Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MWSL Results 2001/2002/2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
ref reports

Here's how the process should work...

1. Send in reports, positive or negative ones. However, let's not try to be PC about this, the negative reports are more vital than the postive ones.

2. If one referee receives an abnormal number of poor reviews, such as three in a season, then the MWSL has somebody watch his/her next game. Not necessarily a formal assessement, but a "performance review", although a BCSRA assessment would be just fine. These reviews should be conducted by veteran or former top-level officials: a person such as Neil Ellett, who has been involved with this league for many, many years.

3. If the performance review is subpar, then the reviewer should recommend a line of action to be taken: stop using the ref, send the ref for further training, use the ref in lower division games only, or as an assistant, whatever. We should be trying to help train the refs too, not just eliminating them.

Just my $0.02

Referee

Oct 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Feedback to the league is welcomed. But the sad reality of it is that the only reports the league receives are the negative or the bitching reports. No team wants to write in to compliment referees. 99% of the negative referee feedbacks are from the losing team. Me, John Jukes and a few others have been having the task of replying to some of these reports. Once they understand the Laws of the Game, they seem fine with it.

MWSL sponsors referee courses for teams and players. The last one held, 25 of the 31 participants were players from the adult leagues including MWSL. If there are enough interests, another one can be setup. There is one being setup in March in Vancouver. Let the league know.

The leagues need more positive feedbacks about referees. It is those referees that continues to officiate in the Premier and Division One.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
One other thing...

I don't think the MWSL directors all take this matter seriously. To my knowledge, none of the current directors are qualified referees (please correct me if I am wrong), but the directors who review the referee performances pass judgement as they see fit, and do not deal with the game reports in a consistent manner.

Example... I have sent four reports on a specific N.Van ref in the past 24 months. I had him for a summer game two years ago. Two Premier league games last year. One Premier game this year. And a Premier Cup game last year. This referee doesn't wear a proper uniform (a black sweatshirt or t-shirt, and sometimes yellow socks). He doesn't seem to know the rules (using drop balls like they're face-offs in hockey). He doesn't understand referee positioning, as he spends much of the game on the sidelines or right off the park - no diagonal. When he has assistants, he doesn't use them. Because he calls the game from sideline positions, he ignores the assistant and calls the offsides and ins-and-outs on his own. Frankly, this level of officiating is embarrassing - you'd never see it in a mens game - especially at the premier level.

How this guy is a Class 3 (probably isn't) and can get through assessements. which last I checked were supposed to be mandatory, is beyond me!

Any the moral of the story is... When I complained to one of the directors about this guy in the summer, I was told that he was a nice guy, tries hard and the players like him. Keep in mind, this director has been primarily involved with third division for the past several years, and maybe this level of officiating is acceptable at div.3, but in what is arguably the top women's league in Canada, it is clearly unacceptable. Nevertheless, we continue to see this man referee Premier games.

It is instances such as this, that make people like me not bother filling in the reports. Further, as a former referee, while I know first-hand that anyone can have an off-game, it happens, I think we deserve a referee who can carry himself in a manner that respectful to the players and of the game, and conducts himself as a professional. Remember, the referees are the only people out here getting paid. That should count for something.

That's two more cents:D

By the way for the record, I support most refs. I'll argue a bad call, but I only get really upset with the referees that don't care or don't know, or disrespect the game or the players, or manage the game in such a way where my players are at risk of injury. Blown calls are frustrating for sure, but ask yourself this the next time you berate a young up-and-coming referee: How many shots did you or your team miss today? How many goals did you give up? How many times did you make the wrong substitution? Lots of mistakes happen in our beautiful game, remember that keep in perspective what is really important: the integrity of the game and the safety of the players.

whore

Dec 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lets face it, refs can lose games for teams sometimes. I played a game where the ref awarded my team 3 PK's in a game and I can honestly say that only 1 was warranted. I'm not sure what the other team did to piss this guy off but it definatly showed. very 1 sided. This worked in my benefit for that one game but I have also been on the other end. (never that bad, but still frustrating for the winning team as well!)

This weekend we had a ref who couldn't make up his mind as to which team he was going to "help". He flipped back and forth with such wierd calls that both teams were just laughing at him. Which in turn, made him even more mad and flustered. I don't think it is always losing teams that have beefs. It's no fun to win a game when the other team was robbed of calls, only to hear "if the refing was better it would have been a better game"

Sometimes it is hard to tell the diffrence between mediocre and good. It's all what you are used to.:rolleyes:

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is beginning to turn into a thread unto itself.

