Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[Men Open] 2005 Provincial Draw

Status
Not open for further replies.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
ugly morning after

I tried posting some crap at 3:42am post-Roxy Roller, but it didn't work. Which, in retrospect, may have been a blessing. I think I started my post out with some Vantreights slags, used the word "wicked" like 32 times, and finished it off with a series of Ryan Dormer-inspired whoooooooooooooos. Then I belched up what appeared and felt to be bile, and went to sleep.

So, where does one begin today. I think it would have to start with my main man Dave "don't call me Ivan" Hlinka and the entire Surrey United squad for being tremendous competitors on the day. Classy group of guys, which made for a remarkably clean match despite it being about as intense as you can get. Two cautions in 120 minutes of airtight fitbaw....great stuff. Marty Foden was exceptionally gracious in the post-match handshake - talk about a stand-up guy. As Mike Tyson would say, I take my hand off to you.

The game. Oh, the game. That game was a complete 50-50 sawoff in terms of scoring chances and overall possession. While you can insert the "nobody likes to see it go to PKs" cliche right here, spotters seemed inevitable as neither team could find the back of the net, despite numerous quality opportunities both ways.

Here are some other things I learned from yesterday:

1) You do not want to face Brian Brum in PKs.

2) YOU DO NOT WANT TO FACE BRIAN BRUM IN PKs.

3) Nobody can sit on the bar and wind up particular Whitecap defenders like Guinness. This was easily the best performance of the night. "Fcuk, whatever."

4) It costs nine dollars to park for three hours on Nelson and Granville.

5) Mike Gomes has wicked taste in hats.

6) This year's squad was a great group of guys, probably the best I've been fortunate enough to be a part of. So to Brummer, Sushi, Denny (x2), Mikey Gomes, Mark Gomes, CJ, Jessie, Devon, Stevie Dormer, Ryan (whooooooooooo) Dormer, Nolie, Gebs, JB, WhoreVath, Dario, Batista (Terrell Owens), Coach Fraz, Nelson (the king of managers) and coach Pinto - cheers! You are all different kettle.

Sensei out.

J_B

Jul 22, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
First off I have to take my hat of to a great battle and a bunch of classy Surrey United guys. I would have to say that this match looked like it was going to produce many goals as we seemed to have many opportunities in the first however we couldn't finish our dinner. Surrey came out strong in the second and had some great spurts with Niall hitting the post. I would call the second half a split decision as we had some opportunities as well. However, the overtime was a see-saw battle with surrey controling the majority.

I have to say it feels sweet to win, to the boys we are Fcuking going to Calgary :wa: :knvb: :bronco: :D !!!!

Cheers
JB

knowone

Aug 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
so close yet so far away

nearly 24 hrs after the fact the pain has not yet subsided.
the dream of an all-surrey u trip to calgary is over and all
that remains for me is wet boots and a fcuked knee.
a very tough one to watch yesterday especially in pennos!
it does seem a fitting end to our season though, losing to
the league champs(inter), the imperial champs(croatia), and
finally the provincial champs(sporting).

a huge congrats to the sporting lads, who we played 3 times
and tied 3 times this season- total combined goals in our
matches-2. BRING IT HOME TO B.C. BOYS!

to my teammates, who gave it their all, chins up lads, we'll
be back at the dance again.

most of all, to MF, Bill the Thrill, and the Duncan boys, all the
work that goes unnoticed doesn't go unnoticed ;)

gutted and on suicide watch, G.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This year's squad was a great group of guys, probably the best I've been fortunate enough to be a part of. So to Brummer, Sushi, Denny (x2), Mikey Gomes, Mark Gomes, CJ, Jessie, Devon, Stevie Dormer, Ryan (whooooooooooo) Dormer, Nolie, Gebs, JB, WhoreVath, Dario, Batista (Terrell Owens), Coach Fraz, Nelson (the king of managers) and coach Pinto - cheers! You are all different kettle

It has come to my attention that, despite counting out the numbers three times, I excluded the fastest white man on the planet when compiling my list as quoted above.

