Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier [FVSL Premier] Pre-Season Results, Rumors and Various Scuttlebutt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

surreyu

Sep 23, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain,

I would assume they made the majority of money from people purchasing food and drinks ($6.95 for a small glass of beer). It's a good thing I did get a free ticket.

cloughie

Aug 8, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
here's a prediction for you LION, I see the number FIVE in your future but I don't think you'll be as cheerful this time around:cool:

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
LION... you should have some appy specials at La Rocca for footballers. Appetizers at $5 each. Maximum of 5 per table. 500mL glasses of Moretti for $5.

:D

cloughie

Aug 8, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: FIVE

:cool:
Wow, it sounds like someone is still a wee bit bitter about losing the Pak Final!:cool:

Bitter? Moi? Just a happy chappie plying his trade in the BEST LEAGUE AROUND and looking into my crystal karma ball for the upcoming FVSL season openers:cool:

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great Idea Sixfyv. We need you on our marketing team!

Or how bout 5 k per player?

Cloughie,

I wasn't so cheerful at that moment, after being kicked/raped from behind in the box in the 90th minute when up 4-0.

I'm retired now.. can't keep up with all these Pro's in the league.
But good luck this season. I am sure your team will score more then 5 goals a game on many occasions.

xo

Lord Bob

Sep 1, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
That was quite possibly the WORST article I have ever read in my life. Absolutely shocking.
Ow.

I'm actually the author of possibly the worst article you've ever read in your life, and I'm not just here to take my medicine. That article's actually gotten interest from a Canadian soccer magazine that wants to reprint it in edited form. Rich Gablehouse dropped me a comment explaining that I'm "wrong wrong wrong", and since I'd prefer to get it right I'm trying to do a bit more research. I've already sent Rich an e-mail asking if I can grill him, but I should ask you guys too.

I know next-to-nothing about the Fraser Valley league. So go ahead and tell me what I got wrong. Assume I'm an idiot, because I am.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
1. The team you watched was largely ACBC's FVSL Premier Division Team, which won the league and had the three top goal scorers
2. The team (largely) that competed in the PCSL was his B Team, which then went and won thr BC B-Cup Provincials
3. The FVSL was involved in this game along with ACBC, I'm 100% sure the PCSL has sweet fcuk all to do with this game happening here, yet you state it was an East v West CSL v PCSL game...
4. You state:
It's not that Athletic Club was terribly bad in the PCSL, although they were pretty crummy - it's that playing in the Fraser Valley regional league after their suspension isn't exactly the best preparation for taking on a good CSL team that's in the middle of their season.
Did you happen to watch any PCSL games this summer? Did you see an ACBC game? how do you know they were crummy? looking at a stats page?
The PCSL is the Summer league, a rec league for many guys who either jump ship from their normal VMSL/FVSL Club sides to teams like Khalsa, or some teams like PAU who are in /out year to year with the FVSL Premier Guys.
The actual Premier level Amateur Soccer here is played in the fall/winter (Sept-April/March) in 3 leagues: VISL (Vancouver Island) VMSL (Vancouver Metro), and FVSL (Fraser Valley) The PCSL is rec summer ball for teams and players who are too good/more competitive than what the Knight Soccer League has to offer, or other leagues like the Delta League etc.

Overall the VMSL > FVSL > VISL although the VISL's Gorge has won the BC's and gone to nationals a few times in the last 5 years IIRC...

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ow.

I'm actually the author of possibly the worst article you've ever read in your life, and I'm not just here to take my medicine. That article's actually gotten interest from a Canadian soccer magazine that wants to reprint it in edited form. Rich Gablehouse dropped me a comment explaining that I'm "wrong wrong wrong", and since I'd prefer to get it right I'm trying to do a bit more research. I've already sent Rich an e-mail asking if I can grill him, but I should ask you guys too.

I know next-to-nothing about the Fraser Valley league. So go ahead and tell me what I got wrong. Assume I'm an idiot, because I am.

Welcome aboard, Lord Bob. :)

As for the article it was really bad in terms of 'dragging' things on. The whole professional/semi-professional/amateur thing was overkill and really not needed in a match report. I'll have a look at the article again and just cut and paste some of the things that it could have done without. :D Welcome to Takethepiss......

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Papered though the house was, I've seen Whitecaps games with fewer people than that little third division exhibition.

