Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MWSL Results 2001/2002/2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canadians report

Canadians A defeated Premier newcomers Poco FC 4-1 this morning at Terry Fox HS. Burnaby tallies by Kelty Linnen with two, Paige Pratt and Kristin Woron. Canadians controlled most of the play. Pratt had a cracker of a match in her Burnaby league debut. Robyn Scott also played well in her first game at stopper, filling in for Gill Hicks, who's out with a torn ACL, courtesy of Seahawks Stadium (she now has something in common with Trent Dilfer... and it's not number of zeros on her paycheque).

Burnaby is struggling for players right now. They had two division one call ups on the park today. University, college and injuries might wreak havoc on the early season.

Big match versus UBC this Sunday afternoon on the turf.

The "B" side takes on this same Poco team on Sunday. They had a bye today.

Canadian D1 got off to a good start with a 1-0 win over NS Red Sox. Kim Gray scored the only goal off a nifty set-up from the head of Ontario import Liz Frank. Jackie Hicks was a tower of strength in Caps midfield all game. 16 year old Brielan Smiechowski recorded the clean sheet, with limited work.

No word on the D2 team as of yet.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Something in Common

Originally posted by Fat Bastard
...Gill Hicks, who's out with a torn ACL, courtesy of Seahawks Stadium (she now has something in common with Trent Dilfer... and it's not number of zeros on her paycheque).

If it is not 0's in the paycheque's, then it must be that they both love big hairy lineman and new turf fields;) .

Good result for the girls today, I hope that they can have everything sorted out by Oct. when they head back east to defend the title.

You say BBY. Girls vs. UBC Toonies next Sunday, who do the
UBC girls have this year.

HOS

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I heard and saw

Surrey United beat Westside 8-0 at Hillcrest and heard that UBC beat Bravedarts new comers, White Rock(??) 14-0. Welcome to the league BD. ;)

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Div 1B

Westside Renegades 5 - 3 M & J Selects

It was a pleasure to watch a hard fought and closely contested game this afternoon inspite of the rain and the fact I was in New Westminster. With the Shooters also winning their opener 2-0, it's going to be a fantastic battle between the two Div 1 Westside teams in the group of death (including Vancouver Only, Vancouver Breakers, Meraloma, Delta United, and of course M & J).

What a group! :eek:

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Umm yeah.....

Did I hear KNVB right? 14 bagel for UBC? Yikes. I assume Bravedart will be busy watching his Coerver videos today and not posting on here!:(

SU div 1 lost with Kylee (former premier keeper) playing as a field soldier...if she does this all year, I take back my prediction of them winning their division.

Suggestion for the MWSL's problem with lack of players while college kids are tied up (see FB's post about Bby): Play some games on Friday nights or Saturdays and promote the youth teams (U17, U18) to send players up on permit. I would be more than happy to have a couple of my Burnaby U18 metro girls go up to the Canadians on a Saturday afternoon (our league plays Sunday) this early in the season. Obviously closer to cup play wouldn't work, but by then the regulars from college are back anyways. Just a thought...and a reason to dent my soapbox this morning:)

CD

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
not on sunday

Play some games on Friday nights or Saturdays
This makes far too much sense for the MWSL. It seems anytime someone tries to deviate from the Holy 10:00am Sunday kickoff time, the other teams go into a state of panic.
Night games have completely changed mens soccer, from the perspective that it creates a more professional, and fan-friendly atmosphere. Friday nights at Mundy 4 are brilliant, regardless of who is playing.
I'd like to see a few of the MWSL teams going to Saturday nights, so as not to conflict with the Friday mens games. It would be interesting to see how the league would respond to such a request.

CD'ssoapboxisawfullycrowdednowthatFBisonboard

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Surrey U. keeper

Anyone know who was keeping goal for Surrey on the weekend. Is Nicci back?
I was surprised to hear Kylee had dropped down a level. Maybe time for a change I suppose, she's been playing Premier for a long time now. She did play well in the BC final last year. No way she could have stopped that shot from KJ.

bravedart

Aug 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
UBC vs SEMIAHMOO

The actual score was 12-0 (6 in each half).

