Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New Youth HPL league

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kool_Beans

Jan 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not suggesting that $3000 is not fair to play an elite sport. This is a huge jump for families, esp the U12s. Most families will jump from about $500 to $3000. Not everybody plays Super Y, WC prospects, TSS etc in the spring. I've spoken to a number of parents from different clubs and the interest varies from no interest to maybe 5-6 interested. From my daughters team alone there is only maybe 2-3 going to tryout. And this is from U13 Gold 1 teams with very talented athletes who play multiple sports. Let's be clear about this, HPL was created for the Whitecaps and the MENS National team. This has nothing to do with the girls. About the Whitecaps putting money into this program then all the players would 'belong' to them.

Is this an open vote to choose the franchises, meaning unlike FIFA do we get to see who voted for who and why?

As to the coaching: where do we find 80 'top notch' coaches for the 8 franchises? (5 age groups x 2 genders x 8 teams). From what I read: you can't coach your own kid.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh yes, sorry, I wasn't meaning to insinuate you though $3000 was too much. Other seem to...I agree. Top sports should be free or seriously subsidized when there is a professional organization benefiting directly from it. I don't see an issue with WFC owning players in HPL. What is downside?

I'd be surprised if some parents are not coaching teams that has their kid on them. It will happen. With checks and balances that can be very successful. Parent-coaches are critical! Heck, I've got 3 assistants who are parent-coaches, and I've asked them all to go get their pre-B completed....or work to complete it. They are needed! But yes, in a perfect world there will be no teams with a coach who has a kid on the team.

Re: "not for the girls." I think if the girls start to see scholarships come from HPL they'll change their tune. That is a critical part of this that should be addressed by the HPL committee. Ie, how will they support scholarship searches etc.

But you know, I've said before - some boys and girls who play multi-sports and will now choose NOT to play elite soccer because it interferes with baseball or what have you...well, maybe they shouldn't be in the elite league then because they are essentially rec players. How committed are they to the sport if they are willing to leave it because it interferes with softball? They have to ask themselves "will softball or soccer help me achieve my goals more?" Which will give scholarships. If that is even desired. Maybe it is there are gold and silver level players that aren't elite, but want to be and are totally committed that are more appropriate for HPL as it is meant to serve the "most committed." This goes for both boys and girls. It's a hard line, but you know, that's life. People very rarely get to do one job they love over spring, and one job they love over summer. It's one or the other. Not many people get to live in a Whistler Chalet over winter and a Caicos beach over summer...it's a lesson in life and it's an important one my own kids will learn. Can't always have everything you want!

I wonder re: the open vote too! :)

islandsoccer

Jan 13, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
. Let's be clear about this, HPL was created for the Whitecaps and the MENS National team. This has nothing to do with the girls. About the Whitecaps putting money into this program then all the players would 'belong' to them.

I agree with you. Those parents "of means" with motivated girls will invest in part out of the sense of providing an opportunity they may never have had so its incumbent that the concept of Elite sport not just develop exceptional athletes but also well rounded individuals.

If the aim is College Soccer and hopefully top top tier be it MLS, WPS etc the numbers of players that will reach that level are 1, maybe 2 or 3 in any age group.

But we can all dream and work towards the dream...

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Islandsoccer , due to tonns of trips for Island clubs. What do you think your coast per player per season will be. You guys and Interior clubs will have to charge more.

GEORDIE

May 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
As of 5PM at the deadline, here's the bids:

Abbotsford Soccer Association
- Coquitlam Metro-Ford Soccer Club
- Lower Island Soccer Association / Upper Island Soccer Association
- North Shore / Burnaby
- Pitt Meadows Soccer Club / Golden Ears United Soccer Club
- South Fraser Soccer Club
- Sportstown FC
- SurDel Pegasus FC
- Surrey United Soccer Club
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Vancouver / Richmond

I would imagine there may be one or 2 more to get in at the deadline (the above list is from 3PM apparently).

SurDel / Surrey FC is an interesting partnership.

Peace Arch/Semiahmoo are missing from the above list. Are they partnering up with one of the Surrey clubs ?