Rosie, Sporting's resident speed merchant, is certainly different kettle.

This hangover is fcuking killing me, btw.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
nearly 24 hrs after the fact the pain has not yet subsided.
Just wait until you get a Sensei Hanson PM asking you to re-live it all over again... Aahh superlative times.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Or you get a PM from JB "accidentally" forwarded to you and not Gomsey about a Pork Chop BBQ to continue the celebration of their victory over Surrey United' at JB's crib. Though I doubt Pork Chops will actually be on the menu one (me) could only hope they are and that they burn.......in hell.

I hate you all...

studsup

Sep 14, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Congrats to Sporting, RD, SD, & TR. Hurts to watch friends lose. Nobody in the league works harder than the SU boys under the watchful eye of the Gaffer. A proven excellent program that has seen a valley team win lots of hardware over the years. Best of luck at the nationals boys. Bring home the precious metal.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally posted by Sensei
3) Nobody can sit on the bar and wind up particular Whitecap defenders like Guinness. This was easily the best performance of the night. "Fcuk, whatever."
Fcuking wind up!!! :D I heard somewhere if you kick them hard enough and verbally abuse them, they'll end up buying you a pint!!! ;)

Congrats Sporting lads... Unrucky to my many mates at SU, although WAB thinks I wanna be just like you... :rolleyes:

gomesy_jr

Aug 14, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just wanted to say thanks for all the congrats and best wishes we got from everyone. I don't really have anything to add about the game, but I wanted to cheers all the boys from Surrey U. who are a very classy bunch of guys. It was a very intense game, as it should've been, but like all our games vs. Surrey, it remained a very clean game which i think happens when both teams have a great deal of respect for eachother.

Cheers,
jr.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gomesy jr. that's not the same words you used to describe the SU lads at 2am!!! As you were wearing your ribbon, er medal you told me KNVB was a cnut and deserved everything he got!!! Something about being a moany twat and a shite footballer as well!!! ;)

Then again, I was up to no good and may have just imagined you said that??? :eek:

J_B

Jul 22, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
PROVINCE CUP FINAL

SPORTING CLUB – SURREY UNITED 1-0 (PK’s)

Sporting Club of Vancouver captured its first ever Provincial Cup title this past weekend by defeating Surrey United on penalty kicks after 120 minutes of scoreless, but exciting, soccer. Despite the scoreline, the game provided the numerous spectators with a lot of action and numerous golden scoring opportunities.

Just four years since its ascent to the Premier Division of the VMSL, Sporting Club pulled off an amazing Provincial Cup run, culminating with this thrilling victory over a spirited and determined Surrey squad. All told, the Portuguese team’s cup run included: 6 hours of scoreless football, 5 goals, 4 overtime contests, and 3 penalty kick shootouts. It should also be mentioned that Sporting Club squeaked in the Province Cup playdowns with a last game of the season victory over Columbus-Clan! Perhaps the most impressive of all Sporting’s feats was the fashion in which the shootouts were decided. In fact, from the penalty mark, Sporting Club outscored its opposition by an emphatic 9-2 margin throughout the Provincial Cup run.

Sunday’s match lived up to its expectations, with the notable exception that no goals were scored. As mentioned earlier, this is not to say that the game lacked any quality scoring chances. Surrey’s Niall Thompson—playing for the first time at Swangard Stadium since his departure from the Whitecaps—was a going concern throughout the match, particularly with his aerial presence. Two excellent scoring chances by Thompson come to mind: first, midway through the second half, his glancing header hit the goalpost with goalkeeper Brian Brum beaten. Then, in the first overtime period, Thompson had his close-range shot smothered by a seemingly unbeatable Brum.

At the other end of the pitch, Sporting Club also created several good scoring chances, peppering United’s fine goalkeeper Drew Smiley with several shots. Trevor Rosencrans, Steve Dormer, and Mark Gomes all had quality opportunities but Smiley rose to the occasion every time.