The conversation has guilted me into filling out my referee report for yesterday's game. It will be a positive report. He made some mistakes - but so did my team, which is why we lost. In my opinion, the ref blew one when he didn't call a foul on tackle just inside the box - with the score 2-1 Surrey.

But you know what, it was a great game. Both teams played the game the way it's supposed to be played. It was intense, there was feeling, the players showed skill, they showed heart and they played to win.

All of that was made possible because the referee managed the game perfectly. He communicated well. He laid down the law when he needed to (giving out on caution), letting the players play when the situation dictated it.

I think you can judge a referee's ability by how good the game was. You cannot have a good game with bad officiating - because generally, poor officiating means no flow - too many fouls, not enough fouls, etc. Even if a referee blows a handful of calls, if the quality of the game overshadows that, then he's done his job.

FBgoingtowww.metrowomenssoccer.comtofilloutreport!

Ssweeper

Jul 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Feedback

I am a referee so I live in a perfect world:eek:

Feedback is welcomed>maybe it should be mandatory on occasion.
If coaches do an honest (perfect world again)assessment of a referee and come up with a high mark or a low mark they should be obligated to send a report. I know there are lots of games out there and it would become a paper nightmare if you received reports from every game but if some sort of criteria was developed it may become manageable.

I am not preaching elimination(harsh word)of some referees-far from it- but it appears the boat is leaking and you are content to keep bailing when a repair is required.

FB"s 2 cents worth at least a dime.
I agree with you. Weed out was a poor choice of words.

Ssweeper

Jul 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Assessments

FB

Assessments are not mandatory if you are content to stay a class 3 or 4.
Refreshers are however mandatory if you wish to renew your BCSA registration.However attendance is the only requirement. There are no exams etc.
Check out the BCSA site technical/referee etc. on the eligibility criteria.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Burnaby Derby II

Canadians A vs. Pansies in the second installment of the Burnaby Derby 2002-03.

The defending champs came out on top 4-1. The score wasn't as close as the first meeting (2-0) but the game was far more entertaining - and certainly wasn't without feeling, similar to a match between the heavyweight champ and his old sparring partner.

The A-side jumped out to an early lead on a Lynsey Burkinshaw goal. However, that appeared to wake the youngsters up and, combined with some complacency from the top team, they were able to generate some momentum through the rest of the half. Dani Tabo equalized with 20 to go in the 1st when she chipped a surprised Canadians A keeper, Claire Lawrence, from 35 yards.

However, the 2001 Canadian champs were not going to be upstaged by their young club mates, and came out on fire in the second. In 20 minute span midway through the half, Canadians A tallied three times. Paige Pratt headed home two, the first from a wonderfully struck Robyn Scott free kick, and the other from a Robyn Scott corner. Phebe Trotman had a goal sandwiched in between the Pratt markers (albeit an offside one at that).

A well-played game all in all. A little choppy at times with some hard tackles, but a game with definite pace and some nice ball movement.

Burnaby A clinches third place and the Pansies cinch up 8th:rolleyes:, setting up BC qualifying meeting between the two on March 23rd. It's too bad, from a club perspective, to see these two meet in that game, although Burnaby is guaranteed to be represented in the Provincial QF's. Both coaches would have been quite happy with a draw, but apparently the Canadians A players didn't get the memo!;)

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canadians getting sick of each other??

Hey FB.....are the Burnaby A & B teams getting tired of each other yet?? And now meeting in cup play too?? Good chance for you to see the Extreme A team and their farm team counterparts on the same field though?:p :D

You never answered my question about the Premier B pool?! You said "I was coming into the league"......but when does the MWSL make these groupings for next year official?? Have you heard anything I haven't? And when are they confirming who is in or not?? Our BGSC club is willing to support with fields, unis, equipment, and other resources....but they also want to get more field space allotted for me if this happens.

Heard a rumour at the field yesterday that Danny is not coaching winter league soccer next year and will just coach summer (Extreme?!)? Any tidbits??

CDheardwaytoomanyMWSLrumoursyesterday:D ;) :(

:wa:

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
results?

has it really been that slow?

Can someone post some results, I only have limited time to log on, and, well, TTP takes the cake over the MWSL site:rolleyes:

Thanks in advance:)

+SCwantingtoknowwhattheBC'saregoingtolooklike:confused:

I guess I actually miss FB on this forum

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
MWSL Province Cup reps set

The four provincial cup entries are...

