Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Free Agent Frenzy!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am somewhere between celebration and complete pannick right now.

Honestly, Naslund had to move on. This era of him being captain has been an utter failure. As pointed out in one of the articles this morning, Naslund has never won a Championship. NEVER! Not the worlds, Olympics, WC, or even Junior WC! Now, I knew about the Stanley Cup, Olympics, and WC...but I sort of took it for granted that he was involved in at least one of those World Championships Sweeden has won.

Not surprised...he isn't a champion, and now he's sucked up what was left of his pride and has gone to the Rangers, where he'll be free of the burden of any real leadership. Great city though- NY is adictive, and he will love having his familly there, even for a short spell, before finally retiring back to Sweeden.

Willy Mitchell almost certainly will be the next Captain, unless management decides Kevin Bieksa is part of the long term plans. Looks like he's our best trade bait right now.

They must be secretly hoping Cody Hodson can make a big leap at training camp.

I'm thinking this almost certainly kills the Sundin deal, unless Gillis goes out and get Dimitra, like, now, and adds another 20-30 goal guy somehow.

Pretty slim.

BTW...Brad Richards at 7 million per looking like a deal right now. Too bad they wanted half the team.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyone hear what he had to say?

Talk about throwing your now former mates under the bus...

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not sure Regs,

He said they weren't good enough. I'm not sure if he was including himself in that statement or not, if not, then he needs to invest in a mirror.

All things aside as Dude posted above...Naslund resigned with the Nucks with the expectation that things would improve the last time around, and they didn't...Why would he stay now!?

I know I am going to be criticized for saying this, but as of right now I am going to trade Luongo and maybe even the Sedins and go to a re building process... Gillis has struck out at both the draft and now on the Free Agency (Or so it seems) If I am Luongo I am going to ask for a trade, or at the very least leave asap once the contract is up...
If the Nucks can trade away Lu and pick up a journeyman keeper to split the games 50-50 with Schieder, Is he even ready yet?, and prospects or high draft picks and take our lumps this year....hope the fans stick it out, and get another top draft pick or 3 and then go the route the Pens and Capitals and so on have gone. I think the Canucks will be bad, by design, this year...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
JBN...at this point I am in complete agreement. Bring the kid up, find a bargain basement keeper, and load up on prospects. Who knows...maybe a youth movement is what we need.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guys let get real.Nusland is a class act guy.He is not dumb.He knows if does well in New York they will extend his contract for two more years.Here he head twins and Kesler Burrows and Rypien and Payett.You just watch Sadin will end up in New York with Nasland.If they think that Johnson is the best they can do than we are in for a long season.Good thing they inked Bolduc,They must grab the tough guy from Phinex in order to play agains Dalas and Calgary and Edmonton.As far as "Capitan" Mitchel,a hurd worker but plumber hands can not do it.Hart is Ok but you must back it up with talent.As far as Bieksa as a capitan not Burrows is the guy for that job.A dam hard worker each shift and Ok hands.
It is time to go to young guys for bigger things.Do not panick.We have youth on the farm that can do the job.Also young White he can do the job.We just need a tough guy on each line and things will take care of it self.Twins are good for hundred points each next year.They will get the coin.Morison will be in Toranto soon.Horduchuk is good enough for third line posibly second.If young Hodgson makes the team than guy like Hordachuck will have to play with him to protect the kid.We need one more tough guy that can skate and chip in ten to fifteen goals a year.Third line is very good fourh line is looking good.One guy with twins and one guy on second line.Both must be like Horduchuk with Ok hands.Payett was give a chance but he does not like to get dirty.
As far as D we still need a Hatcher type.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not sure Regs,

He said they weren't good enough. I'm not sure if he was including himself in that statement or not, if not, then he needs to invest in a mirror.

All things aside as Dude posted above...Naslund resigned with the Nucks with the expectation that things would improve the last time around, and they didn't...Why would he stay now!?

I know I am going to be criticized for saying this, but as of right now I am going to trade Luongo and maybe even the Sedins and go to a re building process... Gillis has struck out at both the draft and now on the Free Agency (Or so it seems) If I am Luongo I am going to ask for a trade, or at the very least leave asap once the contract is up...
If the Nucks can trade away Lu and pick up a journeyman keeper to split the games 50-50 with Schieder, Is he even ready yet?, and prospects or high draft picks and take our lumps this year....hope the fans stick it out, and get another top draft pick or 3 and then go the route the Pens and Capitals and so on have gone. I think the Canucks will be bad, by design, this year...

I agree, because the fans will stick around no matter what. It would be nice to see some big shakeup's my Linden jersey will always be in style :)

Mr. Base, it's so bad I've gotten to the point where I don't read a thing you have to say, please, and I mean PLEASE, some sort of spelling would be much appreciated.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Don't worry guys, Gillis has a plan. It's all about acquiring Tavares at next year's draft :D

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Does "Sadin" mean Sundin or Sedin? I'm confused. I've stopped the bleeding from my eyeballs, but this past phrase still leaves me wondering...

suburbanator

Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyone hear what he had to say?

Talk about throwing your now former mates under the bus...

And your coach and the teams shite defensive style.

Gillis hiding in a media-free cave over the last few days speaks volumes.

High tide in Vancouver is 6' 6" today, Gillis is only 5'9...

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jagr signs in Russia!

Boyle soon to be traded to the Sharks today or tommorow, they are working out the final details.

