Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How will HPL affect Gold/Silver levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So you are going to evaluate a system that is about development based on scores? 2 games in?

Maybe we should rule out slide tackles at this level too, it can be demoralizing to lose a scoring opportunity. This is Canada - we must hand out participation ribbons and focus less on winners.

FML

Regs.
The people in charge will need to assess the game results so far especially in the U13 boys where the teams are playing 11a-side for the first time. There,s some huge score margins which doesn,t benefit either of the teams involved. For the teams on the end of 8 -0 or other big scores it will be demoralizing for the players.
Here,s a link to some of the scores Tournament Standings
There also huge score margins in some of the other lower u13 groups.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Stop keeping score before u14 and most of the problems are solved. Players, especially boys, are naturally competitive enough.

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Stop keeping score before u14 and most of the problems are solved. Players, especially boys, are naturally competitive enough.

C'mon....that might work for the wee little kids but U14? U13? even U11? I don't see that being possible. Everyone on the field would know the score.

Maybe for U8 or 9 at best.

You said it yourself "Players, especially boys, are naturally competitive enough" they're not going to lose track of the score somehow.

They'd always know exactly what the score was.

bravedart

Aug 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tracking scores and standings over the course of a season is not done for the kids benefit...it is done for the adults preference.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Go ahead, take away the scores... the kids will have their own standings up on facebook in no time...

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Soccerdad - You proved my point. So did MTKB. The kids are competitive enough amongst themselves, they don't need coaches keeping kids on the bench and demanding "clear it!!!"

Now that said, if you have a 10 year old or even an 11 year old who plays on a team - on the Tuesday following the Saturday game ask them what the score was. #fivedifferentanswers.

Regardless, some of the lack of balance will get sorted out as teams are moved up or down at xmas (in the Fraser Valley anyway). Additionally, next year clubs and teams will have a better picture of their level of play. But there will always be imbalance in youth scores. One team will dominate, and another will get hammered every week. The way it is.

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Soccerdad - You proved my point. So did MTKB. The kids are competitive enough amongst themselves, they don't need coaches keeping kids on the bench and demanding "clear it!!!"

Now that said, if you have a 10 year old or even an 11 year old who plays on a team - on the Tuesday following the Saturday game ask them what the score was. #fivedifferentanswers.

Regardless, some of the lack of balance will get sorted out as teams are moved up or down at xmas (in the Fraser Valley anyway). Additionally, next year clubs and teams will have a better picture of their level of play. But there will always be imbalance in youth scores. One team will dominate, and another will get hammered every week. The way it is.

interesting. So you're proposing that there would be no records kept from game to game but rather the kids would just know following each game day simply whether they maybe felt they outperformed or got outperformed on the field and they'd take the attitude that it's just back to the drawing board for next week to try and do all the little things their coach is teaching them a bit better next week and the week after etc.

I could see it.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Some random thoughts:

With all of the kids' teams that I've coached, even in the non-competitive levels, the kids have kept score themselves. Even with
5 year olds playing inhouse, telling them that the score was a draw doesn't work; they've already defined "won" and "lost" as concepts, even without the help of coaches. The challenge is to repurpose the kids' internal focus on "winning" to one that encompasses the concept of teamwork.

Obviously, not everyone has kids playing at competitive levels; the vast majority of us have offspring filling up the rest of the pyramid. These kids are just as relevant, if not more so, because this is where the next generation's coaches and referees will come from.

4 District keeps scores for everything down to U12 gold. Why? Because these scores are used to reposition teams to (hopefully) more appropriate levels over the Thanksgiving weekend. You consistently blow other teams out? You get moved up. You consistently get blown out? You get moved down.

M

Mal

So you are going to evaluate a system that is about development based on scores? 2 games in?
Maybe we should rule out slide tackles at this level too, it can be demoralizing to lose a scoring opportunity. This is Canada - we must hand out participation ribbons and focus less on winners.
Regs.

trece verde
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: How will HPL affect Gold/Silver levels
Some random thoughts:

With all of the kids' teams that I've coached, even in the non-competitive levels, the kids have kept score themselves. Even with
5 year olds playing inhouse, telling them that the score was a draw doesn't work; they've already defined "won" and "lost" as concepts, even without the help of coaches. The challenge is to repurpose the kids' internal focus on "winning" to one that encompasses the concept of teamwork.

