nothing better than burning bridges....

Agent disgusted by Rangers

McLeish watched Figueroa impress against Boca
The agent at the centre of Rangers' aborted attempt to sign Argentine forward Luciano Figueroa has described the Ibrox club as "the most unprofessional I have encountered in 33 years in football".
Eric Manasse was instructed by Rangers' director of football Martin Bain on Wednesday morning to conclude the deal to bring the player to Glasgow.

Manasse maintains that personal terms were virtually agreed with the player, a fee of £2.3m had been agreed and only the method of payment remained unresolved.

But with those negotiations taking place, Manasse says Bain reneged on the deal, withdrawing the offer without explanation.

Bain told the BBC Sport website that this was a case of "a disappointed agent counting his fee before the deal was concluded".

Ironically, the owner of one of the companies that holds a financial interest in the player insists that Rangers' decision to involve Manasse in the deal was partly why the Scottish champions' offer had not been accepted.

"The player is heart-broken," Manasse told the BBC Sport website.

"After the game at the weekend, he had a glass of champagne with Alex McLeish and Martin Bain and was welcomed to the Rangers squad.

"He had his heart set on playing for Rangers and then they pull out, giving me no explanation."

McLeish and Bain had travelled with Manasse to Argentina to see the player score five goals against Boca Juniors.

But Bain told the Rangers' website on Thursday: "Taking everything into consideration, the amount of money involved, the various bids from other parties and the fact that he has just been called up for international duty and is liable to play in next year's Olympics we decided to withdraw our offer."

The opportunity to play in Spain is an attractive one - they have a stronger league

Luciano Figueroa's father and agent, Jorge Figueroa
Spanish club Osasuna have made the only other written offer for the player.

Ricardo Schlieper, whose company Investors Group own a 60% interest in Figueroa, told the BBC Sport website that the Osasuna offer was more attractive to them than the Rangers one.

"There was very little difference between the offers. Both wanted to stagger the payments, which we were not entirely happy with, but really the method of payment is just an excuse for Rangers' offer being rejected," he said.

"The truth is that Rangers' decision to involve other parties meant that the various parties involved became wary of their offer. The Osasuna offer was simpler."

The player's father, Jorge Figueroa, who is also his son's agent, admitted that they were disappointed that the Rangers offer had been withdrawn.

But he added: "The opportunity to play in Spain is an attractive one - they have a stronger league.

"But we will go wherever is best for my son, whether that be Scotland, England, Italy or Spain."

Figueroa was the leading scorer in the Argentine league in the season just ended with 17 goals.

He is currently with the national squad preparing for next Wednesday's game against Uruguay.

Great stuff. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact they don't have money to pay the player. I can't believe he wouldn't go to such a glamour club for free. Doesn't everyone want to play at Ibrox and travel to play Linfield every year? The Argentinians just don't get it, I guess. :)

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is a list of players very recently linked with Celtic.

Motherwell's McFadden

Basle's Hakin Yakin again,

Paulo Di Canio again,

Liverpool's John Arne Riise,

Deportivo Cali's Giovanni Hernandez,

former Juve defender, Zoran Mirkovic,

Stutgartt's Hleb,

Portsmouth's Paul Merson.

Rumour has it that young Bhoys Wallace and Beattie are looking very good along with David Fernandez. We should expect to see these players regularly this season.

Celtic is also set to earn 3 million quid for their two games stateside this month.

Rangers are advertising season's tickets for sale.

Celtic are not. But you can get on the waiting list.

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
When you're chasing the Treble Champions, I guess it's the little victories that count.

With that said, Ibrox's' pies and bovril are better then Parkhead's.

Buckfast

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Linked???

Isn't that like saying I've heard Nelly Fertado once on the radio so we're practically going to hump??? :rolleyes:
Here's a thought, why not link those ghod awful hoops together and make one colour!!!;)

Guinness

Ps. Linfield are a European powerhouse!!!:rolleyes:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Huge pre-season win....

Celtic 3-2 Helsinborg

Story by Kevin Smith 11 July 2003

Bhoys round of Swedish tour with victory.

Henrik Larsson's name was on the scoresheet at the ground where he first established his name.

King Henrik helped his team-mates to a 3-2 victory over Swedish side Helsinborg.

Also on the scoresheet was Stan Petrov and youngster Craig Beattie

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
No more hairnets at Ibrox.

Blackburn sign Amoruso

Lorenzo Amoruso has finally completed his £1.4m move .

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
More financial woes?......