1. Sportstown UBC Alumni (by virtue of winning the league)

2. Surrey United FC (by virtue of a very close 2-1 win over Burnaby Canadians B)

3. Burnaby Canadians A (by virtue of a not-so-close 5-0 thumping of Westside)

4. SBAA Saints (by virtue of an upset win - if you can call it an upset - over Poco, 4-1)

Don't know who the island reps are, or when the Cup draw will be. UBC has to be favourites right now.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Surrey U. 2 Burnaby B 1

#2 vs. #8 on paper has all the makings of another MWSL 5-0 scoreline. But what happened instead was quite frankly a cracker of a match.

Surrey narrowly escaped with their Provincial Cup lives intact, with a 2-1 win over a very feist Burnaby B side, with the winner scored in the second minute of injury time.

Surrey was on the attack for most of the match - as is their style, and Burnaby defended very well, keeping touches down and getting the ball out of trouble at first opportunity. Surprisingly, perhaps, was the fact that Burnaby managed to generate the odd chance or two.

First half was scoreless, with play very close, but Surrey definitely had better scoring chances.

The second half started with 15 minutes of all Surrey. Bianca Wilkinson opened the scoring with a nifty little header over the rushing Burnaby keeper.

However, rather than folding up like HOS after a few two many pints, Burnaby rallied and drew even with about 20 minutes to go. It wasn't a thing of beauty but Wendy Hawthorne gave up a rebound that bounced in off Burnaby's Christine Yeung from 12 yards out. (They all count!)

Although Burnaby managed a couple of chances through to the end of the game, admittedly it was pretty much all Surrey the last fifteen minutes. They were finally rewarded with a "lucky" goal from Diana Artuso - gotta be good to be lucky, I suppose.

A tough loss, as we really had upset on our minds as time winded down. Nonetheless, gotta give props to my girls for giving Surrey a good game and a pretty decent scare.

Still, it was a good game, exciting and damn fun to coach. God, I love Cup soccer.

Iknow,FBsaidhewasdone...butsodamnproud,hadtospeakout!

Six of One

Jan 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Division 1 Cup Finals

In women's cup play, teams were placed in 8 groups of 4 and played a round robin. The top 2 teams in each group advanced to the championship round of 16 and the bottom 2 teams in each group were placed in a consolation round of 16. The finalists were determined this past weekend:

Consolation Final Mar 30 10:00 @ Noel Booth
Westside Renegades vs. Vancouver Only

Championship Final Mar 30 12:00 @ Noel Booth
Meralomas A vs. Westside Shooters

Interesting that all 4 teams are from Division 1B.

Brew

Dec 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
These fields have actually been posted TBA, I think the league is trying to find us a field closer to home. Hopefully that is what will happen.

GO SHOOTERS!!!!!!:wa:

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cup Finals

I think the fields are confirmed. I know a special permit was attained and certainly would look bad to back out on it. Plus, the way the weather has been going of late, Valley fields are much more likely to be playable.

But what's up with the final games being spread out over different venues on different weekends. Last year, and just about every year in the past, the Cup Finals weekend has been an event.

It's a shame really. It would have been a great weekend of soccer, with seven Championship games and a four consolation finals thrown in.

But it's been that kind of year. No Cup weekend. No Premier All-star game. Would have been nice to seen the league and its players promoted like they were last year.

Oh well, that Westside - Meralomas final should be a cracker. My money is on the Shooters - quality coaching :rolleyes: , plus lady luck is on their side ... two Golden Goal victories along the way that I know of. (My Div.1 team on the wrong end of one of those:mad: ). Nonetheless, both sides play nice football. If weather holds up I'll make the trek out to catch that game.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I watched the Meralomas/Delta United semi-final on Sunday and to be quite honest, it was shoc-king. The quality of football was shite and I talked to a couple of players from both teams after the games, and they totally agreed. The wind played a big factor and the ball was rarely settled. Hopefully, for the teams involved in the final, there will be better conditions, which will cater to a better game.

Brew

Dec 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Valley fields are much more likely to be playable

Yes, the Valley seems to be it. Unfortunate. Noel Booth is not a great field. First of, it's not even close to a "normal" sized field, we play on fields that size at the Squamish 7-a-side. Not to mention the lake in front of the goal, which the Valley coach spent the good part of an hour, with bucket in hand, getting the water to a safe level and then proceeded to add sand which caused a quick sand effect.

Oh well, that's the way it goes, but without fans, being able to celebrate (1st or 2nd place) without driving home for an hour, it really will seem like just another game. Ya Cup.

besty

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Div. 1 - Cup Winners!!

Just wanted to congratulate all the Westside Shooters for a job well done during this cup run and a win in the final.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

:wa:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0