Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Fcuk the NDP

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Living costs in BC are a lot higher in BC than other cities - higher gas costs, higher housing costs, etc, which means that comparing BC teachers salaries to salaries in other provinces can be misleading. Teachers haven't had an increase in years so they want a signing bonus to make up for the wages they have lost. They could be asking to have the signing bonus added to their base salary which would result in larger actual dollar wage increases in the future, but they aren't asking for that. If they get a signing bonus of $3,000 then they will have a thousand taken back by federal and provincial governments in income taxes.

If I had a young son thinking of a career, then I would urge him to be a firefighter instead of a teacher. Firefighters get much better pay, and they don't have to deal with mouthy and moody teenagers. I know - don't get you started on firefighters.

WaterBreak

Feb 18, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
I love how this issue has totally polarized people. I was attacked on FB today because i chose to not side either way in the fight. Not working for the goverment and i don't have kids, so why the hell do i care if they are on strike. if you read all the ad's and listen to all the press conferences which seem to happen every time some asshat from either side farts, who would wanna pick sides when the people representing each side have the makings of cartoon villains. right down to the creepy mustache and beatty lifeless eyes. my 2 cents.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
WaterBreak, if you're gainfully employed you'd likely care as a BC Taxpayer. Agreed though on Black v White - The Issue itself is gray, but everyone is acting Black and White, myself included.

Thought this was an interesting little read. BCTF's classroom rhetoric aside I find this to be fascinating.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/06/23/jordan-bateman-hey-teachers-economic-growth-higher-wages/

When the TF uses their members' dues moneys to lobby against all kinds of economic drivers and the development of additional development it's tough for John & Jane Doe in Industry to get behind them.

This is what seperates the TF from the other Public Sector workers unions, they aren't (generally speaking) Political Organisations...

Last edited:

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From my understanding, average BCTF member dues are $1600/year which I hear is the HIGHEST in all of Canada.

40,000 teachers, that's $64,000,000 per year the BCTF collects.

Can I ask how the fcuk you run out of money for strike pay after only 3 days?

More importantly, why the fcuk is NO ONE asking these questions?!?!?!

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I drove into town this morning from Cassiar to Cambie on Hastings and there were two lanes for traffic and one lane for bike and buses. The two lanes were jammed, and I did not see one bicycle in the third lane although I saw two or three buses. I guess that was for about a 30 block stretch.

Are the teachers on strike or something?

Reds-16

Nov 26, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
On a side note kind of, why is it when I drive by a given school there are on 3 to 6 teachers on the picket line? Should they not all be there, or does on strike mean you rotate who is there on any given day? Sorry not in a union so not 100% clear on how it works? So to the average Joe it kinda looks like strike means picket for a day or two a week and take the other days off.

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
On a side note kind of, why is it when I drive by a given school there are on 3 to 6 teachers on the picket line? Should they not all be there, or does on strike mean you rotate who is there on any given day? Sorry not in a union so not 100% clear on how it works? So to the average Joe it kinda looks like strike means picket for a day or two a week and take the other days off.

These days, any teacher who into footy is out from 9:00- 10:45 and then again from 12:00-1:45.

What happens in the knock out rounds with overtime? I predict the BCTF will fold on their demands as we advance through the WC

dutch08

Sep 21, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I love how this issue has totally polarized people. I was attacked on FB today because i chose to not side either way in the fight. Not working for the goverment and i don't have kids, so why the hell do i care if they are on strike. if you read all the ad's and listen to all the press conferences which seem to happen every time some asshat from either side farts, who would wanna pick sides when the people representing each side have the makings of cartoon villains. right down to the creepy mustache and beatty lifeless eyes. my 2 cents.

This kind of internet bullying is a direct result of the underfunded education system. With unlimited massages for our teachers, they'll finally be able to tackle this problem. Another pink shirt day perhaps?

WaterBreak

Feb 18, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
i know this is ttp, but i had to vent about this dumb chic that had a go at me about the strike.
Apparently i'm on par with hitler and religious extremists because i haven't throw my self in front of the evil goverment steam roller like all the other brave selfless teachers on strike. i was in a union, a big one, didn't like that i was doing better work that 95 % of the work force, yet, when lay off's come, i'm first to go because of a number.
now i'm in a performance based shop, were i will never be out of work. so i stay out of the fight because i'm bias. not that i support the goverment, i just dislike big union.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
WB,

Exactly why I don't not have this conversation with the Wife... different life experiences create different viewpoints which I respect even though they are wrong.

I tend to get a bit passionate when expressing my viewpoint thus, we don't discuss.

Same with religion.

Our marriage is tight lipped :)

WaterBreak

Feb 18, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
I feel ya Regs. my father in law worked for a saw mill her entire life so she loves big union, union household. i grew up with both my parents being independent contractors. Arguments are hell, but make up sex is f-ing fantastic.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From my understanding, average BCTF member dues are $1600/year which I hear is the HIGHEST in all of Canada.

40,000 teachers, that's $64,000,000 per year the BCTF collects.

Can I ask how the fcuk you run out of money for strike pay after only 3 days?

More importantly, why the fcuk is NO ONE asking these questions?!?!?!

They have been asked but surprisingly fall on deaf ears.....no one has ever answered this question.....

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Or you have teachers who voted NO and refuse to stand on the picket line....which means the 86-14 number might just be a load of bollocks....

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So teachers show up at a couple of construction sites for new schools in Victoria, shutting them down until the construction companies go and get injunctions. Ummmm, way to help improve your working conditions and way to make sure others don't get paid (construction workers) so you can further your agenda.

And now at the last hour, we have the BCTF announcing they will picket summer schools causing school boards to cancel everything unless a deal is done in the next couple of days.

Is public support really behind the BCTF right now? Or is it the same public support that had Dix with a 20 point lead heading into the polls? :rolleyes:

And my final comment here to ponder - I've read numerous times about how funding for BC students is the lowest in Canada, but I've also read BC students rank first in Canada for standardized tests. Sounds like the government has it right in getting maximum performance for our money and with results like that, the government are the ones that are in it for the kids - why throw more money at a system that is already at the top? :)

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
...or the results are just skewed by having more kids who are better at taking tests here (go new Canadians from places where studying for tests has a higher value placed on it :rolleyes:). Doesn't necessarily mean we're able to make them smarter here, just better at regurgitating factoids.:D

Why aren't there more teachers on picket duty? Last time I had to put up with this situation, they were being pulled for shifts of 1.5-2 hours in numbers just sufficient enough to say that they were present. Different reasons why you wouldn't see more out, including conscientious objection (a la the Captain), those watching footy, those with their own kids to keep track of, those who are just plain lazy, etc., or just not their shift.

How much do teachers deserve? Seriously, how much should a teaching position be worth?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
And the teacher's supposed low national pay is skewed by what other current have-not provinces gave their teachers years ago... no wonder Ontario Teachers came to the rescue a week or so ago :rolleyes:

Any hard numbers on where the BCTF benefits package ranks nationally?

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0