Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Provincial Cup Men Open 2008 Big Change!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
WOW

My ASS has provided the following little tidbit that was apparently decided tonight for this year:

20 team competition with:

PCSL 1
VMSL 9
FVSL 5
VISL 5

Draw date: March 25th

Preliminary Round of 4 games April 5/6 (12 teams given BYE)

1st Round as normal with 16 teams.

Each league will have a seeded team (determined by each league) in the 1st Round.

FINAL in Chilliwack, May 10th

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
It has always been 16 teams at least for the last decade. Extra teams qualifying from VMSL/FVSL/VISL is big news as is seeded teams.

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Interesting Regs. The BC Soccer Website (which of course is shite) says that all the senior cup play (Men's, Women's & Masters) are supposed to have the finals on May 3/4.

Code:
Senior Men’s and Women’s – U21, Classics/Masters and Open
April 5/6           Round 1 (up to 16 teams)
April 12/13       Quarter Finals
April 19/20       Semi Finals
April 26/27       Rest – make up games if needed
May 3/4            Finals

It would be nice to have them on the same weekend like it used to be years ago.

irish rover

Aug 6, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
How's the PCSL thing going to work? Didn't Victoria United win the PCSL, which means some of there players would be cup tied with there club teams. I

irish rover

Aug 6, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
So the thunderbirds don't have any players that would be cup tied. I agree with the new format but don't alot of young local players play in the pcsl in the spring/summer but play for vmsl,visl or in the fvsl for the winter?

defector

Nov 29, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Who would be eligible to play for UBC?...... their best players are scattered through out the VMSL..........

I can't see how the PCSL thing will ever work for a lower mainland team, none of them field teams with all their players committed for both summer and winter.....

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Or is that Peace Cariboo Soccer League.
Cause every team has guys in the Pacific Coast SL

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That was posted on the FVSL site last night....

I guess it (FVSL SIte) is new and improved afterall.
Latest News
PROVINCIAL CUP

This year the Provincial Cup OPEN Men's Tournament will include 20 teams. VMSL- 9, VISL- 5, FVSL- 5, PCSL- 1. Each league has a seeded team in the 1st Round who will be given a BYE in the Preliminary round along with 8 other teams. The DRAW will be held march 25th and the Preliminary round (8 teams) will take place on the weekend of April 5/6. Finals will be held in Chilliwack on May 10th.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think that players now get 2 chances to qualify for provincials. Once with their PCSL team and once with their winter league team.

The BCSA rules state that:
You are registered with your "winter" team from Sept 1 to March 31
You are registered with your "summer" team from April 1 to August 31

I interpret it to say that when one registration period ends, you are free to register with another team for the next period (no transfer required)

So I guess if you are on a VMSL team that fails to qualify for provincials, you can go ask UBC to play for them and sign on April 1 (conveniently 4 days before the first round) without requiring a transfer. I don't think they'll have any problem finding players....

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
So if by going by what is posted on the FVSL does that mean UBC already has a bye to the round of 16? Each league gets a seeded team along with 8 other byes. If this tourney got expanded to let these guys in shouldn't they have to qualify? I'd be pretty pissed if I would have qualified for the 16 originally but don't get in now because of this. Unless it is worded wrong.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Its really no problem to me but this means next year, 9 of 12 VMSL premier teams (minus a div1 Imperial run) will have a spot in the provincial cup with one of those 12 being a relegated side. What is the incentive for league play other than to be the top seed or to avoid relegation?

Guess what is going to happen if say Sporting draws a 5th place (for a lack of a better example)Abbotsford or GN team in the provincial cup or for that matter a mid table VISL team? What's the point?

Thinkingoutloud

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's a good point, but perhaps- given the reduced number of teams in the league next season- this will mean 2 or 3 spots will be moved over to the PCSL next year from the VMSL.

I think it's good, so long as there is no player signing funny business. If a player chooses to play for a VMSL or FVSL squad during Imperial Cup or Pak, they are now "Cup Tied" through Provincials. So, if you play for Surrey United or PAU, and you play for that team in the league cup, but all of a sudden your team's season takes a shite and now are out of both league cup and top seeding, you can't now whore yourself to a qualified PCSL team.

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Does anyone else think that UBC, by offering scholarships, has an unfair advantage over club-based teams? If they have the ability to dictate whether a player can play for a club team in the Provincials or them, it will be them every time because it could affect the player scholastically if a scholarship is pulled.

I'm not sure who plays on the PCSL UBC team, varsity players or hopefuls or what, but it seems to me that there's a fundamental difference at play here that club teams can't (legally) compete with.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0