Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Scottish Premier League News 2003/04

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rangersforgotten

No apparently he will be your big signing. It was the huns who were giving him the free whiskey and Haggis.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Oooops is right

Originally posted by steve1234
It was the huns who were giving him the free whiskey and Haggis.

Of course it was.
It wouldn't be the Hoopsters.
Watch your wallet in that crowd. ;)
Our wallet's got lots of Bank of Scotland debit and credit cards. :D

Kevin Phillips is English isn't he?
Of course he'd sign for Rangers.
There's no room for two England "B" strikers at Parkhead as well.
Chrissy would have none of it I'm sure.

Fcuking blew that one didn't I? :( :eek: :p

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Broto's dithering costs him Parkhead contract

JAVIER Sanchez Broto has returned home to Spain after Celtic manager Martin O’Neill withdrew his offer of a new contract with the club.

O’Neill finally lost patience with the former Livingston goalkeeper earlier this week when the 31-year-old - who had been tipped to oust Rab Douglas as No 1 this season - again failed to put pen to paper on his new deal.

Broto flew back to Spain on Thursday night, hours before the UEFA Cup finalists were due to leave for their pre-season training camp in Sweden.

The keeper was said to be devastated after being given the news, but his representatives are now working frantically behind the scenes to find him a new club. Hearts head coach Craig Levein has been made aware of his availability.

The Tynecastle boss is currently searching for a new keeper, however Broto’s high wage demands could prove to be a stumbling block.

Still no signings and we still have to watch my favorite Celt Big Rab Douglas:rolleyes:

Parkhead

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Things are looking great for the new campaign. O'Neill, get your fcuking finger out of your arse and get some quality into the squad. :mad: Right now, we're only going to be 12 points better than the Huns at the end of the year. I want it to be 18 or 22......

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tough oppposition

Celtic's 4-4-2 dumps Swedes

Henrik Larsson's appearance delighted the Swedish fans
Celtic began their warm-up for the new season with a gentle 7-0 win over an amateur select in Sweden and a further hint of a change in tactics.
Stanislav Varga, Steve Guppy and Chris Sutton put the Scottish outfit ahead before the break against a team combining players from the Kungshamn and Smogen clubs.

Stilian Petrov added the fourth with a penalty before David Fernandez scored a double either side of a strike by young Ross Wallace.

The match at Kunghshamn Vallen Stadium was missed by manager Martin O'Neill.

He was not due at their Kungsbacka training camp until the evening following what Celtic describe as a "minor operation".

But there appeared to be confirmation of summer speculation suggesting that the Northern Irishman is contemplating scrapping his tried and trusted 3-5-2 system.

Hedman: 'I'm no wimp'
Stephen Crainey, who has been looking for a new club, started at left-back, with Jackie McNamara on the right, in a more traditional 4-4-2.

Magnus Hedman started in goal and was given a warm welcome by the crowd of 4,700 along with compatriot Henrik Larsson as he partnered Sutton up front.

There was also a welcome return after the break for forgotten goalkeeper Barry-John Corr.

The 22-year-old had been sidelined for two years with a debilitating back injury.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Celtic (4-4-2): Hedman (Corr 46); McNamara (Agathe 46), Valgaeren (Kennedy 46), Varga (Laursen 46), Crainey; Smith (Wallace 64), Lennon (Miller 46), Thompson (Petrov 46), Guppy (Petta 46); Larsson (Beattie 46), Sutton (Fernandez 46).

Kungshamn/Smogen Select (4-4-2): Gorling; Albertsson, Dalkvist, Karlsson, Soderberg; Patriksson, Syversen (Williams 68), Kapella-Karlsson (Lindholm 64), Hysen (Maisa 64); Johansson, Henriksson (Hassellov 32, Olsson 54). Subs: Syversen, Hassellov.

:rolleyes:

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
More Rumours

Middlesbrough and Celtic have joined the clubs vying for the signature of Newcastle winger Nolberto Solano. [Daily Star]

Defender David May is to train with Glasgow Rangers with a view to a permanent move after being released by Manchester United. [Daily Mirror]

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
One team is active.....

It looks like one of the two Glasgow giants is busy in the off-season......

May handed a chance by Rangers

Rangers manager Alex McLeish has handed former Manchester United defender David May the chance to resurrect his career.

The former European Cup winner fell well down the pecking order at Old Trafford and was released at the end of the season but after a discussion with Sir Alex Ferguson, McLeish has offered him the chance of a trial.

McLeish has also given former Sunderland centre-half Emerson Thome the chance to earn himself a deal with the Treble winners.

His assistant Andy Watson said: 'It's no secret that we are looking for some cover in the centre half position and that's why the two lads are here. We will have a look at them all of this week and maybe next week in Germany and take it from there.'

McLeish is also believed to be lining up a bid to take Manchester United youngster Michael Stewart on loan for next season.

He wants the 22-year-old former Scotland Under-21 midfielder to replace Mikel Arteta when the Spaniard completes his expected move to Atletico Madrid and Ferguson is in favour of the move.

