Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

FIFA 2010 World Cup

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Diego Forlan is a one man wrecking crew, what was their manager thinking taking him off?! As good as Forlan has been, Sneijder is the most valuable player so far, scoring and creating goals at crucial times, Forlan might have the best individual performances, but I don't see the Oranje where they are without Sneijder, Van Der Vaart couldn't play that well in a central role.

This game is the first game in the playoff round with dodgy officiating, aside from the round of 16. Howard Webb and the Japanese fellow should be doing all these games, they have been the best imho.

Hoping hard for Spain to win, as I don't see them matching Holland, but I like Zee Germans to win.. and that will set up an immense game for the finale.

On Van Bommell: He is a tricky guy, he takes so many fouls but seems to never get carded... he is borderline dirty, but always seems to escape the ire of the officials... it was the same for FC Bayern in the Champions League this season too. I don't know how he does it, but good on him!

Hup Holland Hup!

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Glad to see the Oranje win, my mom is German/Dutch, so I'd love to be in Jamaica and watching a Dutch/German final, I can't lose. Other than that whole Italian debacle of course :)

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The only thing looking really shaky on the Dutch side right now is a sleepy Stekelenburg. The Forlan goal, while a screamer of a shot, could have been stopped... He was on his heels not really expecting the shot imho, the second also could have been stopped... but lets not split hairs ;)

Bigun

Aug 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Someone needs to put RVP on a milk carton. Where the hell has he been? Rafael vdvaart also looked out of sorts and lends to the theory that you can't play him with schnieder. Hats off to de zeeuw for trying to continue after that wallop to the face. I wish the Dutch would have pushed the ball out wide to Robben and Kuyt more. They seem far too conservative in the middle at times. Getting de Jong and vdwiel back will sturdy them up a bit though and let them go forward perhaps. Thought the Butcher (Boularouz) filled in well but made some heart-stopping back passes/headers.

I remain encoureged that they are finding a way to get the job done. Not traditionally a staple of Dutch sides. The late goal ruined my prediction to Regs of 3-1, but I will take it.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Someone needs to put RVP on a milk carton. Where the hell has he been? Rafael vdvaart also looked out of sorts and lends to the theory that you can't play him with schnieder.

I don't know why Huntelaar hasn't been given more of a shot, I know you could play Kuyt up front alone and have Rafa play out wide on the left, but that would take some of the motor out of the midfield.

The way a lot of the balls are going to RVP high and while he is alone has me thinking Huntelaar wouldn't be a drop off, I can only count one or two times today where Van Persie attempted to dribble someone or had/created a chance, Huntelaar will by his size alone create the same imho.

Bigun

Aug 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Diego Forlan is a one man wrecking crew, what was their manager thinking taking him off?! !

Coaches explanation....

"From the first minute he had a problem. I'm not dumb enough to take him out at 3-1 when the match wasn't lost," Tabarez said. "He was injured and could not continue."

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It wasn't long after Forlan was taken off that Uruguay got one back... odd to question for whatever reason if the tactic gets immediate results, no?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not questioning it now, even though I guess I am vocalizing it now... I was asking the couple sitting next to me WTF!? when Tabarez or whatever his name is did the change.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It wasn't long after Forlan was taken off that Uruguay got one back... odd to question for whatever reason if the tactic gets immediate results, no?

It was good for Uruguay to make a move and it got a goal but wouldn't you want Forlan out there and possibly push another guy up???!!!. It looked like the Uruguay coach was tossing in the towel. I wanted a Dutch win despite my former player Andreas Enrich who lived half his life in BC now back in Uruguay and their side looking pretty decent for a young group.

I recall Jim Easton Senior doing a similar thing to taking out a Forlan when he took out Travis Turner and another guy who were our best players on the day but we were losing 2-0 to HOS's PCL senior team in a game for a Provincial spot between the juniors and seniors. I was helping him that year with the SFU JVs. When he mentioned this was his thinking I was shocked but we ended up winning 4 to 2. It immediately turned the other guys around like Mark Slater and Ritchie Sumner who suddenly caught fire and we won. It worked in moments of the change and the game went from us being torn apart to us tearing them apart. It did help that Wesburn had emptied their bench and used their subs too soon and it was their season start and near our end.

I also liked the idea I read about where FIFA should toss out yellow cards picked up in the round of 16 being AFTER the second stage is completed so you don't end up with less than the top players in the quarter and semis. This thinking means there is no game where yellow cards don't count as if you pick one up in second stage it means the player has to be careful in the quarter finals and semis.

This writer blames Uruguay's manager and his 4 4 2 for the loss:

Coach lost game for Uruguay

By GARETH WHEELER, QMI Agency

Last Updated: July 6, 2010 5:35pm

http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/soccer/2010/07/06/14628126.html

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Actually Reccos I don't mind the new yellow card rule because the way it is set up it means that if you accumulate too many yellows you can't miss the final. The only thing I don't like about the new system is that instead of increasing the cards as well they kept it at two cards still. One card in 5 games is tough for some players to manage in terms of positions on the pitch and which refs are reffing. They should make it 3 yellows kind of like club football.

Kevin Hector

Apr 9, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm looking forward to watching some good football. I don't really care who win's, just hope it's a good game.Holland vs Germany will be a war. Holland vs Spain will be the story of a first time winner. just hope the Ref's don't become the show.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree with you Luch...but I think it will go past 90. PS I never thought I would hear a parallel between SFU JVs or Wesburn or whomever and the Uruguayan National Team. :D

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0