Obviously, not everyone has kids playing at competitive levels; the vast majority of us have offspring filling up the rest of the pyramid. These kids are just as relevant, if not more so, because this is where the next generation's coaches and referees will come from.

4 District keeps scores for everything down to U12 gold. Why? Because these scores are used to reposition teams to (hopefully) more appropriate levels over the Thanksgiving weekend. You consistently blow other teams out? You get moved up. You consistently get blown out? You get moved down.

Trece verede has got it spot on - all kids of all ages are interested in scores like how many goals their team has scored etc while players on the end of big losses take it really hard .

Reg -its common sense to have evenly matched games and u come up with a sarcastic post about stopping slide tackles , this is Canada , giving out ribbons etc.
Some people just don,t really have a clue about how these young kids react to winning/losing etc - all they bark on about is development . It would help development if teams were evenly matched and placed in groups accordingly .
Its the same with players , they should be playing at the level their ability merits

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Mal:

Regs = pisstake. Learn it, love it. Not sure if his kids are at this stage yet, but I'm sure he's got them practicing The Move already.

Quick review of the thread content tells me that you two are talking about different things. Regs is (I believe) referring to the Premier League mini season; bettermirror was talking about the 5 District structure. Apples and oranges, the way I see it.

Personally I'd rather see kids taught how to slide properly. Fewer injuries that way.

A

AMA

Some random thoughts:

There are house level teams playing up in GOLD [1A AND 1B] and even group 2 . There are too many divisions especially in U13 Boys which should be sorted out into less groups with evenly matched teams.

CMF have 2 teams in U13 Metro while all other clubs form a Metro team with a combination of 2 clubs !

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Okay, so 5 District has 7 groups of U13 teams vs. 6 in 4 District. So what? If teams were seeded at the wrong level at the beginning of the season, that doesn't mean there are too many levels, it means that the clubs involved (and the people on the committee responsible for seeding the teams) weren't being realistic about the level their teams were at. By your logic, you might as well say that there are too many teams. Who would that help?

nocents

May 5, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
There are house level teams playing up in GOLD [1A AND 1B] and even group 2 . There are too many divisions especially in U13 Boys which should be sorted out into less groups with evenly matched teams.

CMF have 2 teams in U13 Metro while all other clubs form a Metro team with a combination of 2 clubs !

Sorry, I don't get your point. If two small clubs want to combine a group of players into a single team, why not? Isn't that better than having diversely motivated and skilled players on the same team? And if a large club has enough players to field 2 teams at a level then shouldn't they do just that? Regarding the divisions, they are there so that teams can play at the appropriate level. Not so a club can try and fill a level or feed egos. Fewer divisions would lead to some very uneven matches.

Perfectofc

Jun 30, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well now that the Thanksgiving break is upon us, we'll finally get to see the movement of teams... looking at bcsoccercentral it will be really interesting to see who gets moved up and down etc.

GEORDIE

May 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well now that the Thanksgiving break is upon us, we'll finally get to see the movement of teams... looking at bcsoccercentral it will be really interesting to see who gets moved up and down etc.

My sons footy team is in Gold 1b u13 and i was hoping the teams would be competitive but some of the teams in our group belong in house level.
Langley Utd Metro u13 is not a Metro team at all as shown by heavy defeats already.

There are also teams in the lower groups who should be playing about 2 groups higher.
Lets hope the leage sorts this out asap to ensure some better match ups .

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money

Is this certain? The reason I ask is...why post schedules up to xmas if the intent was to reorganize levels of play at thanksgiving? I had thought the movement of levels would be after xmas? Thanks.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ya, I guess it remains to be seen if it is done in District 5 - I can't recall it happening barring a u12 team back before the 8v8 days!

n/m - found the answer at bottom of D5 bcsoccercentral web site...(I added the italic)

"After the Thanksgiving break the board may re-align some teams if necessary (if one or two teams are very strong or weak)
After the Christmas break all teams will be placed into competitive divisions and play "League Cup"
Division 1 teams (and any Division 2, 3.. teams that want to) will play in both "District Cup" and "League Cup" (priority given to District Cup)
League Cup will have a round robin format and finals"

-Competitive divisions for league cup - intriguing.

Perfectofc

Jun 30, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
By your U13 example Geordie, surely the CCB Tigers from D2 (fairly dominant against pretty decent teams it seems) would move up and Poco Rangers sent down... I dunno, I'm just interested in how all of it happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0