McLeish, meanwhile, has confirmed his interest in Argentinian striker Luciana Figueroa.

The 22-year-old Rosario Central striker has already been dubbed the new Gabriel Batistuta and lived up to his reputation when he blasted five goals against Boca Juniors in front of the Ibrox boss.

But the Treble winners face stiff competition for the youngster who finished Argentina's top scorer with 17 goals last season.

McLeish admitted: 'He has certainly attracted attention now by scoring goals against Boca. It was fairly unrecognisable Boca team, but at the same time he still had to be there to score the goals and that's what he did.

'A week earlier that same Boca side beat Independiente in Buenos Aires. I went to Argentina myself to see Figueroa in person rather than relying on videos or scouts reports and he was impressive.

'When the ball came into the box he was very alert and alive with a good work rate. But it would be stupid of me to say it's a done deal and he's definitely coming to Ibrox.

'I will say that he is a young player with great potential and he's done well in Argentina - one of the strongest leagues in the world.'

McLeish, meanwhile, has handed former Manchester United defender May the chance to resurrect his career.

The former European Cup winner has fallen well down the pecking order at Old Trafford and was released at the end of the season but after a discussion with Sir Alex Ferguson, McLeish has offered him the chance of a trial.

McLeish has also given former Sunderland centre-back Thome the chance to earn himself a deal.

His assistant Andy Watson said: 'It's no secret that we are looking for some cover in the centre-half position and that's why the two lads are here.

'We will have a look at them all of this week and maybe next week in Germany and take it from there.'

Hello, O'Neill, are you there? Get your fcuking arse in gear.....

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Let's have some Celtic news

I hear Celtic will play Boca Juniors now that AC Milan has bowed out for the 25th.

David May would be a good signing for the 'Gers.

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
good news atleast

Henrik Larsson is off the mark in his last season at Celtic with a double in a 2-0 win over Swedish side GAIS. Two strikes in the 47th and 50th minute gave Celtic a comfortable victory with a few surprise starters in the team, notably John Kennedy and Liam Miller. It's only pre-season but here's hoping it's the start of a couple of promising Celtic careers. Youngsters Craig Beattie and Ross Wallace also entered the fray in the 60th minute and, by all accounts David Fernandez had another decent game playing in behind the front two. Oh and for the purists O'Neill reverted to a 3-5-2 for this one.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Parkhead, are those their new unis for the upcoming season? They look very nice indeed. Sharpish. Not as good as the 'pool but they are cool.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dapo,

I believe that is last year's jersey. The new one should have Carling across the front.

If they're going with young players this year, that is great. We'll show just how deep we really are. :rolleyes:

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
That is last year's. I believe they start to wear the new ones after July 15th. Just in time for Seattle.:D Sharp indeed.

Parkhead

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Shirts

I can get my hands on the new and old Celtic shirts, and the Gers shirt if anyone is interested. Cheap fae the barras. Pm me

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lots of Celtic shirts available I'm sure.

The 'Gers jerseys have the factories working overtime no doubt. :)

Ah yes, the Barrowlands....
A fine clothing establishment fe sure.

However, I bet I can beat Stevie Wonder234's prices with my contacts at the Govan market. ;)

Just put a nonflammable substance on to protect your fingers when you first touch them. :D

Two-fifty a packet.... ya cannae whack it.....
Two-fifty a packet.... ya cannae whack it.....

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
O'Neill speaks

Celtic manager Martin O'Neill has urged fans to be patient over the lack of transfer activity over the summer.

While Old Firm rivals Rangers have set about strengthening their squad for the new campaign, there has been no news from the green half of Glasgow.

But O'Neill, who returned to the dug-out to see Henrik Larsson grab both goals in Celtic's 2-0 friendly victory over Swedish side Gais on Tuesday, insists there's still time to bring in new faces.

"I'm asked the same question every single year and every year I give the exact same answer," said the Irishman.

"We will try to get players in if we can and that's really it. I'll try my very best and, if we can, then we can.

"Like anything else, we would try to freshen up, but the side did actually get 97 points last season and got to a UEFA Cup final as well.

"And you can also see that some of the young lads are coming through but I'm not any different to anyone else and I would like to freshen things up.

"Everyone thinks it's all quiet on the western front but we might do something," he added.

Meanwhile, James McFadden's agent claims he has not received an approach for the Motherwell star from Celtic.

O'Neill was believed to have made the highly-rated Scotland international his top summer target. But McFadden's representative John Lonergan insists he has not been contacted by last season's UEFA Cup finalists.

"I've had no formal contact from Celtic," he said. "I am on my holidays at the moment, but it's quiet everywhere."

Last Updated: 09 Jul 2003

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guinness you dumb twat,

Are they going back to 1988 ???

Why change perfection!:D Actually it would be 1888 to be exact and since 1903 with Umbro.

Green & White HOOPS forever.

Parkhead

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
100 years with umbro?

I don't think so.

It's one hundred years in the hoops. Before that the stripes were vertical.

Very few clubs are making moves right now. Celtic is no different in that respect. Be patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts