Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NHL Hot Stove

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Chris Drury has fallen off the map after establishing himself as an up-and-coming star with the Avs. This is a kid who was scoring some crucial playoff goals on a Stanley Cup winner. Now he's left to rot in Buffalo. I don't understand this move one bit. One year and you give up on the guy - nevermind the fact you gave him nobody to play with for the entire year, aside from Iginla.

I don't know why Jonesy figures Reinprecht is coming cheap....the guy is a 3rd-line checker who managed to have a decent offensive year last season because he filled in for Sakic while big Joe was out injured. With the additions of Selanne and Kariya, I think Lacroix figured Reinprecht became expendable, and he got a promising young defenseman in exchange for him. Blake and Foote aren't getting any younger.

Personally, I think this is a lousy trade for Calgary and it reeks of Button-esque decision making. Who exactly is going to take some of the scoring load off Iginla now? Maybe they can trade for Dean McAmmond again.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sensei,

I'd take Reinprecht, Drury or anyone of the guys involved in this trade over either one of the "sisters" anyday.

A thirdliner on the Aves is better than anything on the Canucks second line, in my humble opinion.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm just not all that sure I get what you're saying.

If you're saying the Canucks should have gotten in the Steve Reinprecht sweepstakes (probably the first and last time you'll ever see that written), they'd be SOL. Vancouver has no prospects as bright as Ballard, and, to concur with your assessment of depth at forward, no trade bait for Lacroix outside of the first line and the top-four defensemen. Who, unless Burke slips into a coma and lets a beer vendor handle player transactions, are not going anywhere. So I can't imagine how Vancouver would ever get a hold of the guy, even though he would be a nice addition to Vancouver's lack of depth up the middle. Even if you disregard all that, there is no way in hell Colorado is going to dance and deal with a divisional and conference rival.

If you're saying this was a salary dump for Colorado, I can't see it. Reinprecht makes $475,000 a year. They saw an opportunity to snag a highly-touted (possible top-2 blueliner) prospect with American pedigree who can step in after Blake and Foote go out to pasture. With an excess of forward talent, Lacroix could afford to deal Reinprecht, who admittedly is a steal at under half a million a season. But in the "fiscally sound" world of the new NHL, high draft picks have as much value as any regular contributing player does. I bet Colorado figures they can hold off on signing this kid to a hefty pro contract until a new CBA comes in during 2004 and the rookie salary scale probably gets all messed around with it.

I do agree with you that any of the guys mentioned would be better fits than the Sedins right now, but Vancouver's ability to get them is slim to none. We all saw at the trade deadline last year that Vancouver has very little to offer in trades, if they plan to stick with keeping the core guys together.

So, everybody sit back and keep praying for Ray Whitney.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regarding Kariya, it seems to me the biggest reason he took such little money is group 5 unrestricted free agency. A person who plays ten years and makes less than the average NHL salary (1.7 million I think) becomes a group 5 unrestricted free agent and can write his own ticket. Obviously choosing Colorado to play with is based on different reasons.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dap,

Nonis explained that last night as well... apparently Kariya and Selanne told their agents that they wanted to go to Colorado...

It was also discussed that perhaps Patrick Roy would "come back"... Nonis said though that he might have signed some "voluntary retirement" papers which means he couldn't play hockey for a year... anyone else ever hear about this? What would be the purpose?

Cheers,

~Regs.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs,

I believe it has something to do with retiring, and then coming back under a new/restructured contract.

With the Roy example, he could have retired after the playoffs, spent the summer mulling over his decision, and then re-signed that fall for a new, less expensive contract, especially if he knew the team was going to use some of the money from his previous contract to go out and sign other free agents.

I'm not 100% certain this is the exact logic behind what Nonis was speaking of, but it's something along those lines.

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Klatt

He signed a two-year deal and sources have told Sportsnet that the deal is worth $1.1 million (US) per season with a player/club option for the third year that is worth $1.2 million (US).

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
He's back.

Hasek confirms comeback

TSN.ca Staff

7/8/2003

Dominik Hasek confirmed the worst kept secret in hockey, that he plans to return to play hockey next season with the Detroit Red Wings.

Hasek's decision means the Red Wings will attempt to move one of their two goaltenders, most likely Curtis Joseph.