Although the score looks very bad it should be noted that we played the entire game with only 10 players (due to registration screwups on my behalf) and played maybe a total of 25 minutes with only 9. We are all untested at this level and it showed but there was some positive play by our young team that in the end did not match the talented Sportstown side.

With this first game behind us we are all that much more prepared for next week.

Cartdriver,

Food idea about the Fri/Sat games. We are working woth our U-18 metro team but the players we can pull up depends on the time of their games and the teams they are playing> We could only manage to get 1 player from them this weekend and that was our keeper, who thoroughly enjoyed the game. It would definitely help these young players to develop.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Who is the fcuking idiot that coached UBC?

What kind of a knob runs up a score against 10 players? My U-18 girls had to play with 10 players in a tournament on the Sept. long weekend for a variety of reasons. Unfortunately, the dickhead who coached Abbotsford thought this was a great chance to run the score up. Parents were yelling " Get another one", "Let's see if we can get Rochelle her fifth goal"....and that kind of shite. We ended up losing 7 - 0 and we finished with 9 players. Coaches like this should be fined/suspended for lacking class. In UBC's case, I don't know who to blame more; the players or the coach. It must have been very rewarding to score the 11th and 12th goal.

Last year, we went up 6 - 0 at the half against some shocking team. The score ended up 8 - 0 only because we got a penalty in the second half. There are so many things a coach can do to avoid letting their team humiliate another squad. Anyway, keep your head up, Bravedart. There aren't a lot of coaches who are in the game for the right reason. You're one of them.

Captain

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
one dozen to bagel

As a coach, I hate to see my team run up the score. I also hate to be on the wrong end of those scores too. UBC has enough skill to hold back in such instances. The 5-goal-max rule in the MWSL should take away the incentive to run the score up. It's a shame the UBC side couldn't see past themselves to do the "right" thing for this struggling league. Hey, I'm all in favour of giving a team a good thumping, but common sense, class and "Fair Play" should prevail at some point.

As a coach of a new and young Premier team, I know that I could be in for the same fate in two weeks when we play UBC. Hey, Bravedart, just keep your girls' heads up. That's what I'll tell my players. They're the future of this league, not Tammy, Andrea et al.

Here's another one... last year SBAA U21 beat GEU 18-0. That's a goal every five minutes! The SBAA coach was/is part of the BCSA all-star staff. What does that say?

FBnotlookingforwardtonextSundayatToddField:(

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
not much to laugh at

In UBC's case, I don't know who to blame more; the players or the coach.

Ten bucks says that all the players didn't even touch the field:rolleyes:

+EXAlumplayerspeakingfromexperience

Cart my friend, it gets better, it really does:)

Good luck the rest of the season!

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Pride and a Ride, to the Emergency

Originally posted by Fat Bastard
As a coach, I hate to see my team run up the score. I also hate to be on the wrong end of those scores too. UBC has enough skill to hold back in such instances.

You want to run the score up, put your shines on because you are going to need them.

As a coach, I would never tell my players to go out and settle a SCORE on a PISS Take, but as a player, I would not stand for it, and a Biography would be writen about it. Thanks Keeno.

Hey, keep playing in any game you are involved in, but if you think you can run up the score, watch out for your ankles, shines, kness, and heeds.

Bottom Line, If he score is up there, run the game out, and don't take the piss, if you do, run the chance of the Brawl.

HOS:knvb:

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This all coming from a keeper. Honestly, what are you going to do when you've been rounded for the 11th time? Fcuking goalie. :rolleyes:

I've, unfortunately been in a 10 bagel rout and I don't know what's worse a couple of players taking the piss out of you in the middle of the park by running you in circles or by running up the score. At least if they are scoring you only feel half the fool. Trust me on this one.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A suggestion...

Captain, or others, if you want to prepare your young ladies for the Big league next year, throw in a few exhibition games with some of the new Premier ladies teams.
(I have more suggestions, but maybe that's why you won't answer your PMs)hmmmmmmmm. Prep will be the best thing here.