Gers' Zura deal not yet done

Zura Khizanishvili left Dundee at the end of the season
Rangers have confirmed that they have yet to complete the signing of Georgian international Zura Khizanishvili.
The 21-year-old has already passed a medical, but has not put pen to paper on a contract.

The issue of a work permit application, which has yet to be lodged with the Department of Employment, could hold up the signing even further.

Non-European Union players must play in 75% of their country's internationals to qualify for a work permit, but a serious knee injury that kept Khizanishvili out of action for 10 months means he falls just short of that figure.

Rangers boss Alex McLeish admitted there had been a hold up in the completion of the deal.

"He hasn't trained with us either - but he will meet up with us in Germany," he added.

"I know he has to have played 75% of his country's matches but if he is knocked back for a work permit I would see us appealing successfully as he is a key player for their national side and the DoE takes injuries into account."

The player's agent, Athole Still, insisted that the player would sign the contract in Germany on Monday or Tuesday.

Khizanishvili left Dundee at the end of last season when his contract expired, but his former club are entitled to compensation from Rangers because he is under 24.

Rangers have offered Dundee £90,000, a sum Dundee considered derisory and the fee looks certain to be settled by a tribunal.

Khizanishvili and Nuno Capucho, Rangers new signing from Porto, are due to fly with the Scottish champions to Germany for a pre-season tour on Monday.

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Two in a row....

The new campaign is shaping up well for the Teddy Bears. Got rid of some riff raff and brought in quality:

Get tae fcuk:

Amo - and got 1.4m.hahahahah
Numan - past it
Konterman - former Dutch international my arse
Canniggia - did a job for us, but didn't need the parting remarks
Eggen - didn't play much
Bonissell - same as Eggen
Arteta - will be missed, but fcuk him if he wants away.

(Finally) Coming into the fold -

Ball - hopefully not one of RFC's infamous injuries
Nerlinger - same again. Had a wee bust up with Eck, also.
Capucho - I think he recently won a UEFA Winner's medal???
Thome - better then Konterman
May - more reliable then Amo.
Burke - young boy has impressed on the wing
Phillips - looks like he'll be on his way, with the Mackems skint and in the hole with Rangers for 3m.
Khizanishvili - good squad player if his work permit gets through

Ohhhh, the blue bells are blue.

Buckfast

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Very optimistic, Bucky. 4 of those players will be playing for two positions. Is it an Over 30s squad now? Either way, their backline will be shite and if you're banking on that midget, Burke, to help, you're dreaming again. You forgot about Wright coming from Aston Villa. He is only 32 but has booked a spot for himself saying everyone knows of his credentials. To be quite honest, I had never heard of the fellow, but that's just me.

As for the good Glasgow team, rumours are flowing again about Belarussian Hleb. Celtic have finally made contact with his agent and the agent has left it up to the Bhoys to contact Stuttgart. Otherwise, they appear to be going with the troops who took them to the UEFA Cup final. Craig Beattie is apparently ready to come in and do a job, but we've heard that before. Celtic will win the league this year but like Rangers, they are going nowhere in the Champions League, with the team they have right now. It will still be nice winning the league back after having it stolen from us this past year. ****ing cnuts, Dunfermline. ;)

Captain

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
One casualty already......

Pre-season Friendly,

Thursday July 17, 2003,

Loftus Road Stadium, London

FULHAM… 1

Sava 59

CELTIC… 2

Petrov 9, Larsson 15

Goals from Stilian Petrov and Henrik Larsson extended Celtic’s unbeaten run over English opposition to 13 games as Fulham became the latest victims of the Hoops’ impressive pre-season form.

The Cottagers’ boss, Chris Coleman had admitted beforehand that this match would likely come a little late for his ring-rusty side given that their pre-season exertions prior to this evening had amounted to a solitary match, away to Torquay.

This, Coleman no doubt realised, would provide no kind of preparation for facing last season's UEFA Cup finalists.

Indeed, a pattern of Celtic dominance was set from almost the first kick, with Martin O’Neill’s side always appearing a yard quicker and sharper than their sluggish Premiership hosts. The early exchanges even witnessed an adventurous foray forward by defensive colossus Stanislav Varga, who, having emerged positively from the back, would likely have converted a neat back-heel from Henrik Larsson but for the intervention of Edwin van der Saar.

Four minutes later, Celtic could, and really should, have taken the lead. Larsson’s trickery on the left touchline created a golden opportunity for strike partner Chris Sutton six yards from goal, but - leaning back - the big Englishman directed his side-foot shot over the crossbar.

Before 10 minutes were out, however, Celtic had established a one-goal cushion – with an absolute corker of a goal.

Liam Miller certainly earned the plaudits of his team-mates with some terrific wing play, but from the moment the young midfielder’s cross was deflected into the path of the lurking Stilian Petrov, it was all about the Bulgarian’s chest control and crisply struck volley, which flew low into the net from 18 yards.

It gave Martin O’Neill’s team an advantage they more than merited, and within six minutes this advantage had been doubled – courtesy a poacher’s goal from the ever-sharp Larsson.

Yet the lion’s share of the credit belonged to forgotten man Bobby Petta, who gave the noisy Hoops’ fans inside Loftus Road a glimpse of the player who so delighted them a couple of seasons ago by conjuring out of nothing an opportunity which his Swedish colleague coolly side-footed home from eight yards.

It was a goal which delighted an already buoyant travelling support, but unfortunately the mood was soured within minutes when Varga went down awkwardly after a tackle on Zesh Rehman, one which sadly appears to have left the Slovak with serious knee damage. With Brian Scott gesticulating for a stretcher to be brought on to the field, both O’Neill and assistant John Robertson rushed down from their seats in the stand to assess the damage and replace the stricken Slovak with Stephen Crainey.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the incident appeared to deflate Celtic somewhat, and Fulham – who had previously only threatened once, through Louis Saha in 12 minutes – began creating an ever-increasing number of problems. Magnus Hedman was never overly troubled, however, and towards the end of the first half, the Hoops’ superior class and fitness once again began to tell, with Jamie Smith coming within inches of netting a fine solo goal as the seconds ticked down towards half-time.

Predictably, the break was followed by a flurry of substitutions, with the most notable of Celtic’s six being the introduction of Paul Lambert for his first action of season 2003/04. Fulham, meanwhile, made no less than nine changes and, just a minute short of the hour-mark, one of the players introduced, Facundo Sava, broke through Celtic’s defensive ranks and poked the ball beyond Robert Douglas from 12 yards.

That merely prompted O’Neill into yet more personnel changes, with Larsson, Sutton and Smith all retiring to the bench to be replaced by Craig Beattie, David Fernandez and Ross Wallace respectively, and within seconds of their introduction, two of the three new boys nearly combined to great effect. In the role of creator was Fernandez, whose neat footwork and delicate through ball released Beattie for a clear run on goal. The teenager’s first touch was heavy, however, and his shot – though powerful enough – was too straight to cause any real problem to Maik Taylor.

Beattie refused to let his head go down, though, and after Barry Hayles had rattled the crossbar at he other end with an instinctive close-range header, he was again in the thick of things, jinking away from his marker on the left touchline before forcing a decent save out of Taylor from an acute angle. Another goal would have been hard on Fulham, who had improved greatly in a keenly contested second half, and the final whistle brought cheers from all of those within Loftus Road – every one of them having been thoroughly entertained.

Website Man of the Match: LIAM MILLER

FULHAM (4-4-2): van der Saar (Taylor 46); Hudson (Green 46), Knight, Djetou, Harley (Goma 46); Inamoto (Clark 46), Rehman (Buari 46), Davis, Boa Morte (Malbranque 46); Saha (Sava 46), Hammond (Hayles 46)

CELTIC (3-5-2): Hedman (Douglas 46); Mjallby (Sylla 46), Varga (Crainey 19), Valgaeren (Kennedy 46); Smith (Wallace 63), Miller (Lambert 46), Petrov (Lennon 46), Thomspon (Prunty 86), Petta (Guppy 46); Larsson (Fernandez 63), Sutton (Beattie 63)

Sub: Marshall

It appears that Liam Miller impressed before he was taken out but it looks like the Bhoys are going to be without Varga for several weeks/months. Granted, he will not be a starter but he is certainly important for depth. Hopefully Balde will be making the trip to play Man. United. Just another victory against an English team, making it an undefeated run of 13 games......

Next up, the plumbers from Man. United :)rolleyes: )

Captain

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Shammy,

Four players fighting for the same position is not a bad thing. Treble champs refer to such a phenomenon as depth. Runner's up of all things worthy may see this as redundant.

Another fine example where good players don't necessarily make good managers. But I'm sure you were a great player. So, Fasty tells me.

Buckfast

kurgan

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 8, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
4 player for 2 positions?

That's even better odds than trying out for GEU. They must have at least 5 world class players out for their 2 spots:rolleyes:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Buckfast,

They aren't able to sign all four. Is that hard to understand? That is why I made the point. Hopefully you're not a banker......
Thanks for questioning my managerial ability. I'm sorry I can't be up to your standards.

