Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Downhill / Freeride

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well, thedude and I hit the Woodlot this morning. Perfect day to ride. Not too hot for the hike up(which seemed a lot shorter today for some reason)and perfect for the way down.

Riding up I told thedude that I would huck the last drop on Hoots and I did, but will have more on that later.:(

We started out on Crazy Carpenter. Not a bad trail. Very shoreish with some built up stuff and some skinny log rides with ladders in the middle. I found it a little slick so I rode around most of the stuff.

Then we hit Upper Toadstool. I liked this run. It had a lot more flow than Carpenter and seemed a little funner. Lot's of ladders and stuff. Good fun.

Then we hit Giant Killer. Good solid flowing run where you could hit a few things with speed.

Then to Hoots and the aforememtioned drop. We cruised down Hoots pretty good and got to the last drop. Thedude hucked it and aired the bump out on the other side. So I went. I got halfway down and all was going well, when something went terribly wrong. I don't know what happend exactly but before I knew it my face was skipping along the rocks and I was taking hits from every direction. It was a nasty wipeout that left me bruised and battered and with a flat. After some quick patching, and me going back up on thedude's bike and doing the drop(this time succesfully)we continued our ride.

We hit Quick Hit and Shotgun for the rideout. Both good trails that I enjoy.

Dude,

Fullface saved me today. If it wasn't for that helmet I would have broken my nose huge. I am in your debt. Again.;) No leg armour didn't help my right shin though. It is fcuked up.:( That and my chest. Mangled. If you ask nice tomorrow, I might show you.:eek:

Thanks for being tour guide again thedude.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have lost count of how many times the FF has saved me. Bottom line: you need one for freeriding.

Looks like I'll be free for a Friday excusion to the shore. Let's see if we can all hook up for a couple of loops, and a couple of bevies. personal preference: Cypress, but will gladly hit CBC / Neds / Boogieman as well.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No can do for Friday Dude. We have a game in Delta at 7:30. thedude and I are heading up to the Woodlot again on Saturday if you can swing it. What about you Notty?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So...TheRob has a new / used bike. I nice bike, suitable for freeride. He finally bought armor last week, although he's still riding with my full face helmet and gloves.

That said, he's a gamer. I took TheRob and the, erm, thedude:rolleyes: to Cypress to show them some old school Shore style riding. This is where the big boys come to play. I'll let TheRob tell all about his first real experience riding the rockfaces.:D

A little slick out there yesterday...I scared myself a couple of times! I like to call that controlled, agressive decending thedude. On the edge baby. Kept the rubber side down, didn't I?

Great day in the hills, and at the pub afterwards for pints.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cypress was horrible. I appreciate the fact that Dude thought I could handle it and had no problem taking me there, but it was too hard for this noob. I walked probably 70% of it.

Neds on the other hand was magic. I did a lot more of the stuff on the trail and got down it pretty quick as opposed to other times. I would have like do tride one more loop, but Dude and his sidekick, thedude had to get home.

The pints and the waitress' ass were sweet. Even though I hated Cypress, aside from playing soccer and perhaps hanging out with the wife and child, I couldn't think of anything better to do on a beautiful Sunday.

Good times.

Looking forward to Saturday at the Woodlot.:D:D:D:D

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's why I have a giggle anytime someone from out of town (Loops, Interior, or USA) makes a claim that the Shore isn't tough. Well it's not, if you've only experienced Neds. The Shore is toughest when you get into the old school trails. There a very good reason why Andrew Shandro, Wade Simmons, and Dave Watson are considered among the top five freeriders worldwide.

thedude

Jun 4, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Truly the SHORE

I must say, Cypress gives some ammo to the argument that the shore is the most technical riding in the world.

I would say that I am a pretty experience 'technical' rider. I have over the last year began to 'Freeride' and learn stunts and drops. However, Cypress is probably the most technical hill/trail system I have ever set my eyes upon and ridden.

Finally a place that challenged me to try something technically difficult. It was slick, rocky, rooty and in places steep. I want more, I want allot more. Anytime you guys want to go there, give me a call.

I felt for therob, it was over his head at this time, however I give him 2 months, then he has NO EXCUSES!!

Seymour, Neds was okay. I want harder! However, given the present injury It was all I wanted.

Maybe when the planets align again and the wife hands me a beer on her way outside to cut the grass, we can ride CBC again :rolleyes:

Later,

Thedude

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Given it's winter, we may want to hit Fromme a couple of times. Ladies Only would be a good one for TheRob to wean himself on. I'll take you guys up there next time. The climb is about 45 minutes up, but not overly difficult. OK in the wet or cold, not so fun in the heat.

