Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

FIFA 2018 Group Stage Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
This was a fantastic game. Mexico 1 - Alemania 0.
This is one of those fundamental games in the history of the game. Osorio was crucified the entire qualifier by the press and the coaching community. He never repeated a formation and a squad. Forty games and not one single time they played the same way. He was stubborn and he said that they had chances to win. Pretty much every one accused him of mental insanity. He has gone from villain to genius.

The soccer of the poor overwhelms the soccer of the highly industrialized societies. It shows that humans do not have to be perfectly sculpted athletes to achieve a win in soccer.

The second issue is that Concacaf has advanced. Canada continues to be left behind. This is what people here do not get.

Second best game of the World Cup so far. Happy for our Concacaf brothers.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
"Mexican government says poverty rate rose to 46.2 percent....."

In other words almost half of the population is considered to be in poverty and most of the footballers come from that sector. It is roughly 55 million living in poverty. More than then entire Canadian population.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
"Mexican government says poverty rate rose to 46.2 percent....."

In other words almost half of the population is considered to be in poverty and most of the footballers come from that sector. It is roughly 55 million living in poverty. More than then entire Canadian population.

tenor.gif

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Brazil played great in the first half. Nice to watch them. I thought that Tite has corrected the perennial problem of Brazilian teams. They start to win and then start to piddle around until they throw away the game. The same story since 1950, 82, 86, 98, 06, 10. The 2014 was not a good team, but this team is really good. One more time again they throw the game for nothing. You know guys. I must say that you have grown on me, so tomorrow for the first time I will be cheering for England. I guessed I have grown fond of your plight in the world cup, and after all England is the mother of the game. If it is not for the English upper classes we would not have this magic game. We have to give them credit for it.

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Brazil played great in the first half. Nice to watch them. I thought that Tite has corrected the perennial problem of Brazilian teams. They start to win and then start to piddle around until they throw away the game. The same story since 1950, 82, 86, 98, 06, 10. The 2014 was not a good team, but this team is really good. One more time again they throw the game for nothing. You know guys. I must say that you have grown on me, so tomorrow for the first time I will be cheering for England. I guessed I have grown fond of your plight in the world cup, and after all England is the mother of the game. If it is not for the English upper classes we would not have this magic game. We have to give them credit for it.

I thought you said you weren't going to come back to this site until the tourney was over. Just like Trump - broken promises

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don’t know how to make a poll but in the Germany vs Mexico game around the 70th minute...
Is that a dive by chicharito or a foul by Hummels in your opinion?

I thought it was a foul.

why didn’t they use VAR in that situation?

It was called offside so they were spared a tough decision imo. Is it up the ref to go use VAR or are they told by the VAR team to check out possible infringements?

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don’t know how to make a poll but in the Germany vs Mexico game around the 70th minute...
Is that a dive by chicharito or a foul by Hummels in your opinion?

I thought it was a foul.

why didn’t they use VAR in that situation?

It was called offside so they were spared a tough decision imo. Is it up the ref to go use VAR or are they told by the VAR team to check out possible infringements?

A difficult one. It is not a dive because Hummels pulls him down with the hand on the shoulder of Chicharo, but might not be perceived as foul given trajectory of bodies and he seems to be falling not because only the pull. a difficult one.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

A difficult one. It is not a dive because Hummels pulls him down with the hand on the shoulder of Chicharo, but might not be perceived as foul given trajectory of bodies and he seems to be falling not because only the pull. a difficult one.

So in difficult situations like this thatvare not clear cut then isn’t VAR supposed to be used?

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
VAR could have been used there but the ultimate decision lies with the referee. If he says he saw the contact and did not perceive it to be enough for a foul VAR cannot overrule him.

VAR can only advise when they see the referees on the field make a "clear and obvious" error. Even when they do identify something, the referee will take this new information and then make his own decision. In this specific case there was not a "clear and obvious" error (like, for example, the Greizemann penalty when the referee did not see the contact), with this incident it is a matter of interpretation. The referee on the field had a good view of the incident and decided no penalty, so there was no need for VAR.

This does not mean, however, that this was not a penalty. There can be different opinions, as has always been the case with footballing decisions!

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
VAR could have been used there but the ultimate decision lies with the referee. If he says he saw the contact and did not perceive it to be enough for a foul VAR cannot overrule him.

VAR can only advise when they see the referees on the field make a "clear and obvious" error. Even when they do identify something, the referee will take this new information and then make his own decision. In this specific case there was not a "clear and obvious" error (like, for example, the Greizemann penalty when the referee did not see the contact), with this incident it is a matter of interpretation. The referee on the field had a good view of the incident and decided no penalty, so there was no need for VAR.

This does not mean, however, that this was not a penalty. There can be different opinions, as has always been the case with footballing decisions!
I think that this is good explanation. Most of the Mexican press did not make an issue of this play. It falls within the situations that are highly discretionary. I am also curious of the impact of the VAR on the play and the risks that players take. It was a difficult game to referee. German players can be very smart when it comes to diving, and the difference in the size of players made difficult to see when it was a foul.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ok, let’s get real, Mexico is a very poor country with a very wealthy upper class. No middle class to speak of, and a very poor lower class. Just so happens there is a hugely rich upper class bringing up the average.

So stoked for them. Loved the way they played, and a beautiful build up on the goal.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ok, let’s get real, Mexico is a very poor country with a very wealthy upper class. No middle class to speak of, and a very poor lower class. Just so happens there is a hugely rich upper class bringing up the average.

So stoked for them. Loved the way they played, and a beautiful build up on the goal.

Is Mexico not Rwanda or South Sudan FFS.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No, but those countries aren’t qualifying.

Be real. Next time you are in Mexico get yourself off the beaten path and just observe.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
No, but those countries aren’t qualifying.

Be real. Next time you are in Mexico get yourself off the path and get beaten while the authorities just observe.

I corrected your post for you Dude.

Next time I'm at a Canadian national game I'm going to start a we need more poor people cheer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0