"Ideally, as quickly as possible, I'd like to get a goaltender moved," said Red Wings general manager Ken Holland. "That's easier said than done in the current financial environment. Both are very well paid, and I'm going to have to try to be creative with other teams to put something together."

Holland added he hopes to have the goaltending situation resolved prior to the start of training camp this fall.

While Holland would not say definitively that Joseph will be traded, Hasek made it quite clear where he expects to play next year.

"My decision, unfortunately, affects other people," said Hasek. "My desire is to play for the Detroit Red Wings... It's my goal and nothing else."

Joseph, who was signed last year to replace Hasek, has a no-trade clause in his deal. Holland says he has not asked Joseph or his agent to waive that clause, but he plans to speak with the goaltender on Tuesday regarding the future.

Expect the St. Louis Blues and New York Rangers and to a lesser degree the Boston Bruins to pursue Joseph via a trade.

The Colorado Avalanche also need a No. 1 goalie after the retirement of Patrick Roy but it's doubtful Holland would deal Joseph to his Western Conference rival, especially not after the Avs picked up star forwards Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne last Thursday.

Hasek says he does not regret his decision to leave hockey last year.

"I did not feel I could play the next season at that level," explained Hasek. "I acheived everything I wanted by winning the cup."

"After one year, not playing in goal, I feel I'm ready to play professional hockey again. I feel recharged."

Hasek was also asked if his decision to return would spur rival Patrick Roy to return for one more year with the Colorado Avalanche. While he said he would welcome the challenge, agent Rich Winter confirmed that Roy has filed his retirement papers with the NHL, meaning he can't return to play until after next season at the earliest.

The Wings picked up Hasek's $8-million contract option for 2003-04 on June 30 before a midnight deadline in order to retain his rights. Otherwise, Hasek would have returned to the NHL as an unrestricted free agent and free to sign with the highest bidder.

Hasek played only one season in Detroit after spending the majority of his career with the Buffalo Sabres, leading the Wings to the Stanley Cup in 2001-02 and then announcing his retirement. But he began to miss the game last season and rumbling began during the playoffs that Hasek was contemplating a comeback.

bertrum

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Old news but juicy...

Is this the reason Corson left the Leafs?

Since Corson's resignation from the Leafs, speculation has been that Alexander Mogilny's 'family matters' absence a few weeks ago may have been related. A Toronto Police officer has said that he was called to a domestic dispute at Mogilny's home. The rumour is that Corson was having an affair with Mogilny's wife while the team was off on a road trip, leaving Corson back in Toronto nursing whatever problem he was having at the time. After this was found out by team members, Corson's presence with the team was not welcome, forcing Corson to resign.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I heard that Corson, Brown and Ted Nolan tag-teamed her. Then Marty Brodeur did Mogilny's brothers wife. :rolleyes:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Multibet Competitor Price Unit Stake

Colorado Avalanche 5.00

New Jersey Devils 7.00

Detroit Red Wings 7.00

Ottawa Senators 8.00

Dallas Stars 9.00

Vancouver Canucks 10.00

Philadelphia Flyers 13.00

Toronto Maple Leafs 15.00

St Louis Blues 17.00

Tampa Bay Lightning 21.00

N Y Rangers 21.00

Minnesota Wild 21.00

Anaheim Mighty Ducks 21.00

Edmonton Oilers 26.00

Boston Bruins 26.00

Washington Capitals 29.00

Los Angeles Kings 34.00

N Y Islanders 41.00

San Jose Sharks 51.00

Phoenix Coyotes 51.00

Montreal Canadiens 51.00

Chicago Blackhawks 51.00

Nashville Predators 67.00

Pittsburgh Penguins 81.00

Atlanta Thrashers 81.00

Florida Panthers 101.00

Columbus Blue Jackets 101.00

Carolina Hurricanes 101.00

Calgary Flames 101.00

Buffalo Sabres 101.00

Win Only

Show Betting Help/Rules Help - How Do I Use This Coupon?

Willhill finally changed the 8.00(which was available for at least 3 days after the big trade with Kariya and Selanne) to 5.00, which still seems to be a great price, especially since they will be getting a quality goalie soon.

Captain

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
May Day has signed!

He got a two year deal at about a Million per................basically what Klatt wanted, but Burke refused to offer:rolleyes: Maybe the age difference was the big issue but surely Klatt offers more than May on the ice.

Here's hoping there is something else in the works.................

John

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0