Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NHL Hot Stove

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cut and paste

Sharks acquire rights to Mark Messier for future considerations

SAN JOSE (sjsharks.com) - San Jose Sharks Executive Vice President and General Manager Doug Wilson announced today that the club acquired the rights to center Mark Messier from the New York Rangers in exchange for future considerations on June 30, 2003.

Messier, 42, is set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, 2003.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You have got to be joking

Did the Sharks to see what the Mouse did in Vancouver when he played here when he was SIX years younger. If they are looking for leadership, then why did they let Nolan go last year.
Classic stuff by the Sharks.

hos

the power

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is likely along the lines of what Edmonton did with Brian Leetch. Obtain the rights to a player for next to nothing so if they sign with another team, they get an extra draft pick from the league. Both Leetch and Messier cost the Oilers and Sharks nothing, a pretty low risk move by both teams to gain a draft pick.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Shifting gears, I'd like to comment on how much I love what Burke is doing with his four unrestricted free agents this off-season.

Clearly Burke is a prick and I really dislike his attitude towards the media. But the guy is so point-blank when it comes to explaining why he fails to re-sign certain players - it's hilarious.

Trent Klatt is a bum. You heard it here first. He works hard and he's great for the community, but that guy making anywhere close to a million dollars is a joke. He can go look for deals wherever he wants, but he won't get anything remotely close to the deal he's getting from Vancouver. Who the fcuk is interested in Trent Klatt? Minnesota kept coming up but that's a media-perspective only. He'd be like the 3rd highest paid player on the Wild, and probably wouldn't even be on either of the first two lines. He's a slug and would die on a team built around speed.

Trevor Letowski can get the hell out of here too. Brandon Reid played all of eight regular season games and basically knocked Letowski out of the lineup during the playoffs. I don't know where Letowski ends up but I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a massive pay cut just to stay in the NHL.

Brad May had three eventful moments as a Canuck last season, and one of them was getting knocked unconscious by Sundin. Pretty clear he was a rent-a-player and nothing more. Langdon does just as much as May, and he'll basically fight anything that moves.

I kind of like Murray Baron, but he got exposed against speedy players last year and they really need to open up a spot for Bryan Allen right now. If Allen sits any longer he's going to turn into a Nolan Baumgartner and be tagged as a monumental bust. Plus, Murray is due for a major bone break with all those pucks he shins away. This could be the year. Let him skip to Philly.

To summarize, Burke has basically gone ahead and ditched basically all the Canuck players I took issue with last season. He's got a good track record with this, unloading dead wood like Berehowsky, Pederson, Hlavac, Druken (how many times are the Leafs and Canes going to sign this guy?) over the past few years.

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It would be nice to see Kariya in a Nucks jersey but will Burke be willing to shell out for what he wants?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What if shelling out is in the $5M range? Is that money well spent, or not? I'd rather see Sean Burke & Joe N for 6m between the two, or so.

hammerhead

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just saw this

Derian Hatcher to the Wings

Kariya and Selanne to the Av's, Sykora to Washington

Anaheim makes it to the show then has a fire sale? :confused:

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sources close to the Avalanche are reporting Paul Kariya has signed a one-year deal worth only $1.2 million. This is not a typo.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kariya has reportedly signed for an astonishing $1.2 million for the upcoming season, a huge cut from the $10 million he made in each of the last five years in Anaheim.
If this is true then Burke should be fired immediatly.:mad:

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It looks awesome on paper, but don't forget that Dallas had similar depth up front last year after signing Young and Guerin, and it didn't get them much in the playoffs. Plus, they've got a massive hole to fill in net, and they're trying to replace the gap left by Roy with David "The Swiss Miss" Assbasher.

I'd love to hear what Burkie has to say about this one. He can't really bitch about overspending because Kariya inked for 1.2mil and Selanne took a million-dollar paycut to sign for 5.8mil. So they've got two quality players for a combined 7mil.

Now the question remains why the fcuk Burke wasn't on Kariya like flies on shite, if he was willing to sign for so little. My guess is that two considerations with Kariya were 1) he wanted to go to a competitive team and 2) he wanted to re-unite with Selanne. Vancouver matches the first part of the equation, but I guarantee Burke was unwilling to sign Selanne and make it a package deal.

This whole day has been kind of lame - all the good free agents are gone within two days of the signing commencement date. There's no hope in hell that Fedorov is going to sign here, so we're left to sift through some second-tier talents like Nieuwendyk, Whitney and a host of others.

fat monkey

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why?

This Kariya signing doesn't make sense. I understand the philosophy of wanting to play on a good team. Many people would take less money to have a chance at a winner. But the players' union is going to shite all over him for taking that kind of money. Now the bar has been lowered significantly.

It also makes even less sense when you take into consideration that Anaheim offered him $6 million. It's not like the Ducks were bad in the playoffs. Something smells in the state of Colorado.:confused:

Unrestricted free monkey

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From TSN:
The Columbus Blue Jackets have signed free agent Todd Marchant to a 5-year, $14.5-million deal. They've also signed Trevor Letowski to a deal worth $725,000 a season for three years.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
McLean must have been enticed by Letowski, as Columbus was one of the three teams he actually scored on regularly. I suppose Nashville and Atlanta were banging down his door as well. Good riddance to that guy.