Toronto Croatia opened the scoring in the fourteenth minute on a nice piece of footwork from striker Tihomir Maletic. It was a classic third division goal: he had too much time, too much space, the ball fell to him in an easy position to the right of the goal and he could deposit it as casually as you please. WTF is a classic third division goal?

Slowly, the ball began to swing further and further to the north

It's easy for a supporter to declare that his chants and abuse have rattled an enemy goaltender when in fact, being a professional, the goalkeeper tuned it out easily enough. But Toronto's netminder is only a semi-professional,

This is not atypical for this level of soccer, where physicality and force must often take the place of skill and experience

that I can't tell you the name of the man who woke them back up, but I can tell you what he did. He wore number nine for Athletic Club; a little enough fellow who spent most of the game sprinting up and down the left wing like he was being chased by Cerberus. He corralled a long ball in the seventy-first minute on the left flank, got it under control, looked up, and saw that he had room. Those semi-professional defenders from Toronto backed off a little too far, and speed kills when you give it the chance. Professionals would have eaten the small, nameless midfielder alive, but these were not professionals.

The above bit was probably the worst of it all......

One that could never have come at a higher level, where a smarter, quicker defender would have closed down and stripped his adversary of the ball before the play even got going.

Have you ever seen that happen at the 'higher' level? I'm sure you have as most goals scored could be attributed to 'amateur' defending........

To us, waving free tickets, it was a laugh on a lovely Friday night, a chance to see some unusual players, and a diversion from the big Whitecaps game coming on Sunday afternoon. That's quite a piss-take on the players on the field........

The condescending approach to the article was prominent throughout. Basically you were out watching a bunch of really bad players attempting to play soccer and it caused much laughter watching their enthusiasm after winning. Hopefully that answers part of your question........

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Papered though the house was, I've seen Whitecaps games with fewer people than that little third division exhibition.

that I can't tell you the name of the man who woke them back up, but I can tell you what he did. He wore number nine for Athletic Club; a little enough fellow who spent most of the game sprinting up and down the left wing like he was being chased by Cerberus.QUOTE]

Isn't that young man, (obviously Admir) play for the U-21 Bosnian national team?

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The guy writing it clearly doesn't know much about soccer.
Perhaps ask someone who is wearing #9. .

You belittled the game.
Lots of players at this level has played pro/could play pro.
Diaz Kambere starting centre back for ACBC. (Canada u23, MLS(one game) Caps, couple years...
Admir trained with your beloved Caps for a while no?
Asked/played for his home countries under something team?

Why not mention the players that did play and what level they did play at...
These are some of the best local talent in B.C. Not a bunch of Americans brought up for a future MLS team.

your writing is Div.3.
GFY

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jesus H Christ LION, for a guy who rails on about Ghouse improving the game :rolleyes: that's pretty harsh on a guy who is obviously trying to improve his knowledge by posting and asking here.

That being said, if you want to take the piss, let him know that the Captain is an ex-86er himself :)

Lord Bob

Sep 1, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks for your time and your input, guys. In hindsight, I definitely agree that I was too condescending about the game, and of course getting the facts wrong was more than a bit embarrassing. Hopefully I'll be able to clear it up.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The condescending approach to the article was prominent throughout. Basically you were out watching a bunch of really bad players attempting to play soccer and it caused much laughter watching their enthusiasm after winning. Hopefully that answers part of your question........

This hits the nail on the head.

This article was an attempt at bigtiming the players, the leagues, and the organizer. That's right, I said bigtiming.

Truth is, in the past few years of attending the odd Cap's game, I like to hang out in the Southside section for the entertainment value. Not just the silly chants of guys throwing down a fake english accent, but of the general overall behavior of the crowd. It's obvious very few of them actually have played the game, and they quite honestly know sweet fcuk all about it.

Lion- damn right he should have done a bit of research to understand that there were some pretty damn good amateur footballers out on the pitch, many of whom have graced the Cap's side in the past.

I mean, they aren't quite as good as those '86ers were, but not bad. Right Cappy?

cloughie

Aug 8, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I see Harmse still hasnt signed with Poco.....has he had enough of Cucs BS already??
So that makes you feel better about playing the 2nd place League and Cup Runner up from last season who have added Tino Cucca, TK, Chin & Masi and they pumped 10 past you last season without them......hmmm, this league just got better, let's enjoy! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0