Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How will HPL affect Gold/Silver levels

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

anothersoccermom

There is no more gold u15 team in West Van and there are now two metro teams on the North Shore, so in other words gold disappeared, gold became metro and metro became HPL, so what do we have, it just costs more money to play soccer in BC

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Soccermom - Gold is now referred to as "Division 1", Silver is "Division 2 and so on down to Division 4.

Essentially, Metro is now HPL, while Gold is now metro. I assume at u14 North Shore had 1 metro team and 1 gold team in 2010-11?

You should ask your club these questions you have posted here. It's the only way you will get answers. Essentially what has happened, based on your post, is that a Tier 2 team from 2010-11 has remained tier 2 in 2011-12, meanwhile a Tier 1 team from 2010-11 has essentially dropped a tier in 2011-12 to Tier 2.

Keep in mind, North Shore is now part of Mountain United. So the top metro players would have likely moved over to Mountain United this year. So last year's metro team has essentially dropped a level, rather than the last years Gold team moving up a level.

But the reality is, you need to ask your club these questions - and if you signed your son or daughter up for the metro team did you not ask at the time of tryouts what level they were selected to play?

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bettermirror, 5 district may have renamed divisons, but to my knoweldge 4 district is still using gold, silver and bronze... North Shore is part of 4 district, so the latter apply to soccermom's child...

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
names aside mtkb, the point remains. The question this mom needs to ask THE CLUB is "why was the gold team kept at 2nd tier and placed in the metro division, when 2011-12 gold is actually third tier?" if she signed her kid up and didn't realize the changes that were in place - frankly, that's her own fault for not seeking out this info that I'd shocked wasn't being announced at tryout time (ie, we'll have 2 metro teams this year if possible).

M

Mal

The trickle effect has started . In some of the tournaments so far there were some really low level players representing teams playing in the select and silver levels as evident by huge score margins in games .

Outwest

Apr 11, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
The trickle effect has started . In some of the tournaments so far there were some really low level players representing teams playing in the select and silver levels as evident by huge score margins in games .

This will take a year or 2 to sort out. My observation from a "smaller" club is that adding another layer in the leagues stretches club's ability to provide options at all appropriate levels. So in an specific age group you may only have silver and metro or bronze and gold. The kids in the lower level may not be able to move up so they are "done".

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
"B" cup is metro. There was an announcement from BC soccer outlining the A and B (and new C) Cup formats....You should be able to find the info there. I think some Division 1 teams are able to apply to compete in the B cup if they see fit. Keep in mind Metro won't be of the same quality it has been but rather in a "best case scenario" a bit of a step up from Gold but not as good as Metro used to be. Although this all remains to be seen over the next few months. Regardless HPL will be above Metro. Metro above Div 1.

krutov

Dec 14, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bettermirror
I do not seem to be able to find anthing on the new C cup. Do you know if it is buried under a bigger announcement? How long ago did you see this?

nocents

May 5, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I thought it was:

Premier Cup: BCSPL exclusively for 2012 & 2013. 2014 BCSPL and beyond others can apply
A Cup: Metro and others apply
B Cup: Gold/Div. 1 and down

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
To be honest, I don't want to go digging for the document!

Nocents may very well have the names correct - Premier>A>B. In which case my "C" cup that I referenced would = Nocents' "B" cup...anyway. Semantics I suppose.

However, it is important for LITK to know which cup to enters his players in. A cup might be the right level or his team might be a Division 1 level and thus B cup is appropriate.

Yes, it was announced in 2014 that anyone interested in the "Premier" cup can apply to do so. I guess BCSPL has 2 years to prove its value so lots of kids don't then go down to metro and still compete in the Prem Cup. ...

Krutov....I do recall now that it was announced after a BCSA meeting. I believe the minutes are posted on the monday morning centreback blog (Gregor Young). ??? You could check there. It was earlier this summer.

A

anothersoccermom

names aside mtkb, the point remains. The question this mom needs to ask THE CLUB is "why was the gold team kept at 2nd tier and placed in the metro division, when 2011-12 gold is actually third tier?" if she signed her kid up and didn't realize the changes that were in place - frankly, that's her own fault for not seeking out this info that I'd shocked wasn't being announced at tryout time (ie, we'll have 2 metro teams this year if possible).

A

anothersoccermom

What I was questioning, is if the teams(and pretty much players as a group, gold,metro) are all moving up a level, what are the real changes and why is it being done, except now we have made an elite stream on children going through the system,

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
You answered your own question. "We now have made an elite stream on children going through the system." Metro is the new Gold. So your sons' team didn't move up. The other metro team you club has at this age has technically moved down.

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
You answered your own question. "We now have made an elite stream on children going through the system." Metro is the new Gold. So your sons' team didn't move up. The other metro team you club has at this age has technically moved down.

This has been and still is a bit of an issue with the whole system being revamped so to speak. Many are not clear on how the formation of the BCSPL has affected Metro, Gold, Silver down. I don't mean from an "impact" POV I simply mean from a parents asking "where do we currently sit" POV.

The clubs all could have / need to do a better job of informing the membership.

Sure, the parents of kids playing BCSPL all pretty much know how it all breaks down but many who are currently playing below this level are really in the dark about how their kid who's for example playing silver this year fit's into the whole picture.

This is important for all to know so when evaluations are held for any and all levels, parents know where to properly steer their kids.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Give it 3 months and the standings will be somewhat clearer at various levels - for whatever worth you put in scores I suppose (ie, I can recall a team finishing dead last 2 years in a row and then winning the league in the 3rd year with a largely unchanged squad and largely unchanged league). Once those 3 months are passed clubs will be able to approach the tryout season more realistically or accurately at least.

M

Mal

The HPL leage is a move in the right direction for the elite level soccer players but what happens to the others like the Gold/Silver level players.

The people in charge will need to assess the game results so far especially in the U13 boys where the teams are playing 11a-side for the first time. There,s some huge score margins which doesn,t benefit either of the teams involved. For the teams on the end of 8 -0 or other big scores it will be demoralizing for the players.
Here,s a link to some of the scores Tournament Standings
There also huge score margins in some of the other lower u13 groups.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
The lower levels may need to be reviewed. BUT, your example is somewhat misleading.

-u13 BCPL is balanced
-u13 Metro is balanced mostly (1 team getting smoked in u13 "B" and 1 in u13 "A")
-u13 Division 1A (the last place team has second most goals scored and is only -3GD) is balanced
-u13 Div 1B, as you showed is unbalanced
-u13 Div 2, mostly balanced (a few winless teams and one who hasn't scored yet)
-u13 3A, balanced
-u13 3B, unbalanced
-u13 4A, unbalanced
-u13 4B, balanced

So it is about even. But how is this different than any other year? Hopefully some of the lower level teams move down to appropriate levels or up as is appropriate. I don't mean to nitpick, but really, isn't this the case every year with winless teams that don't appear to be competing? But scores don't tell the whole story. Some youth teams can play very attractive soccer without it making much positive benefit to the scoresheet. I've seen it every year for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0