Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Provincial Cup Men Open 2008 Big Change!

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think you will start to see the shift in more players playing strictly summer ball....with a shot to still win BC's.

Not sure if this is the intent ....

What happens if Seattle or PS wins the PCSL? Does it go to the next best BC Team?

jungleboy

Jun 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Does anyone else think that UBC, by offering scholarships, has an unfair advantage over club-based teams? If they have the ability to dictate whether a player can play for a club team in the Provincials or them, it will be them every time because it could affect the player scholastically if a scholarship is pulled.

I'm not sure who plays on the PCSL UBC team, varsity players or hopefuls or what, but it seems to me that there's a fundamental difference at play here that club teams can't (legally) compete with.

If there is an advantage, it will be taken away once they get to nationals. Like the SFU boys on Clanbus last year, I doubt Mosher will release them during Thanksgiving to play at the National Club championship.

And with possibly UBC leaving for NCAA Div2 (I think), sure, they have a greater pool of young talent to draw from. But this doesn't guarantee wins.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think that players now get 2 chances to qualify for provincials. Once with their PCSL team and once with their winter league team.

The BCSA rules state that:
You are registered with your "winter" team from Sept 1 to March 31
You are registered with your "summer" team from April 1 to August 31

I interpret it to say that when one registration period ends, you are free to register with another team for the next period (no transfer required)

So I guess if you are on a VMSL team that fails to qualify for provincials, you can go ask UBC to play for them and sign on April 1 (conveniently 4 days before the first round) without requiring a transfer. I don't think they'll have any problem finding players....

I hear you Dezza exceot for you cannot play a game with your "new" signed team in a cup competition as per rule 7 and subsequent subsections in BC Soccer's by laws...
"m) Players must be transferred seven (7) days before taking part in any cup competition.
This rule shall not apply to league games. A player, after being transferred, may
compete in league games as provided by the rules of such leagues. All player transfers
for league games must be made at least one (1) day prior to the game-taking place.
The grace period commences from the date the completed application and fee is filed
with the Association. The transfer application shall be authorized by the Association
prior to the player taking part in any competition with the new team. A player
transferred to a youth team must play at least one league game before playing in cup
competition for the team to which he has been transferred.
n) A transferred player shall be not eligible to play for the new team in any cup
competition in which the player has already competed during the current playing
season."

...meaning
M) Player could not play in cup as he has signed only 4 days prior to cup commencing
N) Player for lets say...Inter then plays for UBC...Has he not played in cup competition with Inter by playing in the Imperial?

i could be right out to lunch, but that is how I'm reading...

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hear you Dezza exceot for you cannot play a game with your "new" signed team in a cup competition as per rule 7 and subsequent subsections in BC Soccer's by laws...

...meaning
M) Player could not play in cup as he has signed only 4 days prior to cup commencing
N) Player for lets say...Inter then plays for UBC...Has he not played in cup competition with Inter by playing in the Imperial?

i could be right out to lunch, but that is how I'm reading...

Well UBC gets a first round bye, so that would make April 1 11 days before playing...

I don't see how playing in Imperial for one team would disqualify someone from playing in the Provincials for another. They're not the same cup competition.

i.e. McCarthy played FA Cup for Rovers this year, but if he transfered to ManU he'd still be eligible for Champions League

kjohnsob

Aug 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Does anyone else think that UBC, by offering scholarships, has an unfair advantage over club-based teams? If they have the ability to dictate whether a player can play for a club team in the Provincials or them, it will be them every time because it could affect the player scholastically if a scholarship is pulled..

Yes, however it is an Open Cup, not a club cup. I dont even see any mention of it being an Amateur cup. Where are those Whitecaps?

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wake Up British Columbia

I like the actual lay out of the revised tournament, BUT the problem with this new developement is it doesn't make sense for BC Soccer on the field as much is it may off it!
IMO, each league should want their representing teams to put their best foot forward in hopes of sucess. BC Soccer should also want their representative team to be at it's best come Nationals.
Having an connection with a University is great, but having your club team going to Nationals when the University team is in mid-season spells trouble for that club team. Clanbus felt a glimmer of that in 2007 and BC soccer must realise UBC (who get a 1st round bye to cross their T's and dot their i's) will be in a worse situation come this October. For BC Soccer to intentionally send a bandaged squad as representation at Nationals something is clearly missing from this equation? Does Mosher have some dirt on certain members of the brass? Does his dad now work at BC Soccer? What kind of money is being laundered here?
Then again, they still have to win 4 matches.
IMO, there is a much bigger picture than what most of us TTPers care to know about. Possibly another card would be, Alumni can represent UBC at Nationals? I may be in with a shout after all! Then again after this post....... :rolleyes:

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've heard that the VMSL proposed that they receive 2 seeds but the other reps would have none of it.

cerebral smallsy

Oct 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
there are plenty of ongoing discussions regarding the pcl, and more specifically ubc berth into provincials. player eligibility, etc. will come out in the wash over the next couple/few weeks. i can tell you that ubc, (should they manage to win provincials), will have the weekend of the nationals, slotted into their playing schedule next october.

surreyu

Sep 23, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
What about poor Westside? Did UBC take all their players back that were at Westside prior to this new development? If so, they are in big trouble......
I know Surrey lost a good young player named Tyson back to UBC.

cerebral smallsy

Oct 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
"poor westside" has only been utilizing red shirts, cuts and ineligible players from the ubc camp, with the exception of two recent signings (one of which hasn't even played).
bottom line, we are essentially playing with the same squad we have been throughout the course of the season, which as seen in our current situation has been somewhat of a struggle. we're a club in transition (very similar to sapp this year and peg a couple years back) with the old guard moving on some new blood coming in....and the results show that.
we certainly have our work cut out, but the focus is our next game tonite and move on from there in retaining a spot in premier and a good cup(s) run.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So UBC is in the Provincials...but let's hear how you think they will actually do. My bet is the top premier teams have a pretty easy time with them. The top teams are littered with ex university players just older, stronger and more experienced.

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Watched UBC a few times last year in PCL play and I can't see the being a threat to the top three teams in each league.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
UBC's full squad will be good.
They can beat anyone on any given day if all of their players are there. (ie) Poli & Frazaro

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
I personally like this. I also think more teams from the PCSL will be included in the future with some spots taken away from the VMSL. who knows for sure but all and all its good for soccer and thats whats important in the end,,

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
UBC's full squad will be good.
They can beat anyone on any given day if all of their players are there. (ie) Poli & Frazaro

They won't be.......Frasao or whatever is staying wth Sporting........Paul Bahia is staying with Indo.......they will be the younger guys for the most part but they will still be competitive.......but not as 'strong' as their team during their regular season.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why would you take spots away from the VMSL when teams from that league have proven consistently they compete at the highest level?

Right now, slots are allocated on the basis of how many teams in a league are eligible for the open provincial cup.

This summer will be VERY interesting in terms of seeing what type of teams compete in the PCSL...

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
So lets say FK Pacific from Seattle wins the league next year in the PCSL.
Are they entered in the "Provincials"?

Nothing like the Americans coming and taking our hardware!!!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No, American teams cannot participate in the BC Provincial Cup as far as I'm aware. And if they can, that is whacked.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0