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can't they keep the costs down if they (a) don't stay overnight for the Lower Mainland trips and (b) carpool rather than take buses?? They need not collect fees for the "travel" at the beginning of the year, but rather on an "as-needed" basis (ie, per trip). Requires a dedicated manager and a team bank account but still...eliminate the bus rental, load up vans etc.

islandsoccer

Jan 13, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can't they keep the costs down if they (a) don't stay overnight for the Lower Mainland trips and (b) carpool rather than take buses?? They need not collect fees for the "travel" at the beginning of the year, but rather on an "as-needed" basis (ie, per trip). Requires a dedicated manager and a team bank account but still...eliminate the bus rental, load up vans etc.

My understanding is that is already being done by a part time [paid] Selects Program Coordinator in the LISA office. Carpooling to the Ferry then bus on the other side is the norm. Only stay over situations would be during sat/sun games on the mainland.

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
As of 5PM at the deadline, here's the bids:
Abbotsford Soccer Association
- Coquitlam Metro-Ford Soccer Club
- Lower Island Soccer Association / Upper Island Soccer Association
- North Shore / Burnaby
- Pitt Meadows Soccer Club / Golden Ears United Soccer Club
- South Fraser Soccer Club
- Sportstown FC
- SurDel Pegasus FC
- Surrey United Soccer Club
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Vancouver / Richmond
I would imagine there may be one or 2 more to get in at the deadline (the above list is from 3PM apparently).
SurDel / Surrey FC is an interesting partnership.

Gregor Young predicts, on his blog, that Sportstown will get rejected and that 2 of three groups, North Frser, South Frser and Surdel Surrey FC will also get rejected. Could be be some intersting betting going on.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
My understanding is that is already being done by a part time [paid] Selects Program Coordinator in the LISA office. Carpooling to the Ferry then bus on the other side is the norm. Only stay over situations would be during sat/sun games on the mainland.

Ya that's excellent if so! I have no clue what's cheaper - carpool and bus on other side, or just carpool the entire distance? Probably depends on if you guys are going to Okanagan or Richmond, you know? A bus to OK would probably be very expensive?

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gregor Young predicts, on his blog, that Sportstown will get rejected and that 2 of three groups, North Frser, South Frser and Surdel Surrey FC will also get rejected. Could be be some intersting betting going on.

Ya, I quite like his blog, it's a good one.

Ya, I predict Surdel will get it over North and South Fraser. ANyway, half-time of MOTD MUFC v. THFC!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gregor Young is a putz.

:D

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that there will be at least one "shocker", a bid that many think is a shoe-in (for whatever reason) will be rejected.

islandsoccer

Jan 13, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ya that's excellent if so! I have no clue what's cheaper - carpool and bus on other side, or just carpool the entire distance? Probably depends on if you guys are going to Okanagan or Richmond, you know? A bus to OK would probably be very expensive?
Ideally for Mainland/Island: a POSSIBLE solution would be for home/away Island teams arrange Mainland bus in Swartz Bay and mainland arrange in Tswassen for Victoria based teams etc - maybe that is how it is being done already (assuming someone thinks collaboratively ;)

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
League travel pool sounds about right... the only way to ensure that this entity stays viable in all the regions of the Province that it is supposed to work in is to try to find a way to equalize the travel costs. Bus company sponsorship?

Travel philosophy will probably be the same as other leagues operating provincially have used in the past: road trips involve both a Saturday and a Sunday game. Get used to cheap motel stayovers, kids. We did.;)

GEORDIE

May 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money

There will be some serious club switching by players if their club misses out on a HPL franchise. I think i read in an earlier post that there were gonna be no boundaries. There should be some rules in place about switching .

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money

can't have boundaries, at least not if you're wanting the best of the best to be making up the league. Some kids will have to travel yes but the alternative, for example, you may have a very super talented ( "stacked" ) team in Surrey and four top notch players who didn't quite make the cut there, and another team elsewhere where their bottom four could / should be bumped by the likes of the four from Surrey.

Sounds tough but, IF the goal is to have the best of the best, it has to be this way no?

GEORDIE

May 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
can't have boundaries, at least not if you're wanting the best of the best to be making up the league. Some kids will have to travel yes but the alternative, for example, you may have a very super talented ( "stacked" ) team in Surrey and four top notch players who didn't quite make the cut there, and another team elsewhere where their bottom four could / should be bumped by the likes of the four from Surrey.

Sounds tough but, IF the goal is to have the best of the best, it has to be this way no?

Agreed , i suppose if a parent is willing to travel to get his kid into a HPL team then thats fine.
I predict alot of Surrey based players making it onto different HPL teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0