Marchant out of the running for Vancouver - that stinks. He would have made an excellent second-line center here. Less that 3mil a year for a player of that quality is a pretty good deal.

Burke better make a free-agent move fast, or he'll be duelling it out to secure the rights to Lubos Bartecko.

Any word on what Tampa Bay's Vaclav Prospal has been doing this off-season? Maybe a trip to Vancouver is in the cards.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Simple really....

If this is true then Burke should be fired immediatly.

Why wouldn't he go to Colorado? He obviously wants to win a Stanley Cup. He doesn't fcuking need money any more. He is fcuking rich. He knows he has NO hope in hell of winning a Stanley Cup in Vancouver with Ebenezer Burke running the show. I have a new favourite team behind Philly next year. Go Avalanche! :)

Burke sucks almost as much as his team. It's great the Canucks inked Jarko Ruttu to a deal today. That should solve most of their problems for next season. I was getting worried.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kariya is a Smart Kid

What kind of Signing Bonus did he get, I wouldn't doubt if it is in the 7 to 8 million dollar range.

Then he gets to play with Sakic, Forsberg, Selanie and the rest of the Ave stars, not to bad the last year before the NHL shuts down for who knows how long.

Try to win LORD STANLEY before everyone from the nhl head over to Europe while the strike is taking place.
watch, Naslund will bring Bert and Morison with him to his Swedish team.

Kariya would never sign with the Nucks, they are not 2-1 odds to win the Cup next year.
Beat he got a huge signing bonus too, even if they hide it somehow.

HOS

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
How about a TTP bet on Willhill?

If we all put $10 on this bet, we could win a lot of money. As of right now, these are the odds on Willhill for Colorado to win the Cup. This will surely change over the next day or two. Could we put $1000 down. Regs, could you quickly start up a TTP Credit Card. These odds are fcuking amazing right now. I will personally be putting $100 on this........

Stanley Cup 2003/04 - Outright

Bet Until : 23:59 30/05/04

Multibet Competitor Price Unit Stake

New Jersey Devils 7.00

Detroit Red Wings 7.00

Ottawa Senators 7.50

Colorado Avalanche 8.00

Vancouver Canucks 9.00

Dallas Stars 9.00

Philadelphia Flyers 13.00

Toronto Maple Leafs 15.00

St Louis Blues 15.00

Anaheim Mighty Ducks 19.00

Tampa Bay Lightning 21.00

N Y Rangers 21.00

Minnesota Wild 21.00

Edmonton Oilers 26.00

Boston Bruins 26.00

Washington Capitals 29.00

Los Angeles Kings 34.00

N Y Islanders 41.00

San Jose Sharks 51.00

Phoenix Coyotes 51.00

Montreal Canadiens 51.00

Chicago Blackhawks 51.00

Nashville Predators 67.00

Pittsburgh Penguins 81.00

Atlanta Thrashers 81.00

Florida Panthers 101.00

Columbus Blue Jackets 101.00

Carolina Hurricanes 101.00

Calgary Flames 101.00

Buffalo Sabres 101.00

Win Only

Show Betting Help/Rules Help - How Do I Use This Coupon?

BTW, I'm sure they'll sign Joseph once Hasek comes back. :)

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kariya gets 1.2 million this year. What do you think he will get next year. HMMMMM.. Forsber's last year and they are paying him 11 mill. He says this will be his last year. Therfore Kariya takes a pay cut this year and once Forsberg is off the books he re-signs next year for the big bucks again. Simple really and just maybe you throw in a Stanley Cup and he looks like a genius. Burke had no shot at signing Kariya, maybe Steve Kariya again.:rolleyes:

Parkhead

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Three Way Trade

Drury dealt by Flames in 3-team trade
TSN.ca Staff

The Calgary Flames traded forwards Chris Drury and Steve Begin to the Buffalo Sabres Thursday for Rhett Warrener and Steve Reinprecht, after the Sabres had acquired Reinprecht from the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for prospect Keith Ballard.

"In adding Rhett and Steve to our hockey club, we believe we have taken another step toward creating the identity we seek for the Calgary Flames," said Flames' coach and general manager Duane Sutter.

"Both players have Western Canadian roots and are in the 26-29 year old age group which I consider to be the most important on your club.

"Rhett is a big strong defenceman who is a key fit to strengthening our current group while Steve solidifies our centre position with offensive ability combined with a solid responsibility to the defensive game."

Keith Ballard, the Sabres first round pick, 11th overall in 2002, goes from Buffalo to Colorado. Ballard, a defenceman, has played for the last two years for the NCAA champion Minnesota Golden Gophers.

Steve Reinprecht comes this cheap? What are the Leafs/Canucks and everyone else, besides Buffalo, thinking about? After a big signing like the Kariya/Selanne one, you had to know that they have to make room for both of them on the roster and dump a salary. It's common sense.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0