Sincerely,

Brian Burke

To clarify one more time: They only have spots for two of them, and the others are going to have to take a hike. They will not be signing them. Hopefully, this is clear for everyone now, especially you, Bucky.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Another fine example where good players don't necessarily make good managers. But I'm sure you were a great player. So, Fasty tells me.

I've heard that you were/are neither a good player or good manager but do I have to believe rumours? No, I'm sure you had your moments.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Shepherd's Bush

Watched Fulham v. Celtic last night and for the first half Celtic looked a class apart. Granted, they have been playing for a couple weeks now, granted, Loftus Road was all pissed-up Scots (is there another kind?) so resembled a home fixture and granted, they were playing Fulham but they looked good with their three-at-the-back formation. Coleman has to be odds-on favourite to be the first managerial casualty of the Premiership season with Fulham. What a shower of boring and unimaginative shite. The footballing equivalent of a Zenga 'pisstake'.

Second half and with Celtic changing to a four-at-the-back formation, Fulham were all over them. Had Fulham had anyone up front other than that silly cnut who trots about with a mask inside his socks and Barry 'Div. 3' Hayles, they could have eked out, yes eked out, a draw. That Beattie for Celtic is a big lad with a great first touch and, rather optimistically, tried to pick a fight with Lee Clark after calling him, very loudly, a fcuking wanker. David Fernandez also seems to have put his boozy past behind him (rather than put his past ahead of him which would be an even more impressive feat) and has shed a couple of his extra chins for the season. Must be a good feeling to be behind Larsson, Sutton, and Hartson in the pecking, yes pecking, order.

Fulham will go down this year and Celtic will continue to explore the feeling of being Scotland's second best side even with Bobo in the squad.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fulham will go down this year and Celtic will continue to explore the feeling of being Scotland's second best side even with Bobo in the squad.

It really does show how much Mr. England knows about football. ;) Stick to picking tunes for me to hate and I will look after the football analysis. BTW, the Fulham goal was offside by at least a yard. Even though your opinion might be ignored, I was wondering what you thought of Liam Miller. He was given POG by the Celtic website. Thoughts, Mr. England? Cheers.

Captain

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Quite a surprise......

Phillips too pricey for Gers

Phillips' career statistics
Scottish champions Rangers will not step up their interest in striker Kevin Phillips until Sunderland drop their asking price, according to the player's agent.
The Ibrox side, who have been repeatedly linked with Phillips during the summer, have denied contact with his club as the pressure mounts on the relegated Black Cats to sell their biggest names.

But the player's agent Phil Smith claims Rangers have been making enquiries and says the 29-year-old could be making a move to the SPL if the price is right.

"They do like him up there (at Rangers) but the problem is the money Sunderland want for him," said Smith.

"The only way it might happen is if Sunderland come down with their expectation which then might reach Rangers' valuation."

"Clubs will be looking at Sunderland's plight and seeing if they can take advantage.

"Other clubs are interested and Kevin just wants the whole thing sorted out.

July transfers

"He would like to know where he is playing next season, but I can't see this being resolved quickly."

Sunderland value Phillips at about £4m, but the club desperately need to trim their wage bill and could accept a fee as low as £2m.

They may be keen to do business because they still owe Rangers the latest instalment of the fee they agreed to take Tore Andre Flo in the opposite direction last August.

Rangers manager Alex McLeish would only tell BBC Radio Scotland: "We have been linked with a number of players but my policy is to only comment once there is something hard and fast to discuss.

"And I'm certainly not going to dive into anything until I know funds are available from the board to bring in the quality that will enhance the squad."

Boro confirm Phillips interest

One club who will not be making a move for the former England striker are Portsmouth, after boss Harry Redknapp ruled out any approach.

"I'd love Kevin Phillips but I couldn't afford him. I just think he's beyond us," Redknapp told this website.

Phillips was left out of Sunderland's 5-0 friendly win at York on Wednesday with an ankle problem but it is not thought to be serious.

I guess the 400 000 pounds offered was not quite enough. :rolleyes: They are going to have to wait and see how much money they are going to have to fork out for 'Zura'.

Hail Hail

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Have been reading some zingers from Captain and his ckoc-cozy (Parkhead) in the Man Ure/Shitic thread.

Just wanted to remind you how shite Rangers are:

TREBLE CHAMPIONS

On your bike, ya' weeping sore.

Buckfast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0