It has a lot of old school too, just not as extreme as Cypress. Plus, lot's of built up stunts on Fromme...Digger's mountain.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Maybe when the planets align again and the wife hands me a beer on her way outside to cut the grass, we can ride CBC again
thedude! What are you doing?!? You're fcuking with your karma man.

:rolleyes:

Fromme sounds interesting Dude. A couple of weeks perhaps when we all have a Sunday off? Maybe Notty the lovesick whore will even come. Doubt it though.;)

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I love all these pictures of other people riding their bikes and then you talking about yourselves like you were doing what they were. Did I ever tell you about the time I went went surfing ...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'll bring back some surfing photos from Guana Quay- flying out in 4.5 weeks.

That, or photos of me falling off a board. I'll have a special photo for you, Deloris.

Tough to tell if that's a guy or chick. Speaking of chicks, try and find one of the girl from Blue Crush. She is a hottie. Notty is in love with her, too. No, he actually hasn't dated her. Shoc-king, I know.:rolleyes:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Results from the Redbull Rampage, the unofficial Freeride World Championships:

1. Cedric Gracia - France $3500
2. Andrew Shandro, Canada $2200
3. Glyn O'Brien, Ireland $1200
4. Michal Marosi, Czech Rep. $800
5. Steve Romaniuk Canada $600
6. Thomas Vanderham - Canada $400
7. Greg Minaar, South Africa $300
8. Mike Kinrade, Canada $200
9. Greg Smith, USA $200
10. Kyle Richey, Canada $200
11. Richie Schley - Canada $200
12. Joe Schwartz, Canada

Apparently, the event wasn’t without controversy. Freeride is about taking chances, pulling tricks, and going big. That said, Some of the best riders in qualifying didn’t make it though to the finals due to poor judging scores, after being penalized for minor slip-ups. Some of the smarter riders recognized this early, and opted for easier, for conservative runs where they could safely throw in some style, and get through to the finals.

Wade Simmons, 2001 Red Bull Champ, was apparently robbed. He went HUGE on his first run, and stuck a landing on a line only one other rider was willing to attempt (Englishman Gee Atherton, who crashed hard). He landed this impossible line with a big hip move in the air. Balls and style. Wade later washed out on a speed section, and was penalized big for it. Instead of taking it easy on his second run, he tried to go big again, but had a couple of falls. Basically, the judges penalized him for putting a foot dow. For Christ’s sake…this isn’t a trials comp!

Anyhow, Canadians occupied 7 of the final 12 spots. Sandro was apparently magic in his runs, only to be outdone by downhiller Cedic Carcia, who threw in a backflip off a kicker. Carcia apparently had the style edge. Interesting that the top three spots were taken by Downhillers.

The money list shows how much of a fringe sport Freeride really is.

Linky: http://www.nsmb.com/shore_news/rampageplaybyplay_10_03.php

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ahhhh, nothing like playing ninety minutes of soccer and then heading straight to the Woodlot on an empty tummy for a quick ride. TheRob rode solo for the first time today, and I didn't mind it. Of course it's funner to ride with friends but what do you do.

I wanted to push myself a bit today and I did. Falling of a 10' ladder drop wasn't what I meant though. The good news is I have now "hucked" eight feet. The bad news is, the landing wasn't that nice. It didn't hurt though. I guess that's a good thing.

I hit Hoots first. It is in amazing shape right now and was a lot of fun. There is a gap on there that I'm going to do next time. I swear. Quick Hit next. That is where the "huck" occured. I went back up and did it properly as soon as I gathered myself. Easy peasy. Hit a few jumps on the trail. Nothing major but more then what I've done.

Back up for another of Quick Hit. One MAJOR wipeout over the bars. Fatique I think. And lack of food. Then up to Hoots again and then down for the day.

Nice to get a quick ride in. I've never seen the Woodlot as crowded as it was today. It was crazy.

Looking forward to Fromme or CBC on Tuesday. I'm hoping for sun and CBC. I don't want to ride up hill.:(

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Check out this video of the 2003 Redbull Rampage.

This takes a little while to download, but well worth it. If somebody with computer savy can figure out how to put this on TTP, that'd be great.

One word: sick.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I downloaded it from Pinkbike last week. There is some pretty crazy shite in there. That'll be me tomorrow.:D

Fromme I guess hey?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It shows the skill level, that's for sure. These guys aren't just riding up to a single drop, but they are hitting a bunch in succession, many throwing down with style.

Did you see Scheley's one hander off the 20 or so footter? Nuts.

Fromme tomorrow. Bring some water. 45 minutes up, 1 hour down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0