Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

FIFA 2018 Group Stage Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Soccer Coach is pretty quiet. Was he appointed Spain's new manager?
I am sorry guys that you feel neglected. There is an event called the World Cup, and pretty much every country in the planet takes it pretty seriously, except of course here in British Columbia. There is no time come here, and get some of you riled up, when there are so many TV programs from other countries having in detail analysis of every team and the event in general. Some of these TV programs are running non-stop, with former world cup participants and winners giving their thoughts and assessments. Of course here in this beautiful province the level of discussion pretty much is:

Sadly, here we have no soccer culture.
Today's game was superb. Spain was excellent and showed the football of the future. Cristiano had an historic performance that will seal his name forever in the event. Spain should be a strong contender, unfortunately the sacking of the coach the day before the event might cost them the cup.

I am looking forward to the games of Brazil (without doubt the best team at this moment thanks to the work of Tite), the brilliance of France, the madness in Mexico (in 44 games they have not repeated a single formation or line up, and there are rumours that they will play with the subs in the first game against Germany). I am also looking forward to Croatia's formidable midfield, and Serbia. Teams from former Yugoslavia can exhibit very imaginative and creative play.
However, the one that I am following the most closely is Peru because their national team has connected with their roots, which is the closest expression to the street soccer of the poor. Overall, this potentially can be one of the most memorable world cups.

Most likely Brazil or Spain will win it, but I hope Peru reaches the final. I really wish that Peru would win the cup. Germany as always will be strong contender, but it looked weak in the last few matches. Argentina is a mess, so they will not go far. I feel bad for Messi. Such a great player wasted in the drama of a dysfunctional national federation. Enjoy, and I shall return when the cup is over.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
SC, if you don't like it here, leave.
I will do. I am preparing for my retirement in Catalunya. The plan is to move to a small town near Barcelona. Then I can commute for the games. I also thought of Montevideo given that real state is more affordable there, and Buenos Aires is nearby. Uruguay is really nice and they know a lot about soccer too. Both places have a rich history and culture when it comes to soccer.

It is hard to live in a place where there is no soccer culture like here. It is hard to believe that people are okey with the idiotic decision to turn the World Cup away from BC, but at lest it is congruent with a population who is really ignorant of the game and have a rudimentary understanding of the sport.

You know. I see Spain/Portugal and Barcelona/Real play, and I reach soccer ecstasy. I see the Whitecaps/Canada play, and I feel like puking. How is it possible that here most people play so bad?
It is not that I do not like the country. I think that here is the best country in the world. It is just the soccer part that sucks. I really do love the game. I have watched every game of the world cup, some even twice. Really enjoying the event.

The performance of Argentina did not surprise me. At the end the crux of the problem is that Messi is not Argentinean. He is an Spaniard when it comes to soccer. He plays like a Catalan. There is no room for him in the Argentinean National Team. He can not connect with Di Maria, Aguero, Rojo, Meza and Bligia. The others simply play different than him. They will not win the World Cup, as much as I wished. France also look very dodgy. Peru played well. Perhaps inexperience cost them the game, but they did well given that they hardly have any stars. Croatia play decently even though they did not had a shot on net in the first half. However, the controlled possession with composure. I really enjoyed watching Luka Modric. Overall, Croatia and Serbia always give a good spectacle.

I have not followed Poland this year. I liked it very much during the Lato years. One of my favourite teams. by the way, was not Lato in Canada for a a while?

robino

Sep 24, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
You are right about the World Cup. It comes once in a lifetime. Treehuggers are happy though as BC is spending more money on bike lanes, helping drug addicts keep shooting up, and other ventures true sport families cannot enjoy. Passion for soccer is limited. Besides the passionate fans here on this site, I am still suprised how many others dont know about the World Cup or that is even happening. More exposure is needed, as TV should be broadcasting more games throughout the year and less of curling, poker and other bullshit games.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
You are right about the World Cup. It comes once in a lifetime. Treehuggers are happy though as BC is spending more money on bike lanes, helping drug addicts keep shooting up, and other ventures true sport families cannot enjoy. Passion for soccer is limited. Besides the passionate fans here on this site, I am still suprised how many others dont know about the World Cup or that is even happening. More exposure is needed, as TV should be broadcasting more games throughout the year and less of curling, poker and other bullshit games.

There's a joke in there somewhere with the punch line being "less fortunate" but with so many games a day I can't seem to find time for the proper witty set up...:p

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
In 2004, Hannes Þór Halldórsson had a try-out with Númi, a team in the lowest Icelandic league (third tier) and did not make it into the squad. Today he saved a penalty from Messi at the World Cup and was man of the match.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/8rk9ca/in_2004_hannes_þór_halldórsson_had_a_tryout_with/?st=JIIEYYE7&sh=3ef55c38

This was awesome. I was in Vegas till last night, and we were looking at games and long shots to wager, and I said we should pick Iceland for a draw. Dammit, we didn’t. We were also watching Spain / Portugal at a Cabanna in the Marquee, and holy shite what a great game! I expected a cautious draw with these two teams playing conservative. Not at all what we got! Some brilliant goals and pretty play. When CR stepped up for that free kick, you could see the open corner, everyone could, including the keeper, yet there was fcuk all he could do about it. A thing of beauty that was!

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
This was a fantastic game. Mexico 1 - Alemania 0.
This is one of those fundamental games in the history of the game. Osorio was crucified the entire qualifier by the press and the coaching community. He never repeated a formation and a squad. Forty games and not one single time they played the same way. He was stubborn and he said that they had chances to win. Pretty much every one accused him of mental insanity. He has gone from villain to genius.

The soccer of the poor overwhelms the soccer of the highly industrialized societies. It shows that humans do not have to be perfectly sculpted athletes to achieve a win in soccer.

The second issue is that Concacaf has advanced. Canada continues to be left behind. This is what people here do not get.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0