The extra time sessions matched the intensity of the regulation time that preceded them, but scoring chances were at a premium as both teams seemed to be a little more cautious. Right at the end of extra time, Surrey had by far the best chance to grab the elusive winning goal when Rob Wilson sent Ryan Hopp in all alone on a breakaway. Hopp beat Brian Brum with a clever chip shot, only to have the ball agonizingly float inches wide of the far post. The final whistle blew shortly thereafter, sending the match into penalty kicks.

As was the case against Victoria VanTreights, Sporting Club took full control of the shootout, thanks to some clinical finishing, strong goalkeeping, and poor accuracy on the part of the Surrey shooters. Steve Dormer, Trevor Rosencrans, and Mark Gomes all hit the target for Sporting, while two United shooters missed the net and the other shot right at Brum.

Defender Luke Ash, midfielder Todd Stauber, and goalkeeper Drew Smiley turned in excellent performances for Surrey United, albeit in a losing cause. For Sporting, special mention should go to Mike Gomes, Devon Greenside, and CJ Greenside for their excellent effort in the midfield. As a result of the victory, Sporting Club will now represent British Columbia in the National Club Champioships which will be held on Thanksgiving weekend in Calgary, Alberta. The entire VMSL community wishes Sporting Club the best of luck!

TEAM OF THE WEEK: SPORTING CLUB for yet another excellent performance in defeating Surrey United on penalty kicks after a 0-0 overtime draw. The victory gives Sporting Club its first-even PROVINCE CUP title. Sporting Club has also qualified for the National Championships! WELL DONE SPORTING CLUB!!!

PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Sporting Club’s MIKE GOMES for his tireless effort in his team’s 1-0 penalty kick victory over Surrey United in the Province Cup final. Gomes led his team by running miles in the midfield throughout the 120 minutes of play. For his excellent performance, GOMES will receive a prize of a pizza for two, compliments of THE GOLDEN BOOT CAFFE`. The prize is available up to 2005-05-31. The pizza must be consumed on the premises.

J_B

Jul 22, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
There is a great write up in the World Football pages, Mr. KNVB was the one to point this out, what a classy guy, cheers :knvb:.

Cheers
JB

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A great write-up?

I thought it was mince. Who was the MVP? Which goalie looked great? Who's the pooftuh wearing black tights?

Sensei's write-up is miles better above. I mean Azzi's.

:D

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You're welcome JB. It's an amazing story if nothing else... a team making it into the provincials by 3 points, that 3 points coming because someone in the firemen organization couldn't pull their crap together for 3 weeks and make it down to BBY and pick up Jarvies fcuking playing card. That same team then scores a 1/4 of it's season total goals in one game then not another for 360 minutes of play, plus injury time, to win it all...everyone in my family has had a look. My parakeet has it now and is currently showing what he thinks of it all too.

Congratulations again, buddy.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Man, seriously, fcuk you guys. I go away for a week and come back to a littany of fat jokes. Pudge? Well-fed? Fcuking bitches.

First off, the camera always adds a good 10 pounds. I have a harder time trying to rationalize the other 200, but those ten are definitely the result of a messed up lens or something.

Secondly....secondly...ah, fcuk it, there is no secondly. I'm off to plunge my head into the post-lunch/pre-dinner feedbag, cry, and then go barf. Wait...are bulimia jokes still considered taboo? I kept it out of the co-ed and keeper's movie review threads so not to offend any of the chicks. I make it a personal goal to be sensitive about that type of stuff. For example, you don't see me dropping any bald crackhead zingers in here, mostly out of respect for Regs.

War Food,
-Lard Ass.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sensei didn't look that fat last night at his indoor game. It must be the camera, which adds pound. He was cat-like in net, other than the 4th goal he gave up, which was a meg and a whiff at the same time. ;)

His team won handily though and he looked fit doing it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0