Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New Youth HPL league

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bollocks

Oct 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bravedart,

Excellent post ... agree with pretty much most of what you're saying ... except:

same with North Delta, SurDel and SFC. They have ZERO history of cooperating with each and a very limited history of working cooperatively with others in their region (if at all). North Delta and SurDel have had decades to wrok together but it has never happend

This sentence above is wrong.

Bollocks

Oct 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bollocks
Sorry man everytime we have gone to the front desk at the reception at NAP all we have found is dis respect. There is no respect for volunteer coaches and the time they put in. Also please do PM me your number as I would definetly meet you before season ends and hopefully you can convince me to change y mind on how things are run and let's be honest I have never seen NAP fields this empty ever. Why did so many kids leave, I think it's all ours responsibility to makesure that we fix the system rather than focus too much on bashing others.

No need to apologize ...

As for NAP fields being empty, well all of our timeslots are full all week and every weekend except due to snow! I agree with your comment about working towards solutions ... let's meet up anytime. I should be easy to find at NAP!

Soccer Krazy

Jan 20, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
No need to apologize ...

As for NAP fields being empty, well all of our timeslots are full all week and every weekend except due to snow! I agree with your comment about working towards solutions ... let's meet up anytime. I should be easy to find at NAP!

It is so refreshing to hear that someone out of the SFC executive ( assuming you are in it) is willing to sit down and talk. I also hope that you are not alone in trying to bring back the good times because without naming every single person in that executive that I have ever met is arrogant and rude. I hope to see a lot of changes in the managment structure and way things are done. I know couple of executives have been coming to the fields and making an effort to talk to coaches but I think we need to see visible changes take effect and hopefully the negative graph will stop.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
BC soccer has a board room, most likley there. And yes it is tomorrow night. Many guys are itching to start. Back to old select soccer. After thirty five years. We get to see youth soccer games in the summer.
Fun times will come along with good soccer.

Soccer Krazy

Jan 20, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well as the brain trust of BC Soccer is now fully engaged in the AGM for HPL a few questions cross my mind.
a) would they think awarding 10 franchises rether than 8 as proposed. Shouldn't that be a good thing and see how all preform. This would definetly put HPL at NAP as I still believe that SOuth Fraser has a distinct advantage over SFC not only because they have 2000 members more in their bid but also the history of all those clubs workign togther in the past and the solid foundation that they have developed in the past few years. On the contrary SFC has been losing so much membership over the course of last 3 years they are litterary half of their size from 2007. Listening to Bollock there is some optimisim that things might change but if the rest of the group stay same a lot of unhappy people might not come back again next year leading to further slide. On the other hand it would give the North Fraser people time to shine aswell and showcase what their young programs have to offer.
b) If they stay with 8 where should the 8th franchise would come from Abby or PItt/GEUSC. Well the history goes in favour of Abby but their select program is not doing good at all. Also the lack of success the Y league had woudl also play a role in this. But I still think Abby is the front runner with the other group catching up. Rumor is that aldergroove might go with Surrey United now that leaves Abby only with Chiliwack and maybe 20 minutes drive to Cloverdale Athletic Park might be not that bad for talented players from Abby. They travel to SFU for the White caps prosoects anyways.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well as the brain trust of BC Soccer is now fully engaged in the AGM for HPL a few questions cross my mind.
a) would they think awarding 10 franchises rether than 8 as proposed. Shouldn't that be a good thing and see how all preform. This would definetly put HPL at NAP as I still believe that SOuth Fraser has a distinct advantage over SFC not only because they have 2000 members more in their bid
b) If they stay with 8 where should the 8th franchise would come from Abby or PItt/GEUSC. Well the history goes in favour of Abby but their select program is not doing good at all. Also the lack of success the Y league had woudl also play a role in this. But I still think Abby is the front runner with the other group catching up. Rumor is that aldergroove might go with Surrey United now that leaves Abby only with Chiliwack and maybe 20 minutes drive to Cloverdale Athletic Park might be not that bad for talented players from Abby. They travel to SFU for the White caps prosoects anyways.

Re: "A" - the bid totals will mean sweet-all considering there are no boundaries in HPL and that kids will go where they think they will be served best regardless of "affiliations." It's been clearly stated as 8 so I don't see any chance. 10 maybe if 2 more clubs can convince the incumbents to allow them entry. That would be whoever of the 11 is denied and probably Langley fighting it out for entry.

Re: "B" - yes Abby would be frontrunner - Ian Knight on pre/sub-committee for HPL, SYL, S20, PDL history, and geography etc etc. Also the younger Abby groups are doing just fine! u10 etc etc. Cloverdale isn't 20 minutes from Abby. Try 40-45 minimum. I lived on Whatcom for years driving that way and it was always that much. 20 minutes from highway exit to highway exit though. Making Whitecaps prospects is exceptional so I doubt anyone would really consider driving time in that. I knew a kid driving over 1.5 hours to Whitecaps from east of Chilliwack, so that is an aberration and not the rule. Re: "support" do you think a kid from Aldergrove would care who the Aldergrove club supports? These links mean little to nothing. The kids will play where they see it best for them.

Not to mention, if kids want to play HPL then Abby would be one of 8 options so good kids would move to play there if they can't or choose not to play for the team nearest them.

GEORDIE

May 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
a) would they think awarding 10 franchises rether than 8 as proposed. Shouldn't that be a good thing and see how all preform. This would definetly put HPL at NAP as I still believe that SOuth Fraser has a distinct advantage over SFC not only because they have 2000 members more in their bid but also the history of all those clubs workign togther in the past and the solid foundation that they have developed in the past few years. On the contrary SFC has been losing so much membership over the course of last 3 years they are litterary half of their size from 2007. Listening to Bollock there is some optimisim that things might change but if the rest of the group stay same a lot of unhappy people might not come back again next year leading to further slide. On the other hand it would give the North Fraser people time to shine aswell and showcase what their young programs have to offer.

What major affect could losing out on a HPL franchise have on clubs:
Maybe :

Loss of field times ?
Loss of players to other clubs ?
Loss of coach,s to other clubs ?

islandsoccer

Jan 13, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
What major affect could losing out on a HPL franchise have on clubs:
Maybe :

a-Loss of field times ?
b-Loss of players to other clubs ?
c-Loss of coach,s to other clubs ?

good questions and I have a few to add, but:

a) the assumption has been that the franchises have defined facilities so if it is a club or partnership they have to work around their HPL teams field times. The assumption is that these will be fields currently used by metro/SuperY so it should not impact Tier2 and 3...except Tier2 and 3 may have more teams in need of fields... time will tell

b) well technically yes and no. Player movement will happen but my guess is it won't be as drastic in year 1 as some may think, rather the assumption is more players will come back to Tier2 and that will cause a competition for spots so clubs may actually pick up players... in theory

c) loss of coaches, well, again we are talking about (hopefully) the elite coaches, these already have to be spelled out in the bid packages, coach movement happens from year to year anyway so it may in theory mean that the best coaches are moving up to coach the best players because the assumption is that renumerated coaching will be at Tier1 and less so at Tier2. On the other hand clubs with no Tier1 association/affiliation/partnership but aspirations of being promoted to Tier1 may want to continue to invest in their coaching programs!

My question is more around ensuring that the winning proposals can in fact form competitive teams in Tier1. Look at the Island teams, where is a LISA u14 metro girls team? not there, where is a UISA u15 girls team? not there. If a franchisee can't meet the obligation of fielding a team in each age group, what then? Will the league operator basically use the November-February time frame to ensure a full slate of teams in all divisions and what happens if one Franchisee can't fulfill that obligation? I doubt the other teams from the franchise would be revoked... suggestion would be to identify a 9th organization just in case! granted year 1 will have some kick ups!

Now let's see how February-April unfolds!

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyone know if the tryouts for hpl, which I understand will be in the next month or two will be U13 at the youngest end? IE; put simply, current U12's will be trying out for HPL in the next couple months?

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
^Be patient. The clubs who are awarded will post these sort of announcements well in advance of tryouts and will include DOB's.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

With the user pay system they are financing this thing on, you will already be hard pressed to get the best tallent into 8 teams. Under the current set-up, 10 teams will make the whole thing worse.

Amazing that so many don't see the flaws in this plan. Too many holes, not enough substance and planning.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude, 8 teams worth of players already tryout for the 6 SYL teams. That is 8 teams worth of players willing to pay over $1000 for a 3 month season. I would hazard a guess that 80% of SYL trialists are metro players then the kids are already paying over $2000....the cost is not the deterrent you think it is. As well, I have never seen a club turn away any player because they can't pay, let alone an HPL-level player. I have yet to be given an example of this happening. And, if you know a kid personally, well, send him to me because I can get him or her a club!

The major flaw I see is the u18 issue. I suggested on MondayMorningCentreback that the u17/u18 division simply be expanded. Ie, if u16 and younger is capped at 18 max then u17/u18 can be expanded to a roster of....whatever...30? To accomodate those that leave for university. It's not as though all u18 players will just up and leave/move on September 1st, but yes, many will. The goal of teams of course should be to help kids get scholarships...

TulioMaravilha

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Or you could do what Brazil and Spain (and I venture to say many other countries) do, put a bigger jump to older age groups.
Brazil has U15, U17 and them U20 (matching FIFA-sponsored youth tournaments), Spain chose to do U14, U16 and U19 (UEFA has a U19 championship).

In any case the effect would be the same: a wider multi-year age group at the top would dilute the effect of U18s leaving the system for post-secondary education (not a concern really in those countries) and better prepare these older players to the next step in their progression, adult soccer.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ya, maybe it is the u18 division is erased at the rep/metro level and a second-tier u18 HPL is developed to supplement the first tier u17/u18 HPL?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So in reality their current costs will double, is what you are saying. It won't be $1000 or $2000 or $3000...it'll be more like $5000 or $6000. And yes...I know a kid in your club (I think Abbotsford?) who Dad who's kid currently plays Metro, who is a well know former premier player himself and knows the game well, who likely won't bother w/ the HPL because of the costs.

You and I will never agree on this. I stand by the fact they are taking a flawed system and simply dressing it up under a different name, while increasing user pay costs. I agree a new HPL is needed, but something so poorly planned and w/ no substance.

The one good thing coming out of this is the season, but otherwise, they missed the boat on all fronts.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
^No. The advertised costs are $2500 for HPL - where did you get 3-6000 from my post? $2500 is no different than playing metro and SYL in one year so this dad who won't bother with HPL maybe didn't participate in both. Anyway, we don't have to agree, I just don't see where you get such high numbers based on what I wrote? I said $1000-ish for SYL and combine that with a clubs metro costs and you get just over $2000.

I see HPL as well planned barring the u18 "issue" but what I don't know is if it is being well distributed to the parents/players? Which, if that's the reality, then maybe it is poorly planned because they'd be priority #1. But I really don't know how various clubs are informing their members. Or are not informing the members as the case may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0