Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Netherlands vs Spain Final: Dream Matchup?

Is Netherlands vs Spain going to be a cracker?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The original masters of Total Football vs the current masters of Total Football.

Fair statement?

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sad to not see the Germans in the final, but it will be nice to see a first time winner.

That being said, I think this one is going to PK's.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't see it going to PK's, both teams have been exposed at the back a few times throughout the tourney and both have excellent attacking options.

This will come down to focus and keeping, something I'm going to have to give to Spain.

Hup Holland Hup!

outkast

Jan 30, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
2 GA in 6 games for Spain. Im not sure how 'exposed' they have really been....regardless I agree its not going to PK's. Should be a great final with two very worthy sides.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
exposed in that paraguay game in as far as a pk, exposed in as far as the swiss game, which they dominated but gave up a goal via route 1 football and shocking defending, and they gave up a goal in the Chile game. To be honest they were really tight today, but I suspect that had more to do with having the ball all day, and the German youth struggling with what precious little time they had with the ball.

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Actually I think against the Swiss it was more of shocking goalkeeping. Why Casillas was going feet first in the box when if he went in hands first he could have grabbed it I can't figure out. Reina and Valdes are better goalies but Casillas is the "golden boy" and captain so he's annointed the #1 regardless of the others abilities. He might win all the big tournies with another win but I must say he is very overrated and lucky he plays behind all these great teams.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
Some jackass commentator said of Casillas after he made that late save vs Chile: That's why he's the best keeper in the world!

Erm, hey jackass, how did the Chilean get the opportunity?

:rolleyes:

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Spain aren't exactly lighting it up in terms of goals. Their GA is very good granted, unfortunetly like any big final, I think it'll be a bit of a snoozer and be a 1-0 at best. For Holland of course. Perhaps 1-1 with some extra time heroics/PK's.

I think ZGermans would have been a much tougher match for the Dutch because of how organized they were at the back and how lethal they've been on the counter especially with Holland exposing themselves at the back because of the their errr "reckless" attacking. I think Spain gives Holland a better chance to win.

I think too much though.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I do not know why there is this discussion about Casillas et al. According to this guy (quote) "Tim Howard is the best goaltender in the world, he just happens to be an American"...seems quite credible to me...:

Last edited by a moderator:

4thplacetrophy

Mar 3, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Howard over iker. Ummmm that's why one got sold by united and hasn't won a thing and the other has the chance to add a wc to am already Stella trophy collection. Iker is one of the best in the world behind very few keepers IMO.

Titan4Life

Mar 24, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
And now that we are back focused on the thread...

I've always been a supporter of the Dutch. One of the best footballing countries never to win a WC. Although Spain could probably say the same thing in the past 10 years. I think that Spain is a better team, but until yesterday, hadn't put it all together. Then again neither have the Dutch...just squeeking out games throughout the trounie....

The more you look at it, this should be a very even match up. Two great teams, who haven't played their best yet in the tournament. If they do, it will be a hell of a match up. If not, I see a 1-0 or 2-1 game.

Who knows? Just my thoughts.... and as posted before....thinking is over-rated!!!

GO HOLLAND!

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Webb has been the best in the tournament so far. What a year for him ........ Champions League Final and now the World Cup Final. Great achievement

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
My Fathers Nation and Name I Carry makes me German...But My Moms Dutch so GO HOLLAND!
Actually I am real happy to see 2 Countries who have never won in the final....
And I think it will be a better game than the German/Spain Game..I mean It has to be.

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Definitely a dream matchup for FIFA and UEFA and in my opinion for true football fans. Two footballing juggernauts who previously have never taken home the trophy meet in a final, in Africa, and after a tournament which for me has been VERY enjoyable despite my team crashing out ignominiously. Either way we have a new first time champion and that feat alone is positive for the game.

For the rest of the footballing world, S. America in particular, it is not a dream final. 2 straight all UEFA finals means something is wrong with the way they play football/select teams etc. This was looking like S.America's tourney until Europe impressively flexed its muscles in the quarter finals. And good riddance too. I can't stand Brazil and their Joga Bonito bullshit.

Lastly, I can't help but notice the shift from defensive football to aggressive, free flowing footbal with defence not only tough as nails but also able to join the attack. Now if only we could get rid of this diving business and find a way to eliminate missed calls that affect the outcome of the match significantly we'd have a game that is head, shoulders, knees and toes above anything else in the sporting world!

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Go New Zealand.....Spain wins and the Zealand is the only country without a loss this world cup

Parade for New Zealand Monday Morning

Bigun

Aug 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great match-up and one that I'd hoped for at euro 2008 before the Dutch (sans robben) lost to Russia. Quite possibly one of the best midfield battles ever seen. Xavi, Xabi, Iniesta vs Schneider, Robben, Kuyt. De Jong and Van Bommel need to be huge in their ability to disrupt the Spanish playmakers.

Go Holland.

Here is one of the best quotes I've seen from a pro- Dutch pundit...

"I think Robben will use Ramos the way Henry Miller used whores—regularly, disdainfully, and with high-handed disregard."

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts