Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[FVSL Masters 2005] November Banter and Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Surrey U was built from very long lasting friendships, some from the FVSL Premier days and some from the SFU days. The majority of the players were/are Surrey citizens. Everything evolved naturally. If there was recruiting, it was done ages ago. Pete Hjorth playing for anyone other than us was just not going to happen. In fact, he is THE ONLY PLAYER I know that can state he has played HIS ENTIRE SOCCER CAREER with one club. From someone who has been called a suitcase from time to time, I can tell you that is one helluva an accomplishment. We would have been so disappointed if he went anywhere else and even if we were the worst team out there, Pete would have come to us anyway.

First thing first, friendships establish the teams. Some teams are luckier than others. The Rangers/SU rivalry is intriguing because it is the same rivalry from most of the same players from the Surrey U versus North Delta battles in the FVSL Premier, years ago. Two excellent teams. Basically, the same cast from both teams. Sometimes the friendships are develped through common bonds. Even our latest recruit, Regs, was a Surrey U player his entire childhood. That is the reason we expect Robbie Reed to join us in the future.

What are we arguing about anyway?

twoleftfeet

Sep 29, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ok...Funk time over boys!!

Rangr4evr....Well, this IS TTP and I thought this WAS the place to have a go at you?!?! ;) ......Looks like he got you too.. :D .....Bottom line..Winnings great and it SUCKS to lose......Anyhoo..Be nice to see you oot fer a pint, perhaps when we meet next @ NAP..You an Bully can armwrestle each other for players... :p

OK....Predictions for the weekend...Anyone.??

AllBlacks - Delta
Take the AllBlacks in this one...wounded egos all round and looking to fight our way off the canvas, again...

Sapp - Rangers
Rangers are ripe, you could smell them in the next changeroom :p and they have to drop points some time, to someone other than ScUm that is....and wouldn't it be fitting if Tony stole the game for Sapp?? Would the boys in Blue still be feelin the LOVE??..Ill go out on a limb and predict...TIE GAME.

P.A.U. - G.E.U.
Should be the remedy Parched Arse needs to lift their spirits...I'll take P.A.

ScUm - Aldergrove
Alderbush had better be on their toes in this one...ScUm won't be sleeping this time and they'll have revenge on their mind. ScUm to win.

Out

futbol

Jun 24, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great points by everyone, but the simple fact remains that this is over 35's and teams will come and teams will go, it's a fact. Unfortunately we all age, some better then others. Your only 4 or 5 players away from folding every year. Teams stuggle for players year in and year out, 2 week injuries in your 20's take 5 or 6 weeks in your late 30's and 40's and if you are unfortunate to suffer something more serious see you next year or ever. So,for those of us still kicking the round ball, enjoy it while you can because when were all old cnut's and can't play any more , we will miss the game and the competition.

Aves

Jan 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rangerforever said:
Aves told me once 'it's all about the pints afterwards isn't it?'

RF

that and scoring goals...so I can take my shirt off.

Even if there are a few teams better than the pack, it is an old boys league that has a range of teams and that's the way it is.
I watched the game the other night and the allblacks gave it a hellava battle. Well done.
And its too bad when you sign 20 guys that you can't get a better commitment so that the diehards can enjoy their football as much as their pints.
You would think more guys would want to play but all joking aside, not everyone can keep it going into their late 30's and 40's.
Cheers to all you old bastards that do.
:D

dazza

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Perhaps the answer is to go 0-30s rather than 0-35s. Or at least allow 4 or 5 under age players. There are plenty of players out there between 30 and 35 who are young fathers with careers who would make the transition.

fat monkey

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Some interesting stuff in the last few pages.

I've traditionally been on winning teams throughout most of my adult playing days. After taking the last couple of years off, the fire was still burning so I laced them up again. I was worried that playing for for a hard-working and under-skilled GEU team would be a drain on my competitive nature, but a funny thing happens when family and career become as important as mine have become to me. Just hanging out with the boys and having a few pints after a run (okay, a loss) is quite often just fine.

Don't get me wrong, I still like to win. But I've learned to appreciate the talent that FireRangerFighters and Scurvey Uninvited bring to the park each week rather than resent it.

Otherwise, I would be having a very, very bad day each Monday. ;)

Judging by the way most players in this league approach each game, I'm quite sure that this is pretty common.

But we're still gonna kick PA's butt on Sunday!!!! :knvb: :bronco: :wa:

BullyB

Jan 7, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fat Monkey said:
A funny thing happens when family and career become as important as mine have become to me. Just hanging out with the boys and having a few pints after a run (okay, a loss) is quite often just fine.

Don't get me wrong, I still like to win. But I've learned to appreciate the talent that FireRangerFighters and Scurvey Uninvited bring to the park each week rather than resent it.

Otherwise, I would be having a very, very bad day each Monday. ;)

Judging by the way most players in this league approach each game, I'm quite sure that this is pretty common.

Well said MonkeyMan, Aves & Daz,
It is about the PostGameDebriefing but they go down a lot easier after a few wins.
Waterboy, as always, the voice of Sapp is ever so subtle,thanks for you insightful comments also.

All this great banter by just winding up Ranger a wee bit.
Ballsy's right too, ScUm have been together for centuries.
Anyhow Monkey, I feel your pain. AllBlacks have about 8 fully committed players while the big guns have a full crew. Something we'll just have to live with. Anyone want a transfer?

On to the weekend. Crafty, the shirt is coming off WHEN I score.
Sort out the Za too, this time we'll split the bill.