Fatty, we all know that the league doesn't revolve around two players, it's the "team" that will win the games, not the indiv. talent.:rolleyes:

I believe any squad can take it with the right leadership on/off the field. Just look at the underdogs back in 95/96 that went all the way and took Nationals in 1 year. Only to mention that less than 3/4 of the team only had Provincial level experience.

It's all heart baby...

Sorry, I cannot forget the relatively new Canadians squad that also took over and won nationals withing 2 seasons:wa:

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A Nice ELBOW Sandwich

Originally posted by knvb
This all coming from a keeper. Honestly, what are you going to do when you've been rounded for the 11th time? Fcuking goalie. :rolleyes:

This can be used at the start of a nil-nil match or can be very usefull in a 11-nil match, take your pick.
My suggestion, if knvprick is involved, use the elbow early.

:wa:

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Running it up....

This debate has taken a life of it's own over running up the score. I have played on the pitch and coached on both sides of tilted scores. A few years ago in a Kamloops tourny, I joined a few div 1-3 level guys for what was described to me as a "camping/drinking/fun" weekend...we show up at the park after many cold ones the night before and find we were wrongly entered in the competitive div. So we got run...9-0, even one game we scored but lost 8-1. And I tell ya, I would much rather see a team knock it around with us trying to play D....than picking 8 balls out of our twine! As a coach, I was in a game (just last weekend as my girls were playing some gold/silver entries in a METRO tourny) where we were up 4-0 10 minutes in. For godsake, I was still putting my balls back in the bag from warmup! I made some changes so my defenders got runs up front, my sensitive strikers all of a sudden were marking backs, and the goal was to switch the full field of play through 4 of our players at least 2-3 times before attempting a cross in (we even played with 10 the last 20 minutes when they lost one due to injury). This game ended 5-0, but if I had the Alumni mentality from Sunday, would've been 12-0! Maybe they are out to prove something after taking some TKO's the last two years?

Speaking of UBC, I heard they are loaded up with "18 somethings" with the mindset of rebuilding with a few of the veterans leading the way? Rumor has it that the BCSA/CSA went to 2 local 15 year olds who are in the National pool and told them they had to play up a few years to get better, so they are now warming Alumni's bench? Haven't see Alumni play yet, but if these girls are sitting/watching, is this best for their development? Needless to say, the Surdel metro coach wasn't pleased to lose these two after his tryouts were done.

BTW HOS, you'll be happy to know I accidentally ran KNVB when he was tending the twine in a co-ed game, and I got razzed by him and his team mates about "running keepers" and them being "untouchable". Found that quite amusing.

CDsorryforlongpostbuthasalottosaytoday:rolleyes:

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So you're the clown. It was co-ed for fcuk sakes and you're crashing the goalie?? I never though for a million years I would have even had to worry about it there thus my complete surprise. I'll leave it at that. BTW, HOS played in net the second half of that game.

Fat bastard, Kylee decided to play out for div 1 to "re-charge." As far as I know it's only for this year, but you never know. For some reason though, I thought she was going to still play premier on a part time basis (in net) until they got whom ever back to replace her.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Speaking of UBC, I heard they are loaded up with "18 somethings"
One of them tried out for the Burnaby "B" team. She would have played 90 for that side, but chose to carry the balls for UBC. That makes a ton of sense.
We'll get a better idea this weekend when UBC takes on the defending champs. Burnaby is undermanned and may be ripe for the picking.

Surrey Utd. 8 - Westside 0
What's up with Westside. They usually start well and finish poor. Doesn't bode well for their season. But their D1 side, the Shooters look great. Besty's ladies are better than some Premier teams!

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Clowns make me laugh!

KNVB...if I remember correctly, I was at the top of the box STANDING with my back to the goal, turned to attack a long ball and found a pair of gloves in my face. You went down hard though...quite amusing. If that makes me a clown for ACCIDENTALLY knocking you down, I am so sorry. But I digress, the co-ed thread has been beaten to death for the year. See you at the circus!

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0