LSD

May 31, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agreed, at this point it looks like rebuilding is the best path to take. However Gillis has been declaring his intention to build a winner immediately, to the fans, owners, media and players. I really wonder if he has the balls to admit he struck out in free agency, his attempt to acquire Dan Boyle, Sundin and whatever other moves he has tried to make that we haven't heard of.

Scary part about rebuilding though is it might be tough to get full value for the Sedin's and Luongo and it could take quite a few years before the Canucks are good again. But really unless Gillis pulls something out of his ass, next year isn't looking too bright so far.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rebuilding?
wow. I don't think I can wait. Again.

We have one of the best goalies in the game.

And probably the best second line in the game with the twins. (They are NOT first liners, will not lead a team to a cup as a first line)

Is it that hard to find a first line?

If anything, I would trade away the farm, shnieder etc... to get that first line. Now is your chance. Not later, again.

Nonis didn't get to finish his builing of 4 years.
I am sure if Nonis is in the G.M. position now, he would have found something. As they say, he is somewhat in the "club".

Who is even left that is signable?
Demitra? (injury prone euro, won't lead a team anywhere)
Jagr? (he would of been awsome with the Sedins)
anyone else?

Again, I don't think trading away the team and rebuilding again would do anything.
We as Canuck fans have been patient enough. And felt like we were close to a contender when Luongo came, with the 2 young twins producing as well.
So I don't think trading away what Burke and Nonis did not so many years ago will help us. At least not for 3 years or so.

Luongo will probably want a trade if this year turns in to a disaster. And we won't get full value for him if he wants one.

FRUSTERATED.

LSD

May 31, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
The problem with trading prospects for first liners is the time of the year. Almost every team currently believes they have a shot at the playoffs, except maybe Atlanta and Toronto. So teams aren't willing to give away their star players for guys who are a couple years away from being good, unless they have some cap issues.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Some armchair GM'ing...
Assuming no more UFA's happen except if Sundin accepts the contract offer...

Cap space is currently: 16.57mill...according to nhlnumbers.com » Home

Trade Bieksa, Raymond, and a second rounder to Buffalo for Ales Kotalik and Maxim Afinogenov (Buffalo needs a top 4 d man and rumours are swirling that Afinogenov could be Vancity bound. Also both are UFA's next year. Kotalik is a 6'+ righthanded Rightwinger to play with the Sedins...over 150 hits last year) 4.633 Million (Raymond and Bieksa) for 6 mill (Afinogenov and Kotalik) + 1.367 Cap Hit = 15.203 Million to play with

Trade a 3 rounder and Pyatt to Chicago for Havlat. (Chicago needs a salary dump) 1.575 Pyatt for 6 mill- Havlat = 10.77 Mill Left (maybe Sundin does indeed sign up) I know Havlat is a man made of glass, but his luck has to change sometime no? But he is right at a point a game over his career and has had a mean-streak or dirty aspect to his game for stickwork....good or bad thing, I don't know...

dump Cowan off for a 7th round pick if you can...whatever, at this point talking about Cowan just makes me mad...

Without Sundin signing that huge offer sheet for 10 per for 2 years:
Sedin-Sedin-Kotalik
Havlat-Wellwood-Afinogenov (The speed and skill on the wings of this line…WOW! However, very breakable and small)
Burrows-Kesler-Pettinger
Rypien-Johnson-Hordichuk
Extra: Hansen, Grabner, Jaffray

With Sundin:

Sedin-Sedin-Kotalik
Havlat-Sundin-Afinogenov
Burrows-Kesler-Wellwood/Hansen
Pettinger-Johnson-Hordichuk
Extra: Rypien, Hansen/Wellwood, Grabner

Salo-Mitchell
Ohlund-Edler
Krajicek-Baumgartner-McIver are your 5th, 6th, and 7th D Men...

Luongo
Sanford

Afinogenov is just a one year replacement until either Hodson or Grabner is ready to attempt a jump to the top 6 on this team the year after this one. His 'Moneyball' stats are useless, but he has scored 20+ 4 times in his NHL career and scores a point in 60% of the games he plays in therefore he is good for at least 50+ points..Re sign Kotalik with some excess money left over from Afinogenov after you hand raises to Edler and the Twins next year

I think the PP would be excellent If the guys stay healthy
The PK could be excellent with Kesler/Burrows and Johnson/Pettinger? Sundin/Johnson if Sundin does sign
There is grit (Not a lot on top two lines mind you if Sundin does not sign here)

Leaves you the 10.77 in space if Sundin does in fact sign up….Also, if Sundin sees that he could play with the skill guys like Afinogenov and Havlat etc...

Aside from that...there are some other moves out ther to be made...

One could make an argument to trade Luongo...You would have to get someone in return to play Goal...Maybe you trade Luongo, Bieksa, and somthing else (pick/prospect) to Atlanta for 24 year old RFA Kari Lehtonen and Kovalchuk. (Lu would have to waive his NTC to go there...

You could try to move him to Chicago where they are screwed with the Cap...Trade Him back to FLA for Horton and Vokoun?
To Ottawa for Gerber and Spezza?

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
That all sounds pretty good. Pretty pretty pretty good.

JBN,
Call Gillis and tell him whats up.
Really.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hah, If he hasn't got a huge whiteboard with this and 30 other scenarios in his office than he is plain just not doing his job...

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0