Phatanslow

Oct 2, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
It is an interesting topic we are on and I am going to throw my two bits in :
The funny thing about this game is and has always been playing ability . When you are younger , just out of youth , the amount of doors open to you depend on your ability as a player. The better you are the more choices you have as to where you want to play ( ie: the valley or the city ) Some guys play with the best team they can because they feel that is best suited to them, others play at a lower level with there buddies . Some players want to play on other ,better, teams but their ability doesn't let them.
As we age other factors come into play, such as fitness and commitment. In the O/35 league some of the players that played at a higher level and stayed in shape still want to play on good teams, or were there ability still lets them play. Others who have played at a lower level growing up ,but are in good shape ,now have the opportunity to play with players they didn't get a chance to play with when they were younger ( or where their ability now lets them play ). It is and always has been about ability as a player. For instance I will use an example: I think it is a give that Todd bailey could play , and be welcomed with open arms , on any team in the valley. Why ? Because of his ability as a player. Some people that gripe on here don't have that opportunity. Why ? because of ability. I for one think it is good to have the SU and Rangers in our league as it gives our league creditability, could you imagine our league without them . We wouldn't get any provincal berths or if we did they would be pointless.
Now with this being said I am all for the footie and the pints and enjoy the laughs in the room afterwards. And I look forward to the chance of taking points from the top two.
Sorry boys bit of a ramble and I am sure I am going to get ripped on here . But to those who don't agree with me, in the immortal words of Gameboy , Fukc Off !!! :wa: :wa: :wa:

crafty cokcney

Nov 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
BullyB said:
On to the weekend. Crafty, the shirt is coming off WHEN I score.
Sort out the Za too, this time we'll split the bill.

Bully,

It is a good idea to remove your shirt when you score. This way your identity will remain a secret to the rest of your team mates who will be looking to lay blame for you putting one past your own keeper.

See ya Friday.

I'll pass your message on regarding the Za at practice tonight. :D

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
BullyB said:
All this great banter by just winding up Ranger a wee bit.

OK.
I was home sick for the last 5 fcuking days and was a bit bitchy alright?
Not to say you weren't either though.... :D
Being somewhat involved at the management level as one of Coach's Lieutenants, I get right fcuking choked too when you get lame attendance by guys you think you can rely on.
I'm sorry you're getting a bit fcuked over by your mates Bully but don't take it out on us OK? ;)

Anyhoo...

Gameboy:
You yappy fcuking wee eegit.
Don't make me get right into you too. :p
How's Erma Stephenson looking these days?
In recognition of this monumental clash against Sapperton (and due to the fact that I've been at home for five fcuking days bored right out of my fcuking skull) the boys thought it appropriate that I do some baking.
In that, please bring the fold up chairs and the Heineken and Grolsch brollys out.

Because the Amsterdam Cafe is open baby...

:cool:

BullyB

Jan 7, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Crafty,
Thought you might like this;

THERE was an old striker called Sheri,
So ancient, many were ready to bury,
When he said 'No! I aint!'
They were ready to faint,
And he always sent home his manager merry.

:p :cool: Ranger & Waterboy @ the Amsterdam Cafe.

crafty cokcney

Nov 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
BullyB said:
Crafty,
Thought you might like this;

THERE was an old striker called Sheri,
So ancient, many were ready to bury,
When he said 'No! I aint!'
They were ready to faint,
And he always sent home his manager merry.

Teddy playing at the age of 40 in the Premiership is an amazing statistic. I'm sure you would take him over that guy who plays for PAU.....what's his name again.????? oh yeah Vinnie. :rolleyes:

Cheers

dazza

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
crafty cokcney said:
Teddy playing at the age of 40 in the Premiership is an amazing statistic. I'm sure you would take him over that guy who plays for PAU.....what's his name again.????? oh yeah Vinnie. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Did you see his goal on the weekend? Never mind the earlier layoff for a teammate that sent him in on goal.

Sublime.

Skill doesn't get old.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
And neither does taking the piss out of the English.

Now take it to the EPL thread where no one gives a fcuk. ;)

And, he's only 39.

Like some other fine footballers out there, :eek:

RF

BullyB

Jan 7, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ranger,
It took an Englishman, one of the best piss takers of all time, to show Rangers how the game is played, he might have been as daft as a brush but there is only one GAZZA!!!!

Gazza Forever :knvb: :bronco: :wa:

PS AllBlacks vs DMU cancelled.

Lookin' forward to watchin' England beat Argie's tomorrow.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Alderbush 0
Scum 2

A little too close for our liking as bush defended in numbers and had a few chances themselves. We missed quite a few early and from there it was game on.

It took until about the 80th minute before we finally scored and then added an insurance marker a couple of minutes later.

Murray hopefully gets the rust out for the big match this Friday night... early odds have Scum by .5

Where's my 48 beer BTW?

Aves

Jan 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
Alderbush 0
Scum 2

Murray hopefully gets the rust out for the big match this Friday night... early odds have Scum by .5

Where's my 48 beer BTW?

Coach has set the walnutgrove bookie odds at firerangers by 3...proclaimed proudly more than once in our clubhouse today after the match. :rolleyes:

"anything less would be a disappointment"

word is that the reigning league champs will be showing in full force so it sould be a go :rolleyes: ...the field that is.
:D

other predictions?

highlander

Jul 22, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
PAU 5
GEU 0
We seem to have found are form.
Great games by Mike,Mike,and Mike.
Also Al and Al
Panther and Braggs